Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

New Marvel Comics Thread Featuring Caving to Neo-Nazis and Wrongful Termination!

19596979899101»

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Man, where can we take our kinda bad racism allegory next?

Okay what if they actually aren't human?

Perfect.

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    ZonugalSirEtchwartsdarunia106MidniteFencingsaxRingoSolarSorceDarkPrimusShadowen
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    One of the things I'm most disappointed about with Secret Wars is that they didn't just quietly drop the whole "Mutants are a different species" thing, because I don't think it works thematically.

I think you could take it a step further and say it torpedoes the entire concept of mutants

Well, yes. I was just trying to be diplomatic.

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Man, where can we take our kinda bad racism allegory next?

Okay what if they actually aren't human?

Perfect.

Didn't x- men get legally ruled not human in a toy lawsuit a few years ago in the real world. (It was a critical point in how the toys were legally classified)

GvzbgulShadowen
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    Man I am aware that the mutant-racism allegory is not exactly great and has aged poorly

But just abandoning it isn't really a good thing either?

I know a whole bunch of queer folks who have always loved the X-Men, even if they aren't super into comics, specifically because they weren't just regular superheroes who just had to deal with supervillians. They were treated different and persucuted and had to deal with bigotry and hate and overcame it.

There is a reason writers like Vita Ayala and Leah Williams are so excited to get a crack at the X-Men and are so in love with the characters

An imperfect allegory that folks still relate to and identify with is better than just getting rid of it wholesale

Blankzilla on
    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
    JoolanderKayne Red RobeCentipede DamascusDizzy Dnever dieShadowenshoeboxjeddy
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    favorite x-men:

nightcrawler
    dazzler
    maggott
    jubilee
    longshot

6jomko.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    favorite x-men:

nightcrawler
    dazzler
    maggott
    jubilee
    longshot

With you aside from Maggott

I'd maybe slot Rogue in there

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    Kayne Red Robe
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    how dare you besmirch beautiful baby boy, maggott

6jomko.png
    darunia106Kevin Crist
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist But it's like we weren't made for this world Though I wouldn't really want to meet someone who was.Registered User regular
    Cypher (Doug Ramsey)
    Monet
    Gold Balls
    Eyeboy
    Danger

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: SkinnerSweet
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks San DiegoRegistered User regular
    There is a distinct lack of love here for Iceman and that saddens me. Also Storm.

They and Nightcrawler are pretty high up there on my list. Kitty Pride is too, possibly Colossus or Cyclops rounding out the top 5 for me.

Ringo
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    favorite x-men:

nightcrawler
    dazzler
    maggott
    jubilee
    longshot

Good list.

MYtio8V.jpg
  • Kayne Red RobeKayne Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    There is a distinct lack of love here for Iceman and that saddens me. Also Storm.

They and Nightcrawler are pretty high up there on my list. Kitty Pride is too, possibly Colossus or Cyclops rounding out the top 5 for me.

Yeah if I expanded to a top 10 Iceman and Kitty would be in there.

This discussion has been closed.