Add yourself to our ever growing friends list here!
Hearthstone New Player Guide:
1. Install Game
A special word from MncDover:
2. Play through intro stuff (Mage training)
3. Unlock every class by defeating them
4. Choose a class and level it up to 10 in any mode (You earn less XP against the AI, but will almost always win)
5. Do this with all the other classes (100 free gold!)
6. Go back and defeat all 9 Expert AI classes (100 free gold!)
7. Choose a class and level it up to 20 in any mode
8. Play an Arena run (it's free so don't worry about going 0-3)
9. Disenchant a card (typically a common 5 dust card) (95 free dust!)
10. Add some PA folks to your friends list and observe them winning a game (free pack!)
11. Find friends or relatives and play one game on an iPhone/iPad and Samsung phone/Tablet (1 free pack per system!)
12. **OPTIONAL: Spend $5 for the Welcome Pack (10 packs + 1 Legendary)
13. Complete daily quests, and win any 3 games, to earn gold (in Casual or Constructed)
14. Try and reach as high a rank as possible each season, but at least aim for ranks 20, 15, 10, or 5. (Free cards/dust - see below)
15. Enter and win one Tavern Brawl each week (Free pack, but Wed-Sun only!)
16. Either spend Gold on packs of cards (100/pack - Classic for a long time) or Arena (150/run)
17. Repeat steps 13-16
Arena can earn more cards and Gold once you get good at playing it. You always get a pack of cards in Arena regardless of your record. Rewards increase as you get more wins. Therefore, earning 50 Gold will have you break even since you get a 100 Gold pack of cards automatically. 50 Gold is about 3-4 wins depending on your rewards luck. Anything more than that is pure profit. Remember, Arena rewards the newest expansion packs.
Daily Quests and Gold earning:
Hearthstone is a fantastic and addicting game to play. The learning curve isn't overly steep, but remembering all the cards is tough to do. BE PREPARED TO LOSE A LOT AT FIRST
! If you're new to the game, there are people that have been playing for over a year and have most, if not every, card in the game. It sucks getting smashed by what seems like a legion of Legendary minions, but keep going. Eventually you'll have your own Epic and Legendary cards and can hang with anyone. Besides, Legendary cards don't always mean instant wins. In many cases, you can sub out other common/basic cards in their place.
One last note, never EVER feel bad about asking for help or netdecking popular decks. Everyone does it (I know I certainly do!) and there's no shame in it. Creating decks by yourself can be fun and inventive, but there are people out there that play professionally and spend months creating optimal decks. Not only will netdecking help you create optimal decks, but you'll start to understand why certain cards are good and find interactions you may not have previously thought of. Finally, netdecking will help you know what your opponent is playing too. When everyone is netdecking, you can much more easily predict what they have have left in their deck/hand. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!
So yeah, ask for help here often and netdeck popular decks.
You can earn gold by completing a daily quest or by winning 3 games against a human opponent in either Casual or Ranked modes. Ironically, Casual mode is more difficult than Ranked because you aren't as readily matched up to someone of your rank. Other notes about earning gold:
Card rarity, identification, and dust values:
1. When you win 3 games, you earn 10 gold. You can earn up to 100 gold/day this way.
2. If you get a quest you don't like, you can "reroll" it by hitting the blue arrow button in the upper right corner of the quest.
3. You can only reroll one quest per day.
4. You can reroll a previously rerolled quest.
5. Try to not have more than 3 active quests or you'll lose out on a new daily quest.
6. The "Win 7 games in any mode" quest is worth 100 gold. In addition, wins against the AI count.
7. The "Spectate" quest allows you to earn a free pack of Classic cards just by watching another person win. FREE CARDS WOOO!
8. You can complete multiple quests at the same time (ie. Win 2 games with Paladin/Rogue and Win 2 games with Paladin/Warrior both get credit if you win with Paladin)
1. Look at the center of the card for a gem.
Supplemental Card Creation Guide:
