As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    From IGN:
    PLAYSTATION CLASSIC DATAMINE SEEMS TO REVEAL 36 REJECTED GAMES
    • Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
    • Colin McRae Rally
    • Crash Bandicoot
    • Crash 2
    • Toy Story 2
    • Driver
    • Ehrgeiz
    • Fighting Force
    • Gran Turismo
    • GTA 2
    • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
    • Kagero
    • Klonoa
    • Kula World
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    • Medal of Honor
    • MediEvil
    • Mega Man Legends
    • Mr. Driller G
    • Paca Paca Passion
    • PaRappa the Rapper
    • Parasite Eve
    • RayStorm
    • Ridge Racer
    • Silent Hill
    • Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol
    • Street Fighter Alpha 3
    • Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
    • Suikoden
    • Tomb Raider
    • Tomb Raider 2
    • Tomba
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    • Vagrant Story
    • Wild Arms 2
    • Xevious 3D/G+

There's speculation in the article that these games are still on the system, but I find this highly unlikely.

Now that list makes me want to buy a PlayStation Classic.

No kidding, look at those gems. Some damn good games there that they passed on for the actual list? What a joke.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Also this is hilarious. https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/a3cqoj/soulja_boy_has_just_released_two_game_consoles/
    Soulja Boy has just released two game consoles, the "SouljaGame Console" and "SouljaGame Handheld", which come with 800 and 3000 built-in games, respectively; Games include classic GBA, PC, NEOGEO, SEGA, etc games (running on Linux) and are currently priced at $149.99 and $99.99.

They're $30-40 knockoff consoles from China, rebranded under his name. Scummy.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    What is scummier is that he thinks he'll get away with this.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Riggs likes anything.
    https://youtu.be/imBFvCcngDE

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I actually like John Riggs quite a bit. He seems like a pretty cool guy.

But yes, he (and the rest of the Metal Jesus crew) almost seem like they like anything and everything. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    From IGN:
    • Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
    • Colin McRae Rally
    • Crash Bandicoot
    • Crash 2
    • Toy Story 2
    • Driver
    • Ehrgeiz
    • Fighting Force
    • Gran Turismo
    • GTA 2
    • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
    • Kagero
    • Klonoa
    • Kula World
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    • Medal of Honor
    • MediEvil
    • Mega Man Legends
    • Mr. Driller G
    • Paca Paca Passion
    • PaRappa the Rapper
    • Parasite Eve
    • RayStorm
    • Ridge Racer
    • Silent Hill
    • Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol
    • Street Fighter Alpha 3
    • Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
    • Suikoden
    • Tomb Raider
    • Tomb Raider 2
    • Tomba
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    • Vagrant Story
    • Wild Arms 2
    • Xevious 3D/G+

There's speculation in the article that these games are still on the system, but I find this highly unlikely.

Now that list makes me want to buy a PlayStation Classic.

No kidding, look at those gems. Some damn good games there that they passed on for the actual list? What a joke.

I will say, a list like that would've been insane to try and negotiate licensing deals for. But yes, that is a lot closer to what I picture when I think PSX mainstays.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    From IGN:

[*snip*]

Just between that list and the actual list, the 20 I would have included:

Crash Bandicoot
    Driver
    Final Fantasy VII
    Grand Theft Auto
    Klonoa
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    MediEvil
    Mega Man Legends
    Metal Gear Solid
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
    PaRappa the Rapper
    Parasite Eve
    Resident Evil: Director's Cut
    Silent Hill
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    Syphon Filter
    Tomb Raider
    Tomba
    Twisted Metal
    Vagrant Story

That covers the unique and classic platformers, includes the original entries in a number of great franchises, and balances story games with driving, puzzles, rhythm, and action. Every game on that list, for me, is either a beloved favorite or a classic I missed and know I should circle back to. That would have been an instant buy for me, no question.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Frank Cifaldi has some things to say about that list:

For those who can't read twitter embeds:
    I've seen this getting passed around and I thought it could use some clarification:

The source code for the PS Classic makes reference to games that aren't in the product. To me, all this demonstrates is that at some point, probably before licensing, they tested these games.

