As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I mean it's definitely impressive that it runs DC games at all. It looks like MVC2 is the game running best on there, which makes sense since it's not super demanding. Though the framerate is still a bit sketchy when things get hectic. But then you look at games like PSO and the framerate takes a dive every time you encounter enemies (and it's not exactly smooth outside of combat).

Though I'm perfectly content with my SNES Classic just being a box for NES/SNES/GBA/GEN games. I only ran Mario 64 on there once for the novelty. I don't want to mess around with expanding the storage or getting other controllers to work with it, and PSP/DC/N64 games just aren't practical with the base hardware.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I mean it's definitely impressive that it runs DC games at all. It looks like MVC2 is the game running best on there, which makes sense since it's not super demanding. Though the framerate is still a bit sketchy when things get hectic. But then you look at games like PSO and the framerate takes a dive every time you encounter enemies (and it's not exactly smooth outside of combat).

Though I'm perfectly content with my SNES Classic just being a box for NES/SNES/GBA/GEN games. I only ran Mario 64 on there once for the novelty. I don't want to mess around with expanding the storage or getting other controllers to work with it, and PSP/DC/N64 games just aren't practical with the base hardware.

Yeah, the furthest I've gone is PS1 games using my Wii Classic Controller. I tested some N64 games on it as a novelty, but most ran like butts.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    A little birdie told me that the n64 classic will go up for po after the smash direct. Be prepared to PO just in case.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Oooh. Nintendo coming out swinging following the Playstation mini, I guess.

Glad I don't need to wade into that rat race, if past experience is anything to go by.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    A little birdie told me that the n64 classic will go up for po after the smash direct. Be prepared to PO just in case.

I'm torn on the 64. The NES and SNES were easy for me to buy since I don't have one (never did). But I have my wife's 64 and it still works fine.

Ah heck, who am I kidding, I like these little consoles and it'll look good next to the others (and probably soon PS2 Classic, GC Classic, PS3 Classic, Xbox Classic, XBox 360 Classic and Windows 95 Classic).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »

I'm torn on the 64. The NES and SNES were easy for me to buy since I don't have one (never did). But I have my wife's 64 and it still works fine.

Ah heck, who am I kidding, I like these little consoles and it'll look good next to the others (and probably soon PS2 Classic, GC Classic, PS3 Classic, Xbox Classic, XBox 360 Classic and Windows 95 Classic).

Bring on the Packard Bell Classic!
    yb4zt7nd576u.jpg

(the first non-Mac PC my family owned)

Totally unrelated, but one of the things about not having grown in America--I was thinking back to the first PC my family owned, and I think it was some variety of 486. It wasn't a Mac, in any case. After that, we had a 90 mhz Pentium. Some time later, a 450 mhz Pentium II, from Micron.

We never owned a Mac. I don't think I ever saw a Mac until I met a family of American expats in Japan who owned either a Classic or a Classic II. Depending on where you lived, you might've missed the golden age of Apple computer (or at least the height of their market dominance over IBM). After that...well, it's like that Simpsons episode where Homer nostalgically remembers using a Mac (before the iMac arrived on the home computing scene). I can probably count every Mac home computer I've seen in Taiwan on both hands.

SteevL wrote: »

Bring on the Packard Bell Classic!
    yb4zt7nd576u.jpg

(the first non-Mac PC my family owned)

God... I remember those things being built here. A co-worker of mine actually used to "test" them (aka fix the ones that failed test by soldering wires around inside to bypass the faulty traces).
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Totally unrelated, but one of the things about not having grown in America--I was thinking back to the first PC my family owned, and I think it was some variety of 486. It wasn't a Mac, in any case. After that, we had a 90 mhz Pentium. Some time later, a 450 mhz Pentium II, from Micron.

We never owned a Mac. I don't think I ever saw a Mac until I met a family of American expats in Japan who owned either a Classic or a Classic II. Depending on where you lived, you might've missed the golden age of Apple computer (or at least the height of their market dominance over IBM). After that...well, it's like that Simpsons episode where Homer nostalgically remembers using a Mac (before the iMac arrived on the home computing scene). I can probably count every Mac home computer I've seen in Taiwan on both hands.

I grew up in the heyday of Apple ][ and their clones. Used to help my dad assemble clones, test and repair them. Was basically an IT guy in the 4th grade for my school. Which is why I had to buy the C64 Mini since it is the closest I will ever get to an Apple ][ Classic.

