As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural Disasters] Talk About Your Heavy Weather Here

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah. That basically matches what I'm hearing on the news here. Everything did that it was going to be fine.

It was very suddenly not fine.

It's going to be very very bad.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Well my flight to Korea on the 6th may have gotten more interesting

Lucky you it will only be a cat 1 by that time and weakening.

[im g]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/t1/q4ftyp1qtack.gif[/img]

@Phyphor - just fyi, the "Z" in these is UTC. So 06/18Z is 6pm UTC on the 6th, which is 3am local time on the 7th in Korea. So you'll want to judge where it'll be depending on where you land on the 6th. So depending on what time you're landing, it's possible the flight could be cancelled, and depending on how close you are to the outer band arrivals, you may want to familiarize yourself with how to get from the airport to your hotel ahead of time.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Well my flight to Korea on the 6th may have gotten more interesting

Lucky you it will only be a cat 1 by that time and weakening.

[im g]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/t1/q4ftyp1qtack.gif[/img]

Phyphor - just fyi, the "Z" in these is UTC. So 06/18Z is 6pm UTC on the 6th, which is 3am local time on the 7th in Korea. So you'll want to judge where it'll be depending on where you land on the 6th. So depending on what time you're landing, it's possible the flight could be cancelled, and depending on how close you are to the outer band arrivals, you may want to familiarize yourself with how to get from the airport to your hotel ahead of time.

I'm aware thanks, however I'm actually leaving on the 6th and would be arriving at about 07/07Z, which if that track holds puts that over the middle of the country. I'll be keeping an eye on that forecast this week!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Good news: those four scientists on Johnston Atoll were evacuated before Hurricane Walaka could lash the island. I can only hope the birds can get out of the way too. I don't know when the nesting season is and can only hope any young are old enough to fly too, because the entire island will probably be inundated.

Bad news: The death toll from the earthquake and tsunami in Indonesia continues to climb. Part of the deadliness was massive liquefaction and landslides from the earthquake itself, before the tsunami even hit.

_494bb9ea-c61b-11e8-b5ea-e5f20716953f.jpg

The toll will likely continue to rise, as some outlying villages are only now being reached.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    One thing largely overlooked in the Indonesian Disaster is the damage caused not by the tsunami or landslides, but by the intense soil liquefaction that took place in parts of Palu. In the gif below you can see just how destructive this was as entire neighborhoods succumbed to the effects which basically turned the normally stable dry land into "rivers of soil."

Lf96lrH.gif

Chimera on
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Good news: those four scientists on Johnston Atoll were evacuated before Hurricane Walaka could lash the island. I can only hope the birds can get out of the way too. I don't know when the nesting season is and can only hope any young are old enough to fly too, because the entire island will probably be inundated.

Bad news: The death toll from the earthquake and tsunami in Indonesia continues to climb. Part of the deadliness was massive liquefaction and landslides from the earthquake itself, before the tsunami even hit.
    _494bb9ea-c61b-11e8-b5ea-e5f20716953f.jpg

The toll will likely continue to rise, as some outlying villages are only now being reached.

We seem to have a like mind! I was typing up my post on liquefaction at the same time you were posting! Can you imagine being told your land, and home is not where you last left it and had instead flowed away a few miles?

Chimera on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Good lord. The sorts of things we get to look forward to if an earthquake of sufficient size hits...

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    God that gif is terrifying

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    And the really scary thing in most countries like that they probably is no availability to soil/earth maps to give you any idea you are even potentially in danger from something like that until one day the ground shakes and the ground beneath your house turns into slurry of doom.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    God that gif is terrifying

Having grown up on the edge of a river valley that was overdeveloped... Yeah. Yeaaaah.. the idea of hills becoming liquid sand is frightening as hell. It's one reason why vegetation is so important... and, well, houses don't exactly have roots.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
  • Options
    Long story short; If you live in northern Wisconsin today you need to watch the sky this afternoon and evening. While I personally think there is too much forcing and not enough cap up there to prevent rapid upscale growth, the hodographs for the area show the potential exists for large and dangerous tornadoes. If storms can stay even semi isolated today there will be at least a couple of large tornadoes in northern Wisconsin and maybe in far northwest Michigan.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That 'Presidential Alert' is gonna suck!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Long story short; If you live in northern Wisconsin today you need to watch the sky this afternoon and evening. While I personally think there is too much forcing and not enough cap up there to prevent rapid upscale growth, the hodographs for the area show the potential exists for large and dangerous tornadoes. If storms can stay even semi isolated today there will be at least a couple of large tornadoes in northern Wisconsin and maybe in far northwest Michigan.