This isn't at all strange, and I don't think it implies any kind of shenanigans. All it means is that at some point in development they tossed extra ROMs on here. My guess is they started with all the stuff on the PS3 shop and whittled it down based on licensing/tech needs.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Considering all those games would (conservatively) use up at least 10GB of storage, there's no way they're fitting on the Classic's 16GB of storage along with everything else that's actually on the system (along with, apparently ~8GB of free space).

For everyone lamenting not getting the games on that list, it might be a comfort to know that if some of those were swapped for the 20 we did get, they still probably would have been shitty PAL versions that run at the wrong speed or don't display correctly (just like the 20 we did get).

They must have ran into massive legal issues.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Gran Turismo would be a licensing nightmare.

steam_sig.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Jeeze, they didn't even test Legend of Dragoon? Maybe Sony forgot that they made that game...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    That is the difference between Sony and Nintendo. Nintendo owns a large selection of hit games.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Yeah, as defining a game as it was for the system, I think the lack of Gran Turismo is forgivable purely because of licensing.

Yeah. If they own Legend of Dragoon, they should have used that instead of butchered Persona.

The real Persona is on PSP.

Considering some of the sequels in that list, it's also weird that Twisted Metal 2 wasn't it.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Yeah, as defining a game as it was for the system, I think the lack of Gran Turismo is forgivable purely because of licensing.

And correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't it not fun to play without a Dualshock controller?

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I still think Sony's holding a bunch of stuff back to make a PlayStation Mini 2 that focuses on the back half of the system's life. But that desire for double-dipping may be the thing that kills both of them.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Yeah. It would be very Sony to double dip.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Even the obvious PS1 games like Crash and Spyro are currently owned by Activision and thus would not make the cut.

It's sorta like all the weird omissions from Playstation All Stars. When all your most recognizable characters are licensed, you're not gonna be able to get them.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Even the obvious PS1 games like Crash and Spyro are currently owned by Activision and thus would not make the cut.

It's sorta like all the weird omissions from Playstation All Stars. When all your most recognizable characters are licensed, you're not gonna be able to get them.

Considering the Crash collection was a PlayStation exclusive for a while, I seriously doubt the lack of Spyro and Crash in Sony Too Many Words Smash Brothers was the fault of Activision. More likely it was a sweaty yearning to spend that licensing money on as many new and popular(?) third-party characters as possible.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Dunno about all-stars, but supposedly there are zero licensing fees paid out by Nintendo for Smash Brothers. Every character is there because the companies involved think their IP is being promoted by the game moreso than the other way around. That's why the talk of Goku or the like was a total non-starter.

If all-stars had a similar arrangement I can definitely see Activison balking at some point. They have gotten demonstrably more greedy over time.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I would be all over a classic with a list like that. Parasite eve, vagrant story, and megaman legends? Hell yes.
    at least all 3 of those are on ps3, vita/tv and psp.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    So I hadn't seen one of those pirate-game-box kiosks at the mall in years, but I came across one today. These new ones are shaped exactly like the NES Classic, with a similar box and the same price point. I've always felt that piracy for profit is scummy, but this feels like they're trying to trick less informed shoppers.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Dirty wrote: »
    So I hadn't seen one of those pirate-game-box kiosks at the mall in years, but I came across one today. These new ones are shaped exactly like the NES Classic, with a similar box and the same price point. I've always felt that piracy for profit is scummy, but this feels like they're trying to trick less informed shoppers.

Is that the one that has NES looking controllers but has 4 A/B buttons? If so, Woot/Amazon pushes that thing from time to time which annoys me to no end.

Edit: Clarified the buttons.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I should've took a picture. The console and controllers look almost exactly like the NES Classic, minus the Nintendo branding and just generally cheaper looking.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Stopped by Fred Meyer (basically a PNW Target) and they had like 20 PS Classics for sale. That doesn't bode well.

Edit: I mean, it could also mean no one has looked there yet or Sony shipped a metric fuck ton of these things.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I would be all over a classic with a list like that. Parasite eve, vagrant story, and megaman legends? Hell yes.

