As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Oddworld seems like a bad choice considering there is an updated version.

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    No Tony Hawk? Straight into the trash with it.

There are a good amount of games on that I haven't played, so I am happy with the selection.

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    The lack of dual shock is weird, since that kind of made the console. It would be like releasing an Xbox Classic with only Duke options.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    No Tony Hawk? Straight into the trash with it.

I imagine licensing for music would make this a nightmare. Reason why none were released on the PSN.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    So, it might be good to collect Tony Hawk.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Yet more evidence to support my belief that the best possible PS Classic would be a fully-functional PS2 (maybe with built-in memory instead of memory cards) with an HDMI out.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Some of the games I would want (Armored Core) are on the JP version, which is annoying. I was never gonna get this though, between PSTV for various must have Ps1 games (Mega Man Legends 1 & 2) and ports for others (Symphony on X360), I'm covered in a way I was not for the SNES Classic.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm still slightly baffled Nintendo hasn't lifted a finger to try to make their minis less hack-friendly, but I guess their strategy is to go after the sites supplying the ROMs.

There's little interest in securing most plug n plays because software isn't sold for them. (Nintendo in particular can barely even keep their mainline consoles secured.) There's a million alternative devices out there for emulation, locking yours down is just gonna rob you of a few hardware sales from the more tech savvy user.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I wonder how many of these were on peoples' "these should be the other 15 games" lists.

In other news, I'm trying to think of another word for the title of this thread to replace "proudly," yet maintains alliteration.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I wonder how many of these were on peoples' "these should be the other 15 games" lists.

In other news, I'm trying to think of another word for the title of this thread to replace "proudly," yet maintains alliteration.

Publicly?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Yet more evidence to support my belief that the best possible PS Classic would be a fully-functional PS2 (maybe with built-in memory instead of memory cards) with an HDMI out.

While that product would be a complete failure at what these retro all-in-ones are trying to capitalize on (ie: cashing in on the nostalgia of people who gamed when they were kids who no longer play anymore), I do wonder how many people would pay for a new official piece of hardware to play their old games on modern TVs (with minimal headaches).

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    How is the SNES Classic when it comes to input lag? Comparable to real hardware? How about when you mod it to add more games?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    If the JP version has an English option I would import it.

steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    How is the SNES Classic when it comes to input lag? Comparable to real hardware? How about when you mod it to add more games?

I find it to be pretty good, but I'm not terribly sensitive as others are. That being said, I think it's better than the NES Classic's input lag.

As for adding games, most of them run fine in the default emulator (called Canoe). Many need patches to run properly.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I've yet to see any indication that adding more ROMs--a lot more ROMs--changes the inherent input lag of the emulation solution Nintendo chose (itself being very subtle, but the people who follow these sort of things notice). Having an absurd number of games on all one root menu can fuck up that root menu, but that's it. Assuming that was your question.

As noted above, not all games (like Teranigma) are run by that emulator properly. Hakchi CE has solutions for that, and more (Megadrive, Neo Geo, and other emulators, to start).

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That list seems distinctly adequate to me. It's missing some garbage like Loaded to make it truly the "early years" of the console, and it's missing a lot of the later stuff to make it a representative of the life of the console. Lack of DualShocks is pretty near to a deal-breaker for me. So. Pass for me? Depending entirely on if it's hackable and if they sell some DualShocks separately.

Oh brilliant
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I think the list looks fine.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular

Metal Gear Solid, Twisted Metal, and...I think that's it. Fuck, I don't even think this version of Resident Evil is the one people wanted (doesn't director's cut have music issues or something?).

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Metal Gear Solid, Twisted Metal, and...I think that's it. Fuck, I don't even think this version of Resident Evil is the one people wanted (doesn't director's cut have music issues or something?).

It was the dual shock version that had fucked up music.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    PS1 mini list looks fine to me and a good representation of the first couple years of the console. As far as a second JRPG goes, Wild Arms is a lot better than, say, Beyond the Beyond.

• fortyforty Registered User regular

Perfunctorily?

