As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I got my PS Classic for $25 and thought that was a steal. The $5 and $10 fire sales just sound nuts, they must have made way too many of these things.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    With an 8Bitdo adapter you can use a Dualshock, and if you replace the interface with Bleemsync you can change the controls to include the thumb sticks. So if, theoretically if you managed to somehow get Ape Escape or Tony Hawk on there, you can use the sticks. Also, you can use the settings to swap it back to NTSC instead of PAL

Or buy a cheap Ps1 or Ps2 from Gamestop. Shrug.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    With an 8Bitdo adapter you can use a Dualshock, and if you replace the interface with Bleemsync you can change the controls to include the thumb sticks. So if, theoretically if you managed to somehow get Ape Escape or Tony Hawk on there, you can use the sticks. Also, you can use the settings to swap it back to NTSC instead of PAL

And change discs if I want to play another game? What am I, a caveman?

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Better to change discs than to have PAL versions. And if you're gonna hack the thing, there are better hacks out there. Ps1 Mini just sucks. FF7 is on everything now! Play it on Xbox or Switch!

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Personally, I'm just not that picky. I find the PS Classic pretty inoffensive compared to the internet at large. And that's ok, it's not for everyone. I've gotten a lot of use out of mine by taking it outside of bounds and doing what I wanted with it.

In any case, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Definitely wasn't worth 100 or even 50 bucks but it's fine.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

That's the least of your problems. There's a reason the PS2 had a reliability-related class action lawsuit back when the hardware was relatively new. It hasn't aged that well, so you'll be rolling increasingly unfavorable dice.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    I already had to buy a PS1 twice since my original died. I certainly wouldn't buy another old disc reading console, even if it were cheap.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I've seen far too many PS1 and PS2 disc drive problems; to be fair, almost all on original shape consoles for both. But also within the systems' lifespans. Those drives were hopeless. Given the failure rates I saw, they had to be up there with the original 360's RRoD.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I wouldn't necessarily buy an old disc reading console, but I'd buy the hell out of a PS1/PS2 Classic that had an HDMI out and that could actually read all of the discs I still own.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Isn't that called a PS3 fat? Mine is still kicking...

Only very specific early versions of it, but you're not wrong! :lol:

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

That's the least of your problems. There's a reason the PS2 had a reliability-related class action lawsuit back when the hardware was relatively new. It hasn't aged that well, so you'll be rolling increasingly unfavorable dice.

Try and get a system with a serial number starting in either PT6 or PX. Those were the later runs and seemed to have improved hardware.

Or just get a slim.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Mine died about two years ago. :(
    nf6g70jsocui.jpg

Jazz wrote: »

Yeah, a funny quality of Sony's "It Only Does Everything [Though Technically It Does Less Now than Before]" advertising campaign. At least the smaller models aren't so absurdly huge--I was moving my 80 GB model when I set up my PS4, the thing is Xbox huge and full Spiderman (unfortunately).

Wish I could say the same for mine. The fan is dying, though if that's the only issue, it shouldn't be that hard to replace. Hopefully.

edited August 2019
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Try and get a system with a serial number starting in either PT6 or PX. Those were the later runs and seemed to have improved hardware.

Or just get a slim.

For big PS2s, model number SCPH-5000x (x varies by region). Those ones are usually fine. Easily distinguishable by the lack of a Firewire port by the USB ports, and by having an IR receiver added between the power and eject buttons. Avoid earlier SCPH-3xxxx models like the plague.

As for slims, avoid the first batch, they tend to overheat. That was swiftly fixed, and the dial-up modem was also dropped in that update. So if it only has an Ethernet port on the back and no phone jack, you're good.

Jazz on
    My PS2 got the dreaded DRE around the time that GTA: Vice City came out. Fortunately, Sony fixed or replaced it for free at the time. It's been fine ever since...but then again, I don't use it very often anymore.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I don't think Gamestop even sells PS1s anymore. They're pretty much ancient history. A local gamestore, sure, but not Gamestop.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I don't think Gamestop even sells PS1s anymore. They're pretty much ancient history. A local gamestore, sure, but not Gamestop.

GameStop does do retro stuff, but mostly in the online store, not physical stores

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Just play the PS1 games on a PS3.

First hands-on preview with the Genesis Mini:
    https://youtu.be/MHkFCLxf62Q

Seems good overall!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Observations from the guy who made the SD card mod for the NES/SNES Classic and collaborated on the hakchi stuff, based solely on the video I posted above:
    h1kv0vwy2d1t.png

The new Sega Mini seems tight. You can switch between different versions of the games for each country. I heard there is audio lag.

It's been a very long time since I held either an actual Megadrive or an actual SNES (it was probably a Super Famicom last). I don't recall the plastic being that much worse on the Megadrive, though like all sane people, I prefer the Megadrive to the Genesis design-wise.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    It's been a very long time since I held either an actual Megadrive or an actual SNES (it was probably a Super Famicom last). I don't recall the plastic being that much worse on the Megadrive, though like all sane people, I prefer the Megadrive to the Genesis design-wise.

That's one of those comments that screams "I was a Nintendo kid 30 years ago and I have not let the console wars die"

The technical breakdown is interesting, though.

