As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam : Monster Boy, Just Cause 4, Mutant Year Zero & Override out today!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Now, shittily managed in other ways...

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    That sucks but also isnt super surprising

They expanded like crazy after TWD was a smash hit and TWAU did really well too

Then they gradually lost prominence and sales and welp

Just shitty management to expand so quickly and now folks are out of a job

Not shitty management necessarily. They were venture funded and the money was attached to pretty extreme growth and profitability goals. Startups kind of have to take the deal they can get.

The good news is that those VCs probably made a killing.

There were people who moved cross-country to start work at Telltale Games on Monday. They were fired without warning or severance pay Friday.

That's shitty management.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I feel like taking VC money based on extreme growth and profitability goals is bad business management.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Apparently Shadow of the Tomb Raider launched with a Post Credits scene that was removed with a Day One patch so most players didnt see it

A player that didnt patch their game played through it, though, and stumbled upon it and posted on the game's forums wondering why no one was talking about it. They then played through the game again and recorded it as proof.

The scene involved
    Lara receiving a letter from Jacqueline Natla, the main villain from the original TR games.

What a weird thing to remove right at release

Very curious. At first blush I'd say this suggest somebody had a plan for the next game that Squeenix decided they don't want to pursue after all.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Apparently Shadow of the Tomb Raider launched with a Post Credits scene that was removed with a Day One patch so most players didnt see it

A player that didnt patch their game played through it, though, and stumbled upon it and posted on the game's forums wondering why no one was talking about it. They then played through the game again and recorded it as proof.

The scene involved
    Lara receiving a letter from Jacqueline Natla, the main villain from the original TR games.

What a weird thing to remove right at release

maybe it was intended to be used after the credits in some future dlc or expansion? Along the lines of Croft Manor in Rise.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I wonder if all the IP's they loaded up on were just there to lure in VC investments.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Like I imagine, going into a pitch meeting with "We've partnered with HBO to make the exclusive game for their hit series, Game of Thrones" sounds a whole lot more like a sure bet then, "Our next game will be a story about castles and dragons!"

Which is all well and good for a short-term boost of cash, but for the long-term health of the company they probably needed to have their own IP. Like when Bioware made the pivot away from just making more D&D and Star Wars games, and instead made their own fantasy and sci-fi brands.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that being connected to Borderlands actually hurt their sales. I couldn't count the number of times I'd heard somebody write that one off just because of the tone and writing from the main Gearbox games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    shame, because Tales from the Borderlands is really really good

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I really don't think it was anymore than trying to assembly line the success of the Walking Dead.

Take a popular IP and slap it into the Telltale engine.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    You would think they would probably realize that wasn't a great idea when neither their Jurassic Park game nor their Back to the Future game did very well.

Then again, they probably figured Game of Thrones was a current hot property instead of an old nostalgia based one so it would be different.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    You would think they would probably realize that wasn't a great idea when neither their Jurassic Park game nor their Back to the Future game did very well.

Then again, they probably figured Game of Thrones was a current hot property instead of an old nostalgia based one so it would be different.

Jurassic Park and Back to the Future were pre-Walking dead. They were also a weird QTE game and a traditional adventure game. Walking Dead is where they made their pivot into the narrative games with slight adventure elements.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Mass Effect is still a fun game. Better once you get some Colossus armor and can just stand in the open instead of having to rely on the slow-ass terrible cover mechanics.

Think i'll move onto Crosscode next.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    or have barrier

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I had both! Took barrier as my bonus perk from my other playthroughs.

• Options
    I've played ME1 too many times

I actively hate its combat

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    ME1 let me power trip way harder with biotics than the sequels because pretty much nothing had immunity to getting floated, which was fun

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    ME1 let me go power trip way harder with biotics than the sequels because pretty much nothing had immunity to getting floated, which was fun

It never got old to watch someone walk up and threaten me, and then me immediately lift them in combat.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Crosscode is a good game y'all

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Oh the combat is bad don't get me wrong. It's just once there's no difficulty I can just be running around with Wrex and Garrus blowing up idiots and there's no better way to spend my time.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I just realized something, and y'all feel free to check my math but.. does this year seem extremly light for first person shooters?

Like there's only 3 or 4 big name ones I can think of, and a handful of smaller ones like City of Brass or that PS4 vr game.

Granted Far Cry, Call of Duty and Battlefield are huge games, but it doesn't feel like shooters are nearly as common as they used to be.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I just realized something, and y'all feel free to check my math but.. does this year seem extremly light for first person shooters?

Like there's only 3 or 4 big name ones I can think of, and a handful of smaller ones like City of Brass or that PS4 vr game.

Granted Far Cry, Call of Duty and Battlefield are huge games, but it doesn't feel like shooters are nearly as common as they used to be.

I'm not sure there are significantly fewer than last year. I tried searching for FPS'es on Steam and there are a lot of games I've never heard about.

