As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Thread! Streaming Service is live! Aquaman out in December! Comics, I guess!

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Deleted

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    And I may have made a mistake.

I bought Justice League on bluray. I haven't unwrapped it yet.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Please dont talk about the thing that was specifically spoiler boxed outside of spoilers?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So question: How well does Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman hold up? I loved the show as a kid, but haven't seen it since. My wife is a huge superman fan and has never seen it. I was debating subscribing to DCUniverse just to show it to her, but don't want it to be a dud.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    lois and clark still rules

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    BC reports that the deaths in Heroes in Crisis #1 are
    Blue Jay, Hot Spot, Arsenal, Lagoon Boy, Citizen Steel

And Wally West

That last one has to be some kind of fakeout

There is absolutely no way they kill off Wally just 2 years after bringing him back as the heart and soul of the DCU, especially after the events of Flash War.

I can’t believe I have to ask this....

WHICH Wally West? Is nu52 flavor still out and about?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    So question: How well does Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman hold up? I loved the show as a kid, but haven't seen it since. My wife is a huge superman fan and has never seen it. I was debating subscribing to DCUniverse just to show it to her, but don't want it to be a dud.

I only recently watched the first 4 episodes and its still great.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    BC reports that the deaths in Heroes in Crisis #1 are
    Blue Jay, Hot Spot, Arsenal, Lagoon Boy, Citizen Steel

And Wally West

That last one has to be some kind of fakeout

There is absolutely no way they kill off Wally just 2 years after bringing him back as the heart and soul of the DCU, especially after the events of Flash War.

I can’t believe I have to ask this....

WHICH Wally West? Is nu52 flavor still out and about?
    He is but hes going by Wallace mostly

It's Original Flavor Wally

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    never die wrote: »

I only recently watched the first 4 episodes and its still great.

Lane Smith still rules!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I'm so happy about the Joaquin Phoenix Joker set pics and how incredible everything looks so far

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    If I didn’t know any better, I’d almost think this was an origin for the Ledger Joker.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    I prefer a Joker without an origin story, so I'm not terribly on board with whatever this is.

Batman's relationship with his rogue gallery is at its best when the two sides are reflections of each other. Joker is the chaos to Batman's order, giving Joker an origin story applies order to Joker; I don't like it :/

• Options
    This Joker looks more like a random psychotic clown from an episode of Supernatural than the Joker.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    They'd have to do a lot more than they're currently doing to get me to care about a Joker movie. Presumably they don't care about winning people like me over, which is fine.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    https://abload.de/img/madhousegeek_41457113txdvj.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/qDV2tk3.jpg

These in particular look really really great to me. Like I was always sure his acting would be great but the original video first look days ago had me unsure about the look, but everything since has me sold

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    god damn

When David Ayer, maker of "orc racism the movie" is like "maybe that was a little too on the nose"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    The screenwriters of the Harley and Joker movie that probably won't happen have made me want it to happen even less by revealing the opening of the movie has Harley kidnap Dr. Phil to ask him relationship advice about her and Joker

Fuckin no thank you

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    that actually sounds to me like something that could have happened in the animated series back in the day

not that I trust these screenwriters to pull it off

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    the damaged tatto was great and you are all monsters for making ayer feel bad about it

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited September 2018
    that actually sounds to me like something that could have happened in the animated series back in the day

not that I trust these screenwriters to pull it off
    I do not think Harley, who is an actually brilliant psychiatrist, would kidnap Actual Hack Dr. Phil, to ask for advice

Only reason that might have happened in TAS is because they played up the ditzy aspect of Harley and had the shitty element of her sleeping her way through school which has since been ditched and rightfully so

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yknow, thinking about Harley recently

I feel like its actually not that uncommon that good comics characters eventually become parodies of themselves that focus on only the most extreme aspects

Deadpool was more than just 4th wall jokes, The Joker was more than just "Kills people in hyper violent ways", but those are the aspects that stick out most so eventually the whole character centered around it

The fact that for harley that aspect seems to be "IS FUCKIN HOT" is so fucking frustrating and sad, moreso than any of those other examples

It just sucks so much

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

I feel like its actually not that uncommon that good comics characters eventually become parodies of themselves that focus on only the most extreme aspects

Deadpool was more than just 4th wall jokes, The Joker was more than just "Kills people in hyper violent ways", but those are the aspects that stick out most so eventually the whole character centered around it

The fact that for harley that aspect seems to be "IS FUCKIN HOT" is so fucking frustrating and sad, moreso than any of those other examples

It just sucks so much

Especially since her interesting and iconic look had to be changed so much to achieve that end.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Is Harley a psychiatrist or a psychologist? Either way, it is quite possible for someone to be an expert in their field and not have a good handle on other aspects of said field. There's nothing that says a doctor who works with insane supervillains like the Joker was in any way good at relationship counseling.

In fact, seeing as how she fell for said supervillain, I feel Harley in fact has a deficiency in being able to identify healthy romantic relationships. Dr Phil can only be a step up!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Is Harley a psychiatrist or a psychologist? Either way, it is quite possible for someone to be an expert in their field and not have a good handle on other aspects of said field. There's nothing that says a doctor who works with insane supervillains like the Joker was in any way good at relationship counseling.

In fact, seeing as how she fell for said supervillain, I feel Harley in fact has a deficiency in being able to identify healthy romantic relationships. Dr Phil can only be a step up!

Dr. Phil isn't a step up from anything

• Options
    Dude forced his wife to not work and stay home to work out all the time to stay hot

He has no fuckin business giving relationship advice

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

They've had Harley try therapy in the comics but like... from a real Doctor, not a TV salesman.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Dude forced his wife to not work and stay home to work out all the time to stay hot

I mean

Harley kills people

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Tube wrote: »

I mean

Harley kills people

I don't see what that has to do with relationship advice

Also Harley is not a real person!

(also to be clear this post is mostly in jest)

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Yeah to be clear here the issue isnt that she is grabbing someone for advice

It is that she is specifically getting Dr. Phil who is a garbage person and also not a fictional character

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I dont like it only because it would put real dr phil in any sort of splotlight

Harley would totally kidnap a tv relationahip huckster for advice though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »

I mean

Harley kills people

And that is objectively worse yes, but she doesn't have a syndicated public venue for said killings, so I can kind of get behind Dr Phil being the real villain here

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think I meant more along the lines of I could see TAS Harley kidnapping some fictional version of Dr. Phil to get feedback on her relationship frustrations, with her hitting him with a mallet or something whenever he says stuff she doesn't already agree with

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

It just sucks so much

She's a female comic character, so woth the current zeitgeist, this is almost inevitable, to some extent.

• Options
    I think I meant more along the lines of I could see TAS Harley kidnapping some fictional version of Dr. Phil to get feedback on her relationship frustrations, with her hitting him with a mallet or something whenever he says stuff she doesn't already agree with

Now I'm just picturing Annie Wilkes fuming in the corner, "Oh so it's okay when the bubbly blonde does it!"

Quick, somebody put a role for Kathy Bates as the older mentor into this Harley/Joker movie

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Perhaps it’s been done, but I always wanted Harly’s obsession to take on truly super villain proportions, with her making a counter plot to whatever Joker is currently doing, that winds up with all his crew dead and him kidnapped by masked thugs, then taken to a pretty cottage, where Harly looks after him in some mangled state until Batman finds and rescues him...

...only to end with Joker falling in love with how crazy she’s got.

Edit:

But I’m firmly in the romance with Poison Ivy, mostly gotten over Joker camp.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That's bad, and you should feel bad

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The bit in Injustice 2 where Harley tells her fear toxin hallucination of the Joker that she's fuckin done with him, followed by beating his ass into the dirt, was so satisfying, and probably one of my favorite moments of the whole game

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    That's bad, and you should feel bad
    There is nothing wrong with liking Ivy and Harley this is a messed up thing to say

2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.