This makes me so wish Apple would jump on this Classic stint and make a few of them. They'd be manufacturing gold.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Very interesting. I remember having to learn how to use a Mac in Japan (in Middle School) despite having grown up with Windows 3.11 and, by then, Windows 95--and even in Japan, where Apple computers had more success, they weren't as common as in the United States apparently, my experience came from going to an English-speaking international school, where the local public schools wouldn't have Apple computers. In Taiwan, they were virtually nonexistent.

I had a pretty well-rounded experience with computers by the time we got that Packard Bell. In the early 80s my dad brought home a regular Mac which he borrowed from somewhere when I was 6 or 7, and I remember learning how to use a mouse and use MacPaint. In 1st grade my teacher had a computer we were allowed to use to play educational games as a reward for good behavior (in hindsight, this was probably an Apple II). In 3rd grade we had "computer class" where we used PC Jrs in a computer lab and learned how to use LOGO. Over the years I got a lot of experience at friends' houses and in school with IBM PCs.

Macs felt relatively rare for me; we owned a Mac Plus as our main computer for about 7-8 years. I only saw one used in a classroom at school once, when I was in 9th grade.

I don't see myself getting an N64 Classic. Even without hacking, I love a huge chunk of the legit games on the SNESc (and it's the only proper release of Yoshi's Island since the original version). The N64 library is full of early 3D games that have aged as well as milk sitting out under the Florida sun. The cream of the crop are the two Zelda games, which the 3DS remakes have ruined for me (can't go back). So that leaves Mario 64, Star Fox 64, and ... ?

I don't see myself getting an N64 Classic. Even without hacking, I love a huge chunk of the legit games on the SNESc (and it's the only proper release of Yoshi's Island since the original version). The N64 library is full of early 3D games that have aged as well as milk sitting out under the Florida sun. The cream of the crop are the two Zelda games, which the 3DS remakes have ruined for me (can't go back). So that leaves Mario 64, Star Fox 64, and ... ?

Give me all the Treasure games on N64 and I might be happy. Mischief Makers, Bangaioh, and Sin & Punishment. And only the first one got a US release (not counting S&P on Wii VC), so I doubt that's happening.

Wasn't Golden Eye like everyone's favorite on it as well? Which we all know will never happen on a Classic.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Is Gunstar on the Genesis Flashback? That would be a good indicator whether or not Treasure is down with these retro consoles. But yeah, the only MM has a remote chance of ending up on the US version of the device.

I wonder what kind of render resolution we'll see from this device. IIRC, original output for the N64 was 240, and the VC on Wii bumped it up to 480p. You shouldn't need to much horsepower to bump it up to 720 for some low end HD.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

That's the same reason I'd be iffy on the PlayStation thing even if the game roster was 100 percent perfect. So much of what we loved back then would be considered massively irritating now.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Is Gunstar on the Genesis Flashback? That would be a good indicator whether or not Treasure is down with these retro consoles. But yeah, the only MM has a remote chance of ending up on the US version of the device.

I wonder what kind of render resolution we'll see from this device. IIRC, original output for the N64 was 240, and the VC on Wii bumped it up to 480p. You shouldn't need to much horsepower to bump it up to 720 for some low end HD.

After a certain point, I'm not sure bumping up the resolution actually helps the look of early 3D games. Sometimes it just comes off as like a really bad smooth filter on a 16-bit title to me.

I've seen Mario and Zelda 64 running at HD res on PC emulators, and I thought it looked nice and clean. Obviously that does nothing to fix the terrible textures, but it still looked better overall. I imagine having more of a cartoony style certainly helps there. I'm sure in the unlikely event that they did push HD on the N64c, there'd probably still be a fuzzy CRT mode that you could use instead.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Wait, did they announce a N64c or is this all hopes/rumors?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • fortyforty Registered User regular

Wasn't Golden Eye like everyone's favorite on it as well? Which we all know will never happen on a Classic.
    It was awesome for the time, but it hasn't aged well. Console FPS has improved a lot in the last two decades.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Increasing the resolution on games is pretty iffy here with so many third-party ones. Even if the 3D comes out alright you have the 2D assets to worry about, and I doubt they are going inside and tweaking the games as Nintendo surely did for their releases. If anything I'd rather have the 3D elements super sampled to fight those janky jaggies while still retaining a low-res look.