PS1 mini list looks fine to me and a good representation of the first couple years of the console. As far as a second JRPG goes, Wild Arms is a lot better than, say, Beyond the Beyond.
    Pretty much anything is better than Beyond the Beyond, though.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    At least PS1 games are bigger than 10 megs, which justifies the meagre 20 games list a bit more
    NES and SNES classics could and should have offered several times more titles.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    At least PS1 games are bigger than 10 megs, which justifies the meagre 20 games list a bit more

Just because something is technically possible, doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

Haven't looked at the homebrew scene in awhile for the snes mini. They Have MvC2 running and at a playable frame rate. It looked pretty good. I'm hoping RE:CV plays well and then I might have to rehack my mini in the near future.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Very disappointed in that game list. The thing is, I did not want a console to represent the very early years. The first few years of a console are always bad. I wanted something that would let me legally play some of the games I actually have fond memories of playing. The sad thing is that several of those games have significantly better sequels on the PS1 that would have made for a much more enticing purchase. Twisted metal 2, Final Fantasy anything but 7 (again), Resident Evil 2, Syphon Filter 2 or 3, and Oddworld Abes Exodus. Plus several franchises that are missing that were considered huge for the system. No Tomb Raider, no mega man, no castlevania, no Tony hawk, no Spyro, and no street fighter or Tekken. Honestly I am surprised Sony even bothered with a list like that.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    furlion wrote: »
    or Tekken.
    ?

As someone who's never played a Playstation emulator, do we also expect this to emulate the PS1's loading times? Or are those generally sped up due to not having the original system's hardware limitations?

• dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    As someone who's never played a Playstation emulator, do we also expect this to emulate the PS1's loading times? Or are those generally sped up due to not having the original system's hardware limitations?

It'll probably be faster due simply to not having to read data from a spinning optical disc. It probably won't be a ton faster, but probably enough to notice side-by-side.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Just because something is technically possible, doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

Maybe. However, I do have a counterpoint:

I really really really want it.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    No Soul Blade makes me sad.

-Loki- wrote: »
    No Soul Blade makes me sad.

I feel like Battle Arena Toshendin fits better as it was an exclusive for the system. I remember it being a big deal and enjoyed playing the first and I think there was a second? No clue how they hold up. I got a PS freshman year in HS, so I remember all of these games.

Apparently Toshiden also released on the Saturn. And there were 3 released in the US. I never played the third one, but I seem to recall the second one was overall an upgrade to the first. I can all but guarantee that Toshiden has aged poorly.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Perfunctorily?

Perfect!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Phenomenal!

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Lack of DualShocks is pretty near to a deal-breaker for me.

I half expect a "PS One" version next year with dualshocks and a different game list. Oh and for $150 because why not. Sony doesn't exactly have a deep well of retro systems to keep milking.

I half expect a "PS One" version next year with dualshocks and a different game list. Oh and for $150 because why not. Sony doesn't exactly have a deep well of retro systems to keep milking.

Yeah, if Sony were to jump straight to PS2 for their next retro console, they'd be seeing some pretty significant hardware costs compared to this mini. Assuming the PSmini isn't powerful enough to run PS2 games, there would need to be an internal upgrade. More storage would be needed since they switched from CD to DVD that gen. And they can't get away with cheaper controllers, since the dual analog was standard. They might be able to get away with leaving out rumble and possibly the pressure sensitive buttons (depending on the game lineup).

All in all, that would add up to a more expensive system, and they're already getting plenty of flak for the current PSmini having the audacity to charge more than Nintendo. It just sounds like a bad move right now.

Still, I just wanna see what the Hakchi people do with this thing. I don't really care about the game lineup at all.

Dirty wrote: »

Yeah, if Sony were to jump straight to PS2 for their next retro console, they'd be seeing some pretty significant hardware costs compared to this mini. Assuming the PSmini isn't powerful enough to run PS2 games, there would need to be an internal upgrade. More storage would be needed since they switched from CD to DVD that gen. And they can't get away with cheaper controllers, since the dual analog was standard. They might be able to get away with leaving out rumble and possibly the pressure sensitive buttons (depending on the game lineup).

All in all, that would add up to a more expensive system, and they're already getting plenty of flak for the current PSmini having the audacity to charge more than Nintendo. It just sounds like a bad move right now.

Still, I just wanna see what the Hakchi people do with this thing. I don't really care about the game lineup at all.

Don't assume anything. The NES and SNES mini are capable of runing dreamcast games.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Apparently Toshiden also released on the Saturn. And there were 3 released in the US. I never played the third one, but I seem to recall the second one was overall an upgrade to the first. I can all but guarantee that Toshiden has aged poorly.

The best Toshinden was Nitoshinden, or “Toshinden Kids”