As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    The HGG packs are an insult.

They could give you 40 packs instead of 22 and it would just mean another 720 dust on average. It's not like a bunch of packs really gives you enough cards to play with. They really overvalue how much a pack is actually worth to a player, and if they want HGG to get up off the ground, how about give me an actual incentive instead of asking me to spend money on par with a Steam game purchase for a completely normal amount of packs, and a cardback?

If they were like, "Oh hey, spend $30 and get 22 packs. Plus you get access to spectating HGG games through the game client. Plus you get this cardback. Plus if enough people do it, all 22 packs will be golden. Plus if enough people do it, we'll give you 30 packs. Plus if enough do it you each get a random golden Leggo from Standard."

Like, how do they not understand how to do this? There are many examples already out there who run major gaming tournaments and try to whip up a prize pool for them. Plus there's fucking Kickstarter ffs.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    AudioFeelAudioFeel Registered User new member
    Can't wait for it!

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Thawmus wrote: »

They could give you 40 packs instead of 22 and it would just mean another 720 dust on average. It's not like a bunch of packs really gives you enough cards to play with. They really overvalue how much a pack is actually worth to a player, and if they want HGG to get up off the ground, how about give me an actual incentive instead of asking me to spend money on par with a Steam game purchase for a completely normal amount of packs, and a cardback?

If they were like, "Oh hey, spend $30 and get 22 packs. Plus you get access to spectating HGG games through the game client. Plus you get this cardback. Plus if enough people do it, all 22 packs will be golden. Plus if enough people do it, we'll give you 30 packs. Plus if enough do it you each get a random golden Leggo from Standard."

Like, how do they not understand how to do this? There are many examples already out there who run major gaming tournaments and try to whip up a prize pool for them. Plus there's fucking Kickstarter ffs.

"Buy our expac pre-order and get 50 packs for $50!"

"but $50 normally gets you 40 packs....."

"It's 40+10 packs!! For $50!!!"

also see the one time where they were like "man yknow what y'all are right let's bump up that pre-order bonus, 70 packs for fiddy bones there you go fam" and people were like "hey yeah that's nice" and then they promptly dropped that

cause literally NEXT EXPAC it was straight back to "fiddy for fiddy! or eighty for eighty and you can get ~*ya boi mecha jaraxxus*~ and you can buy both u guise :rotate:"

like they realized that 70 for fiddy was just TOO GENEROUS and oh no we can't be giving out that much we can't let people actually get a good deal on this shit. we gotta take a shitty deal and gussy it up a bit and make it feel like they're getting a good deal

guess what blizzo, even if you take a piece of shit and put some sparkle and glitter and sequins on it and make it looks all ~*fancy*~, it's still a piece of shit

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »

"Buy our expac pre-order and get 50 packs for $50!"

"but $50 normally gets you 40 packs....."

"It's 40+10 packs!! For $50!!!"

also see the one time where they were like "man yknow what y'all are right let's bump up that pre-order bonus, 70 packs for fiddy bones there you go fam" and people were like "hey yeah that's nice" and then they promptly dropped that

cause literally NEXT EXPAC it was straight back to "fiddy for fiddy! or eighty for eighty and you can get ~*ya boi mecha jaraxxus*~ and you can buy both u guise :rotate:"

like they realized that 70 for fiddy was just TOO GENEROUS and oh no we can't be giving out that much we can't let people actually get a good deal on this shit. we gotta take a shitty deal and gussy it up a bit and make it feel like they're getting a good deal

guess what blizzo, even if you take a piece of shit and put some sparkle and glitter and sequins on it and make it looks all ~*fancy*~, it's still a piece of shit

Also, again, those 20 extra packs likely resulted in a few lucky people getting another Leggo, and most other people just got an extra 800 dust that they could spend on crafting a couple Epics they didn't have yet. They're being assholes if they're saying that was too generous.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    The average dust value for a pack is approximately 100

And yes, they are being pretty greedy. "You can buy 80 packs slightly discounted and also 50 slightly discounted" is pretty sad really, especially since that only gets you a bit above the halfway mark to owning every card

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    I really thought they were on the right path until last expac and now this nonsense

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/blog/22483774/

new blog they put out called "In the Works"

- they like the current meta (booooo).

- there's no balance changes coming get fucked (boooooourns).

- even less so for wild get omega fucked (sorry, yilias).

- four new classic cards coming (yes, classic, so they won't ever rotate out):

89VQBSORNRWX1537218771122.pngUXE9RVCFF1X51537218771141.png
    LK16H3MHJJX81537218771974.pngHNR2VQV10LL21537218771098.png

(it's not Shatter, wa-hey!)

