As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural Disasters] Talk About Your Heavy Weather Here

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    kaid wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Read this via BBC News,
    So far, officials have registered 40 aftershocks: 10 with magnitudes above 4.0 and three with magnitudes above 5.0, the Alaska Earthquake Center reported.
    It also notes that the quake was recorded by instruments as far away as Boston.

I'm not seeing anything about anyone being killed or injured by this. If that's really the case, then that's a fucking miracle. 7.0 is pretty heavy duty for a quake. So far it's a lot of power outage and collapsed road news.

Still pretty early yet to say but alaska I assume the building codes up there are pretty good after the last couple really major quakes did sever damage up there. Still given what it did to some of the roads we may not yet know if there were any casualties from a side road suddenly becoming a side chasm yet

It's weird dichotomy they have up there - on the one hand, there are few places better prepared for natural disasters as far as equipment and on-the-ground expertise are concerned. On the other hand, there is literally one highway that travels north-south through Anchorage, and if something fucks it up, there's no alternative routing of traffic. It's shut down until it can be fixed.

One upside is that lower population does mean lower death tolls. And they have a robust supply of bush planes and such, so the highway being out should hopefully be limited to inconvenience, though it's going to be a whipe before that's fixed I bet. Especially with it being winter now.

I'm thinking of all the people that commute daily between Palmer / Wasilla and Anchorage. It's a fair number of people, and they're going to be SOL for awhile.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    kaid wrote: »
    Read this via BBC News,
    So far, officials have registered 40 aftershocks: 10 with magnitudes above 4.0 and three with magnitudes above 5.0, the Alaska Earthquake Center reported.
    It also notes that the quake was recorded by instruments as far away as Boston.

I'm not seeing anything about anyone being killed or injured by this. If that's really the case, then that's a fucking miracle. 7.0 is pretty heavy duty for a quake. So far it's a lot of power outage and collapsed road news.

Still pretty early yet to say but alaska I assume the building codes up there are pretty good after the last couple really major quakes did sever damage up there. Still given what it did to some of the roads we may not yet know if there were any casualties from a side road suddenly becoming a side chasm yet

It's weird dichotomy they have up there - on the one hand, there are few places better prepared for natural disasters as far as equipment and on-the-ground expertise are concerned. On the other hand, there is literally one highway that travels north-south through Anchorage, and if something fucks it up, there's no alternative routing of traffic. It's shut down until it can be fixed.

One upside is that lower population does mean lower death tolls. And they have a robust supply of bush planes and such, so the highway being out should hopefully be limited to inconvenience, though it's going to be a whipe before that's fixed I bet. Especially with it being winter now.

Yeah, the number of planes and pilots is insane. Most of the planes need a few hundred feet at most to take off. My father was a bush pilot growing up and I'd go to work with him sometimes. There was a large number of villages we'd land in that had only one road, and that road doubled as the runway.

Add to that the sheer amount of snowmachines and ATVs
    Plus large and numerous rivers that allow access deep in to the interior (Mostly for villages on the delta)
    And a few hundred professional dog sled teams
    And a Coast Guard that is well trained in rough conditions

Alaska is very well versed in getting supplies in to remote places, and getting people out of remote places

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    smma4dx2660w.jpg

So I'm vacationing on Mauritius and just saw this posted at my hotel. Hopefully Cilida doesn't decide to come any closer.

In any case, I have a feeling my Sunday catamaran cruise isn't going to happen...

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Krakatoa has erupted (yes, THAT Krakatoa) and the resulting tsunami has hit Indonesia. BBC are reporting that at least 20 people have been killed.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yikes. No appropriate reaction button for that.

• Options
    Yeah, it's one of those things where you hear the news and think "Oh shit! Please don't be as bad as that sounds..."

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just read about that and had to really check in to make sure there wasn't somehow a second volcano with the same name. Ever since its massive eruption over 100 years ago the island was reforming at a pretty rapid rate, like visible in a lifetime. Damn thing does not want to sleep.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    There's horrific footage of a band called Seventeen who were holding a concert when the stage is suddenly engulfed in water from behind. They and the crowd couldn't see it coming because there was a large backdrop obscuring the view. I won't post the video as it's grim stuff.

The Jakarta Post are reporting that the band's bassist M. Awal "Bani" Purbani and their road manager Oki Wijaya were found dead. The lead vocalist survived, but four other members of the band's team are missing, including his wife.

