As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural Disasters] Talk About Your Heavy Weather Here

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    They go with "Don't drown! Turn around!" around here which is a bit catchier. Because there's always somebody in a dualie that thinks that water over the road is no biggie.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

That’s two lakes up from Austin

When you open all your floodgates and it still does not look like it's going to be enough.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    What is causing all this rain/flooding? Just a ton of storms?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Yeah, we just keep getting hit by more and more storms. When it rains in Texas it tends to really come down hard, and when the ground gets saturated and then you get another big one...

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Yeah. As I said, this really isn't getting much attention because it's just rain. It's a thing here, of course, but without dramatic video or potential loss of life it flies under the radar.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    What is causing all this rain/flooding? Just a ton of storms?

It seems like there’s just been a front stalled over us for like a month plus, but I’m also curious about the meteorology/cause here.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    it's autumn storm season and that's always a bit dramatic though less electric than the springtime.

This year seems pretty fkin extra though.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The remnants of Hurricane Sergio crossing into Texas as basically a big region of atmospheric moisture at the early part of the month probably had a bit to do with it.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    This is super selfish, but I kind of want the Red River to go over the spillway at Texoma again. Fishing was soooooooo good.

I used to vacation at Lake Texoma as a child in the 80s. Really liked it out there.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    Yeah, we just keep getting hit by more and more storms. When it rains in Texas it tends to really come down hard, and when the ground gets saturated and then you get another big one...

Y'all need to get your shit together like California. We had the same problem. Built infrastructure and irrigated the dry parts of the state. I don't understand why Texas doesn't do this too.

• Options

Y'all need to get your shit together like California. We had the same problem. Built infrastructure and irrigated the dry parts of the state. I don't understand why Texas doesn't do this too.

They did.

7uxvhztrobk1.jpeg

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Ha!

Texas is very big on doing things their own way. Even if it's really fucking stupid and wrong.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

They did.

7uxvhztrobk1.jpeg

My dude, y'all have flooding like every other year. You need more storage. Also isn't Dallas just wet af naturally? It's next to Louisiana.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

They did.

7uxvhztrobk1.jpeg

My dude, y'all have flooding like every other year. You need more storage. Also isn't Dallas just wet af naturally? It's next to Louisiana.

I mean, Texas has literally 1 natural lake. Everything else is storage. It's not for lack of trying.

On a related note, central Kansas is also getting flooding. One of my friends showed a picture of the church where his brother is buried and you can't even see headstones.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

They did.

img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/dh/7uxvhztrobk1.jpeg[/img]

The flooding this year on the Llano was because of heavy rain over a short period in a headwater stream. You can't just dam your way out of that. The downstream flow has (so far) been successfully managed by the existing string of reservoirs. The Colorado through Austin is barely a river -- it's better described as a series of lakes that release into each other.

More broadly, there's so much development now that there's not really anywhere to put more reservoirs* without relocating a ton of people. Expanding existing lakes has the same problem, but worse, because everyone has built on valuable lake front property.

The long term solution is to not (re)build in floodplains, at least as much as possible.

I don't know what to do about Houston. It's a big city in a bad location, and that is only going to get worse with global warming.

*They're actually planning to construct another major reservoir NE of Dallas, IIRC.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

They did.

img]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/dh/7uxvhztrobk1.jpeg[/img]

The flooding this year on the Llano was because of heavy rain over a short period in a headwater stream. You can't just dam your way out of that. The downstream flow has (so far) been successfully managed by the existing string of reservoirs. The Colorado through Austin is barely a river -- it's better described as a series of lakes that release into each other.

More broadly, there's so much development now that there's not really anywhere to put more reservoirs* without relocating a ton of people. Expanding existing lakes has the same problem, but worse, because everyone has built on valuable lake front property.

The long term solution is to not (re)build in floodplains, at least as much as possible.

I don't know what to do about Houston. It's a big city in a bad location, and that is only going to get worse with global warming.

*They're actually planning to construct another major reservoir NE of Dallas, IIRC.

I live in Dallas and this is the first i have heard of it.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/02/28/bois-darc-creek-reservoir-become-texas-first-new-major-reservoir-20-ye/

From the article it sounds like its not even to alleviate any of the flooding issues or of any real help at all.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Still no power, got another week of that at least unfortunately. We did get some water flow today at about 20 PSI, can't use it for much but it's something. The brightest spot is brother in law works for a condo and we are able to stay for the night at one and do laundry and take a shower for the first time in a week. I might cry.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

When you open all your floodgates and it still does not look like it's going to be enough.

Yeah, LBJ/Kingsland is where my dad lives. His house was in the water pretty much all day yesterday, but it's receded today, so he was going to try and get there this afternoon. Haven't heard from him about the condition of the house, but the AT&T tower that serves Kingsland also went down, so assuming he has no power and no cell service, that's not surprising.

I'm headed there tomorrow morning to help with the cleanup. I'll take some pictures I'm sure.

• Options
    jimb213 wrote: »
    kaid wrote: »

Yeah, LBJ/Kingsland is where my dad lives. His house was in the water pretty much all day yesterday, but it's receded today, so he was going to try and get there this afternoon. Haven't heard from him about the condition of the house, but the AT&T tower that serves Kingsland also went down, so assuming he has no power and no cell service, that's not surprising.

I'm headed there tomorrow morning to help with the cleanup. I'll take some pictures I'm sure.

Good luck.

• Options

• Options
    edited October 2018
    bwm3j2n9zhfi.jpg
    gtaybjjs2cfe.jpg

Our boat house, and an indicator of the high water line. The light switch is at a pretty normal height, so the water was maybe a little over 5' inside. The mud inside was slippery AF.

jimb213 on
  • Options
    The east Pacific is trying to go through all the letters. V (Tropical Storm Vicente) and W (Hurricane Willa) are active right now. Both are likely to cause flooding in Mexico when they make landfall, but Willa is also rapidly intensifying and is likely to get to Category 3 if not 4 before then (Willa just formed yesterday and is already Category 2). Current model tracks have the remnants possibly causing even more rain in south Texas and then possibly crossing over into the Gulf of Mexico.