- new players start at rank 50 work up to 25, it's for new players only. i'm not sure this solves the problem tbh.

- in-game tournaments are basically on indefinite hold, oooookay then

- welcome bundle is back except get a random classic dragon legendary

- halloween event coming

- special secret new paladin hero for purchase y'alls gonna have to click and find out yourself i ain't spoiling that

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    So, I have plenty of dust but almost no gold... if I’m going to spend my scant coins on packs, what expansions are most worthwhile right now?

If you have basically nothing from the current Standard sets then I think Knights of the Frozen Throne is a good investment. Many of the DKs are disgustingly powerful and things like Lich King and Keleseth are just really strong and fit in a lot of places. Kobolds and Catacombs is similarly powerful, though many of the most powerful and versatile cards from that set aren't legendary so it's possible that crafting needed cards from there might make sense.

Now, on the other hand, if you're looking to get cards with the most longevity... Boomsday and Witchwoods have the longest time until rotation, but I feel like they're simply less powerful sets than last year's, almost across the board. There are a number of absolute standout cards but except for Baku/Genn I don't think any of them will define any decks you want to build.

The KFT event they have coming up is a good opportunity to pick up a bunch of packs there, with a 30 Frozen Throne packs for $20 deal landing tomorrow.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Lack of nerfs/balance tweaks is... a mistake.

The classic card thing is kinda neat if you don’t subscribe to the idea that classic should rotate out entirely

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Mags has pretty solid classic cards so I’m confused why they needed to add 2 more.

I’m fine with it, cause I play mage more than anything, I just don’t get it.

• Options
    i hope that the 50 to 25 grind doesn't involve 5 stars to advance through each rank; playing 125 wins to get onto the "real" ladder sounds like absolute hell.

• Options
    Wow, even more straight nerfs to primordial glyph

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

- new players start at rank 50 work up to 25, it's for new players only. i'm not sure this solves the problem tbh.

- halloween event coming

- special secret new paladin hero for purchase y'alls gonna have to click and find out yourself i ain't spoiling that

that hero is the ultimate troll, fucking christ.

• Options
    i hope that the 50 to 25 grind doesn't involve 5 stars to advance through each rank; playing 125 wins to get onto the "real" ladder sounds like absolute hell.

If you’re legitimately new, I don’t see why it’d be an issue, especially since you can’t lose stars.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

If you’re legitimately new, I don’t see why it’d be an issue, especially since you can’t lose stars.

Heck it sucks going from 25 to 20 with the 5 stars. Even more painful going that many.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    It's an absolute ton of games to get to a better ranked chest, assuming it's the same chest from 20 to 50.

Hopefully they have all that stuff figured out...

• Options
    An actually new player will not be able to field a viable deck for a while - unless they are following a specific netdeck list and are dusting everything to make it

• Options
    Thinking about it a bit more, it really does just hinge on the reward structure. If every rank from 50 to 25 gives a pack-sized reward then it'd probably feel pretty good (while also making ranks 25 to 20 feel even worse, lol)

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

- halloween event coming

No trolls can't be paladins

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

- halloween event coming

well akshually the zandari trolls coming later are expected to be able to be paladins

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I was 1 card off a complete Classic set, rip.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Heck it sucks going from 25 to 20 with the 5 stars. Even more painful going that many.

You can also still face people with no legitimate business being ranked that low, if they slacked off for even a month and get fucking crushed.

A regimented number of wins with people guaranteed to be new - or at least people playing new accounts - prior to being thrown into the bloodbath, is a good thing.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    <clicks link and looks at paladin hero>
    <thinks he's reading it wrong>
    <double checks>
    "...Really?"

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options

- halloween event coming

well akshually the zandari trolls coming later are expected to be able to be paladins

The Zandalari trolls have lost their abilities to be paladins because of the death of Rezan, the loa of kings

did you think i wasn't prepared for your attempt at pedantry

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

- halloween event coming

The Zandalari trolls have lost their abilities to be paladins because of the death of Rezan, the loa of kings

did you think i wasn't prepared for your attempt at pedantry

they will regain it when Vol'jin becomes the new loa of kings

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I read that in Colbert's voice from that interview where he's talking about figures from Tolkien mythology.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    ZpH2FZS.jpg

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular

You can also still face people with no legitimate business being ranked that low, if they slacked off for even a month and get fucking crushed.

A regimented number of wins with people guaranteed to be new - or at least people playing new accounts - prior to being thrown into the bloodbath, is a good thing.