I misread this as holographs and was suddenly very jealous of NOAA.

I really need to get my HAM technician's license and help out locally, like my dad before me. Honestly I'd like his callsign, but I don't think they allow that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

I really need to get my HAM technician's license and help out locally, like my dad before me. Honestly I'd like his callsign, but I don't think they allow that.

Yeah my dad had a cool whole other persona on the radio. Don’t know if I could pull it off, but I too am interested in doing the radio set up some day. Maybe in a few years I’ll make it a project to do with my kids like my dad with me.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

I'm in southern Wisconsin and feels exactly like a series of spring severe storm is waiting to burst out of no where. I have a feeling it is going to be a very eventful afternoon/evening.

Edit: very humid and warm with strong surface winds going west while everything above is moving rapidly east.

Veevee on
  • Options

Yup I am in green bay and the temp has shifted sharply and the humidity has gone way up. I fully expect the state to get hit by some nasty storms tonight as it gets closer to night fall. It really feels like its brewing up for something nasty out there when I went out for lunch.

• Options

Yeah they assign the calls based on the order they are given out and they always start with a K followed by an area designation for where you were when you got it. You could always try for a vanity call after you pass your test! Mine starts off as KF5 because I got it in Arkansas.

• Options

Yeah they assign the calls based on the order they are given out and they always start with a K followed by an area designation for where you were when you got it. You could always try for a vanity call after you pass your test! Mine starts off as KF5 because I got it in Arkansas.

Dad's starts with K9 and 5 digits, hence why I want it - they haven't handed out 5 digit radio call signs in a LOOOONG time.

• Options
    So looking at things in Wisconsin right now and this has a huge BUST written all over it for severe potential. There is still a serious cloud deck over the area of greatest threat which is hampering the amount of energy (from daytime heating) available to any storm that fires which may limit their ability to produce high-end severe weather. Combine that with the fact that there is a ton of forcing and little cap over the area you will likely see an explosion of thunderstorms fire across the threat area all at once and with a lack of CAPE from the lack of daytime heating updrafts will struggle to gain dominance and clear out other storms from around themselves leading to a severe weather event that will likely still produce a few reports but overall be a let down for chasers in the area. This is good news for those in the threat area. You will get storms but I doubt you will get nearly as severe of an event as has been advertised by some.

• Options
    I always get nervous when it goes from 50s to 70s in a short period of time and the humidity ramps up.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »
    I always get nervous when it goes from 50s to 70s in a short period of time and the humidity ramps up.

We call that "sunrise" in Oklahoma during the fall and spring.

• Options

Dad's starts with K9 and 5 digits, hence why I want it - they haven't handed out 5 digit radio call signs in a LOOOONG time.

Yeah mine is a 6 digit call. KF5###

• Options
  • Options
    Fall/Winter tornadoes are the worst. :(

• Options
    So looking at things in Wisconsin right now and this has a huge BUST written all over it for severe potential. There is still a serious cloud deck over the area of greatest threat which is hampering the amount of energy (from daytime heating) available to any storm that fires which may limit their ability to produce high-end severe weather. Combine that with the fact that there is a ton of forcing and little cap over the area you will likely see an explosion of thunderstorms fire across the threat area all at once and with a lack of CAPE from the lack of daytime heating updrafts will struggle to gain dominance and clear out other storms from around themselves leading to a severe weather event that will likely still produce a few reports but overall be a let down for chasers in the area. This is good news for those in the threat area. You will get storms but I doubt you will get nearly as severe of an event as has been advertised by some.

This tends to be the norm for severe weather in Wisconsin. It wants to act like the plains, but the hilly topography and heavily forested areas seems to stop storms from getting to their full potential.

• Options

It really did have the storm is coming feel at lunch time. It is pretty overcast so not sure if it will really spawn up any sever weather but some random scattered showers managed to dump 7 inches of rain on a small area of GB and flooded the hell out of my part of town so my spider senses are on full alert.

• Options
    edited October 2018

It really did have the storm is coming feel at lunch time. It is pretty overcast so not sure if it will really spawn up any sever weather but some random scattered showers managed to dump 7 inches of rain on a small area of GB and flooded the hell out of my part of town so my spider senses are on full alert.