MNC Dover wrote: »

Hopes. If Nintendo was going to announce one for this year they would have done it months ago.

cloudeagle wrote: »

Hopes. If Nintendo was going to announce one for this year they would have done it months ago.

Now that they've got a better handle on the demand of the first 2, I think they're just gonna ride this out until sales get slow before they announce anything new.

Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, maybe Super Smash Bros. (although it probably doesn't offer much after all the sequels), Pokemon Snap, one of the Mario Parties besides 1, Pokemon Puzzle League, Wave Race 64 (not sure if that one has aged well or not), Mario Tennis...

I think it's just another hypothetical discussion like the time it came up in the last thread. I'm still extremely skeptical that an N64 mini will release.

I find GoldenEye really, really hard to control nowadays. There's a Half-Life mod that recreates all of the game on PC with what we'd consider normal human controls, and GoldenEye is still a lot of fun that way, if a bit simple. The Rare-style FPS of that era, with Turok and Timesplitters and what-have-you, has basically died out, making it more interesting to go back to than it might otherwise be.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Really, the whole “get through this level on one life with no checkpoints” design that Rare shooters had is the most archaic thing about them. I assume it was an anti-rental design decision, and I’m not just salty because I could never get the final boss in Perfect Dark dead on the N64.

(I did finally beat the 360 version)

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

You get Pokemon Stadium/Snap, Banjo-Kazooie (though likely not available for it) DK 64, Quest 64 for memes, Mega Man 64 to poke Sony in the eye for not putting Legends on the PS Mini

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    Really, the whole “get through this level on one life with no checkpoints” design that Rare shooters had is the most archaic thing about them. I assume it was an anti-rental design decision, and I’m not just salty because I could never get the final boss in Perfect Dark dead on the N64.

(I did finally beat the 360 version)
    I don't know how much of that punishing style was actually intentional anti-rental vs. games just being more punishing back then.

Rare games in general had a reputation for being hard back then.

Ilpala wrote: »

You get Pokemon Stadium/Snap, Banjo-Kazooie (though likely not available for it) DK 64, Quest 64 for memes, Mega Man 64 to poke Sony in the eye for not putting Legends on the PS Mini

I could've phrased it better. I don't think there aren't games people would want to play, but I can't really think of anything I would want to play. I actually hate just about everything mentioned so far.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Fair, it was always the weaker BY FAR of that generation for me, library-wise, but it did have some stuff.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Fair, it was always the weaker BY FAR of that generation for me, library-wise, but it did have some stuff.

Over all yes, but like all Nintendo systems, the games that were good were really, really good.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    RickRude wrote: »

Over all yes, but like all Nintendo systems, the games that were good were really, really good.

It didn't have as many good games as its competitors. Or at least its main competitor. That's absolutely fair, and true. But (certainly for the time, YMMV on how they've aged) the ones that were good were some of the best games ever made. It has more than its share of that tier of games.

If anything, it's ideally suited to a roster of 20 or so games. You could fit an embarrassment of riches into that.

Jazz on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I was under the impression that Gunstar releases were a SEGA decision?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    The games media now has hands-on impressions of the Playstation Classic:
    IGN:
    https://youtu.be/YZjsvQeeD3U
    Gamespot:
    https://youtu.be/JkV0P3J1LLQ
    CNET:
    https://youtu.be/INkYRTBPjfY

That flap in the back is, to the disappointment of many, just a decoration.

Looks pretty barebones. Not even any background music in the UI.

Other interesting tidbits:
    • Each game has its own "memory card"
    • You only get one suspend point per game
    • No filters or borders

Even less hype.

Well, time to wait and see how hackable the thing is. At this point I'm pretty pessimistic, since I suspect loading up the thing with games early in the system's life is to leave the door open for a PlayStation Classic 2. And hacking would cut into sales.

Another fun fact:

The emulator being used on the Playstation Classic isn't created by Sony. It's PCSX ReARMed, an open source emulator which I use on my SNES Classic.

This isn't the first time it's been discovered that a console company has been using shit produced by the emulation crowd, right? I believe I remember it being revealed that Nintendo was using ROMs from the internet in Virtual Console.

Then they always seem to want to kill the community by doing shit like forcing EmuParadise to limit its operations. What a dick move.