As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Are the PAL games really that bad? My PS1 Classic is waiting for me at Best Buy.

The dude in that video above made the same observation of them that I saw watching his video. In a vacuum you will probably just write it off as the game being old and not noticing much. But if you have the original NTSC version and play them about the same time you'll notice the difference.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It just depends if 50Hz really matters. I still enjoy Red Dwarf.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The thing is that the ps1c displays the game in 60hz, so it gets a lot of judder and very wonky because 50hz doesn't line up with 60hz.

It's a very bad looking and running way of playing PS1 games, that doesn't really deserve to be rewarded with a purchase.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Remember those tiny little Arcade Classics Walmart's been putting out? They've quietly gotten up to 12 of them, including a Fix-It-Felix Jr. (the faux-classic game from Wreck-It-Ralph).
    I get that the point of those things is to have the cute little plastic cabinet thing sitting around, but man, those games are not worth (individually) $15-$20 to play.

Yeah, I'm not paying that much to play those games on that small of a screen.

Judging by my local walmart, people aren't paying $300 to play a few classic arcade games on the full-size units they have now, either. Well, half-size or whatever they are. They look cool but $300 for at best 5 games per unit? Ridiculous.

I never had a Playstation but judging from the reactions to the PS Classic it would be better to just get copies of the PS1 games and play them on my wife's PS2.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Remember those tiny little Arcade Classics Walmart's been putting out? They've quietly gotten up to 12 of them, including a Fix-It-Felix Jr. (the faux-classic game from Wreck-It-Ralph).
    I get that the point of those things is to have the cute little plastic cabinet thing sitting around, but man, those games are not worth (individually) $15-$20 to play.

Judging by my local walmart, people aren't paying $300 to play a few classic arcade games on the full-size units they have now, either. Well, half-size or whatever they are. They look cool but $300 for at best 5 games per unit? Ridiculous.

I never had a Playstation but judging from the reactions to the PS Classic it would be better to just get copies of the PS1 games and play them on my wife's PS2.

or on a ps3, or on a psp, or on a Vita, or PS TV, or the pc/xbox/nintendo ports... there are so many better ways to play PS1 games legally.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It just depends if 50Hz really matters. I still enjoy Red Dwarf.

Red Dwarf was originally created and meant to be played back at 50Hz.

Tekken 3 was not.

It's not so much that it's running at 50Hz (despite the juddering issue) as it is that it's running 17% slower than originally intended.

• Options
    I have seen juddering in Red Dwarf.

• Options
    edited December 2018

or on a ps3, or on a psp, or on a Vita, or PS TV, or the pc/xbox/nintendo ports... there are so many better ways to play PS1 games legally.

Yep, that's why I said that it probably would be fine in a vacuum. His video helped me feel better about cancelling my pre-order of the unit. I'll probably pick one up later for cheaper once the hype dies down just to have a nifty looking mini ps classic.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I wonder if the UK PS Classic will actually support 50Hz output for those games that use it.

I'm guessing not.

(Our TVs and major consoles with media functions still support it for legacy reasons even though everything new has switched to 60Hz, or 24Hz when playing a standard Blu-ray. Like, I pop a PAL spec Red Dwarf DVD in my Xbox One and the console and the TV automatically switch to 50Hz mode for it, so no juddering from mismatched frames.)

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Yeah. Considering the age of the games, the arcade machines are kind of dumb. If they had hundreds of ROMs, it would be cool.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

If you can't get the original games, the vita imo is hands down a great way to play it. I have so many awesome ps1 jrpgs on there. It's basically my ps1 portable at this point. It even has some ps1 imports you can buy for it that we never got in the US.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Jazz wrote: »
    It's not so much that it's running at 50Hz (despite the juddering issue) as it is that it's running 17% slower than originally intended.

Yeah a lot of PAL conversions were just straight up lazy. Something like Sonic 2 is more how you do it, rescale the game speed for 50 hz. Instead of even the music slowing down in Sonic 1.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Yeah. Considering the age of the games, the arcade machines are kind of dumb. If they had hundreds of ROMs, it would be cool.

Indeed they are.

6ydf0dfixvir.png
    Okay, there were less than 200 Neo Geo games, and you could only put a handful in an MVS at once, but if you had the back open, and a big enough box next to it...

• Options
    https://youtu.be/oOogwcuppgM

He has some good suggestions. I already have most of what he recommended.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Someone found a way to get into the PS Classic's emulator settings!
    https://youtu.be/yNtAUwz8fqw

It's really complicated to do!
    It's not. You connect a USB keyboard and his Esc while in a game.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

Oh good grief, that's hilarious :lol:

• Options

Update: Multiple other people in the Discord channel I'm in are reporting this isn't working for them. *shrug*

• Options

Update: Multiple other people in the Discord channel I'm in are reporting this isn't working for them. *shrug*

Maybe you have to plug it into port 2 so that Psycho Mantis can't see you're doing it.

