As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Burgerrrrrr I mean [Bad Food] Thread

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    That's a taquito.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Mike Schur, creator of The Good Place, Parks and Rec, etc. has been ranting on twitter about hot fruit being gross in all forms.

Not just pineapple on pizza, but fruit pies, cobblers or apple crisp, blueberry pancakes or muffins, etc.

So incredibly wrong.

I don't understand how someone could be this wrong. Chiles are great.

Huh. I'd never quite put two and two together that chilies are fruit.

To be fair, that may be because chefs are atrocious at botany.

Name a vegetable. At least 50% chances it's a fruit. (Or, in case you name corn, a grain).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Kept it healthy yesterday. Had to travel to Tokyo to do some shopping. Had lunch with a couple friends at a Korean fried chicken place. The double fried chicken was delicious. I felt the yangnyeom chicken and the honey garlic were both great. After that we wandered around the small Koreatown. Around 5 we went our separate ways.

After I finished my shopping, I decided to try the Fatburger near Shibuya station. Ordered the triple burger, with cheese and bacon, skinny fries and a chocolate shake. The bacon was almost raw. Not a fan. They had a US Challenge burger with six patties. After eating their triple burger, I realized their challenge burger was doable for me in the future if I could figure out how to take bites of it.

Geddoe on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    That's a taquito.

No, it's a lumpia. Which is superior.

gimme all dem lumpia

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    You can have any lumpia leftover after I eat them. Which will be none, because I will eat all of them.

Lumpia is Filipino eggroll, essentially.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think my starter needs a warmer spot.

It rises good after feeding but it takes like 10 hours.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    That's a taquito.

gimme all dem lumpia

Whoa, whoa, whoa

let's not say anything we can't take back.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    That's a taquito.

gimme all dem lumpia

Whoa, whoa, whoa

Why would they want to take back a true statement? Taquitos are great, but lumpia > > taquitos. It's simple math.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    Mike Schur, creator of The Good Place, Parks and Rec, etc. has been ranting on twitter about hot fruit being gross in all forms.

Not just pineapple on pizza, but fruit pies, cobblers or apple crisp, blueberry pancakes or muffins, etc.

So incredibly wrong.

Name a vegetable. At least 50% chances it's a fruit. (Or, in case you name corn, a grain).

This is a growing pet peeve of mine.

There's no botanical definition of vegetable. Something being a fruit doesn't disqualify it from being a vegetable.

The only sane path is to accept that culinary definitions are different from botanical definitions. That way we may dream of a future where people won't adjust their glasses and go "Well, actually, that's not technically a nut" for every nut under the sun.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Lumpia is delicious and I will eat all of it.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    You can have any lumpia leftover after I eat them. Which will be none, because I will eat all of them.

Lumpia is Filipino eggroll, essentially.
    Madican wrote: »
    Lumpia is delicious and I will eat all of it.

Ahem. You will get none, and like it!
    Seriously, there's a new-ish Filipino restaurant nearby. I may go and get non-homemade Filipino food for the first time ever.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Sufganiyah (Hebrew: סופגנייה or סופגניה‎ [ˌsuf.ɡan.iˈah]; plural: sufganiyot, Hebrew: סופגניות‬ [ˌsuf.ɡan.iˈot]; Arabic: سوفغنية‎) is a round jelly doughnut eaten in Israel and around the world on the Jewish festival of Hanukkah. The doughnut is deep-fried, filled with jam or custard, and then either topped with a classic cover of powdered sugar or other, more extravagant toppings such as dulce de leche, chocolate cream, vanilla cream, cappuccino, halva, creme espresso, chocolate truffle, and more. The Hebrew word sufganiyah is a neologism for pastry, based on the Talmudic words sofgan and sfogga, which refer to a "spongy dough". The word has also been compared to the Modern Hebrew word for sponge (sfog, Hebrew: ספוג‬;)

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

So incredibly wrong.

There's no botanical definition of vegetable. Something being a fruit doesn't disqualify it from being a vegetable.

The only sane path is to accept that culinary definitions are different from botanical definitions. That way we may dream of a future where people won't adjust their glasses and go "Well, actually, that's not technically a nut" for every nut under the sun.

Fruits/vegetables is the annoying one, because "vegetables" is this total nonsense category. The nuts mismatch is because botanists mean a specific kind of seed in a hard shell instead of any kind. But fruit has a very clear definition, and there's nothing that's kind of like a fruit but not.

I would, if I could, define fruit (in the culinary sense) to be a proper subset of vegetable, and define vegetable to just mean "edible vegetation", which would at least make sense (and honestly, I would expect that's how we got the word in the first place). Of course then it also covers nuts and grains... but that's fine. You already treat vegetables differently depending on the type (roots or fruits or shoots or...).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular

So incredibly wrong.

Fruits/vegetables is the annoying one, because "vegetables" is this total nonsense category. The nuts mismatch is because botanists mean a specific kind of seed in a hard shell instead of any kind. But fruit has a very clear definition, and there's nothing that's kind of like a fruit but not.

I would, if I could, define fruit (in the culinary sense) to be a proper subset of vegetable, and define vegetable to just mean "edible vegetation", which would at least make sense (and honestly, I would expect that's how we got the word in the first place). Of course then it also covers nuts and grains... but that's fine. You already treat vegetables differently depending on the type (roots or fruits or shoots or...).

Avocados are berries.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »

So incredibly wrong.

Avocados are berries.

Can you make liquor from them?

• FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    My limited research suggests that someone sufficiently determined and/or desperate can make liquor out of pretty much anything organic.

• kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    My limited research suggests that someone sufficiently determined and/or desperate can make liquor out of pretty much anything organic.

It needs to have some sugar, though, and avocados, berries they be, don't. So we can just add sugar, and we might we well be fermenting prison sugarwater at this point.

Avocados aren't fermentable themselves.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I heard some food scientist or another suggest anything we dietarily consider a fruit should have fructose in it, which I believe makes potatoes and corn both fruits?

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    That's a taquito.

gimme all dem lumpia

Whoa, whoa, whoa

Why would they want to take back a true statement? Taquitos are great, but lumpia > > taquitos. It's simple math.

You’re simple math.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I heard some food scientist or another suggest anything we dietarily consider a fruit should have fructose in it, which I believe makes potatoes and corn both fruits?

I mean I guess if you want to use some weird dietary definition, but why would you. Botanically a fruit is a plant's ovary developed around a fertilised gamete. Plenty of fruiting plants produce fruits we wouldn't eat.

Like, potato plants do produce fruits. They're poisonous.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular

I mean I guess if you want to use some weird dietary definition, but why would you. Botanically a fruit is a plant's ovary developed around a fertilised gamete. Plenty of fruiting plants produce fruits we wouldn't eat.

But could we make booze out of them?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

But could we make booze out of them?

Surely youve heard of Potato vodka?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I call it Potadka

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

So incredibly wrong.

It's worse than you think! You're correct that "vegetable" used to mean all edible plants, but for a long time before that it just meant all plants (and in some senses still does.) But for a long time before that, it just meant "something that is or was alive." The vegetable nature is what separates all living things from the inert, non-living parts of the world. So if you casually told Isaac Newton that a cow was a vegetable, he would think it was kind of a weird way to phrase it, but he wouldn't argue with you.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I ate a greasy little skillet pizza at a bar, it was delicious, but it's playing havoc on my guts today

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

So incredibly wrong.

He's fine with fruit pies or whatever once they've cooled down. I suppose I can understand preferring such things when cold rather than hot.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I bet he prefers cold pizza, too.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So for a while I've been seeing these things at costco and being curious
    large_0569dea7-6e93-4461-a883-3edc06bb633e.jpg

They're like 7 bucks for 4 pizza bases with sauce, and as long as there's cheese in the fridge I can make a pizza out of whatever so I finally picked up a pack. Lately I'd been using the bread machine to mix up some simple dough with just flour, yeast, water, olive oil and salt, and that's super easy, but takes a couple hours for the dough to mix and prove and all that. We've got a baby, there's no time for that shit anymore.

So since then I've used them twice. Once was a failure, and once was a success. If you ever feel like buying these things, learn from my mistakes!

Bacon, onion and potato white pizza. FAILURE:
    So my first experiment with the costco pizza bases and whatever we have at home was a little ambitious.
    • I covered the base with olive oil, dried rosemary and flakes of parmesan.
    • Cut up a few strips of bacon into chunks and cooked them in a pan until they gave up some fat, then I dumped in some sliced onion and garlic and sizzled it all until the bacon was reasonably crispy.
    • Then I had a single waxy potato, so I sliced it super thin on the mandolin and dumped the slices into a pot of boiling water for a minute or two until they were ALMOST tender.
    • Bacon, onion, garlic, potatos, rosemary, mozzerella and parmesan goes onto the crust and into the oven. I was excited because it's just my kind of pizza.

But I failed to realize just how dry the pizza crust was. By the time the toppings were melted/cooked, the crust was hard and dry as melba toast. I was so disappointed. The baby loved it because it was crunchy and that's funny.

Italian Sausage and green pepper pizza. SUCCESS:
    • I'd since frozen the remaining bases so I turned the oven on to preheat and chucked one of the frozen bases in there to thaw at the same time.
    • I grabbed a couple of italian sausages (mild because I'm a baby with a baby mouth) also from costco. Cut the cases off and dumped them in a pan, crumbling them up and cooking until they were totally cooked. I even kept going after "fully cooked" to get some good crunchy brown crispyness on some of the chunks.
    • At this point the oven beeped and I took the base out - it was warm and the bottom had a little colour on it, but it was still floppy. PERFECT.
    • Took the sausage out of the pan reserving the fat they'd given off, then dumped in a diced green pepper and half a diced onion with a sprinkle of salt. Sauted these until they were softened and added a couple cloves of diced garlic to soften before taking it all off the heat.
    • I used the sauce that came with the bases, covering the whole base right up to the edges (that's how I like it). It seemed like a lot, but it worked out in the end. On top of the sauce I added a light layer of cheese for everything to grab onto, then all of the sausage, all of the veggies and a generous cheese topping. At this point the toppings were like 50% thicker than the crust.
    • The oven had been on 350 the whole time, but I wanted to mainly cook the toppings and leave the crust less cooked, so I turned the oven off, then put the broiler on low and slide the pizza in on the middle rack for 10 minutes or so, watching carefully so it didn't burn.

This did the trick. The base was chewy still and the toppings were all cooked and melted and hot. There was a lot of sauce, but also a lot of toppings so it worked out. This pizza was more delicious than it had any right to be. The baby loved it because it was chewy and melty and that's funny

So moral of the story:
    The bases are alright if you treat them right. Precook all your toppings and broil them instead of roasting at high heat like regular pizza dough.
    I really really wish you could buy premade uncooked pizza dough in the grocery store here in Canada, but you can't. I'm assuming it's because of food safety and uncooked dough and what have you? Maybe?

#pipe on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    huh, that's weird, it's all over the place in Australia and the US.

I guess you could whip up a few big batches in the breadmaker and freeze it in portions? Pizza dough freezes pretty well if you seal it properly

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I have found one single italian bakery here that sells a pouch of frozen dough. I've bought it a few times because it's like $1.50 for a large size pizza, but just having thawed dough in any old grocery store would be so dang convenient.

Edit: also now that I think about it I don't think it's because of food safety afterall since a) The US is a hell of a lot more paranoid about that kind of thing and it's no problem there and b) there's nothing in the dough that could make us sick if uncooked. So I dunno, man. It must just not be a thing here.

#pipe on
    edited December 2018
    I uh

I got new coffee beans for Xmas...
    uidjt06cva1k.jpg

Tallahasseeriel on
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Just ordered 5 different flavors from this gourmet popcorn place.
    1. Boiled crawfish.
    2. Dill pickle.
    3. Zesty buffalo wings.
    4. Cheddar jalapeño ranch.
    5. Cookies & Cream.

Saving these for when my family gets together for Christmas, but it's going to be difficult to resist chomping on some of them as soon as they get here.

The local roaster hand delivered them. On a Sunday.

... That's dedication to your new customers...

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    #pipe wrote: »
    So moral of the story:
    The bases are alright if you treat them right. Precook all your toppings and broil them instead of roasting at high heat like regular pizza dough.
    I really really wish you could buy premade uncooked pizza dough in the grocery store here in Canada, but you can't. I'm assuming it's because of food safety and uncooked dough and what have you? Maybe?

There was a decent pizza dough served in packages of two balls, each of which could easily make a large/two medium pizzas at provigo (owned by Loblaws) and the same brand at IGA as well.
    Could take a picture of it the next time I go to a grocery store for reference if you want

E: looks like this
    0005632671020.jpg

Normally I see them in packages of two balls, but I guess they come in one as well. Also the package says keeps frozen, but I've only ever seen it in the open refrigerator sections.

Psykoma on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It's Hanukkah!!

That means fried food!

Last night we had fish and chips!

Tonight, air-fried chicken nuggets. Yes I know it's cheating, no I don't care.

Might try making some doughnut dough in my bread machine this weekend so we can do proper sufganiyot.

Yay for unhealthy eating!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

So incredibly wrong.

Considering that "cooked" is the only way I can eat most apples, I too agree with your last statement.

MEANWHILE

Hey Food thread, I've got 1.5 kilos of ground pork, what should I do with it?

Chilli

BahamutZERO.gif
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I uh

I got new coffee beans for Xmas...
    uidjt06cva1k.jpg

You can't fool me, that's clearly some sort of stout!

Why would I put stout in a shot glass jgeis??

That's a lot of crema though yeah

This discussion has been closed.