Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The Playstation Classic has 16 GB of space, and the people in the hakchi Discord estimate that the system + included games use up about half that space. Time will tell if you're able to do stuff like what I did with my SNES Classic to add more space:

hc6vt4uyrqah.jpg

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    A couple of years ago I tried to play my PSN copy of Syphon Filter and (not remembering that you have to go in and switch to analog mode to use the thumbsticks) found it kind of unplayable just using the directional buttons.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Dang, now I'm torn on cancelling my pre-order.

On one hand I want to cancel it since I still have all my working PlayStations (even an original PS3 with hardware backwards compatibility) and think I might still have most of the games that I care about. So cancelling a $99 "toy" would probably be a good idea for me at this time. On the other hand if people figure out how to hack this thing they might not be in stock or sell out and I'll end up wishing I kept my pre-order.

Logic says cancel the pre-order and just wait and see. But when has logic served me playing games and buying toys?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I can't imagine playing MGS on the really old-school controller.
    Huh. I could never get used to playing it with analog.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Considering the declining enthusiasm we're seeing in a lot of places, I suspect you'll be safe to pick up after the fact. You might have to wait, but I think you'll eventually get one, unless Sony up and discontinues the whole project, which would be very surprising. That's only my prediction though,

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    So Sony farted this thing out as a cash grab, is what I'm getting?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It's disappointing, but not entirely surprising considering that it was announced like, 2 months ago?

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Considering the declining enthusiasm we're seeing in a lot of places, I suspect you'll be safe to pick up after the fact. You might have to wait, but I think you'll eventually get one, unless Sony up and discontinues the whole project, which would be very surprising. That's only my prediction though,

Yeah, that's what the logical side of my brain is saying as well. Especially since I see that I can now get the Neo-Geo Mini thing and C64 Mini for much less than first sold. They both were sort of the same strain that the PS Classic is (really niche market and not so enthusiastic launches).

Think I just sold myself with cancelling. Thanks PA forums once again for helping me make a decision!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Sony seems less the type to try and raise demand by strictly controlling supply like Nintendo does. I wouldn't worry much about availability.

Javen on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Sony seems less the type to try and raise demand by strictly controlling supply like Nintendo does. I wouldn't worry much about availability.

It's not that simple. Nintendo doesn't try to control demand -- they err on the side of caution, since they don't like their stuff rotting on store shelves. It took them a while due to production logistics, but once they figured out there was actually a demand for their minis they opened the floodgates.

Sony's also run into supply and demand issues now and again -- there was a time logistic hiccups caused PS3s to be unavailable for a month or so. But given the general reaction to their machine, I'm guessing availability won't be a problem.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm watching the Giant Bomb quick look. They just got to Metal Gear Solid. And right away had the thought "Uh... what happens when you get to the bit where they ask you to look at the back of the box?". So they go and look at the back of the PS Classic box. And sure enough, the right screenshot is there with the right codec number.

So you can't technically say that absolutely no thought went into this thing. :) Because somebody actually thought to remember about that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm watching the Giant Bomb quick look. They just got to Metal Gear Solid. And right away had the thought "Uh... what happens when you get to the bit where they ask you to look at the back of the box?". So they go and look at the back of the PS Classic box. And sure enough, the right screenshot is there with the right codec number.

So you can't technically say that absolutely no thought went into this thing. :) Because somebody actually thought to remember about that.

That and the Psycho Mantis fight pissed me off so much and were the driving factors for me writing off the whole series. My friend talked me into playing MGS2 because he was super pissed Snake wasn't the main character.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    That's pretty cool. I imagine a lot of people throw their boxes out, though. Thankfully the internet makes that a non-issue today.

forty on
  • Options

Did they do anything for people buying MGS on PS3?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Did they do anything for people buying MGS on PS3?

Yeah, it's noted in the in-game manual you can access with the PS button.

• Options
    I wonder how many people found that out before they googled it.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    DF brings some great in-depth technical nitpicking of the PS Classic:

https://youtu.be/UU0dn9pRKuw

TLDW; the PAL games here are PAL for performance reasons. 'nuff said.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    it's still a shitty product

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

TLDW; the PAL games here are PAL for performance reasons. 'nuff said.

What a huge bummer. I guess I'm glad I didn't pre-order. Still distantly curious what tinkering folks can do with it.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    If it's underpowered for the games it's loaded with, then I think that's gonna severely limit its hacking potential.

It's such a shame, because those USB-A ports could have had some potential.

• Options
    The only issue I would take with that video comparing it to the various other official solutions for playing the games is that none of them include the cost of the games, which it has to be said is a plus point for the Classic. Like, let's discount the cost of the hardware, call that 50%; if I could then buy that bundle of games for $50 for my PS3, say, then I'd give that some serious consideration.

Still, that's a pretty poor effort on Sony's part, and really makes it look like a half-assed, rushed exercise in bandwagon-jumping.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    If it's underpowered for the games it's loaded with, then I think that's gonna severely limit its hacking potential.

It's it underpowered, or is the fork of PSX ReARMed not optimized for the hardware they're using? I'm still waiting to see what the community does with it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It's it underpowered, or is the fork of PSX ReARMed not optimized for the hardware they're using? I'm still waiting to see what the community does with it.

It's possible - not guaranteed, but not out of the realms of possibility - that switching it to a different emulator will give a better result, isn't it?

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

It's possible - not guaranteed, but not out of the realms of possibility - that switching it to a different emulator will give a better result, isn't it?

Yeah. I've seen the hacking community even speculate that the emulator itself can be configured to run better, because it sounds like the hardware in the PS1 Classic is more powerful than the NES/SNES Classic. And I've said it before, but a lot of PS1 games run perfectly fine in that same emulator on the SNES Classic.

