As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural Disasters] Talk About Your Heavy Weather Here

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    The Administration continues to shit on Puerto Rico. In this case, FEMA denies it additional forensic units to help resolve the backlog of corpses from the hurricane. via, CBS
    Rosselló had said that the backlog couldn't be stabilized without immediate assistance from the federal government, particularly the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and FEMA. But in a letter obtained by CBS News dated Feb. 20, FEMA denied the Puerto Rican government's request to deploy a second Disaster Mortuary Operations Response Team (DMORT), citing the lack of an "immediate disaster-related threat."

In short, while the oversight board has released $1.5 to help pay to resolve the backlog, FEMA is still being run by a shithead.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Trump promising Alabama the A+ treatment after the tornadoes. I wonder why he's so willing to help Alabama and not places like Puerto Rico. .. can't quite put my finger on it

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Because Trump does everything from a list in order and Alabama is the first in an alphabatised list of states?

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Trump went to Alabama and signed bibles. He signed people's bibles. That's what an author would do. Does he think he wrote the bible, or does he think he's god?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/08/trump-alabama-bibles-1213269

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Bush signed flags which goes against the flag code. Frankly, I'm unconcerned about what a celebrity signs compared to what people want to have signed.

EDIT:
    Also, family bibles are a thing. Especially in the South. Wanting the President, any President, to sign it can be a noteworthy family event. Now, he might think it, and they may want it, but it isn't wholly nefarious.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Personally it reminds be of the book burning scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. (the best of the trilogy)

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    It’s fairly normal to sign Bibles, but ordinarily it’d be something like a short religious message inside the cover plus a signature.

Trump = all ego

• Options
    He appeared at a church that was handing out supplies to survivors. Amazingly, that included bibles. In Alabama. These were essentially cheap, paperback editions and the one thing attendees had on hand for him to sign. So of course he signs the covers and moves on quickly. He'd have signed a cereal box if it was handed to him.

While I wouldn't be surprised if more than one attendee really feels that their bible is now 'sanctified' or some other silliness, there is no more to this than a situation made worse by the person who did the signing. No more or less meaningful than the time photographers caught GWB holding binoculars to his face with the lens caps still on. Binoculars he was just handed seconds before the pictures and being in a position where people are always taking pictures, something was going to look stupid.

Of all the things to criticise Trump for, such as the fact that they still don't give a shit about Puerto Rico or California but are all-in for rebuilding AL, this really isn't one of them. Unless he showed up beforehand and just signed a bunch of bibles before they were handed out... Even then, this would be really far down on a list of things to care about.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    He appeared at a church that was handing out supplies to survivors. Amazingly, that included bibles. In Alabama. These were essentially cheap, paperback editions and the one thing attendees had on hand for him to sign. So of course he signs the covers and moves on quickly. He'd have signed a cereal box if it was handed to him.

While I wouldn't be surprised if more than one attendee really feels that their bible is now 'sanctified' or some other silliness, there is no more to this than a situation made worse by the person who did the signing. No more or less meaningful than the time photographers caught GWB holding binoculars to his face with the lens caps still on. Binoculars he was just handed seconds before the pictures and being in a position where people are always taking pictures, something was going to look stupid.

Of all the things to criticise Trump for, such as the fact that they still don't give a shit about Puerto Rico or California but are all-in for rebuilding AL, this really isn't one of them. Unless he showed up beforehand and just signed a bunch of bibles before they were handed out... Even then, this would be really far down on a list of things to care about.

Not disagreeing here but I don’t know how much help AL will get either beyond lip service and eventually maybe some FEMA effort well below what’s needed. They sure as hell did fuck all for us down in the panhandle beyond the most basic of (eventual) response.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Midwest forumers, especially KS, CO, Dakota's, NE, and several states eastward:

You're probably not even close to being fully melted from the February and March snows but a massive storm with high winds and barometric pressure predicted to be as low as a Cat 2 Hurricane is on its way.

More to the west they're expecting snow, to the east (Especially Eastern Nebraska and Iowa) they're predicting flooding.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Oh yes the next few days are going to suck temps are going up fast and if we get heavy rain on top of our already large snow pack stuff is going to get yucky fast.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Oh yes the next few days are going to suck temps are going up fast and if we get heavy rain on top of our already large snow pack stuff is going to get yucky fast.

I'm in the orange area in Nebraska.

It's already looking bad and river levels are going up really fast.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/index.php?id=flood&sid=w__gmap

Useful resource for monitoring.

Edit: snapshot as of now

6lkyh59n8qs2.png

VishNub on
  • Options

I'm in the orange area in Nebraska.

It's already looking bad and river levels are going up really fast.

I am in green bay so just outside the orange but just looking at the levels of snow in my yard and how blocked off all the storm sewer stuff is by snow makes me think if we get anywhere near the rain they are talking about it is going to very quickly become unpleasent. I plan to try to carve some moats tonight to maybe help the water go elsehwere.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Also there's apparently a "Bomb Cyclone" coming so neat. We've been getting warned about it here in Denver for a few days now. Lots of warnings to basically not travel tomorrow if at all possible.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

counter point. I'm done with this fucking snow, bring on the thaw.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Counter counter point: Give me a week of 40-50 degree cloudy days so I don't end up taking a jetski to work.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    We are prepped for snowpocalypse #321654. Expected 2 inches rain followed by 12 inches snow and gusting winds to 60 mph just tonight. Then more tomorrow before it leaves.

Just a couple hours drive north of us they are expecting 24+ inches snow. :(

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    We are prepped for snowpocalypse #321654. Expected 2 inches rain followed by 12 inches snow and gusting winds to 60 mph just tonight. Then more tomorrow before it leaves.

Just a couple hours drive north of us they are expecting 24+ inches snow. :(

Meanwhile, in Michigan, it's supposed to be 68 on Thursday. Climate is kiiiiiiind of fucked. (Not that I mind this time)

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Its kind of interesting though understandable that the reaction to Fukashima was "oh no power plants" and not "oh no having populations near coastlines vulnerable to tsunamis"

10,000 people died from the tsunami not the reactor.

Prohass on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Blizzards coming that's just nuts. I'm sitting here glad I live in socal right now.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Its kind of interesting though understandable that the reaction to Fukashima was "oh no power plants" and not "oh no having populations near coastlines vulnerable to tsunamis"

You...kind of can't really get away from that in Japan. It is an island, if a big one. And the farther you go from the sea the rockier it is. Plus some things just can't be moved (ports).

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »

You...kind of can't really get away from that in Japan. It is an island, if a big one. And the farther you go from the sea the rockier it is. Plus some things just can't be moved (ports).

oh no i agree, its just that 10,000 people died. If 10,000 people died in a reactor accident I have to imagine we'd move heaven and earth in response and we'd be looking at nuclear power being blacklisted as an option in the future

Prohass on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Winds from the Bomb Cyclone around Denver and Colorado.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

I am totally down with a thaw. Just lets not do it all in a couple days. I redid my basement after storm sewer flooded it last year I don't want a repeat already.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Winds from the Bomb Cyclone around Denver and Colorado.

This has to be the strongest proof against the Illuminati to date - if they can't manipulate the weather around their headquarters, then how can they manipulate the world?

But seriously, stay safe, all of you in Denver.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

The stuff out of Denver is nuts.

I have seen I think maybe one or two blizzards this bad in my life. I hope everyone is staying safe, at home, and inside.

Please don't drive no matter what you boss says. They can go be stuck in a ditch overnight.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So far my friends in and around Denver are keeping me updated on Facebook. We are just starting to get roads properly covered in snow here(southwestern Nebraska panhandle). But the steady wind is like 30 mph and every few minutes there is a gust that sounds like a truck slamming into the side of the house.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jesus. My parents live in Amarillo, and apparently the city is basically cut off because overturned semis are blocking all outgoing highways at this point. Sustained winds of 40+mph and frequent gusts in the 70s and 80s. The airport has been shut down because the control tower has sustained wind damage.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The stuff out of Denver is nuts.

I have seen I think maybe one or two blizzards this bad in my life. I hope everyone is staying safe, at home, and inside.

Please don't drive no matter what you boss says. They can go be stuck in a ditch overnight.

It was pretty wild for Denver Metro. I stayed home and tried to work remote. A particularly nasty gust went through about 1130, took down two trees in the neighborhood and knocked out power, it was out until about 20 min ago. All in all, it wasn't too bad though, sounds like it was much worse on the east side of town.

That's the 2nd time in a year this neighborhood has seen 50-60 mph gusts though. Realizing I better buy a chainsaw and pay for a good arborist to come out and evaluate the trees in my yard.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/index.php?id=flood&sid=w__gmap

Useful resource for monitoring.

Edit: snapshot as of now
    6lkyh59n8qs2.png

Getting worse...

Today:

et6i1hjdwdvx.png

• Options
    Is that why DFW is under a flood threat? I thought it was just the light to moderate rainfall.

• Options
    Same system, but it’s weaker down here.

• Options
  • Options
    Friend of mine made and posted this. His town in northeastern Nebraska is basically under water from yesterday’s storm.

https://www.facebook.com/1095656477/posts/10217646839578208?sfns=mo

Hopefully you can see this? Pretty good quality drone footage.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Apparently the Spencer Dam breached in Nebraska? Pretty scary stuff. I'm guessing that's why that bridge from above is gone.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    That explains this, then.

USGS.06465500.94325.00065..20190312.20190314..0..pres.gif

To clarify, that's the river level just below that dam through time.

That reads to me like,

"We better release some water or this is going to go badly."
    "Oh shit stop releasing water there's a problem"
    "OH SHIT THE DAM BROKE"

VishNub on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    A disaster in the making that is not getting wide reporting: Tropical Cyclone Idai just made landfall by the port city of Beira in Mozambique, at the equivalent of Category 2 strength. The city has a population over 500,000 and has issues with land subsidence coupled with sea level rise. The cyclone already caused over 100 deaths even before landfall, just from flash flooding from the outer bands. It's only going to be getting worse from here too because Beira also happens to be where a major river meets the sea, so any flooding on the river is just going to wash down and extend the suffering in the city.

• Options

Counter counter point: Give me a week of 40-50 degree cloudy days so I don't end up taking a jetski to work.

Too late for that. Mass flooding in northeast wisconsin. I managed to find a path to get into work today but given the way the water levels looked I am uncertain at my ability to get back home tonight. House itself looks to be fine but kinda surrounded by flooded areas on three sides and likely the fourth as the water moves downstream. 56+ rain + heavy snow pack = jetski appropriate work vehicle.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The remnants of Idai are still going inland bringing heavy rains with them. Power is out in Beira and most communications are down. Coastal villages are cut off from the mainland due to the tidal surge - the cyclone just so happened to make landfall at high tide, because of course it did.

The total damage and destruction is still unknown, but four years ago Mozambique was affected by the formation of a tropical storm, which didn't even make landfall on the country, but brought heavy rainfall which killed over a hundred people and caused damage equivalent to 5% of the country's GDP. Idai's landfall is almost certain to be far worse.

This discussion has been closed.