Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    My first hard drive was in my first IBM-compatible PC (as opposed to other computers), a 486 from 1993. 80MB it was, not a lot even then, but I added a 426MB the next year - that bizarrely specific number is seared into the memory - and that was more than enough.

Before that had been the cassette based Spectrums, and an Atari ST that just used 720K floppies, so it was a step up going to hard drives, 1.44MB floppies and, soon after, CD-ROM. But after the simplicity of the 8-bit Spectrum and the remarkable elegance of the ST's GEM desktop (Atari took what Apple started with the Mac and really ran with it), MS-DOS was a hell of a learning curve...

Jazz on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Hey fellow old nerds, do you remember that feeling when you got your first real hard drive?
    100 Mb of space... that's like 80 floppies worth of stuff! Amazing days.

Over and over and over. And I still make the same statement every single time.

"I'll never fill this up!"

128k expansion card or get the heck off of my lawn!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I had a TRS80 Color Computer 2. I did some programming on it, but I really did not get deep into it. Maybe I was too young.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Holy shit, you guys are old!

I'll go ahead and get off your lawn now.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I remember having some.old Texas instruments machine. Can't remember any games except one my dad programmed. You had to guess a number between 1 and 10 and if you got it right a sound went off. Little kid me loved this game.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Hey fellow old nerds, do you remember that feeling when you got your first real hard drive?
    100 Mb of space... that's like 80 floppies worth of stuff! Amazing days.

Over and over and over. And I still make the same statement every single time.

"I'll never fill this up!"

128k expansion card or get the heck off of my lawn!

My dad took my PCjr's expansion card and added some RAM to it giving the thing a total of 640kb. It was like a spaceship.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    You haven't lived until you cracked open that new issue of COMPUTE! magazine and hand typed game code into your machine! Something like this:

s985mkdocxso.jpg

And you better believe it never worked the first time you typed RUN. Expect at least 2-3 screenings of your code to figure out where your typo was located.

This was probably before my time. The first system I really gamed on was an Atari, although that was a hand me down before I got my SNES, and our first PC had Windows 95, but still I have to say this looks awesome.

But yeah, I'm like Dirty. I knew some of us were old, but really some of you are ancient.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Biggest computer moment was in High School when we upgraded our computer to 4MB of RAM.

"Holy shit I can play DOOM!"

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    My friends and I played a lot of Age of Empires and Sim Golf in our high school computer lab.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I had a huge stack of magazines with programs for the C64. If I typed one in that was super awesome, I even had a cassette drive to save it!

My first PC was a 386 running 25mhz with a 40gb hard drive. So yeah, I'm old too. I'm really tempted by the mini C64 but feel like I'd really need to add games and a keyboard to have it be worth it for me.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Holy shit, you guys are old!

I'll go ahead and get off your lawn now.

This is my favorite part of PA. It's like I went through my 20s and 30s with a lot of others my age. Now we can all be grumpy and nostalgic together

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Capt Howdy wrote: »
      Biggest computer moment was in High School when we upgraded our computer to 4MB of RAM.

"Holy shit I can play DOOM!"

When I upgraded my 486 to 8MB RAM from 4MB, it reduced Wing Commander III's loading times for each mission from about 6 minutes (no joke) to about 15 seconds. Probably the biggest difference I've ever seen besides actually getting something to work at all.

How that game ever ran on a PlayStation with 2MB RAM, I'll never know.

• Options
      edited November 2018
      These posts make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Also appropriate for the PnP thread given we all probably would buy a PC mini with "working" floppy drives and editable config.sys to get that CD Drive to work.

Edit: "working" as in you have to close the drive to get the system to boot.

Betsuni on
      oosik_betsuni.png
    • Options
      Jazz wrote: »
      My first hard drive was in my first IBM-compatible PC (as opposed to other computers), a 486 from 1993. 80MB it was, not a lot even then, but I added a 426MB the next year - that bizarrely specific number is seared into the memory - and that was more than enough.

