As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'd still go for some sort of Master System/Game Gear hybrid mini. Or even just Master System.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I played the star wars cabinet at Thinkgeek (on a knee since they didn't have a riser for it) and the game was a lot smoother and more fun/replayable than I would have thought. The controls handled amazing as well. I was pleasantly surprised but I'm still not getting one, I'd rather get a TMNT cabinet and mod it. I will say having that setup would be great for random flight arcade games. Or maybe even Starfox.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    N64 and Dreamcast have the same problem. Less popular consoles + more CPU power/complex software to emulate = not happening anytime soon. I really think Gameboy is the only thing left with the same level of mass market appeal as NES/SNES, although it would probably be hard for Nintendo to get the same kind of profit margins if they had to include a decent screen and battery and still keep it under $100.

Make it a GBA that also has GB and GBC games. That would bring in dump trucks of cash.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    N64 and Dreamcast have the same problem. Less popular consoles + more CPU power/complex software to emulate = not happening anytime soon. I really think Gameboy is the only thing left with the same level of mass market appeal as NES/SNES, although it would probably be hard for Nintendo to get the same kind of profit margins if they had to include a decent screen and battery and still keep it under $100.

Make it a GBA that also has GB and GBC games. That would bring in dump trucks of cash.

I'd prefer either the GBA-SP or the Game Boy Pocket form factor. Or just something like the new Analogue Pocket.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I recently played through this game for SNES called Chrono Trigger. Anyone heard of it? Pretty neat game.

In all seriousness, it was the first time I actually played through the whole game. I've had a few false starts over the last two decades, including the PS1 version and the DS game. But this time I actually finished it. And then finished it again, and again, and again, etc. I still have a few more endings to see, and do some achievement-related stuff as well. Anyway, nice to finally scratch that one off my list.

• Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

I'd prefer either the GBA-SP or the Game Boy Pocket form factor. Or just something like the new Analogue Pocket.

They could use any form factor just as long as it can be hooked up to a big screen. I miss my Gamecube GBA attachment.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Apparently the Genesis mini is going to be $50 for black friday at many big retailers. Already going the direction of the PS1 classic? All those AT games systems sure aren't helping it.

Think it's time to call it -- the era of the minis is pretty much over.

There's really only so many machines you can realistically do it with and we've already had most of them.

If we're not getting Dreamcast, Saturn and N64 minis - and let's face it, we're not - then the PC Engine / TG-16 next year might be the swansong for them. But it will see them out on a high note.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    A Mini Saturn would sure be interesting. Most of these mini consoles sell on the strength of their nostalgia. "I remember that! I wanna play those again!". I don't think the Saturn has a shred of that. If people go nuts for one, it would most likely be because of sheer curiosity. "I remember that! That thing I never touched because I got a Playstation like the rest of the world. I kinda wanna play those games.".

I had a Saturn - deliberately bought one near the end of its marketable lifespan because everyone I knew had PlayStations and, with no killer app for me at the time on the PS1, I wanted something different. I had a ton of fun with it, but made the mistake of selling it a couple of years later when a PS1 finally became a necessity. Years later when nobody wanted them, and I'd moved to the US, I had an American one which was still a blast. Sadly had to abandon that (along with so much else) when I came back to the UK.

There are so many good games on it that would keep the interest of someone who would give a Saturn Mini a chance. Okay, maybe not zillions in the grand scheme of things, but you could quite easily hammer together a list of twenty or so fantastic games without even needing to get into the memory expansion cart and the array of licensing-hell 2D fighters, although they would be the icing on the cake.

And normal Saturns are going for frankly stupid money now, before you even think about sourcing rare games; the controllers are simple and already exist in USB replica form; and IIRC it can finally be emulated pretty well. So in every way except mass-market appeal it's absolutely ideal for the Mini treatment. Alas, that one aspect is the dealbreaker for it actually happening.

Jazz on
  • Options
    A Gameboy mini makes sense for Nintendo, beyond that they probably feel better off just putting everything on the Switch.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm still somewhat doubtful of a mini Gameboy. Just on the grounds that the form factor people assumedly want... is literally a handheld, with lcd screen, battery, and so on. I'm more just concerned what the price would be. The next similar product I can think of would be those countertop mini arcade cabinets, and they're $200 in Canada. Obviously their form factor is a touch larger. Still, I'm just wondering, would people be willing to potentially pay up to $200 or more for a mini Gameboy?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Chinese handhelds that easily play gameboy games are going for like $30-60 (US), and the 2DS is going for $80. That's why I frame it more as a measure of profit margins, its certainly viable to put together but lacks the absurd profit of slapping a stock SoC in an oversized box.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Another big issue with a GB mini is the Dot Matrix screen. It would have to be emulated, but also a toggle option, since that was rough to play fast mixing games on.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I have too many copies of Chrono Trigger. I guess I would play the DS one since it has all the extras.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I recently played through this game for SNES called Chrono Trigger. Anyone heard of it? Pretty neat game.