Anyway, the system is out. Work is already underway to analyze what's in this thing and what can be done. We'll see!

• Options
    To my dismay, all the non-standard emulation cores on m SNES Classic had just..stopped working. With no indication as to why. Previously getting any arcade title to boot was difficult, but Neo Geo and Sega Genesis games worked with little or no change from the default options in Hakchi 2. I thought it might be a result of brushing up close to full storage, but removing a few large games made no change.

Not sure what to do now. :sad: Hakchi's own internal update/updated kernell seemed to make no difference. SNES games work (though I imagine Terranigma doesn't, since it needed to use another SNES emulator). I guess wipe it to factory reset and try adding the additional games one by one. Otherwise I'm basically back to Hakchi 2..it's still nice to add (most) SNES games, but so short of its potential.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Yeah. I've seen the hacking community even speculate that the emulator itself can be configured to run better, because it sounds like the hardware in the PS1 Classic is more powerful than the NES/SNES Classic. And I've said it before, but a lot of PS1 games run perfectly fine in that same emulator on the SNES Classic.

Anyway, the system is out. Work is already underway to analyze what's in this thing and what can be done. We'll see!

Isn't it cheaper to just buy a retropie and not have to buy this thing and mod it?

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    In the end it's still so easy to play games from the three "classic" systems today, be it on successor consoles or legal emulation or many other methods.

I (unrealistically) wish we got stuff like the Saturn, Jaguar, Lynx, 3DO, the Turbografx-16 family and all those marvelous crazy japanese gaming computers.
    not questionable systems like the Neo-Geo one, though.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    urahonky wrote: »

Isn't it cheaper to just buy a retropie and not have to buy this thing and mod it?

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut-fuck/

Seriously though, Retroarch's UI is moldy ass. These classics usually have pretty slick UIs, then you just add more games to it.

Dirty on
  • Options

Probably!
    To my dismay, all the non-standard emulation cores on m SNES Classic had just..stopped working. With no indication as to why. Previously getting any arcade title to boot was difficult, but Neo Geo and Sega Genesis games worked with little or no change from the default options in Hakchi 2. I thought it might be a result of brushing up close to full storage, but removing a few large games made no change.

Not sure what to do now. :sad: Hakchi's own internal update/updated kernell seemed to make no difference. SNES games work (though I imagine Terranigma doesn't, since it needed to use another SNES emulator). I guess wipe it to factory reset and try adding the additional games one by one. Otherwise I'm basically back to Hakchi 2..it's still nice to add (most) SNES games, but so short of its potential.

I've been helping with support with hakchi in Discord for the last few months, and I've seen weird behavior like this occur once or twice before. Not sure what causes it, but usually I suggest (if you're using hakchi CE, at least) to do a Kernel -> Install/repair first, and if that doesn't fix it, a Kernel -> Reset (this uninstalls all non-default modules) and then reinstall Retroarch + your relevant cores.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Remember those tiny little Arcade Classics Walmart's been putting out? They've quietly gotten up to 12 of them, including a Fix-It-Felix Jr. (the faux-classic game from Wreck-It-Ralph).

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

Probably!

I've been helping with support with hakchi in Discord for the last few months, and I've seen weird behavior like this occur once or twice before. Not sure what causes it, but usually I suggest (if you're using hakchi CE, at least) to do a Kernel -> Install/repair first, and if that doesn't fix it, a Kernel -> Reset (this uninstalls all non-default modules) and then reinstall Retroarch + your relevant cores.

(Sorry, I meant Hakchi CE, or Hakchi 2 CE technically).

Yeah, install/repair was my first thing (I was bringing it home from visiting a friend, the best justification for buying the thing is how convenient it is to move the tiny plastic body and a couple controllers)--though I think Hakchi CE did that automatically as part of the software update anyway. No effect either way.

I'll try a kernel reset, then reinstalling the cores (I guess a matter of checking and unchecking boxes). Thanks for the suggestion, it's worth a shot. I don't even have that many cores installed anyway, I mostly hit a wall trying to get Super Gem Fighters/Pocket Fighters for the Capcom CS-2 to work.

• Options

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut-fuck/

Seriously though, Retroarch's UI is moldy ass. These classics usually have pretty slick UIs, then you just add more games to it.

Well that was referring to the idea of buying the SNES classic just to play those SNES games. I'm more referring to this idea that people are going out of their way to buy the PS classic just to hack it... When a product like this already exists and is significantly cheaper.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Remember those tiny little Arcade Classics Walmart's been putting out? They've quietly gotten up to 12 of them, including a Fix-It-Felix Jr. (the faux-classic game from Wreck-It-Ralph).

Oh now THAT is cool.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Apparently the PS1 Classic controllers work out of the box on PC and can be configured to work with Retroarch.

• Options
    Apparently the PS1 Classic controllers work out of the box on PC and can be configured to work with Retroarch.

Any idea on the quality of the controllers?

• Options

In Giant Bomb's look at it, Jeff Gerstmann said the coating on them felt off. He also said that it "seems okay" and the D-pad "feels just as stiff and unforgiving as it did in 1995."

• Options

In Giant Bomb's look at it, Jeff Gerstmann said the coating on them felt off. He also said that it "seems okay" and the D-pad "feels just as stiff and unforgiving as it did in 1995."

Interesting... Thanks!

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I get that the point of those things is to have the cute little plastic cabinet thing sitting around, but man, those games are not worth (individually) $15-$20 to play.

forty on
  • Options
    Got at least one report of someone trying to use a PS1 Classic controller on their SNES Classic with a USB hub and it didn't work for them.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Are the PAL games really that bad? My PS1 Classic is waiting for me at Best Buy.