Before that had been the cassette based Spectrums, and an Atari ST that just used 720K floppies, so it was a step up going to hard drives, 1.44MB floppies and, soon after, CD-ROM. But after the simplicity of the 8-bit Spectrum and the remarkable elegance of the ST's GEM desktop (Atari took what Apple started with the Mac and really ran with it), MS-DOS was a hell of a learning curve...

We had an external hard drive for our original PC. It was the IBM XT, was as big as the PC1, and had a massive 10MB of space.

• Options
      bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
      Ibm 8086 hercules, a monochrome beast made out of millitary grade metal.

It had a flipswitch on the back that would make an audible "THUNK" noise everytime i powered it on.

I think the monitor had a 30 hz refresh rate...

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    • Options
      bwanie wrote: »

It had a flipswitch on the back that would make an audible "THUNK" noise everytime i powered it on.

Degauss that monitor.

• Options
        Is there a way to do that if theres no button?

I mean it had frigging dials for contrast and brightness

and an amber/green switch...

Yh6tI4T.jpg
      • Options
        Use a soldering gun and slowing move it to the top of the screen. Old school.

• Options
          Also it was the pc itself that made the noise, the monitor had its own power switch and didnt make any noticable sound when turned on.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
        • Options
          KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
          TimFiji wrote: »
          bwanie wrote: »

Degauss that monitor.

The old PCs had allot of metal in them.

• Options
          BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
          There's one thing these newfangled flat screens will never have and that's that weirdly satisfying degauss button.

• Options
          JavenJaven Registered User regular
          I picked up an SNES classic. It’s great!

Except the length of the controller cords. Wowee.

Any reports of the third party extenders causing issues?

• Options
          Javen wrote: »

I've never had any problem with mine. There are some nice wireless options too.

• Options
          SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
          Javen wrote: »

My first pair of 10 foot extension cables were great until they started malfunctioning. Occasionally Mario would keep running in a direction when I wasn't touching the D-pad. One time my wife was playing Super Mario RPG when the system just booted her back to the main menu, as if she had hit the reset button. I didn't realize it was the extension cables until a month or two later. I sent a message to the company on Amazon and they sent me replacements which worked well...but they're starting to get touchy at the connector between the controller and the extension. If it gets bumped it'll often lose connection.

We have another set for our NES Classic controllers and it doesn't seem like it has happened to those.

• Options
          LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
          Ideally, you want a longer HDMI cable vs longer controller cables to prevent this (and keep the reset button within arm's reach), do you not?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
          Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
        • Options
          klemmingklemming Registered User regular
          edited November 2018
          I had a huge stack of magazines with programs for the C64. If I typed one in that was super awesome, I even had a cassette drive to save it!

My first PC was a 386 running 25mhz with a 40gb hard drive. So yeah, I'm old too. I'm really tempted by the mini C64 but feel like I'd really need to add games and a keyboard to have it be worth it for me.

My first computer was a Spectrum ZX81. Classic. My dad bought it when the speccy was already incredibly long in the tooth, thinking it'd get me to shut up about wanting a computer.
          It didn't.
          It's also the reason I find complaints about loading times in modern games to be adorably quaint. Everyone should have to play Lemmings with a single-colour scheme, and needing to load each level from cassette for about a minute each.
          I stuck with that for a good long while because my dad wasn't going to make things worse for himself by buying me any more of these, so I had to save up myself, so the next machine I got was a SNES. A slight improvement, there.

klemming on
          Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
        • Options
          StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
          I remember when I was fighting with my sister and we kicked the big box fan with the metal blades on top of the Dynacom joystick...
          htgvl16vzq4e.png

The stick broke the fins and the blades sliced the handle clean through. The noise was amazing, and we stood there in silence for a few seconds.

It was pretty cool.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
          camo_sig2.png
        • Options
          DirtyDirty Registered User regular
          Ideally, you want a longer HDMI cable vs longer controller cables to prevent this (and keep the reset button within arm's reach), do you not?

The reset button is a serious design flaw that, thankfully, Hakchi fixes.