This is why I'm not too upset about the ps classic sucking so bad. We have a lot of the PS1 greats on PSN with plenty of ways to play them.

Well at least PS3 and vita. Can you still access the store on psp? Or would you have to do a transfer or something?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Stopped by Fred Meyer (basically a PNW Target) and they had like 20 PS Classics for sale. That doesn't bode well.

Edit: I mean, it could also mean no one has looked there yet or Sony shipped a metric fuck ton of these things.

Comparing Freddie's to Target? Pistols at dawn, sir.

I saw some for sale while grocery shopping earlier, too. I'll give them that they nailed the look of the box and I think the games selection is actually spot-on for the early days of the Playstation. It's still too expensive and I don't think anyone really HAS nostalgia for the early days of the Playstation. I think most people look back at the entire stretch of 1995-2001, squish it into "these games all came out at once" and then pick their favorite games from that six year span.

If they really wanted to cash in on the nostalgia, they should have found a way to squeeze "Hear it now! Play it later!" into the box.

Some Japanese guy has successfully loaded a game onto his PS Classic:

Apparently he had to do some soldering to achieve this.

Meanwhile, the guy who created the original pre-GUI hakchi just dropped this in Discord:
    7o91xk91w2o1.png

I don't know what any of that means, but I think he is unimpressed with Sony's encryption efforts?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh my God... Please tell me he's joking.

Sony don't give a shit.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If the machine was encrypted and locked to hell, and it was 100% impossible to hack and put additional games on it, people would have a field day giving Sony shit over it. Rightfully so, don't get me wrong. But my own personal opinion is that while hacking would be nice, they're also not necessarily under any obligation to make it possible.

So the idea that the system might actually be akin to a refrigerator with its light always on, and people giving Sony shit for having zero protection on it seems weird and oddly hypocritical.

I'm also just remembering that there was a message somewhere in the Nintendo Classics from the devs that was more or less "Yeah, we know you're in here, we don't care, have fun!".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm glad that it's easily hackable.

I'm just also well aware it might not be worth hacking.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    People in the chat are jokingly suggesting calling whatever program is created to hack it something along the lines of Bleem.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    People in the chat are jokingly suggesting calling whatever program is created to hack it something along the lines of Bleem.

While I’d normally suggest that be reserved for a potential Dreamcast Classic, I’d be willing to let Belem through on the PSC. So funny.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited December 2018
    Some Japanese guy has successfully loaded a game onto his PS Classic:

Apparently he had to do some soldering to achieve this.

Meanwhile, the guy who created the original pre-GUI hakchi just dropped this in Discord:
    7o91xk91w2o1.png

I don't know what any of that means, but I think he is unimpressed with Sony's encryption efforts?

OK, so the guy from that twitter account above (honeylab) has now joined the Discord that madmonkey is in and has been given "Developer/Contributor" status so he can converse in the locked sony-hardware channel. Fascinating to watch as this unfolds. Apparently honeylab posted the link to the Discord channel in his live stream and suddenly we had like 25 new people join at the same time. Anyway, it seems that Things Are Happening.

But of course, it's still quite early. :)

SteevL on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

There's a pop-up stall in my local shopping centre positioned right in front of the Game store, and it looks to all the world like it's selling SNES mini's.
    Only these have over 600 games on them!
    The most advanced of which seems to be Mario Bros 3, along with most of the NES library, from what I could see from the list.

This is legally questionable, right? Console and pad appearance is one thing, but actual Nintendo games? I'm wondering if the shopping centre knows exactly what's going on here...

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

This is why I'm not too upset about the ps classic sucking so bad. We have a lot of the PS1 greats on PSN with plenty of ways to play them.

Well at least PS3 and vita. Can you still access the store on psp? Or would you have to do a transfer or something?

I own all of those on disc with 2 literally brand new (or at least unused) ps2's to play them on. I would probably pass on the system anyways because at this point I don't really want to play those games legit. I already put a ton of time into them over the years, so the ability to use GameShark codes is pretty important to me.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion