Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Just saw that here. Hard fucking pass. There is no excuse for that. That outright ruins some games (Tekken 3 most egregiously).

Mind you, I fully expect the hackers to be able to fix that. Mainly just by letting you put the NTSC versions on it.

Jazz on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Wow I'd love to hear the excuse on that one.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Just saw that here. Hard fucking pass. There is no excuse for that. That outright ruins some games (Tekken 3 most egregiously).

Mind you, I fully expect the hackers to be able to fix that. Mainly just by letting you put the NTSC versions on it.

I'm still curious on how hackable that thing really is.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'm still curious on how hackable that thing really is.

Not long until we find out.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Drat... This news is making me reconsider my pre-order now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I frequent a Discord channel dedicated to helping people hack their systems, and the people there seem confident about being able to hack it, but are concerned that the reason Sony is using PAL versions of some games is because the hardware might not be powerful enough to run NTSC versions of those games at full speed. But yeah, I guess we'll find out soon!

• Options
    I'm gonna go with "that seems unlikely", but, you know, 2018, so it's certainly possible Sony will release a PlayStation that can't run PlayStation games...

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Same sadly

• Options
    I'm gonna go with "that seems unlikely", but, you know, 2018, so it's certainly possible Sony will release a PlayStation that can't run PlayStation games...

Someone has specs of the thing here now. Initial response from the hacking community I mentioned earlier is that it's better than they expected and they're confused about why they're running PAL versions of some games.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Did.. I read an article correctly, that the PS Classic comes with original PS controllers, not dual shocks?

... Why?! Why in the heck would they not include the dual shock as their default controller? Right there makes me not want to play many games.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Did.. I read an article correctly, that the PS Classic comes with original PS controllers, not dual shocks?

... Why?! Why in the heck would they not include the dual shock as their default controller? Right there makes me not want to play many games.

Uh, yeah Sony made it clear when they announced it that it was the original PS controllers. Some people pointed it out here that sucked since the whole game list was not announced at that time.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Probably to cut down on costs.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I guess I just heard the news and assumed they would go with the most iconic PlayStation model. And non-clicky thumbsticks should be super cheap. Ah well.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Probably to cut down on costs.

Or to drive up costs.
    I wouldn't be surprised when a few weeks after this launches, Sony announces Dual Shock controllers for their portable.
    Similar to the controller extension cords for the NES classic, or it only coming with one controller. Sure, ostensibly it was to keep price per unit low, but more realistically it was to create and drive a market for peripherals.

Or, maybe I'm just feeling cynical today.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't mind the controller choice. As ubiquitous as its design has become, for the majority of the PS1's life it never existed. PS1 came out in '95, the dualshock in '98, and then the PS2 in 2000. So it really was the controller most people used and most games were designed around it.

That said, I still would have included it because of how ubiquitous the design has become. And if the machine is hackable, it locks you out of Ape Escape, which is the only game I can personally think of that required it. And Metal Gear Solid is the only game I can think of that did anything remotely clever with rumble. I don't personally think the machine is utterly hobbled without the dualshock, and they're clearly going for that "early PS1" nostalgia vibe, so it's "fine". ...But yeah, I'd still have included it regardless.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Eh, that would surprise me. I expect Sony to treat this thing as a one-and-done.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    The controller ports are standard USB-A, so once it's hacked, I'm sure you'll be able to use just about any controller you want.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

The game list was enough for me to cancel a few days ago. This just makes me feel even better about canceling it.

I'll follow the news on it after it's out and people find out what they can do with it. Maybe they'll be able to fix this thing and make it worth purchasing.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Eh, that would surprise me. I expect Sony to treat this thing as a one-and-done.

Seems like they are done with it before they released it.

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »

The game list was enough for me to cancel a few days ago. This just makes me feel even better about canceling it.

I'll follow the news on it after it's out and people find out what they can do with it. Maybe they'll be able to fix this thing and make it worth purchasing.

My morbid curiosity is keeping me from cancelling this. I should know better seeing that the C64 was around $60 on Amazon the other day.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Sony is basically doing everything they can to make me not want to buy this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I don't mind the controller choice. As ubiquitous as its design has become, for the majority of the PS1's life it never existed. PS1 came out in '95, the dualshock in '98, and then the PS2 in 2000. So it really was the controller most people used and most games were designed around it.

That said, I still would have included it because of how ubiquitous the design has become. And if the machine is hackable, it locks you out of Ape Escape, which is the only game I can personally think of that required it. And Metal Gear Solid is the only game I can think of that did anything remotely clever with rumble. I don't personally think the machine is utterly hobbled without the dualshock, and they're clearly going for that "early PS1" nostalgia vibe, so it's "fine". ...But yeah, I'd still have included it regardless.
    Yeah, I actually have few memories of playing PSX games with the analog stick. Gran Turismo is the only one that immediately comes to mind. Most of my nostalgia for it comes from playing games on its weird, mushy pad.

forty on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Someone has specs of the thing here now. Initial response from the hacking community I mentioned earlier is that it's better than they expected and they're confused about why they're running PAL versions of some games.

According to reviewers some of the NTSC games can't even maintain their original framerate, I can absolutely believe they picked PAL for performance reasons and passed over other games entirely for the same.

• Options
    I suppose I'll be sticking to my SNES Classic + Wii Classic controller for playing those games for the moment.

• Options
    It would be hilarious if it turned out the SNES Classic was actually more powerful than the PS Classic.

• Options
    Just cancelled my preorder. If it's awesome I can get one later on, and I don't have money to waste really. These reports are really concerning to me. I know the other minis have been disappointing and I'm wondering if this is atgames quality.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    At this point it's down to the hackers to make this worth getting. If they can get anything like they got from the SNES mini...

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    After careful consideration, I ended up canceling my preorder -- many of the games just didn't appeal to me, and most of the ones I did like I can already play either via PSN or by putting my PS1 disc into my PS3. Oh, well.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Welp I was about to ask a simple question but realized a quick Google search could answer it for me. It appears that the optical drive of the PS4 cannot read CDs, which means my idea of just putting an emulator on the system for PS1 games is a no go. I guess they could still do PS2 but I don't think there are any open source emulators they could steal borrow that work very well. Oh well.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    A lot of PS2 games were on CDs too (the blue/purple backed discs).

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    A lot of PS2 games were on CDs too (the blue/purple backed discs).

Oh damn, for some reason I assumed they were all dvd. I guess the lack of direct ps2 emulator makes even more sense.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The blue PS2 CDs were short lived, as I recall! Think they were gone within a year. Ico was the swapover point, on CD in Japan and the US, but DVD by the time it hit the UK.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    A lot of console emulators are a lot more complicated than most people realise. PS2/3 especially, as Sony seemed to delight in having their own unique architectures, rather than just a standard design with varying specs.

The software PS2 emulation on the PS3 (between the hardware emulation and just removing it entirely) was fairly dodgy as I remember.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The blue PS2 CDs were short lived, as I recall! Think they were gone within a year. Ico was the swapover point, on CD in Japan and the US, but DVD by the time it hit the UK.

Here's a list. Certainly most moved over to DVD, but CDs were still being used as late as 2004 (Gradius V).

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I might still pick one up if it's easily hackable, but that's kind of a shame that they seem to have dropped several details, considering they had a pretty good blueprint to work from

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It would be hilarious if it turned out the SNES Classic was actually more powerful than the PS Classic.

There's footage out there of a hacked SNES classic running Resident Evil 2, so this might actually be the case

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

There's footage out there of a hacked SNES classic running Resident Evil 2, so this might actually be the case

It's capable of running some dream cast games although emulation isn't perfect.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    klemming wrote: »
    A lot of console emulators are a lot more complicated than most people realise. PS2/3 especially, as Sony seemed to delight in having their own unique architectures, rather than just a standard design with varying specs.

The software PS2 emulation on the PS3 (between the hardware emulation and just removing it entirely) was fairly dodgy as I remember.

Over time, it's surprising people still remember that, given that Sony axed during the "It only does everything" advertising campaign, irony of ironies.

That aside, PS3 emulation is...kind of nightmarish, as far as I can tell. Not that Xbox 360 emulation is much better, though Microsoft has actively sought to monopolize that as part of their backwards compatibility push (and probably has just as robust a legal team). I'd love to play Ninja Gaiden Sigma or its sequel on something that's not a Playstation 3 that doesn't use the DS3 controller (even DS4 is a substantial improvement), but good luck getting those running anywhere near playable. With PS2 you seem to have more options, both as time and as relative power versus the machine running the emulation allow you to brute force it (the PS2 was mildly underpowered even when it was new, leading to some improved PS2 to Xbox ports, and some really terrible-running Xbox to PS2 ports).

Well, beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I can't imagine playing MGS on the really old-school controller.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.