It's clear skies in Madison and the air is still humid, but there is a strong northeasterly wind that feels even warmer than the surrounding air but much drier. Kind of like mini chinook winds.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »

This tends to be the norm for severe weather in Wisconsin. It wants to act like the plains, but the hilly topography and heavily forested areas seems to stop storms from getting to their full potential.

It actually has less to do with the trees and hilla than you think! This same set up with the same parameters would face the same issues of lack of daytime heating and too much forcing in Kansas. If trees and hills stopped severe weather from happening the southeast would be a lot safer place to live.

• Options
    Whelp the temp has jumped about 10 degrees since I went out for lunch and the wind is really gusting around now and the sun came out. We shall see soon enough if this gets the ball rolling to something nasty. The maps I am seeing seem to show the bad stuff probably is north and west of me though.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Florence update: the Waccamaw River at Conway in South Carolina today receded...to below the previous record level of the river. It's still in a major flood stage from rains from a hurricane that dissipated a full two weeks ago.

In flooding news from the rest of the world: Dubrovnik, Croatia (known to much of the world as "that city that's filmed as King's Landing in Game of Thrones") had record flooding and flash flooding after receiving more rain in five hours (259 mm = 10 in) than they had in the previous six months. The wild weather swings are happening worldwide.

• Options
    So I totes made the right call by not chasing today. Other than a few isolated storm reports today was a total bust. Yes, today's event is not yet over but I can say with confidence that we will not see any high-end severe weather tonight. My earlier concerns came to fruition and really kicked the teeth in on this system's potential which is great for those in Wisconsin.

n5sgvp9ttigx.gif

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    So I totes made the right call by not chasing today. Other than a few isolated storm reports today was a total bust. Yes, today's event is not yet over but I can say with confidence that we will not see any high-end severe weather tonight. My earlier concerns came to fruition and really kicked the teeth in on this system's potential which is great for those in Wisconsin.

n5sgvp9ttigx.gif

it'll give you more time to cut soda cans apart to make little propellers for your sensors

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

n5sgvp9ttigx.gif

it'll give you more time to cut soda cans apart to make little propellers for your sensors

I actually have one of those sensor balls from Twister that I got at the museum in Wakita! :D

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

You should be able to make claim to his callsign. You'll have to get the tech first, but you can apply for it after you have the license. Get with the local ham group and they should be able to help you out with that and possibly the test. One of the groups out here does a class for each.license level at least once a year.
    Also there is an app that's very useful. Ham test prep. It's a quiz app. Nothing too complicated.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options

n5sgvp9ttigx.gif

Last night was pretty weird we did not even get much rain but the wind was howling like crazy last night. I opened my window for a few minutes around midnight as it was getting stuffy and the wind was so strong my blinds went horizontal and I figured probably best to just shut the window again.

• Options
    I should note dad's alive, so I don't want to claim his callsign now. =P

@Chimera

Something I've always wondered about weather chasers - how much land do you cover? Last month I drove from central IL to Minneapolis/St. Paul, and it seemed to take FOREVER.. and yet I look at the great plains states or Wisconsin and I'm like.. Dang, that seems a lot of land to cover at 70mph.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

@Chimera

Something I've always wondered about weather chasers - how much land do you cover? Last month I drove from central IL to Minneapolis/St. Paul, and it seemed to take FOREVER.. and yet I look at the great plains states or Wisconsin and I'm like.. Dang, that seems a lot of land to cover at 70mph.

Ah, yeah dont do that now.
    But do get your license! The hobby needs younger people interested in it, especially for some of the emergency response services.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    edited October 2018

@Chimera

I have a map that shows everywhere I've been and most has been on chases! You can also see each hurricane and tornado I intercepted! :D

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d_Kk7diu0MeDwCe2RGFbTwLZqkA&usp=sharing

Chimera on
  • Options

Chimera

I have a map that shows everywhere I've been and most has been on chases! You can also see each hurricane and tornado I intercepted! :D

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d_Kk7diu0MeDwCe2RGFbTwLZqkA&usp=sharing

Heh. You weren't on I-94, which is good given its speed.

Still, though, how much range would you say you can cover in a day? Like.. if you were going to chase the storm in Wisconsin last night, what would be the radius where it would make sense to do so? (trying to phrase this in a way to not ask where you are now. :) )

This discussion has been closed.