Definitely agree. I fell pretty terrible smashing obviously new people running stuff like Goldshire Footman and River Croc just because I didn't play for a few months. But hey, Blizz thought we were evenly matched sooooooo.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    You can apparently skip the run-up from 50 to 25, so... If you get from 50 to like 48 and decide, "I don't want to do this, I want to be at Rank 25," I think you can just do that. Still, doubling the number of ranks seems like a huge shift. Why not 30, or 35? I guess the theory is that when you are truly new to the game, you should be coddled like the baby you are (i.e. extremely limited deck options), and you should have an opportunity to play against other babies for a BUNCH of games, even if you're riding a win streak that will shoot you up the ranks. People are less likely to get discouraged if they can ease into it, play more games against similarly-baby decks, and play for a longer period before they start hitting leggos and netdecks.

The new Pally hero............... I am not cool with that. HS is the fun, zany, goofy offshoot in the Warcraft Universe and has been doing its own thing for a good while now, with its own lore and whatever, but....... I dunno. I don't wanna be overly sensitive, but this seems like a little much, and I hope it's not as annoying as I imagine it might be.

The fact that they're adding Classic cards is, in my view, freaking awesome, because it means that they're willing to make changes other than Hall of Fame nerfs for the good of class balance and overall experience.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
    Play as Jaina! Thrall! Tyrande! Malfurion! ... a murloc ... a robot demon? ... hello

• Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    You can apparently skip the run-up from 50 to 25, so... If you get from 50 to like 48 and decide, "I don't want to do this, I want to be at Rank 25," I think you can just do that. Still, doubling the number of ranks seems like a huge shift. Why not 30, or 35? I guess the theory is that when you are truly new to the game, you should be coddled like the baby you are (i.e. extremely limited deck options), and you should have an opportunity to play against other babies for a BUNCH of games, even if you're riding a win streak that will shoot you up the ranks. People are less likely to get discouraged if they can ease into it, play more games against similarly-baby decks, and play for a longer period before they start hitting leggos and netdecks.

A giant pile of games against other newbies gives you an opportunity to earn gold & buy packs before you have to face more legitimate opponents. If it's there for people who want it and you can opt out of it at any time, this is nothing but a boon for new players.

Maaaaybe there will be some ragged butthole who will start a new account and buy a fucking truckload of packs and be a whale in the fishbowl, but that person's stay in the training wheels part of the ladder has a built in expiration on it.

None of us have to go through it, new people can benefit without being dumpstered, card backs are tied to number of wins instead of rank achieved so they don't miss out.. I don't see the downside.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Oh I agree on their attempted filter trying to keep those with Raptors, Yetis and Crocs together for a while. But I can see it getting painful trying to ladder up each level of 5 wins (maximum) after a while.

Wonder if they'll toss some of these newer players right now into the 50s. It would be nice to them to be able to win. Heck I just played against a poor new player destroying them and felt bad. They didn't mind.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
    Play as Jaina! Thrall! Tyrande! Malfurion! ... a murloc ... a robot demon? ... hello

Yeah. When they dropped the "Heroes of Warcraft" subtitle, I figured it was just because they were doing that D3 event, HotS and OW card backs, stuff like that. Blizzard World stuff. Now we are firmly in the realm of "Hearthstone: Heroes of Memecraft."

Which is generally fine. I like HS memes. I just... whatever. I'm not actually bitter about it. I mostly just hope it isn't as annoying as I expect it might be. I rarely have to Squelch people these days.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I mostly just hope it isn't as annoying as I expect it might be. I rarely have to Squelch people these days.

I suspect every game against that hero will be auto-squelch.

• Options
    Mags has pretty solid classic cards so I’m confused why they needed to add 2 more.

I’m fine with it, cause I play mage more than anything, I just don’t get it.

Because they removed Ice Block and Ice Lance prior and they wanted to make sure each class has the same number of cards.

See also: Power Overwhelming and Conceal

There was simply a number disparity, that's all.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Oooooh, riiight. That's one of those things I missed.

• Options
    That they chose the most uninspired cards possible is the really annoying part

You have fewer cards but we don't really want to create a card that could possibly ever be useful or interesting... Everybody likes random cards!

• Options
    it's probably for the best that they're pretty weak cards; the mage spell pool right now is insane

• Options
    Just make babbling book classic...

• Options
    edited September 2018
    it's probably for the best that they're pretty weak cards; the mage spell pool right now is insane

They're not even that weak. They're perfectly fine cards.

Will they see serious play? Nah. But they're actually very good cards for brand new players because they have a pretty decent power level.

I'm actually glad they chose to print new cards instead of rotating in old Wild cards (or, god forbid, fucking Shatter)

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png