As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam : Monster Boy, Just Cause 4, Mutant Year Zero & Override out today!

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
edited December 2018 in Social Entropy++
Some September and October releases!

Planet Alpha - September 4th

Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner – Mars - September 4th

Dragon Quest XI September 4th

Frozen Synapse 2 - September 13

Megaquarium - September 13

Super Lucky's Tale - September 13

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - September 14, 2018

Speed Brawl - September 18th

The Gardens Between - September 20th

Cross Code - September 20th

Star Control Origins - September 20th

Timespinner - September 25th

Wandersong - September 27th

Life is Strange 2 - September 27th

Jagged Alliance : Rage! September 27th

Forza Horizon 4 - October 2nd

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey - October 2nd

Achtung! Cthulhu Tactics - October 4th

Spacehulk Tactics - October 9th

The Light Keeps Us Safe (Early Access) - October 11th

Jackbox 5 - October 17th

RimWorld - October 17th

Bad NOrth

Soul Calibur VI - October 18th

Kingdom Rush Origins - October 18th

Return of the Oubra Din - October 18th

Reigns: Game of Thrones - October 18th

Disgaea 5 Complete - October 22nd

Thronebreaker: Witcher tales - October 23rd

Lethal League Blaze - October 24th

The Colonists - October 24th

Party Hard 2 - October 25th

Underworld Ascendant - November 15th

Brolo on

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Yeah, RPGs is one of those things where the essence of the thing is easy to grok, but hard to express.

I wanted to say "Ha, you puny non-mathematicians! Defining RPGs is easy! It's a game where you have to make choices about the way one or more unique-able character is defined (ie stats) and how one or more characters behaves." But then I had to write the word "unique-able" and felt like giving up, so now I understand your grief.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I tend to fall into the "(nearly) every game is an RPG" camp. Fighting games might be the only type excluded.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    oh no

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Worth noting with the release of CrossCode is that unlike many other games, it has a demo! You can go download that on steam and see if you want it RIGHT NOW! WOW!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Yeah, RPGs is one of those things where the essence of the thing is easy to grok, but hard to express.

I wanted to say "Ha, you puny non-mathematicians! Defining RPGs is easy! It's a game where you have to make choices about the way one or more unique-able character is defined (ie stats) and how one or more characters behaves." But then I had to write the word "unique-able" and felt like giving up, so now I understand your grief.

alright, so here's my question: is Colossal Cave Adventure an RPG?

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I wonder how many Space Hulk games they're going to release before they give up

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ok, my first scenario is live, if we have any coaster players I'd love some feedback on the objectives and stuff, want it easy but unsure if made it too easy?

The Princess's Birthday

The Princess's one birthday wish was to open her playroom to the public, and turn it into a thriving park for her subjects.
    tf0kyh9qwdqh.jpg

workshop link

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ3Se3agK1E
    A washed-up private investigator koala is searching for his kidnapped girlfriend in Stone, a new “hip-hop stoner noir” story-o-adventure game released today. What’s hip-hop stoner noir when it’s at home? Well, the koala looks not wholly unlike The Dude out The Big Lebowski, so there’s a big hint. Off you go, exploring an open-world town, chatting to the animalfolks, and getting your deadbeat arse into a whole lot of trouble. It also seems a good opportunity to brush up on the sort of Australian slang you won’t learn from Neighbours or Home And Away.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/09/21/stone-koala-noir-game-released/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/907770/STONE/

edit:

Brolo on
  • Options
  • Options
    fucking what in the hell

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The article is based on unlinked social media posts and is speculating closure or layoffs

Shit is probably not good but its mega click-baity

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Gah, old story being linked - this is more up to date:
    Telltale Games, creators of episodic adventure games like The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, and Batman: The Enemy Within, laid off a large number of its staff today. The company will retain a small team of around 25.

The final season of Telltale’s award-winning series, The Walking Dead, kicked off last month. The second episode is slated to launch next week.
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/21/17888162/telltale-games-layoffs-the-walking-dead

Brolo on
  • Options
    That sucks but also isnt super surprising

They expanded like crazy after TWD was a smash hit and TWAU did really well too

Then they gradually lost prominence and sales and welp

Just shitty management to expand so quickly and now folks are out of a job

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Ok, my first scenario is live, if we have any coaster players I'd love some feedback on the objectives and stuff, want it easy but unsure if made it too easy?

The Princess's Birthday

The Princess's one birthday wish was to open her playroom to the public, and turn it into a thriving park for her subjects.
    tf0kyh9qwdqh.jpg

workshop link

Does this need dlc?

I loved the scenarios in roller coaster tycoon but planet felt a bit off but I havent touched it in a while

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Sounding like The Wolf Among Us 2 and the Stranger Things game are also most likely getting cancelled.

I also saw a really hot take that is spoiled for being insensitive to people losing their jobs

• Options

The Princess's Birthday

tf0kyh9qwdqh.jpg

workshop link

Does this need dlc?

I loved the scenarios in roller coaster tycoon but planet felt a bit off but I havent touched it in a while

It contains studio, adventure and spooky pieces. No vintage pack stuff tho

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Sounding like The Wolf Among Us 2 and the Stranger Things game are also most likely getting cancelled.