BBC News now have the death toll at 168.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I saw the video footage and will second people not look it up, it's kinda freaky. I hate the news about the band members, that's awful.

• Options
    It’s rapidly appearing to be as bad as it sounds. The death toll has already broken 200. The Associated Press have it at 222.

It appears that many of the crowd watching Seventeen perform are among the dead and missing. The stage was right on the beach, and the music was too loud to hear the wave approaching. They just didn’t have a chance.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Goddammit, I just listened to a good book about the infamous Krakatoa eruption.....

• Options
    This lady describes what happened to her when the tsunami hit, via BBC.

Also people are being warned to stay away from the coasts though it doesn't appear to be an official evacuation. Krakatoa is still billowing smoke and shit, and they probably suspect another eruption that might cause another tsunami.

How come Indonesia doesn't have any sort of warning or siren system for this stuff? They live in a pretty big hot spot for volcanic activity.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    $$$. Both for installation and maintainance. And for replacing stolen parts of the system.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    How much time was there between the eruption and the tsunami? Maybe there wasn’t time to get a warning out?

• Options
    Temporal ParadoxTemporal Paradox Registered User regular
    Probably 5 minutes or less at the closest point. The other thing to consider is it was the middle of the night.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Just read about the Indonesian tsunami. I'm not sure if the government messed up with warning systems, I just know it sounds horrible. People watching a concert at the beach and it just came up. The bands bassist and manager are dead and 4 other memyers are missing including the singers wife. Sounds like there was no time to prepare and it was simply luck of the dice on if you survived.

Sounds absolutely horrible and I hope the death count doesn't go up much more.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Just saw the video on a news clips, there were little children in that crowd :(

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    This lady describes what happened to her when the tsunami hit, via BBC.

Also people are being warned to stay away from the coasts though it doesn't appear to be an official evacuation. Krakatoa is still billowing smoke and shit, and they probably suspect another eruption that might cause another tsunami.

How come Indonesia doesn't have any sort of warning or siren system for this stuff? They live in a pretty big hot spot for volcanic activity.

Warning probably would not have mattered. It was a volcanic eruption and then landslide. Not a large underwater earthquake. The slide would have produced a quake but it would have been relatively small and not produced the types of waves that are detected by early monitoring systems.

A landslide tsunami is like someone splashing you in a pool. An earthquake tsunami like someone moving the floor of the pool.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'm trying to visualize the wave in my head. Would it have a high crest but short duration? How much material would have to hit the water from a landslide/eruption to displace that much water and generate a wave that high?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I'm trying to visualize the wave in my head. Would it have a high crest but short duration? How much material would have to hit the water from a landslide/eruption to displace that much water and generate a wave that high?

It's not a 1:1 relationship between mass displaced and wave size/height, but the same reason hydraulics work is the reason landslides/earthquakes can cause such nasty waves: water effectively does not compress, so dumping a large mass into it means the water is pretty good at conserving that energy until it hits something. Out in the open ocean, a very very "big" wave might not even be noticeable because the ocean is deep enough that the amplitude doesn't shove a bunch of water upwards. Once that same wave starts hitting shallow areas, it can rapidly become compressed and suddenly that amplitude is jammed against the sea floor, displacing a massive amount of water as a result. Then you suddenly get a very very large wave travelling over land because that energy has to go somewhere and water is, again, notable for not compressing, so it just moves until the energy is spent.

The water in a tsunami can be enough to drop the water level in the immediate area a very noticeable amount, so the answer is a roundabout "a total fuckload of water". Unfortunately, seeing that also means the wave is very close, and it has to be daytime to see it happen in the first place.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Tsunami waves don't act like normal waves. Don't picture a wave. Picture the sea level suddenly being 10 feet higher for a few minutes.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    From my understanding it's more like the tide is rising beyond what it normally does...and it keeps going up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spg62-MrYpQ

• Options
    Fuh. King. Hell.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Tidal wave is kind of unintentionally apt there.

• Options
    Although it can be the gigantic wall of water under the right circumstances:

https://youtu.be/S2ZOmMH4WHA?t=173

And it just keeps rising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8gxHVlP62w

Shit's scary as fuck and I'm an ocean and 6 years removed from that event.

• Options
    Those people getting cut off in their cars as they try to turn round. Gut-wrenching.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Tsunami waves don't act like normal waves. Don't picture a wave. Picture the sea level suddenly being 10 feet higher for a few minutes.