As a reminder: hurricane season does not officially end until November 30th. We might be past the peak but we could still have more bad ones coming.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular

Uh, California almost went under water just two years ago, and that was after a decade of drought with every resevoir low and the soil nice and dry. There's only so much you can engineer for and if enough water wants to sit in one place and dump eventually there's gonna be nowhere.

Which is not to say that Texas shoudn't continue to work on their flooding infrastructure and maybe not develop in flood plains. But the California water system is possibly the most expensive an expansive civil engineering project in human history, yet if a sizable system of storms come through and fill the rivers around Sacramento in late winter and are also warm enough to melt the snows in the Sierra's the shit's going under water no matter how much they've spent on upgrades in the past 50 years. But by the good fortune of weather patterns has it not happened yet.

• Options
    Willa is a high end category 4 now and heading for the Mexican coast tomorrow. Willa is crossing a similar track to that of Patricia a few years ago.

And further west in the Pacific, Yutu is a new tropical storm that is predicted to become a super typhoon in a few days.

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    https://www.statesman.com/news/20181022/austin-ordered-to-boil-water-flood-silt-stalls-treatment

Due to the flooding in the area, the city of Austin has ordered residents to boil water before using until further notice.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I hope that order wasn't purposefully delayed due to F1 being there over the weekend. The timing of that order just seems too convenient.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    I am a tad busy but will do a write up on Willa later today. Here's a quick bullet of the facts:
    • Hurricane Willa is currently a CAT 5 hurricane with sustained winds of 160 mph.
    • Microwave imaging of Willa shows it is on the verge of an eyewall replacement cycle. Once this begins it will weaken some but likely become larger and annular.
    • Willa is due to make landfall in a largely rural area near the town of Escuinapa or between Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico tomorrow during the late afternoon hours. The remoteness of this area combined with it being in Sinola is why I am not chasing this storm.
    • Mountainous coastal terrain will cause Willa to quickly weaken once it has made landfall. Upslope on the windward (wind-facing side) of the mountains will cause rain rates to be higher than is normally capable with a storm of this size.
    • Willa will likely make landfall as a CAT 4 storm with sustained winds between 140 and 155 mph (equal to Hurricane Harvey or Michael) but uncertainties regarding the effects of downslope dry air from the leeward(the side facing away from the wind) and colder water temps near the coast, as well as the timing of an eyewall replacement cycle, make it hard to pin down intensity at landfall.
    • Willa is unusually strong for a storm this late in the season.
    • The remnants of Willa will go on to move out over the Gulf of Mexico and the Southeast US before then riding up the East Coast where it will likely become our first serious Nor'Easter of the season.
    • Willa will bring extreme, and possibly record storm surge to the areas south of its landfall.
    • In its wake there is the chance that Tropical Storm Vicente will pass over the same area one day later as a depression and will further enhance the threat of inland flooding and landslides.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Chim, what's the reason ol' little NZ doesn't get typhoons on the regular? Water to cold?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Pretty awesome to watch Willa go from nothing to category 5 in 48 hours.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I don't like the zero to cat 5 trend in just days trend of this season.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Obey Hypnotoadtyphoon

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I don't like the zero to cat 5 trend in just days trend of this season.

Its not going to change much going forward

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »

Like I get that it's worrying and stuff but

How fucking cool is that.

• Options

Like I get that it's worrying and stuff but

How fucking cool is that.

Like totes fucking cool! I've been in two rapidly intensifying hurricanes at landfall and they are so much more intense and crazy to experience.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Chim, what's the reason ol' little NZ doesn't get typhoons on the regular? Water to cold?

Not 100% certain, but I think it has a lot to do with the prevailing direction things travel, and where the storms tend to get formed.

https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/hurricanes/en/

cyclone_map_thumb.en.jpg

For whatever reason, tropical storms aren't formed in the south pacific. Googling around seems to be implying the following:

Storms rarely form within 5 degrees of the equator due to the relative weakness of the corolois force, so winds don't rotate around the low pressure system as easily. This also appears to be part of the reason storms rarely cross the equator.

And looking at a temperature map, it looks like it's probably mostly due to that: the places in the pacific where it's warm enough to consistently generate them is basically due north of New Zealand.

sst.daily_0.gif

So while they do get the occasional storms which hit them, it's less common. As the oceans continue warming, I'd expect it to get more common.

• Options
    Megafrost wrote: »
    https://www.statesman.com/news/20181022/austin-ordered-to-boil-water-flood-silt-stalls-treatment

Due to the flooding in the area, the city of Austin has ordered residents to boil water before using until further notice.

Yeah, shit's just kinda weird around here. There was also another notice this afternoon to basically stop using water, period, so the water system can keep up with purification issues. We may actually run out of clean water...

https://www.statesman.com/news/20181022/breaking-austin-still-using-too-much-water-officials-say

• Options
    The very muddy/dirty water in ATX is harder to filter/clean than normal, so the plants have decreased capacity until it clears.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Fuck off Willa I don't need no nor'easter this early in the goddamn season

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=f3ofAJSqpLM

Someone managed to have a GoPro survive the storm (Michael) while running.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    [*] Willa is unusually strong for a storm this late in the season.

Didn't Patricia (which was even more ludicrously strong) form and explosively intensify about this time of the season in about the same place as Willa? I'm just kinda wondering if that particular patch of ocean just gets perfect for rapid intensification right about now.

This discussion has been closed.