• Options
          mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
          The very first video game memory i have was my learning how to do LOAD "*",8,1 and then finding "Forbidden Forest" on the list and playing the hell out of it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
        • Options
          KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
          edited November 2018
          mxmarks wrote: »
          The very first video game memory i have was my learning how to do LOAD "*",8,1 and then finding "Forbidden Forest" on the list and playing the hell out of it.

Mine was Super Mario Bros. and Simon's Quest, but one of my favorite young gamer memories is playing a horror choose your own adventure VN on an old Mac with my brother. I forget what the game was called but I remember getting eaten by werewolves a lot.

KoopahTroopah on
        • Options
          edited November 2018

Rather elegantly, too.

Makes me think of the Sega Master System which had the Pause button on the console itself (it didn't have Start or Select) as well as Reset.

The cables took this into account - the controller cables were pitifully short but the power and TV cables were about a mile long.

I know the Master System is relatively unloved, but I'd totally buy a Classic Mini version. It had enough good games to warrant one; but of course it would sell about twelve units.

Jazz on
        • Options

I already have a 12' HDMI cable run through my wall to the SNES, there isn't much slack to get the console closer.

It's a design flaw of the system.

• Options
          Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

When I was young, my father was in the Navy. The year he got me a floppy drive for my C64 he had some of his buddies copy games for me (I know, I know, encouraging piracy). I got a box with about 100 discs, many of which just said "Games" on them. It took weeks to go through every disc, some double sided, and try every game they had loaded on there. It took even more weeks to get the clothes off the ladies in Strip Poker one of them had included :)

• Options

When I was young, my father was in the Navy. The year he got me a floppy drive for my C64 he had some of his buddies copy games for me (I know, I know, encouraging piracy). I got a box with about 100 discs, many of which just said "Games" on them. It took weeks to go through every disc, some double sided, and try every game they had loaded on there. It took even more weeks to get the clothes off the ladies in Strip Poker one of them had included :)

I never had a C64, so was wondering if you had to "zero" the floppy sometimes to get it to read? I remember long ago having to spin the actual disc in the sleeve so the "holes" lined up to get some to read.

oosik_betsuni.png
        • Options

Rather elegantly, too.

Makes me think of the Sega Master System which had the Pause button on the console itself (it didn't have Start or Select) as well as Reset.

The cables took this into account - the controller cables were pitifully short but the power and TV cables were about a mile long.

I know the Master System is relatively unloved, but I'd totally buy a Classic Mini version. It had enough good games to warrant one; but of course it would sell about twelve units.

Given the right titles, I'd be on board with that.

MS (and GG) titles were why I was interested in the last AtGames Genesis -- until I found out they didn't even get those right, either, that is.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
        • Options
          Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
          My old man tech story is living off of AOL trial discs. I think we had free trial internet for a couple years.

I finally convinced ma to get broadband so I could play Crackdown online on the X360.

We were also still on Win 98 at that point. Woof.

Oh! I remember Tekken 3 had a weird feature with its gallery, you could pop the tray open, put in Tekken 1 or 2 and play all the music and FMVs from them. Unless I'm wildly reimagining my childhood, it also played regular old CDs too.

Oh brilliant
        • Options

Rather elegantly, too.

MS (and GG) titles were why I was interested in the last AtGames Genesis -- until I found out they didn't even get those right, either, that is.

Don't the atgames sega machines have a bunch of MS games?

If the emulation sucks, again, there's always hakchi

• Options
          fortyforty Registered User regular
          RickRude wrote: »

Rather elegantly, too.

Don't the atgames sega machines have a bunch of MS games?

If the emulation sucks, again, there's always hakchi
          I wouldn't consider 7 to be a bunch.

• Options
          Enough to get my interest, along with the GG titles, until I found out they couldn't even do 8-bit properly.

I don't think previous ones had those, just the HD one?

• Options
          rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
          So half the games on the joint US/EU version appear to be PAL. I.E. 50 FPS on 60/120 hz US displays.

I wonder if this unit is even capable of outputting 50 Hz for compatible TVs.