2. If the card has no gem, it is a "soulbound" card and cannot be crafted or dusted. Basically, it's a starting card.
3. If the gem is white, the card is common. These cards can be crafted for 40 dust or dusted for 5.
4. If the gem is blue, the card is rare. These cards can be crafted for 100 dust or dusted for 20.
5. If the gem is purple, the card is epic. These cards can be crafted for 400 dust or dusted for 100.
6. If the gem is orange, the card is legendary. These cards can be crafted for 1600 dust or dusted for 400.
7. Dusting a golden version of a card earns you the creation value. Example: A golden rare dusts for 100 instead of 20.
8. It's highly recommended you dust golden cards unless you don't have two copies of it already.
1. Do not dust cards until you have more than 2 copies of a card
2. Unless you're committed to a class, it's better to craft neutral minions first (Ysera, Bloodmage Thalnos, etc)
3. Dusting Gold cards earn lots more dust (unless you care about that bling look)
4. Try to only create Epic or Legendary (commons and rares will come via packs)
5. Ask us here before dusting something like a Legendary (see Legendary crafting link below)
Each season lasts one month. At the end of the season, you'll earn a reward based on your highest rank you earned during the season. The rewards come in the form of golden cards and extra dust. For newer players, the golden cards can be dusted for a lot of dust (see dust list above) allowing you to create better cards. For pros, it's an opportunity to bling out the cards they want or stockpile dust for the next expansion. Because of this reward system, you should always try and get as high as possible each season. And don't worry about losing ranks, you still get the reward based on your best result and not your ending rank. The rewards by rank are:
Rank 20 - 1 golden common card, 5 dust
Rank 19 - 1 golden common card, 10 dust
Rank 18 - 1 golden common card, 15 dust
Rank 17 - 1 golden common card, 20 dust
Rank 16 - 1 golden common card, 25 dust
Rank 15 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 5 dust
Rank 14 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 10 dust
Rank 13 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 15 dust
Rank 12 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 20 dust
Rank 11 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 25 dust
Rank 10 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden rare card, 5 dust
Rank 9 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden rare card, 10 dust
Rank 8 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden rare card, 15 dust
Rank 7 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden rare card, 20 dust
Rank 6 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden rare card, 25 dust
Rank 5 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden epic card, 5 dust
Rank 4 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden epic card, 10 dust
Rank 3 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden epic card, 15 dust
Rank 2 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden epic card, 20 dust
Rank 1 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden epic card, 25 dust
Legendary - 3 golden common cards, 1 golden epic card
Adventure Modes and New Cards:
You can get monthly recaps of your last ranked season directly from Blizzard. Follow these steps:
BNet Account Management... Settings > Communications Preferences > Check off News and Special Offers from Blizzard
To get something like this:
General Game Information:
Hearthstone has been out for over a two years now and has seen a lot of new content. These come in the form of Adventure Modes (single player stuff) and Expansion packs (new cards!). All of this new content can be found below. PLEASE NOTE!
There is no reason to bang your head against the wall to complete Heroic boss fights. Completing them is very hard and the only reward is a special card back. Come back to them later after getting more cards in your inventory.
Journey to Un'Goro Crater
Knights of the Frozen Throne
Kobolds and Catacombs
Grobian's list of less intuitive facts:
The game has FOUR play modes:
- Play - Build a 30-card deck and fight people in ranked or unranked matches in Standard or Wild formats.
- Solo Adventures - Practice against the AI or enter the Single Player themed adventures like The Curse of Naxxramas and Blackrock Mountain.
- Arena - Pay 150g, then pick a hero from a random selection of 3 heroes and draft a deck from a random pool of cards presented to you three at a time. Then battle other people who went through the same process to receive treasures!
- Tavern Brawl - Free to enter after level 20. Rules change each week. Rewards a free Classic pack after first victory.
Hearthstone strategy and resource links
Links to competitive deckslists and analysis
Here's a visual deck sharing program made by our own Muffintron
- Max handsize is 10 cards. Any card over that is drawn then immediately destroyed.
- You can't have more than 7 minions on the board.
- If you draw from an empty deck, each "card" you draw instead damages you, beginning at 1 damage and increasing by 1 damage each draw.
- If multiple things happen at the same time (e.g. trigger at the end of the turn) they happen in the order their respective cards have been played.
- There are hidden quests/achievements that award gold, notably: 100g for beating all Expert AIs, 100g for playing every class to level 10 and 300g for 100 wins total.
- The Shaman hero power always calls one of the 4 totems that isn't out yet. If you get a totem bounced to your hand, you can play a second one, though.
- The hunter spell Animal Companion just calls a random of the 3 possible minions.
- The Warlock spell Sense Demons gives you 1/1 imps for 1 mana if you don't have (any more) demons in your deck.
- Stealth overrides Taunt, not the other way around.
- Stealth is only for the enemy, you can buff your stealthed minions.
- Priest: Shadowform refreshes your hero power, so you can use it twice in a turn.
- Druid: Wild Growth at 10 mana crystals awards you a spell "Excess Mana" which draws a card for 0.
- More comprehensive list of oddities here
Decent streamers/youtube clips to watch, to learn!
Here's a list of PA people who don't mind if you spectate while they play.
How to use:
So for example, using this deckstring: AAECAf0ECnHAAcMB7gLmBJKsAumsAoK0AqO2Aum6Agq7ApUDqwSWBewFgbIC17YCh70CwcECmMQCAA==
I'd appreciate it if you guys didn't use it outside PA Forums. My hosting can't stand up to any ridiculous amount of traffic, but it's a nice little tool just for us.
*PM me to get added to the list*
**This is not a friends list. That is located at the top of this post!**
The Escape Goat/EscapeGoat#1913