As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Model 1 Genesis's design for me feels very much like early 90's, like very early where you still have a lot of similarity and crossover with late 80's design.

Model 2 Genesis is 100% 90's, and the one I would put next to the SNES and say "yup, they're from the same time period".

Double checking the release dates makes that super obvious. Mark 1 was in '89, and the Mark 2 in '93 (side note: fuck me the Genesis was in 1989?). It's just interesting that you can really see it in the physical design.

Yeah, I think that's true. I remember when the Model 1 was first shown and I thought it looked a bit exotic, like a top-loading CD player. Bear in mind I was a little behind the curve at that point and literally the only place I knew that had a CD player (that I knew of) was my school. And it was a top-loader that was probably years old since it looked more '70s in design! And had probably cost them thousands.

But yeah, in a 1989 way, the Model 1 (especially in Japanese trim, IMO) looked sleek as hell. By '93 it probably was looking a smidge long in the tooth. But I really like how it took that asymmetrical aesthetic concept and really ran with it.

Fun fact I vaguely remembered and just verified on Wikipedia: the Model 1 only offered stereo sound through its headphone jack. The Model 2 of course lost the headphone jack, but gained stereo output through its redesigned AV-out.

Can I also take a moment to give a shoutout to the gloriously bonkers portable version, the Nomad (complete with second controller port and optional TV output!), and the functionally-more-or-less-identical-to-the-CDX-but-really-cool-looking JVC WonderMega?

39x502fuqfa8.jpg

k71leeyneyhj.jpg

There were a lot of variants of the Mega Drive/Genesis over the years but these are two of my (other) favourites.

(There were also later WonderMega variants, also sold as the X'Eye, but they look a bit more "normal" in comparison.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Model 1 Genesis's design for me feels very much like early 90's, like very early where you still have a lot of similarity and crossover with late 80's design.

Model 2 Genesis is 100% 90's, and the one I would put next to the SNES and say "yup, they're from the same time period".

Double checking the release dates makes that super obvious. Mark 1 was in '89, and the Mark 2 in '93 (side note: fuck me the Genesis was in 1989?). It's just interesting that you can really see it in the physical design.

Yeah, I think that's true. I remember when the Model 1 was first shown and I thought it looked a bit exotic, like a top-loading CD player. Bear in mind I was a little behind the curve at that point and literally the only place I knew that had a CD player (that I knew of) was my school. And it was a top-loader that was probably years old since it looked more '70s in design! And had probably cost them thousands.

But yeah, in a 1989 way, the Model 1 (especially in Japanese trim, IMO) looked sleek as hell. By '93 it probably was looking a smidge long in the tooth. But I really like how it took that asymmetrical aesthetic concept and really ran with it.

Fun fact I vaguely remembered and just verified on Wikipedia: the Model 1 only offered stereo sound through its headphone jack. The Model 2 of course lost the headphone jack, but gained stereo output through its redesigned AV-out.

Can I also take a moment to give a shoutout to the gloriously bonkers portable version, the Nomad (complete with second controller port and optional TV output!), and the functionally-more-or-less-identical-to-the-CDX-but-really-cool-looking JVC WonderMega?

39x502fuqfa8.jpg

k71leeyneyhj.jpg

There were a lot of variants of the Mega Drive/Genesis over the years but these are two of my (other) favourites.

(There were also later WonderMega variants, also sold as the X'Eye, but they look a bit more "normal" in comparison.)

Another fun fact about the model 1 Genesis: because of the way it connected to the Sega CD, you would get stereo sound out of the Genesis games. The Sega CD included a cable that plugged into the headphone jack and plugged into the back of the Sega CD, which I believe had its own A/V output to the TV. Another nice bonus to owning that system!

I almost bought a WonderMega back in those early ebay days (there were lots of X'Eyes on there too), but I really wanted the CDX and went with that instead. A friend of mine had owned one and it just seemed so cool. Unfortunately, the video output on mine is a bit fuzzy. I haven't tried it in years. It's probably fixable by someone more technically inclined.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Every time I look at that Genesis model, I just think "...That's not my Genesis".

Model 2 4 lyfe.

I honestly forgot they made two different Genesis models till you said that. For me it is the first generation Genesis that is a SEGA Genesis and not the second one. But that also is due to my age I am sure.

Yeah, I never had the second model. They actually made three models. The third one wasn't compatible with the Sega CD at all.
    txpvbza82iiy.png

I only had the model 1, and at some point I shelled out some cash for a Sega CDX which was a bulky Discman-sized system that had the Sega Genesis and Sega CD combined in a (relatively speaking) small unit.