I wish I could still get TMNT Arcade on the 360 still. I have been looking at the nes version on eBay.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    If anyone's still looking the PlayStation Classic is $15 at Meijers. I can't confirm myself as we don't have the chain but it seems pretty widely reported.

edited August 2019

I have an MD right here (UK model 1 with Japanese top half of the case - the Japanese being the best looking variant IMO) but no SNES of either shape to hand (just a SNES Classic). The MD has slightly more flex than how I remember the SNES, and can be made to creak slightly, but it doesn't actually feel flimsy at all - just maybe slightly less of a tank than the all-but-bulletproof SNES.

But yeah, that dude's comment comes across totally fanboyish.

Jazz on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Not my Genesis.

81nRetdZCnL._SX466_.jpg

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    https://youtu.be/Pe39YHYUQBU
    They did mess up the audio some.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I don't think m.2 has the right management approach or pay per contract or timetable or whatever for larger projects. Their individual releases like Sega Ages and 3DS Arcade Classics have been nothing short of amazing, but their collections and now this mini have one or two glaring things very wrong in spite of getting everything else basically right.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I don't even get this. It's not like the Super Famicom vs the Super NES, there's barely any difference design-wise. It's mostly in deco, and not an extreme difference.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited August 2019

I don't even get this. It's not like the Super Famicom vs the Super NES, there's barely any difference design-wise. It's mostly in deco, and not an extreme difference.

That's me explaining it poorly--though I do prefer the Megadrive logotype to the Genesis, this is what I was referring to:
    Not my Genesis.

81nRetdZCnL._SX466_.jpg

There's a pretty big difference there. I'm not sure why, but virtually every Genesis I ever saw in American homes was of this variety, and not the first US model.

Synthesis on
    edited August 2019
    It's so easy to get at cross purposes when discussing MD/G models.

I'm just talking about the original shape, for the record.

Japanese:
    g7huqynha3vu.jpg

American:
    e8hzomso7qna.jpg

It's fundamentally the same, obviously, but the devil is in the details (and decals).

And of course here's the UK one:
    805br9a7j2e8.jpeg

More monochromatic in its colouring, using the same 16-bit panel as the Genesis, but with a decal layout similar to the Japanese one. But a different font for the MD logo, weirdly.

I'm sure Sega (and their various national branches) had their reasons for this variety of designs. Almost seems like they were focus-group'd to death. The UK/American versions shared a mould too; both had the same 16-bit panel and a sculpted cartridge slot, whereas the Japanese one just has a rectangular cartridge slot - Japanese carts were differently shaped on the sides so it seems to have been a crude attempt at import prevention on the Western versions. (Easily solved with a nail file...)

Anyway, my favourite of those by a mile is the Japanese one. The red and blue details work together, the decals complement the shape of the machine, and the 16-bit is both a bold statement and in a cool font. That part is way too meek on the Western ones - "this panel will look odd with nothing on it, maybe we'll just make it really small and in a very bland font, sure, do it", I think the size of the Genesis logo is far too big and actually clashes with the shape of the unit (like it's trying to force symmetry onto a fundamentally asymmetrical machine rather than working with it), and the UK one looks a bit dull with its monochrome stylings, but I'll take it over the Genesis.

Jazz on
    In a rare disagreement, I'm going to go UK, even though it's a mild difference with the Japanese model. They're both preferable to the US one, but that comes to see "GENESIS" emblazoned in those big, dumb letters taking away from the design slightly. I've still considered buying a Japanese Super Famicom Classic simply because it's "truer" to my childhood experience than the European model is, though that just comes down to a few words being a little different on the plastic case--at $97, though, the cheapskate in me is teaching me some common sense.

If I can obtain it at a reasonable price point, I wouldn't object to importing a Megadrive Mini in either the Japanese or UK varieties, without dealing with the anxiety of a Nintendo-style limited production run--even though most of the relevant games I want are already on my SNES Mini and practically the entire library is on my Retropie. The hacking potential seems strong, and the "cuteness" factor is a big motivator.

edited August 2019
    If the price was right, I'd certainly prefer a Japanese MD Mini. But I have to ask myself if it's worth the premium over a UK one. I'm not yet itching for one, but it would be nice.

Edit: also a bit of hackery would be needed regardless. Filling in the gaps, you know (especially since there are differences in the lineup by region). And Play Asia aren't asking silly money for a Japanese one... hmm.

Jazz on
    What is cool about the Genesis mini is that you can change the region and it will change the art and games.

Krathoon wrote: »
    What is cool about the Genesis mini is that you can change the region and it will change the art and games.

You actually have allot more games on it since it has ones from different regions.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I hate how small the US Genesis is compared to the Mega Drive in the UK and Japan.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I hate how small the US Genesis is compared to the Mega Drive in the UK and Japan.

I thought they were the same size? The Model one version, anyway? As a kid I was only familiar with the Model 2 redesign version. Most of my friends were SNES people so I never saw any of the genesis games.

Has anyone found a source for cheap Playstation classics through an online retailer as opposed to a store? I suddenly decide I want one and cant' find one anywhere. Target doesn't even seem to have them on their website anymore. I wonder how much of a loss for Sony it was.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.