As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Thread! Streaming Service is live! Aquaman out in December! Comics, I guess!

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    you are all jerks

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    “Alfred, get another Robin costume case.”

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    “I see you’ve made him a little cape and

Oh, and a mask with... with two eye holes...?

Sir....”

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    DC released the final pages of the Superman issue that was to be released last week, showing the new Legion of Super-Heroes DCU debut

It also has a pretty rad swerve I did not see coming
    Bendis' Superman run has been not so subtly hinting at Superman founding the United Planets, which eventually leads to the Legion

Except
    x3n54upif3ho.jpg
    5wj5sbsefq7s.jpg
    fn7h760ddx1h.jpg
    te0x1pjdzog7.jpg

Turns out the United Planets are founded by Jon, not Clark

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    BIG spoilers for the next issue of batman
    apparently Bane snaps Alfred's neck after Robin breaks into gotham.

While I'm not happy about Alfred getting killed, I don't think there has been a lot of stories with batman without Alfred?

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options

While I'm not happy about Alfred getting killed, I don't think there has been a lot of stories with batman without Alfred?
    I love Alfred so I am bummed but also not really upset about the choice to do that

Like you said, Alfred has been an ever-present, well, presence in the Batman Family for basically as long as I've been alive and even well before that

I am okay with them exploring what Batman's world looks like without him, and having Bane prove his threats aren't idle is as good a way as any

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

Fuck, that's definitely a big death and yeah I'm 100% fine with it since it's going to shake up Batman status quo for sure.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    While I agree that it's an interesting idea to explore, and would definitely cause changes, that's something I'd much rather were explored in an Elseworlds and not in mainline continuity.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    While I agree that it's an interesting idea to explore, and would definitely cause changes, that's something I'd much rather were explored in an Elseworlds and not in mainline continuity.
    Ehhhh
    It HAS been done in Elseworlds before

Having it be done in the main DCU is basically the only way it would be actually interesting at this point

The last time I can find Alfred being completely off the board is in 1964 and that only lasted a few issues

Alfred is an outstanding character and I love him dearly but over 50 years of being around is a pretty long run

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    i demand at least three jokes about how not a tragedy it is for a millionaire to no longer have a butler by a villain what knows his identity

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Expanding on the Batman spoiler:
    It is right in line with what King appears to be doing with his run, allowing Bruce to move beyond his parents and their murder, at least to a degree, and live life as his own (Bat)man.

Alfred is the only thing in his life that ties him directly to his parents, what with Alfred working for them and then acting as Bruce's surrogate father after their death.

By taking Alfred out of the equation (and having Bruce defeat Flashpoint Thomas, which appears to be the endgame of the run judging from issue 83's cover) he is leaving the book with a Bruce Wayne who has literally defeated his past, has lost his second father who was also a direct connection to his parents and is embracing life with someone else in Catwoman which is

A pretty good status quo shift

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It is right in line with what King appears to be doing with his run, allowing Bruce to move beyond his parents and their murder, at least to a degree, and live life as his own (Bat)man.

Alfred is the only thing in his life that ties him directly to his parents, what with Alfred working for them and then acting as Bruce's surrogate father after their death.

By taking Alfred out of the equation (and having Bruce defeat Flashpoint Thomas, which appears to be the endgame of the run judging from issue 83's cover) he is leaving the book with a Bruce Wayne who has literally defeated his past, has lost his second father who was also a direct connection to his parents and is embracing life with someone else in Catwoman which is

I think
    just about everything about Batman ties him to his parents. The company, the money, the estate, etc etc. I don't think taking Alfred out of the equation really gets to the point you're making about separating Bruce from the shadow of his parents.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I think
    just about everything about Batman ties him to his parents. The company, the money, the estate, etc etc. I don't think taking Alfred out of the equation really gets to the point you're making about separating Bruce from the shadow of his parents.
    Those are ties, sure, although I would argue how strong they are given how many times Wayne Enterprises has had hostile takeovers or management coups or what have you and how many times the manor has had to be rebuilt.

But they are just things

Alfred is a living, breathing tether to his childhood and his parents and an incredibly huge influence on Bruce's life.

There are other, smaller, touchstones (like Gordon helping kid Bruce after the murder in some continuities or Leslie Thompkins knowing Bruce since he was a child after their murder) but absolutely none of them are as prominent and constant of a reminder as Alfred is.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I don't really disagree with the motivation behind this change or anything, I just don't want
    Alfred dead

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I don't really disagree with the motivation behind this change or anything, I just don't want
    Alfred dead
    Especially since he will inevitably come back, which means some boring shenanigans.

Jason Todd should have stayed dead. Instead of a reminder of how fucked up having a Robin actually is, it's just a blip like taking a prominent disabled character and just making her able again.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    This is also the comic book series that literally just had a plot about bringing Batman's parents back from death with a Lazarus pit. If they don't want Alfred's death to be permanent, it won't be.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Time for:
    The Reign of the Butlers

Cyborg Alfred
    Teen Alfred
    Black Alfred
    And fuck, uh, the fourth one? The Last Son of... England?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    sometimes the status quo does change. Granted less so now that its become a mantra between artists and fans that comics never really change but it does happen. Lets all hold hands a believe.
    maybe if we clap our hands the bulter will stay dead.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    This is also the comic book series that literally just had a plot about bringing Batman's parents back from death with a Lazarus pit. If they don't want Alfred's death to be permanent, it won't be.
    Don't worry, Bruce will just sell his happiness / marriage to Catwoman to the devil in exchange for bringing back Alfred.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    my critiques of status quo change
    very tired of killing off a character as a reason for a status quo change in comics. it actually makes it feel more stagnant to me because the implication is that death is the only thing that could change things, no one can move on their own

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Remember when we were told there was something big King had to get approval for, and we all assumed it was Batman and Catwoman finally getting married for real?

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    my critiques of status quo change
    very tired of killing off a character as a reason for a status quo change in comics. it actually makes it feel more stagnant to me because the implication is that death is the only thing that could change things, no one can move on their own
    yeah I think it's kind of wild to suggest that in order to move on from trauma, you need newer, fresher trauma. People move past things without people dying

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Has there ever been a status quo change in one of the big 2 comic companies that has actually stuck? I can't think of any.

Growing up the touchstone was always "Bucky stays dead" but that obviously changed.

I don't even necessarily mean that as a criticism. I just think the nature of the industry and writer turn-over makes maintaining a status quo (esp a new one) almost impossible.

• Options
    Status quo changes all the time. Maintaining a status quo is impossible as it keeps changing.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Status quo changes all the time. Maintaining a status quo is impossible as it keeps changing.

Eh, I don't think that's really what I'm getting at. I'm talking fundamental changes to a narrative the way you see in a lot of creator-owned projects. I'm not talking about the X-Men moving to Australia.

My point being, when you don't have pre-plotted narrative that goes from beginning to end it seems like a difficult thing to do as it requires control.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Alan Moore's Swamp Thing-retcon maybe? Haven't read Swamp Thing in literally decades, so it can be that he's just Alec Holland transformed again.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    It's hard to say as most of the recent changes are too recent to say whether they've made a real change to the status quo or if they're destined for the dustbin as soon as whatever force behind them dissipates or a new writer gets a hold of them.

Red Hood would be a successful status quo change. Damien too. Batman is now a dad.

If you ignore the "real change" qualifier then comics are constantly changing all the time. If you include the qualifier then comics still change, but you often can't tell until the moment is past. When you look back and go, "oh, that character or element hasn't been around forever? Wow, feels like it was there in the beginning."

Who knows, maybe there's a universe out there where Electric Blue and Red Superman stuck around.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Psylocke becoming an Asian ninja would be up there until recently, no?

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I don't feel like Psylocke was a super established figure even by the time that change hit. She hit a level of mass awareness post-ninja transformation I don't think she had previously.
    Like she'd been a character for quite some time coming in from Captain Britain etc. But I feel like she'd been on the fringes of the X-Men for a while even though she'd been there through some big arcs.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Batman has always been a dad.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    don't you dare kill my precious baby

Instead of dying, maybe he just descends into the depths of a life threatening battle with depression and alcoholism?
    Call me quick DC, this Whiskey in the Jarro idea has legs.

Soooo many legs.

see317 on
  • Options
    but i don't need jarro to be more like me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Jimmy Olsen #2 was hilarious but also proved Fraction has still got it when it comes to writing genuinely sweet emotional moments.
    Jimmy is facing a bit of a identity crisis, as his latest stunt demolished a Metropolis landmark and is just the latest in a long line of very expensive fiascos. His brother, Julian, guilts him both over the damage he is doing to their city and the fact that he is a Pulitzer prize winning member of the Olsen family but is best known for being a goofball who causes mishaps and hijinks more than anything else

After this Jimmy films his latest video, unveiling SUPERMAN'S SECRET SUPER-POWERS
    g0dt8qdfz6av.jpg
    miub60lgtj3c.jpg
    u96wfrk66w58.jpg
    cz7he8abbgpr.jpg

Then there is a montage of Jimmy's wacky, costly, misadventures (with a few shots of him being a serious journalist including him pretty battered and bruised with Lois out on war correspondence) and he rethinks
    n2c1twdsr5k8.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Trying to read New Super-Man through the collected editions, and I've hit a weird snag

It looks like #19 is just... not collected anywhere?

Volume 3 says it collects #13-18

And then there's a title change to New Super-Man and the Justice League of China, but it keeps the numbering

And that volume starts with #20

That can't be right, can it?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    G. Willow Wilson is leaving Wonder Woman with November's issue, making her run about 20 issues long

She is leaving to do a "bucket-list dream project" which is good, but still a bummer. Her Wonder Woman was really good and underappreciated. It managed to have fun fantasy adventures alongside some commentary on the current state of America as well as giving prominent spotlights to LGBTQ couples and bringing in a non-binary character as part of Diana's supporting cast.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Trying to read New Super-Man through the collected editions, and I've hit a weird snag

And then there's a title change to New Super-Man and the Justice League of China, but it keeps the numbering

Number 19 appears to have been a left over fill-in issue, so they may well just not have bothered to collect it.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

Number 19 appears to have been a left over fill-in issue, so they may well just not have bothered to collect it.

What... does that mean?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

What... does that mean?

my guess would be an issue that wasn't part of the larger story, often because the writer or artist needed an extra month so they got someone to do a one-shot side story to fill time

like the issue of Ultimate Spider-Man where Peter and Wolverine switch bodies for a day

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

What... does that mean?

my guess would be an issue that wasn't part of the larger story, often because the writer or artist needed an extra month so they got someone to do a one-shot side story to fill time

like the issue of Ultimate Spider-Man where Peter and Wolverine switch bodies for a day
    That was by Bendis and Bagley too, if I recall

It was just a goofy 2 parter Bendis was dared to do by an assistant editor, if I remember right

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.