• Options

Maybe you have to plug it into port 2 so that Psycho Mantis can't see you're doing it.

One guy in chat just said he went through 5 keyboards before his brother handed him a G.Skill mechanical keyboard that worked.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

Have the arcade machines been hacked yet?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Still no NEO Turf Masters on the NeoGeo Mini? pass.

Wouldn't you need a trackball?

I think you're thinking of golden tee... Neo Turf is an AVS/MVS game.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

LMAO that shit is funny.

• Options
    I have a PlayStation Classic and I don't know what to do. Return it?

• Options
    either return it or wait for the hackers to make it a little less bad :D

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Supposedly the games pre-loaded onto the PlayStation Mini take up half the available space, so FYI.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I have a PlayStation Classic and I don't know what to do. Return it?

Return it and get a vita and load that up with PS1 games that you might actually want to play.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I'm actually surprised they even put 16GB of storage on it, compared to the other minis. I guess maybe 8GB wasn't going to be enough.

• Options
    Initial analysis from some of the people cracking open the PS Classic seems to indicate that a simple "connect the PS Classic to the PC" option might not be possible, and that a physical mod may be required for hacking/modding. :( But, of course, things are still quite early!

• Options
    Boo hiss!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Feeling really glad I cancelled my preorder now. Can't belive Sony screwed this up. Glad those early reviews came out. I think I'd be pretty unhappy with spending $100 on this thing.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Wait what? They removed any way to connect it to the PC but left in the boot menu by connecting a keyboard and pressing esc...?

How half assed is this thing anyway?

• Options
    it's barely quarter-assed

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Despite those initial reports, don't count anything out yet. I see a lot of people in the community I'm in refer to this tweet from Gamespot's Peter Brown from 2 years ago:

We'll see!

Edit: Also interesting, Sony Music Entertainment did a DMCA takedown on this guy taking apart and poking around on the Playstation Classic. He's someone from the hakchi community and seems confused about the takedown because he says there was no music in it whatsoever. I did watch a little bit of it before it got the takedown and didn't notice any music, but I wasn't about to watch an hour and a half of stuff that I didn't have the capacity to understand. :)

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    From IGN:
    PLAYSTATION CLASSIC DATAMINE SEEMS TO REVEAL 36 REJECTED GAMES
    • Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
    • Colin McRae Rally
    • Crash Bandicoot
    • Crash 2
    • Toy Story 2
    • Driver
    • Ehrgeiz
    • Fighting Force
    • Gran Turismo
    • GTA 2
    • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
    • Kagero
    • Klonoa
    • Kula World
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    • Medal of Honor
    • MediEvil
    • Mega Man Legends
    • Mr. Driller G
    • Paca Paca Passion
    • PaRappa the Rapper
    • Parasite Eve
    • RayStorm
    • Ridge Racer
    • Silent Hill
    • Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol
    • Street Fighter Alpha 3
    • Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
    • Suikoden
    • Tomb Raider
    • Tomb Raider 2
    • Tomba
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    • Vagrant Story
    • Wild Arms 2
    • Xevious 3D/G+

There's speculation in the article that these games are still on the system, but I find this highly unlikely.

SteevL on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    From IGN:
    PLAYSTATION CLASSIC DATAMINE SEEMS TO REVEAL 36 REJECTED GAMES
    • Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
    • Colin McRae Rally
    • Crash Bandicoot
    • Crash 2
    • Toy Story 2
    • Driver
    • Ehrgeiz
    • Fighting Force
    • Gran Turismo
    • GTA 2
    • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
    • Kagero
    • Klonoa
    • Kula World
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    • Medal of Honor
    • MediEvil
    • Mega Man Legends
    • Mr. Driller G
    • Paca Paca Passion
    • PaRappa the Rapper
    • Parasite Eve
    • RayStorm
    • Ridge Racer
    • Silent Hill
    • Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol
    • Street Fighter Alpha 3
    • Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
    • Suikoden
    • Tomb Raider
    • Tomb Raider 2
    • Tomba
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    • Vagrant Story
    • Wild Arms 2
    • Xevious 3D/G+

There's speculation in the article that these games are still on the system, but I find this highly unlikely.

Now that list makes me want to buy a PlayStation Classic.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    That is... 100% better than the actual thing.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that list still sticks to games in the first half of the PlayStation's life, right?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I never knew there was a Harry Potter game for the Playstation till this list. Didn't realize how old that first movie was till now.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that list still sticks to games in the first half of the PlayStation's life, right?

Depends on what you consider the first half. Street Fighter Alpha 3 was released in December 98 in Japan and April 99 in the US.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I would be all over a classic with a list like that. Parasite eve, vagrant story, and megaman legends? Hell yes.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion