As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Thread! Streaming Service is live! Aquaman out in December! Comics, I guess!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah I think it depends on how exactly the story unfolds

The idea itself is very interesting but there's plenty of room to fuck up

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    hey wait a minute

how did that jim gordon as robot batman story wrap up

i just remembered that happened

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    hey wait a minute

how did that jim gordon as robot batman story wrap up

i just remembered that happened
    He quit after Bruce Wayne came back

It only lasted for like a year, which is lame because it was fun

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wow that sucks and i hate it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The problem with those stories is a) the problems they point out with Batman are problems with the genre as a whole not Batman in particular and b)you need a response to "and the stuff he does for the Justice League?"

I am looking forward to how they address those, because being critical of the genre can be fascinating work.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think the struggle with those stories is that they oscillate between completely true to outright lies depending on who is writing batman

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i would make the arkham knight batman jones, who has grown horrified at his namesake

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    i would make the arkham knight batman jones, who has grown horrified at his namesake

I unironically would love that

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    i think the struggle with those stories is that they oscillate between completely true to outright lies depending on who is writing batman

I think there's a good opportunity to set it up as Batman looking brutal if you don't know about Bruce Wayne

But even then I think there needs to be a bit of a gray area

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, like, if vigilante fisticuffs actually fucks people up, the whole situation is trashed

That's not compatible with silver age superheroics

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure that sort of post-modern? interpretation works within the setting

Not sure if I'm using the right terminology

Oh this can, and probably will sometime in the future go POORLY, as the idea is incompatible with comic books perpetual nature

But right now in the moment, hell yeah bring it.

Ideally this is going to end with Batman going "yeah okay some of that was pretty fucked up of me" and trying to be better going forward

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    It's kinda the natural direction of making superhero universes more and more aligned to reality.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, like, if vigilante fisticuffs actually fucks people up, the whole situation is trashed

That's not compatible with silver age superheroics
    The story does not say, in the preview at least, that Batman is like concussing or causing brain damage to folks in his actions

Just that maybe severly beating up a mugger or purse snatcher is a disproportionate response

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    When was the last time Batman beat up a mugger on panel

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Right after he said "Elementary my dear Watson".

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Probably a few years back during the New 52 but regardless the issue is meant as a celebration/examination of ALL of Batman's 80 year history and the story specifically is going through all of it so I think its fair game

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Looks like Scott Snyder and Fransisco Francavilla will be announcing a new horror book at C2E2 this weekend

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Nardians of The Galaxy

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    General heads-up that the preview screenings for Shazam happened today and discussion from fans who got to see it has commenced, so be careful where you browse for the next two weeks until it opens nationwide

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So I got notification that they were doing early viewings (so still bought a ticket)

But I just saw it today and it is really good!

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Stayed at a friends house last few days and got to use his Dc streaming to catch Young Justice season 3

Do we have a specific thread for it?

Also Forager is the best!

Edit: I'm boned I think and they have me for at least a month when the next 13 eps hit

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    so the first volume of the bryan hitch justice league is on amazon prime and i'm reading it

how the hell did this dude get his mass effect fan fiction greenlit? Like jesus christ he even calls them reapers

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    At a recent Q&A session with the director after a screening of his 2009 film Watchmen, (Zack) Snyder was asked about the dark tone that his DC movies had, and how fans had an issue with that fact both Batman and Superman kill people in them. As the footage posted to reddit revealed, the director didn't have much sympathy for their point of view.

"Someone says to me: Batman killed a guy. I'm like, 'F***, really? Wake the f*ck up'," he said. "Once you've lost your virginity to this f***ing movie and then you come and say to me something about like 'my superhero wouldn't do that.' I'm like 'Are you serious?' I'm like down the fucking road on that."

"It's a cool point of view to be like 'my heroes are still innocent. My heroes didn't f***ing lie to America. My heroes didn't embezzle money from their corporations. My heroes didn't commit any atrocities.' That's cool. But you're living in a f***ing dream world."

Now that's the attitude to have when making film about DC heroes. That said, I can believe part of this is coming from the frustration he's had over so many fans venting their own ire about said films.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Maybe he should make good movies, then

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What an asshole

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

He has made good movies.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Zack Snyder should probably just not respond to the criticism thrown his way but I also recognize that it is probably frustrating to have folks always shit-talking you.

There is a part of the internet that seems to have this hard-on to bash him over anything.

And that constant negative attention can get to a person.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

He has made good movies.

I will take your word for it, I've only seen bad movies coming from him, and nothing else about him makes me want to give him the benefit of the doubt

He's absolutely earned the criticism he gets

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    His version of Dawn Of The Dead was good. George Romero even had positive things to say about it despite him not liking running zombies.

• Options
    Haaaaa. Remember that discussion a little bit ago about Batman working with other detectives in older comics and it being rad as hell?

Apparently Scott Snyder is a big fan of it too, judging from a preview of his Detective Comics #1000 story:
    el4j2xly0qf8.jpg
    Hawkman and Hawkgirl are there because Snyder has really pushed the idea that they are historical detectives, piecing together mysteries from across the history of mankind.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    At a recent Q&A session with the director after a screening of his 2009 film Watchmen, (Zack) Snyder was asked about the dark tone that his DC movies had, and how fans had an issue with that fact both Batman and Superman kill people in them. As the footage posted to reddit revealed, the director didn't have much sympathy for their point of view.

"Someone says to me: Batman killed a guy. I'm like, 'F***, really? Wake the f*ck up'," he said. "Once you've lost your virginity to this f***ing movie and then you come and say to me something about like 'my superhero wouldn't do that.' I'm like 'Are you serious?' I'm like down the fucking road on that."

"It's a cool point of view to be like 'my heroes are still innocent. My heroes didn't f***ing lie to America. My heroes didn't embezzle money from their corporations. My heroes didn't commit any atrocities.' That's cool. But you're living in a f***ing dream world."

Now that's the attitude to have when making film about DC heroes. That said, I can believe part of this is coming from the frustration he's had over so many fans venting their own ire about said films.

Maybe he shouldn't be making movies about those characters then.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The coloring turned him into 3longated Man

• Options
    i am glad the dc comics are taking that which was laid out in the brave and the bold/scooby doo crossover movie

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Haaaaa. Remember that discussion a little bit ago about Batman working with other detectives in older comics and it being rad as hell?

Apparently Scott Snyder is a big fan of it too, judging from a preview of his Detective Comics #1000 story:
    el4j2xly0qf8.jpg
    Hawkman and Hawkgirl are there because Snyder has really pushed the idea that they are historical detectives, piecing together mysteries from across the history of mankind.

Who are
    The woman in red and the guy with his arms spread?

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

el4j2xly0qf8.jpg

Who are
    Sue Dibny and Slam Bradley

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    kinda fucked up that angel and the ape weren't invited

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    kinda fucked up that angel and the ape weren't invited
    Its okay, Bendis is doing something with them somewhere down the line

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wait for real???

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    wait for real???
    He has been steadily hinting at future storylines in various Action Comics splash pages and intros with little clues and there have been a few Angel and the Ape references hidden away in there

It isn't, like, confirmation but its been pretty steadily accurate so far

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

el4j2xly0qf8.jpg

Who are
    Sue Dibny and Slam Bradley
    Ah, that's what I thought for the first one, but turns out I have no idea who the second one is. I always appreciate referencing obscure characters, though!

This discussion has been closed.