In all seriousness, it was the first time I actually played through the whole game. I've had a few false starts over the last two decades, including the PS1 version and the DS game. But this time I actually finished it. And then finished it again, and again, and again, etc. I still have a few more endings to see, and do some achievement-related stuff as well. Anyway, nice to finally scratch that one off my list.
    Which version has achievement related stuff?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

Which version has achievement related stuff?

I'm playing the original SNES version, but in a way that links it to these achievements.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    My friend told me I should start charging admission.

zvcftthiidab.jpg

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    *sits and stares jealously*

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Now all you need are a few quarters to put on them so it looks like a real arcade.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Oh man, I remember some arcades that had ash trays people could sit on the machine. Yuck!

Thankfully that phased out in the late 80s.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Oh man, I remember some arcades that had ash trays people could sit on the machine. Yuck!

Didn't some of the older cabinets actually have them built in? I might be thinking of different machines, but I thought they did. Heck could have been pachinko machines given how bad my memory is.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options

zvcftthiidab.jpg

That's kind of terrible placement because what if somebody wants to play as Leonardo while another person wants to play Star Wars?

Hashtag firstworldproblems. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Didn't some of the older cabinets actually have them built in? I might be thinking of different machines, but I thought they did. Heck could have been pachinko machines given how bad my memory is.

I remember ashtrays built in too.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

zvcftthiidab.jpg

That's kind of terrible placement because what if somebody wants to play as Leonardo while another person wants to play Star Wars?

Come on now, no one wants to play Leonardo. :wink:

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options

zvcftthiidab.jpg

Come on now, no one wants to play Leonardo. :wink:

Don4lyfe

• Options
    Leo is the best turtle. I always play him when possible.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Donnie is number one because of his range. If Donnie is taken, Mikey...

Because he's a party dude. Duh.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    It would be a horrible prank to have the TMNT arcade cabinet and then have the first NES TMNT game on it.

I still haven't built my cabinet. It is sitting in the kitchen.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Oh man, I never wanted to play as Cyclops or Dazzler on the 6-player X-Men cabinet because they had such an awkward angle for control/screen viewing.

• Options
    Oh man, I never wanted to play as Cyclops or Dazzler on the 6-player X-Men cabinet because they had such an awkward angle for control/screen viewing.

Oh, was Dazzler an option? I never realized that. I think I have X-Men arcade on the 360.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Donnie is number one because of his range. If Donnie is taken, Raph...

Because he's cool but rude Duh.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

Oh, was Dazzler an option? I never realized that. I think I have X-Men arcade on the 360.
    Yeah, as someone whose only real X-Men exposure at that time was the animated TV show, I had no idea who she was, so I didn't mind not being able to play her. Also, I felt like her Mutant Power was one of the worst ones.

• Options
    You'd be forgiven if you thought Dazzler and Jubilee were a ripoff of the other, depending on who you were exposed to first.

• Options
    Dazzler came from the tail end of disco.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    The movies messed things up so much. Iceman and Rogue being young when everyone else was older. Wolverine mentoring Rogue instead of Jubilee.

Krathoon on
  • Options
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I worked in a store that had arcade machines in the basement back in the 80s, and while I don't remember ashtrays, I do remember a lot of the high school guys having empty pop cans that they'd spit their chewing tobacco into. Or that they'd completely miss while spitting their chewing tobacco.

• Options
    Yeah, the decent guys would at least not leave the can on the machine, but on the floor next to their feet. Blech!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Donnie is number one because of his range. If Donnie is taken, Mikey...

Because he's a party dude. Duh.

Raph is the only one with a sort of roll attack, if I recall correctly.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I get sad seeing the arcades on the boardwalk in New Jersey just thinking about how much damage that salty air is quietly doing to those machines.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    There used to be this arcade in the Venture mall in Festus Mo back in the 80s.

Nowadays, the mall part is closed off, locked away.

That was where I first saw Dragon's Lair and that Baby Pac Man game.