Model 3 wasn't by SEGA, but Majesco.

I wanted a CDX so bad back in the day. I think they quit making them before I was earning my own money. Then I wanted a Nomad... until I saw the price. Genesis was on its way out if not already in the parking lot, and the price of that thing was still too steep.

Ended up buying a Model 2 with 6-button controller and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Plus a copy of Garfield: Caught in the Act for about the same price, I think. Maybe less.

Still have it, but my eyes are on a Model 1 Genesis, Model 1 SEGA CD, and Power Base Converter (ideally, I'd love them complete in box for the full experience, but depending on the price, I wouldn't be too picky). Sadly, those plans are indefinitely postponed-- cat surgery ain't cheap. =\

Speaking of the Nomad, though, let us not forget...

https://mobile.twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/status/1083449934249046016

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Hey! I had a Nomad and a Model 2. Nomad was so cool but the battery was junk, it had to be plugged in all the time.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I just got my PS Classic. $40 was my jump on point, I guess. It's not as garbo as was promised, but I am from the UK, so the lower frame rate is what I'm used to...

The original controllers feel better than I remembered!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Hey! I had a Nomad and a Model 2. Nomad was so cool but the battery was junk, it had to be plugged in all the time.

The Nomad was like the WiiU in a way. You can play it like a handheld, but you can't actually take it anywhere.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I just got my PS Classic. $40 was my jump on point, I guess. It's not as garbo as was promised, but I am from the UK, so the lower frame rate is what I'm used to...

The problem is not a lower framerate, it's that the run 50hz game on 60hz HDMI, and that causes a lot of judder and other crap.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

The Nomad was like the WiiU in a way. You can play it like a handheld, but you can't actually take it anywhere.

I took a nomad on a bus trip from Vermont to Indiana with a brick of AA batteries. My bag was much lighter on the way home, but I did finish Phantasy Star IV.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    For some reason the arcade Frogger on the Atari Flashback 9 has no sound.

• Options

The problem is not a lower framerate, it's that the run 50hz game on 60hz HDMI, and that causes a lot of judder and other crap.

Can you de-judder it with science?

• Options
    Apparently, you can go into the Playstation Classic emulation menu and force everything to ntsc. I don't know if it would mess up the PAL games. I bet not.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Apparently, you can go into the Playstation Classic emulation menu and force everything to ntsc. I don't know if it would mess up the PAL games. I bet not.

I've read up that it's actually one of the first recommendations when/if you get one. Maybe the hardware struggles with 60fps, or dips occasionally, so Sony decided that constant 50FPS was better? I honestly have no idea why they have it set to 50hz by default.

• Options
    My Sega Genesis Flashback 2018 arrived today. I tried out casting fire spells in Shining Force 2 and it did not crash. Also, there are now reflections for the player and monsters when I use my Castlevania Bloodline cart.

The 2017 also had some issue with a dungeon in Phantasy Star 4, but I don't know how to test that yet.

• Options
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Is it the same game selection as the 2017 one? Or do you know what's changed?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Seriously, there's pretty much zero info online on this thing. Unless you want to watch a long YouTube video.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I never saw anybody beat Congo Bongo before. That was neat to watch for a while. I had no clue back then that there was a story. There is a part of me wishing that they would bring back the old arcades again. I miss that experience.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I never saw anybody beat Congo Bongo before. That was neat to watch for a while. I had no clue back then that there was a story. There is a part of me wishing that they would bring back the old arcades again. I miss that experience.

There's a whole bunch of arcade games where I don't remember their names or anything; just bits about the gameplay loop. And I would love to be able to go back and play them all again.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

There's a whole bunch of arcade games where I don't remember their names or anything; just bits about the gameplay loop. And I would love to be able to go back and play them all again.

I remember one where you were a pig, or maybe you killed pigs, they had tridents I believe. Think it was a playformer. All I know is I used to walk to the gas station whenever I had a quarter to play it. Black tiger is another one I loved as a kid, glad it came out in that capcom arcade collection .

