As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Thread! Streaming Service is live! Aquaman out in December! Comics, I guess!

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The report says Davidson would have a small cameo role, at least

Just swap some letters around on Pete Davidson and give me two doctor whos instead

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Welp

Doomsday Clock #11 reveals, per some early spoilers
    None of the New 52 shit is Doctor Manhattan's fault

In fact, he is responsible for Rebirth, as he found Superman such a pivotal, primal figure that he wanted to meet the true Superman and not the watered down, angsty New 52 Clark

The true villain of the series is

Gasp

Ozymandias, who has planned everything up to this point and does the straight up 35 MINUTES AGO shit again

Aaaaahhahahahhahahahahahahaha

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    That certainly was worth the months of waiting /s

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Welp

In fact, he is responsible for Rebirth, as he found Superman such a pivotal, primal figure that he wanted to meet the true Superman and not the watered down, angsty New 52 Clark

Gasp

Ozymandias, who has planned everything up to this point and does the straight up 35 MINUTES AGO shit again

Wait, didn't the last issue show his messing with the Golden Age Green Lantern and thus the rest of the heroes in that time basically caused N52 to happen? And how could Ozymandias pull that off at all?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Welp

Gasp

sxia5k92dnbr.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    it's watchmen's fault dc is bad, at its core, was such a goddamn neat premise

i think that's what ticks me off the most

it was a very good germ of an idea

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited September 2019

I think in the hands of a writer who could tackle both the stuff Watchmen should be held accountable for and the stuff that other writers did themselves by chasing that dragon too far it could have been genuinely interesting

The man who is responsible for the New 52 and wrote Blackest Night is not that writer, it turns out

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Welp

Gasp

Wait, didn't the last issue show his messing with the Golden Age Green Lantern and thus the rest of the heroes in that time basically caused N52 to happen? And how could Ozymandias pull that off at all?
    Wait till the next issue in 6 months!
    Apparently he reveals he has this big plan only to reveal it has worked via Saturn Girl getting Thanos'd because the Legion future is no longer there and thats where things end

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

I think in the hands of a writer who could tackle both the stuff Watchmen should be held accountable for and the stuff that other writers did themselves by chasing that dragon too far it could have been genuinely interesting

The man who is responsible for the New 52 and wrote Blackest Night is not that writer, it turns out

The (former) CCO of DC Entertainment writing a story of how everything wrong with the last 25-30 years of the DC universe is the fault of a standalone comic never meant to be part by an estranged creative team and not , you know, massive editorial miss management for a long period, just feels so tacky (can't think of a better word).

You wanna blame Moore for things within the DCU? The Killing Joke is right there.

But Geoff's gonna Geoff.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Welp

Gasp

Okay why
    has Doctor Manhattan been fucking vaporizing people then

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I find it funny that while Doomsday Clock was stalled out waiting to get to this point, Kieron Gillen put out an entire 5-issue miniseries deconstructing Watchmen (and the idea of deconstructing comics itself). Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt definitely isn't for everyone, it's Gillen entirely on his bullshit and the most unabashedly meta thing he's done.

It also connects eerily with the latest Doomsday Clock spoilers
    The whole thing is about Peter Cannon, the hero Ozymandias was originally based on. It opens on him watching his planet get attacked by aliens, which he grudgingly helps the heroes of his world fight off before telling them that he knows what's really going on. The so-called "alien attack" was nothing more than a ruse to try and trick the world powers that had been on the brink of war to work together, and he knows this because it's an idea that he had and ultimately discarded because not only was it deeply unethical, it would also never work forever and the problems would always return. This leads him to conclude that they are under attack from a Peter Cannon from another dimension.

Sure enough, the villain of the series is essentially Watchmen's Ozymandias who ended up unlocking secret knowledge that gave him the power to defeat his world's "Nucleon" (aka Dr. Manhattan) but destroying most of the planet in the process, and from there has proceeded to replicate his "alien attack" experiment on countless parallel earths trying to perfect it and save those worlds from destruction/nuclear war.

like, Gillen kind of beat DC to a very specific punch in a way that's kind of uncanny