I guess last console generation there was a bunch of licensed games that were almost all shooters.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Gotta chase that third person battle royale shooter money

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    ME1 let me go power trip way harder with biotics than the sequels because pretty much nothing had immunity to getting floated, which was fun

It never got old to watch someone walk up and threaten me, and then me immediately lift them in combat.

I'm having similar fun with Skyrim right now and fully leveled Fus Ro Dah.

Bandit comes running up to me, "Can't wait to count out your coi-" I'm sorry I can't hear you from all the way over the other side of this camp.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yep, my current playthrough of Fallout 4 I've gone sneaky sniper, and I'm popping skulls like water balloons from a quarter of a mile away with my rifle named "Long Distance Collect Call". All of the AP (woo 10 agility + Action Girl), high perception, and having three banked crits and fully levelled grim reapers sprint means nobody ever gets closer than an eighth of a mile away unless I'm inside a building.

• Options
    Started up Shadowrun Dragonfall

can someone give me a real quick and dirty of the shadowrun setting? Like, magic and other races just started at some point in the modern era or something right?

Steam ID
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yeah, and then corporations were exempted from the law.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Also Dragons are pulling the strings on everything.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    What if William Gibson but elves?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Playing some more final fantasy 12 and I am moving steadily towards hating the gambit system

It feels like its too clunky for you to ever be clever with it so the best you can do is come up with a broad enough set of commands to muddle through most fights and then if you run into a problem you have to crudely patch your code so they don't all die

Like I have Vaan set so his highest priority is to steal from an enemy with >90% health, and I have everybody else set up to target Vaans target so he gets in one or two steal attempts on every monster in a group before moving on to attacking them, which worked great until some random cats had too much armor/dodge for Balthier to really damage them and they hit so hard my healers were constantly patching people up so they never hit 90% so vaan never stopped stealing and some rando jungle dogs almost killed me

Or one time on a hunt the monster managed to kill basch so leader jumped to my healer, and she brought him back to life but then Fraan was sitting there staring at me for like a minute before I realized her only attack commands were based on elemental weakness and hitting the Leaders target but hunt wasnt weak to fraans magic and my current party lead was only targeting allies to heal them so she stood there like a dope until I went in and changed her gambits

The license board is also a very annoying system because if I find a cool upgrade I have to hunt down its stupid license first and while its neat that it theoretically lets me quasi prioritize what stuff I want to boost first the end result is a lot of annoyance and a very marginal amount of character customization

I still like the game though? I feel like I shouldnt since I dislike the game's two major systems but I'm still having fun so I guess it works

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Crosscode is great but all this clicking is going to give me an RSI.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Can anyone with Neverwinter Nights 1 help me out? I've got the Diamond edition from GoG and I'm trying to run it in Window size but whenever I adjust the .ini file to put Fullscreen at 0, it runs the game as a background process which forces me to shut it down via the task manager.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Tales from the borderlands was so good and fun

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Tales from the Borderlands was one of those rare games that my wife and I equally loved

We had to play it in shifts to avoid spoilers

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Can anyone with Neverwinter Nights 1 help me out? I've got the Diamond edition from GoG and I'm trying to run it in Window size but whenever I adjust the .ini file to put Fullscreen at 0, it runs the game as a background process which forces me to shut it down via the task manager.

Try running it in Admin mode? I always had Diamond edition in a window, but it's been years since I actually changed it, and I run EE in fullscreen

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Shadowrun Dragonfall just had a pretty big spike in difficulty, think I'm going to drop this from hard to normal

edit: This MKVI mission has been a total momentum killer and I am not enjoying it

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Shadowrun Dragonfall just had a pretty big spike in difficulty, think I'm going to drop this from hard to normal

edit: This MKVI mission has been a total momentum killer and I am not enjoying it

Yeah that mission is like 10 combat encounters in a row, mostly unavoidable.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Anyone heard anything about Pathfinder: Kingmaker? It comes out tomorrow, and I feel like I know basically nothing about it

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Anyone heard anything about Pathfinder: Kingmaker? It comes out tomorrow, and I feel like I know basically nothing about it

I backed it and looking forward to it. I haven't done much looking into it though.

The two main points are

1. This is supposed to be a Baldurs Gate / Pillars of Eternity escue combat situation. It's also pretty faithful the Pathfinder RPG. Which means it's pretty crunchy. Skill points, feats, carry capacity, multiclassing.

2. The game is based on an Adventure Path, that takes you all the way from level 1 to level 20. The short version of it is that a large nation has a big backwater that is an eternal pain in the ass and you get the chance to build up your own Kingdom in that area as part of the story. In the adventure path this was fairly straightforward, don't know if they fleshed this out.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I'm willing to put up with tactical rpg gameplay if I get some kingdom building along with.

This discussion has been closed.