For an earthquake tsunami yes. But this was not that. This would have been a high crest and short duration.

Earthquake tsunamis feature absolutely monstrous amounts of water. Because water does not compress well it is almost a 1:1 ratio of “water moved by the event” to “water that ends up on shore”. The reason waves get very high is that the shoreline compresses the event. The volume of the shoreline is much lower than the volume of the event space and so the wave is higher.

A landslide Tsunami will tend to generate waves greater than 1:1 ratio of water to land slid because the rate of the land slide produces a net negative area after it lands. (Like dropping a rock into a pool), the volume of the waves is bigger than the volume of the rock.

Imagine a swimming pool. An earthquake tsunami is like moving the deep end up 1 inch. The wave, when it gets to the shallow end of the pool and only composes 1/10th the area of the deep end is going to have a wave 10 inches high or it’s going to travel out the end of the pool for half the length. The 2011 tsunami (from the video) had a seafloor increase of about 10 feet* (and a coastline decrease of about 2). Hence there was a lot of water going everywhere and it just kept coming.

A landslide tsunami is like dropping a rock (or someone doing a cannon ball) into the pool. You probably won’t even notice it at the other side because the total volume is relatively tiny. But close to the drop you’re going to get a big splash. The tsunami we are talking about here occurred as a result of something like that. The devastation was localized to the area around the volcano. But the wave was likely quite high and very fast.

If you’re willing to watch the concert video** you will see how, rather than the “slow” continuing deluge of water (which increases in “height” rapidly only when it breaches sea walls) we see the Japanese Tsunami, we get a very fast “wall” type wave. All 6 feet of Tsunami hits right at once.

*estimations and not also not volumes.

**people don’t directly die in the video that I have seen but lots of them die shortly thereafter. It is definitely a graphic video

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If you get squicked out easily by watching people actually being engulfed by a tragedy, don't watch the concert video.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    If you get squicked out easily by watching people actually being engulfed by a tragedy, don't watch the concert video.

I have done everything in my power yo avoid it, including when the nightly news played it without any warnings while I was visiting my parents.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Jesus, at the start of one of those videos the water is moving in carrying what looks like a burning home. What the fuck, nature.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That was in one of the most developed and well-prepares-for-disaster countries as well...

• Options
    A few hours ago an ash plume was captured over Krakatoa by satellite imaging. It doesn't appear to have done any other damage since the eruption over a week ago.

• Options
    A few hours ago an ash plume was captured over Krakatoa by satellite imaging. It doesn't appear to have done any other damage since the eruption over a week ago.

Small favors.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    From my understanding it's more like the tide is rising beyond what it normally does...and it keeps going up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spg62-MrYpQ

Yup that is a good illustration of how most tusnami look. It basically looks like the tide rising and rising and it just does not stop and keeps pushing further and further inland until it is spent. Not a lot of warning no big noises to let you know it is coming. If you can see the shore line and you see the water go out that gives you some heads up but by the time you notice that it may already be too late to get far enough inland to be safe.

With the one that just hit indonesia even if the warning systems were setup and functional they had probably 5-10 minutes to react to it and given the time of night it struck its pretty doubtful it would have made any difference.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    One thing to note is there are tsunami that generate really tall walls of water but those are generally from abrupt events hitting an area that funnels the water. There are some good illustrations of this in various Fjords and places out in the northwestern US where underwater and surface features serve as focuses to amplify the effect of these kinds of events. But mostly when you hear tusnami or tidal wave what you see in indonesia and fukishima is the pretty classic demonstration of it where its not a 30 foot wall of water but it is a mass of water that will get 20-30 feet high before the event is done as the water keeps pushing further ashore.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    We're getting a lot of rain down here in SoCal, and it's causing mudslides and debris flows in the areas affected by the Woolsey Fire, and there are cars caught in the flows. PCH and Mulholland Drive are closed near the Los Angeles/Ventura county line. NWS put out a flash flood warning stating that some spots had seen .4" of rain in half an hour.

Apparently there are reports of microbursts over LAX (affected air traffic routing and doppler images in this thread):

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

So this garbage thing happened.
    Maybe California should block taxes from being paid to the federal government if the Trump administration is going to withhold lifesaving federal services.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    holy shit

he can still surprise me with how terrible he is

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Can he even do that?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.