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Unless I missed a bunch of stuff , most of those doomsday clock 11 spoilers are pretty off ( though the issue says far less in it which is a different problem)
    ozy is pulling at strings, he leaked the stuff that caused firestorm to go to Russia, which lead the heroes to Manhattan and to Mars (so they were off planet and could not help superman), seems to want Manhattan and supes to fight. Asks Saturn girl if superman even remembers her / remarks that she is no longer of this timeline as she gets dusted, but remarks to Johnny thunder the past won't be erased. Issue ends with superman and Manhattan at a face off

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I do find it kind of neat that his plan appears to be
    the plan from the Watchmen movie, with Superman as the unifying threat instead of Manhattan

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Die continues to be very good and I want to thank this thread once again for mentioning it to me so I know it exists

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    If what I read about today's issue of Doomsday Clock is true, there is something possibly cool revealed.
    Turns out Lex has been investigating into Manhattan's interference since OG-Wally's return from the Speed Force (which he may or may not have been there to witness?). And this apparently also let him figure out more or less how the DCU's been resetting around Superman. Now he wants to end the cycle so he finally wins the fight.

That said, it seems a character's role in the story has been kinda pointless...
    ...as Oz manages to poof Saturn Girl out of existence by pointing out that Superman currently doesn't remember her. So her being around since Rebirth's start ended up pretty much for nothing.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I recently subscribed to DC Universe to catch up on Doom Patrol and Young Justice and probably Swamp Thing

But what's good in the comics department there? Any big stuff I ought've read by now on there?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I find it funny that while Doomsday Clock was stalled out waiting to get to this point, Kieron Gillen put out an entire 5-issue miniseries deconstructing Watchmen (and the idea of deconstructing comics itself). Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt definitely isn't for everyone, it's Gillen entirely on his bullshit and the most unabashedly meta thing he's done.

The whole thing is about Peter Cannon, the hero Ozymandias was originally based on. It opens on him watching his planet get attacked by aliens, which he grudgingly helps the heroes of his world fight off before telling them that he knows what's really going on. The so-called "alien attack" was nothing more than a ruse to try and trick the world powers that had been on the brink of war to work together, and he knows this because it's an idea that he had and ultimately discarded because not only was it deeply unethical, it would also never work forever and the problems would always return. This leads him to conclude that they are under attack from a Peter Cannon from another dimension.

Sure enough, the villain of the series is essentially Watchmen's Ozymandias who ended up unlocking secret knowledge that gave him the power to defeat his world's "Nucleon" (aka Dr. Manhattan) but destroying most of the planet in the process, and from there has proceeded to replicate his "alien attack" experiment on countless parallel earths trying to perfect it and save those worlds from destruction/nuclear war.

like, Gillen kind of beat DC to a very specific punch in a way that's kind of uncanny
    Yeah, I was just thinking how "Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt" is the only Watchmen-successor comic I'm aware of that actually tries to follow the example of Watchmen and take a step forward and think for itself rather than riding coattails and/or cashing in on a brand. It also manages to both show reverence for that work, and also to firmly analyze and criticize it.

The phrase "it's Gillen entirely on his bullshit" is 100% accurate, though. I mean I love it, I'm the biggest Gillen fanboy, but not everyone is.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Yeah, I was just thinking how "Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt" is the only Watchmen-successor comic I'm aware of that actually tries to follow the example of Watchmen and take a step forward and think for itself rather than riding coattails and/or cashing in on a brand. It also manages to both show reverence for that work, and also to firmly analyze and criticize it.

The phrase "it's Gillen entirely on his bullshit" is 100% accurate, though. I mean I love it, I'm the biggest Gillen fanboy, but not everyone is.

When I say "Watchmen-successor", I mean that in a very broad way: both things like "Before Watchmen", and just comics that try to emulate what they think the point of Watchmen is.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Welp

Gasp

I love comics

Like the constant delays for the series to even get to this point makes it funnier

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    If what I read about today's issue of Doomsday Clock is true, there is something possibly cool revealed.
    Turns out Lex has been investigating into Manhattan's interference since OG-Wally's return from the Speed Force (which he may or may not have been there to witness?). And this apparently also let him figure out more or less how the DCU's been resetting around Superman. Now he wants to end the cycle so he finally wins the fight.

...as Oz manages to poof Saturn Girl out of existence by pointing out that Superman currently doesn't remember her. So her being around since Rebirth's start ended up pretty much for nothing.

Regarding that second spoiler
    Could it be any more obvious that Editorial pulled the Legion from Johns to give to Bendis?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Justice League is getting properly ridiculous now and I am really into it
    Brainiac has used Perpetua's powers to bottle potential pasts and futures of Earth, scouring them for the last fragments of power that the Legion of Doom needs while also spurring the time periods further towards Doom.

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman end up in Kamandi's timeline, recruiting him to their cause before jumping to DC One Million and discovering it has been overrun by Brainiac.

Flash and GL go back to the 1940s and meet the Justice Society for the first time, on the brink of WW2. There are some
    really fun interactions and they end up going to retrieve the artifact at a Naval base.

In Hawaii

On December 7th, 1941.

While the Legion of Doom flies in with Gorilla Grodd and pals launching the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

Regarding that second spoiler
    Could it be any more obvious that Editorial pulled the Legion from Johns to give to Bendis?

DC's main narrative problem remains the presense of three or four heavy hitters all throwing their weight around and trying to do their big 'this changes everything' storylines at the same time.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options

It looks like Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo might be doing the long rumored Suicide Squad relaunch?

Hell of a creative team for it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    That character is rad

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Thylacine is a good name for a character

Can't wait for the Looney Tunes crossover where she teams up with Taz

Edit: Wait shit
    If that's Suicide Squad, is she Captain Boomerang's daughter?

Or I guess maybe Bronze Tiger's daughter, if we're looking to emphasize the tiger aspect over the Australian stereotype aspect

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Thylacine is a good name for a character

Can't wait for the Looney Tunes crossover where she teams up with Taz

Edit: Wait shit
    If that's Suicide Squad, is she Captain Boomerang's daughter?

Or I guess maybe Bronze Tiger's daughter, if we're looking to emphasize the tiger aspect over the Australian stereotype aspect
    I don't expect her to be related to either of them, but she definitely seems to be the Bronze Tiger of the group given the costume colors and animal name.

She seems like she might be an aboriginal/indigenous Australian?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Do the Birds of Prey fight Pennywise? was my first thought with that trailer.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    honovere wrote: »

A joke about clowns.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

He's part of the DCU now.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Looks like it is actually screening in front of IT, part 2 right now, so I wasn't that far off

• Options
    Tom Taylor confirmed A) that character design is for a new series not a continuation of DCeased or what have you and B) she is Aborginal Australian, which rules

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The Riddler: Year of the Villain preview
    hl27kxcd1oy5.jpg
    st23shehjlau.jpg
    5o8vjwd8d38y.jpg
    75hukcvpyr1o.jpg
    o5aq3xpwz8pt.jpg

Where do I file a formal request to give Mark Russell a Riddler/C-List villain ongoing?

Also making Tut actually Egyptian versus a white guy in a racist costume is a welcome change

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    That preview
    "Is it because of the riddle themed traps? The gimmicks? Is that why we fail?"

"No. Don't say that. Don't ever say that!"

That reaction has me cracking up at work

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    That preview

That is just so exactly the right response for flipping King Tut.

In other news:

Second SUPERMAN Issue Pulled from 'Year of the Villain' Crossover, New Cover Planned

Like I said,
    DC's main narrative problem remains the presense of three or four heavy hitters all throwing their weight around and trying to do their big 'this changes everything' storylines at the same time.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Ehhhhh that isn't really the same problem

The reason those are getting pulled is because originally Bendis was going to tie into YotV but the Legion stuff getting moved up pushed that out so rather than print covers that aren't actually accurate they are just reprinting them

The issues with updating the LoSH art for Lightning Lad and Bouncing Boy factored in too, I'm sure

Really I think the non-Johns writers are doing an okay job of working together. King, Bendis and Snyder are the big three at DC right now and King and Snyder worked together to make City of Bane work with Year of the Villain for the most par and Bendis has tied Event Leviathan into it a bit as well.

The biggest non-Doomsday Clock issue is the gigantic multiverse ending collapse in Snyder's Justice League largely being ignored in other books even though that would immediately be like pirority #1 for every major hero and team

DC is just also okay with playing a bit looser with continuity right now and that's fine. They aren't stressing about everything lining up 100% and are instead focusing on the broad strokes

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Wait why is it changing my post so City of Bane is City of Ba...

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The forums have occasionally been not kind to Mobile.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Yeah stuff will get randomly truncated sometimes

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    That preview

That "Damn it" killed me.

This discussion has been closed.