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Black Tiger is my favorite arcade game of all time. I can't not play it when given the opportunity.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I remember one in particular that was a Xevious-like (flying a little ship, top-down view, you alternated between shooting enemy ships and ground targets), except you had 360 degree movement (well, maybe on an 8-point axis), the "ground" you were flying over was some kind of big mothership, and you could take out whole sections of the mothership by targeting power nodes.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    There are an incredible number of arcade games out there I've long forgotten the names of...and a handful where I painstakingly look up the names of the games after forgetting them, say "Oh yeah! That's it!" and then forget their names again a year or two later. Hopefully I'll never forget Speed Rumbler. There's another one I've long forgotten where you are driving a vehicle while fending off these giant mosquitoes who land on your car and siphon away your fuel. You get rid of them by using a light gun to shoot them. It was the first time I had ever seen a driving game where you could also wield a gun. And as I was typing this out, I found an old post where I was trying to locate the name of the game from years ago and someone found it. It's called Night Stocker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81w1sKFoNMQ

I remember one in particular that was a Xevious-like (flying a little ship, top-down view, you alternated between shooting enemy ships and ground targets), except you had 360 degree movement (well, maybe on an 8-point axis), the "ground" you were flying over was some kind of big mothership, and you could take out whole sections of the mothership by targeting power nodes.

Not a complete match to your description, but sounds kind of like Bosconian:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AKdzgjoLKQ

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    There are an incredible number of arcade games out there I've long forgotten the names of...and a handful where I painstakingly look up the names of the games after forgetting them, say "Oh yeah! That's it!" and then forget their names again a year or two later. Hopefully I'll never forget Speed Rumbler. There's another one I've long forgotten where you are driving a vehicle while fending off these giant mosquitoes who land on your car and siphon away your fuel. You get rid of them by using a light gun to shoot them. It was the first time I had ever seen a driving game where you could also wield a gun. And as I was typing this out, I found an old post where I was trying to locate the name of the game from years ago and someone found it. It's called Night Stocker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81w1sKFoNMQ

Not a complete match to your description, but sounds kind of like Bosconian:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AKdzgjoLKQ

Alas, that's not it -- the one I'm thinking of was from mid- to late-80s and had better graphics -- but that's very, very close; thanks!

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I think 20 will be mine. Has anyone gotten one for that yet?

As a side note, this might be horrible, but as much as I love the PS1 I'm glad this thing bombed so hard. Hopefully it's a lesson to Sony and any other mini system makers to not cut corners like this.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I doubt that's the lesson they'll learn.
    'Mini consoles for anything beyond 16-bit are a waste of time' is more likely to be their take back from this.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Well that's clearly not the case if you look at the NES and SNES classic, but you're probably right. Between this and cross play, Sony is becoming my least favorite console maker, which is a shame because they used to be my favorite.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    The holy grail of XBoxes.
    https://youtu.be/v9UbxjIIL-M

Krathoon on
  • Options
    While I am incredibly envious, I am also very glad that that console is a) still in such good condition, and b) that it's clearly ended up in a good home. And it's extra awesome that the guy took it on to MJR so we can all enjoy it too.

• Options
    I snagged a black label Legend of Dragoon for $40 on eBay. Not bad. The black label version had the fancy printed disc labels.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Figures it would be in my favorite color.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

The actual design.....hmmmm....but nice story about how he found it.

• Options

I wanted that spice orange Gamecube so bad.

• Options
    I did manage to get hold of one of the orange Xbox Live promo memory cards for the OG Xbox once. I wish I still had it, it was pretty cool and distinctive.

Shadowfire wrote: »

Hell yeah. It was gorgeous.

• Options
    I did manage to get hold of one of the orange Xbox Live promo memory cards for the OG Xbox once. I wish I still had it, it was pretty cool and distinctive.

Yeah. They were only Japanese though, you wold have to get it modded or find one already modded.

• Options

Yeah. They were only Japanese though, you wold have to get it modded or find one already modded.

Yeah, I had a friend who was considering importing one at the time. I don't think he ever did, though. If it had had a domestic (US) release I'm certain he would have jumped on it hard.

• Options

The mod for GameCubes was a simple switch though. There was a handful of solder points on the board that determined what region the unit was for. My GameCube has a push button on the back to switch it between us and Japan.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Yeah. I got a purple JPN Gamecube with a switch on the back.

I also got a JPN GBA adapter, but I think I could have used a USA one.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I do see a nice modded spice GameCube on eBay. Must resist.

• Options
    Yeah. I got a purple JPN Gamecube with a switch on the back.

I also got a JPN GBA adapter, but I think I could have used a USA one.

There was no software geographic lockout that I'm aware of.

• Options
    I got the MegaRetroN HD but haven't tried any games. I already heard it handles the lower res games weird.