As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Thread! Streaming Service is live! Aquaman out in December! Comics, I guess!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't see the need for or the purpose of an R-rated Birds of Prey film.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tom King did something in HiC I genuinely didn't think would happen again
    Harley Quinn is back to the classic TAS suit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I don't think a Birds of Prey movie needs an R rating at all.

• Options
    The Witching Hour concluded this week, and Drowned Earth started proper.

Both seem to be really fun little 5 issue mini-events, which is a type of story I am very into as you get the big scale of an event but without the bloat and deluge of tie-ins.

Witching Hour was pretty solid, with some fantastic moments sprinkled through while also giving a definitive origin and loose "rules" to magic in the DCU. It covered a lot of ground with Wonder Woman but had some really nice little character beats spread throughout.
    Magic began with Hecate, the maiden, born of the void of creation shortly after the multiverse was born. She was the primordial force of raw magic, and when she was birthed into being so was her dark multiverse counterpart, the Upside Down Man. She locked him away in the dark multiverse and set her sights on Earth. Her magic spread across the world (both through intentional gifts and just the affects of her presence) and she was courted by the various pantheons of gods (who all deluded themselves into believing she was part of their mythos) to join their ranks and eventually joined the Olympians as Hades' bride.

She then became Hecate, the Woman, and lived happily for a time as the goddess of magic. She helped her followers and taught humanity how to wield her gifts. Eventually the original Lords of Order (with Nabu) imprisoned her and siphoned off her power for their own uses. She lay trapped for many years, with Hades eventually coming to her, but only to inform her he had remarried and was with Peresephone now, leaving her to her fate.

She then became Hecate, the Crone, and burst free from her prison in a fit of unnatural rage and vengeance which caused her to split her power to break out. She would pass a fraction of her power to 5 women throughout history, passing from one host to another as they died, laying dormant until the time came for Hecate to return and claim her power once more to reshape the world of magic under her own rule.

The story ends with the Crone being betrayed by The Maiden and The Woman, allowing Wonder Woman (one of the 5 hosts) to break free of Hecate's control and for Zatanna to break the door into the Upside Down Man's prison, letting him and his Otherkind into the universe but also killing Hecate in the process.

The immediate aftermath is that Nanda Parbat has fallen, turned into a Necropolis holding dominion over all dead souls, the Parliament of Trees is dead (with Swamp Thing being the only survivor), replaced by the Parliament of Flowers who are even less attached to the other realms of life and more aggressive. The JLD has an expanded roster of Wonder Woman, Zatanna, Detective Chimp, Man-Bat, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Black Orchid, Nightshade, Manitou Dawn, Black Alice and Traci 13. It sounds like the core team is gonna remain the focus but the rest will come and go as necessary.

Aaaaand the big one is that Circe is revealed to have been the 5th host of Hecate's power, having successfully manipulated the heroes into aiding her, and is now in possession of ALL of Hecate's might, declaring herself the new Goddess of Magic.

Drowned Earth started out with a bang, with most of the world taken out of the equation from the jump. The villains seem kinda whatever right now but I like the theme of weird space alien pirate armada invading Earth. It is super Aquaman focused so far, which I dig, and seems to be hinting at him A) having much greater powers than he realizes and B) maybe being the reincarnation of Arion, the ancient Atlantean hero? I'm excited to see where it goes.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    The witching hour has had absolute great constantine moments

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    EWAN MCGREGOR IS BLACK MASK

• Options
    He is going to eat that role alive and I cannot wait

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    In what?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    In what?
    Birds of Prey

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    In what?
    Birds of Prey

ooohhh

yeah that sounds excellent

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Choose Gotham."

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What's he write

• Options
    He's primarily an artist but most recently, and prominently, did Batman: White Knight

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I've pretty much shut him off since his "DRAW LIKE YOU GET LAID" essay.

But I'm not sure I follow what those tweets mean.

edit- Wait. Ok. I get it.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »

Beg pardon?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Gustav wrote: »

Beg pardon?

It's on his deviantart from years back. And I apparently I misremembered as it came from a conversation and apparently Dave Johnson initially said it. But it still includes this gem.

"So simple yet so true. Maybe the reason women are so poorly represented in some (not all) mainstream comics is because most artists haven't been laid a whole lot. Come to think of it, most of the artists I like are also the ones who draw women WELL—meaning they've probably been with enough women that they understand them, aren't afraid of them, and know how to draw different body types because they've seen a few naked ones in person. And when I've met my favorite artists in person—sure enough—they usually look like the kinds of artists who get laid.

So if you're an artist and you're reading this—and you see me at a show and I'm giving you a strange judging look (like I'm struggling with some complex algebra)—I'm probably deciding, between you and your art, whether or not you get laid enough."

Which is like seeing a pretty obvious problem in comics and responding in frankly the stupidest posturing kind of way.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    yowza

That is some frat boy logic if I've ever seen it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah he's always angled himself in eye-rollingly tired machismo

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm not quite sure I get that tweet

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Reading between the lines, I think he's saying that he's dressed as a man, aka the main source of income, which is a man, because men.

• Options
    Even if he isn't saying I AM DRESSED AS A MAN it is still an incredibly shitty, vaguely sexist and dismissive thing to say about your partner

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I am offended on her behalf.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Even if he isn't saying I AM DRESSED AS A MAN it is still an incredibly shitty, vaguely sexist and dismissive thing to say about your partner

Okay, yeah, that was how I read that

Fuck that guy

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    EWAN MCGREGOR IS BLACK MASK

Okay now I'm pretty interested in Birds of Prey

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I think this is the first time I've been interested in Black Mask.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options

did he delete the tweet? I'm not seeing what you're talking about

• Options
    Yeah he deleted a tweet saying his costume was "The primary source of income"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah he deleted a tweet saying his costume was "The primary source of income"

He should be featured in the New Yorker

• Options
    Admittedly this is reading into a silly tweet a lot

BUT

King has been teasing storylines via his kid's action figures for a long time now and

Boy would I be into Dick getting his memory and identity back via remembering his love for Babs and having the promised wedding in King's Batman run actually be Dick and Barbara

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    having Dick and Babs get married would be a funny parallel to Rogue and Gambit getting married instead of Kitty and Colossus too

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    having Dick and Babs get married would be a funny parallel to Rogue and Gambit getting married instead of Kitty and Colossus too

At least the bait and switch wouldn't be in the same issue.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I heard Ivy is dead.

Is this true? Because if so I'm fuckin done

• Options
  • Options
    Booster mentions her as one of the people who died at Sanctuary, but we have not seen a body or anything else to confirm that.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Booster mentions her as one of the people who died at Sanctuary, but we have not seen a body or anything else to confirm that.

Also
    There's no way some (if not most or all) of the characters don't come back.

• Options
    Yeah there is way too much of a mystery going on in that book to be up in arms about anything yet

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also it's comics, I just automatically assume nobody ever dies for longer than like, 3 years (unless you're minor enough they can get away with 5)

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

At least the bat and switch wouldn't be in the same issue.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Booooooo

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
This discussion has been closed.