I also saw a really hot take that is spoiled for being insensitive to people losing their jobs

Just FYI, the Woke Gamer is a parody account.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Thetheroo wrote: »

Just FYI, the Woke Gamer is a parody account.

Also, they have updated it. I just finished up Batman season 2 and it ran so much better than the first one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    did they update their writing

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm trying to get back into rollercoaster tycoon, but I'm drawing blanks on ride ideas

like, I'm having an unusually bad time of it

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Rollercoaster Tycoon never worked for me because designing rollercoasters is of no interest to me I just want to design a park that works. Theme Park basically hit me squarely in the right spot and anything other than a bug free recreation of it doesn't work for me. It has to have a stock market.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    wait shit not rollercoaster tycoon I meant Planet Coaster

whoooooooooooooooops

weird how I defaulted like that

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    We previously reported that a skeleton crew will remain behind to complete work on The Walking Dead Final Season. That information was inaccurate. Sources who wishes to remain anonymous explained that there is a skeleton crew at Telltale, but they will be working on the Minecraft Story Mode project for Netflix. In fact, The Walking Dead team was also laid off today and The Walking Dead Final Season will not be completed.

Well, shit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usgamer.net/amp/report-telltale-games-shutting-down-the-wolf-among-us-2-and-stranger-things-canceled

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Well fuck.

When the Minecraft stuff came out, I thought, "I bet that makes them a lot more profit than their other series. Hope they don't have to kill them off to keep that going."

And while I imagined it probably would go that way eventually, I never thought they'd kill one mid-season.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hey these guys are real litigious and known to read these forums so please be guarded in your statements.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    We previously reported that a skeleton crew will remain behind to complete work on The Walking Dead Final Season. That information was inaccurate. Sources who wishes to remain anonymous explained that there is a skeleton crew at Telltale, but they will be working on the Minecraft Story Mode project for Netflix. In fact, The Walking Dead team was also laid off today and The Walking Dead Final Season will not be completed.

Well, shit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usgamer.net/amp/report-telltale-games-shutting-down-the-wolf-among-us-2-and-stranger-things-canceled

I wonder how refunds and the like might work with that? I doubt any company honors them but shit, that's fucking bananas. Also that they kept on a skeleton crew for the Minecraft thing makes me wonder if they felt legally they couldn't just nuke that from orbit as well.

• Options
    It doesnt fix the underlying problems with the video game industry that is now hurting those fired from Telltale

But Ubisoft's San Francisco office is holding an open lunch on Monday for anyone affected by the layoffs to potentially get hired at their offices, with Ubisoft footing the bill for food and drinks even if they don't move forward with anything job-wise

Which is pretty rad of them

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Minecraft actually makes them money.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Man, I am pretty bad at Frozen Synapse. Slowly getting better.

But unlike a lot of games, I am having a lot of fun flailing and failing and learning this one.

It's neat!

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Distance is real dope in its later levels. really hard, but god is has an amazing aesthetic and soundtrack, and some of the arcade races are absolutely dope as hell

• Options
    Doobh wrote: »
    wait shit not rollercoaster tycoon I meant Planet Coaster

whoooooooooooooooops

weird how I defaulted like that

I'm hoping to upgrade my computer soon, and once I do I'm gonna stream like teaching streams for coaster because it's learning curve is astounding, but it's soooo worth climbing, and much easier with someone showing way.
    (Taught a lot of streamers lately one on one, learnt the reason most weren't building is they didn't know how and now I'm creating addicts all over heh)

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Ace Attorney Trilogy coming to Steam, PS4, XB1, and Switch

https://youtu.be/PnYpTj_aUoA

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    hey, cool. I've always been mildly intrigued by that series. Might have to give it a look.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm 90 minutes into CrossCode, and it's a real treat so far.

"Action RPG" doesn't really do it justice... it's more like a "Twin Stick Shooter RPG" with a lot of environmental puzzles.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I'm glad that the new ace attorney trilogy actually seems to be using full quality character art

the iphone version looked like it took the gameboy advancr sprites and just abused the smudge tool until the pixels went away

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Hey these guys are real litigious and known to read these forums so please be guarded in your statements.

Your face is really litigious

Ah I'm just fuckin with you.

In all seriousness, I've never thought about this. Thanks for the heads up

• Options
    Apparently Shadow of the Tomb Raider launched with a Post Credits scene that was removed with a Day One patch so most players didnt see it

A player that didnt patch their game played through it, though, and stumbled upon it and posted on the game's forums wondering why no one was talking about it. They then played through the game again and recorded it as proof.

The scene involved
    Lara receiving a letter from Jacqueline Natla, the main villain from the original TR games.

What a weird thing to remove right at release

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    That sucks but also isnt super surprising

They expanded like crazy after TWD was a smash hit and TWAU did really well too

Then they gradually lost prominence and sales and welp

Just shitty management to expand so quickly and now folks are out of a job

Not shitty management necessarily. They were venture funded and the money was attached to pretty extreme growth and profitability goals. Startups kind of have to take the deal they can get.

The good news is that those VCs probably made a killing.

This discussion has been closed.