As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Cloud is kind of oddball being a PlayStation character.

Yeah, Nintendo probably just had very good timing and positioning (or someone greased the right elbows regardless of what the official policy for Smash cameos is). There's a whole cast of beloved Final Fantasy VI characters who would've made perfect sense, but very clearly, none of them are Cloud famous. On top of that, since then a Final Fantasy VII remake on PS3, years in the advertising, collapsed into a big joke, and a remake on the PS4, with something vaguely resembling gameplay footage has apparently been aborted and will be "tried again from the top." Kind of funny in retrospect.

Good luck trying to play as Cloud on a Nintendo platform outside of Smash Brothers (or hacking a Playstation game onto the hardware).

Cloud was in two Nintendo Kingdom Hearts games as a boss and then supporting character, so he's in on a technicality. They are doing a bunch of FFs on Switch including 7 though, so this soon won't be a thing.

When did those Kingdom Hearts games come to 3DS? I assume it was 3DS.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Yeah, Nintendo probably just had very good timing and positioning (or someone greased the right elbows regardless of what the official policy for Smash cameos is). There's a whole cast of beloved Final Fantasy VI characters who would've made perfect sense, but very clearly, none of them are Cloud famous. On top of that, since then a Final Fantasy VII remake on PS3, years in the advertising, collapsed into a big joke, and a remake on the PS4, with something vaguely resembling gameplay footage has apparently been aborted and will be "tried again from the top." Kind of funny in retrospect.

Good luck trying to play as Cloud on a Nintendo platform outside of Smash Brothers (or hacking a Playstation game onto the hardware).

Cloud was in two Nintendo Kingdom Hearts games as a boss and then supporting character, so he's in on a technicality. They are doing a bunch of FFs on Switch including 7 though, so this soon won't be a thing.

GBA back in 2004.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »

GBA back in 2004.

Huh--that would be the Square 2D RPG I'd heard about.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Cloud was also in Theatrhythm, and wasn't he a guest in Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Cloud was also in Theatrhythm, and wasn't he a guest in Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced?

I was trying to find that Marche meme pic.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    LD50s hot take on the PSclassic:

Anyone who really wanted one already has a psp/vita/pstv/ps3.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Eh, Virtual Console on Wii/Wii U didn't really cause a drag on Nintendo's minis.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

More like anyone who really wanted it pre-ordered it. The rest waited to hear the reviews and was glad they went with their decision.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

That is pretty much the case. My PS3 has a better PS1 classics collection than anything Sony could release.

Still no BoFIII though...jerks. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    My PS3 still plays my PS1 discs, and there weren't any games on the Classic that I cared about that I didn't already own one way or another.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Are the PS3 and 360 stores still active? Need to get that Asura's Wrath DLC.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

He's not in FFTA. He was in FFT/War of the Lions.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I didn't pre-order a PS Classic, but I was frankly all set to pick one up once reassured about its performance. Any game list can be mended, as long as the underlying foundation is strong.

Unfortunately, it's not! So there goes that.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Even a stock PSP 2000+ is a great PS1 Classic.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

More like anyone who really wanted it pre-ordered it. The rest waited to hear the reviews and was glad they went with their decision.

I think there were a lot of cancelled preorders when reviews started coming out. I cancelled mine.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

I think there were a lot of cancelled preorders when reviews started coming out. I cancelled mine.

Yeah same here. Might pick one up later when it gets really cheap just to have.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

The ps3 store is. I don't know about the 360.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

The ps3 store is. I don't know about the 360.

Yeah, the 360 store is still active. MS even still gives away 360 games through it for GWG.

Given how DLC and digital distribution exploded in the PS3/360 generation I'd be very surprised to see either one shut down any time soon. There's a lot of those machines out there that still get a lot of use. And MS in particular leans quite hard into BC as a USP. (Acronyms!)

Jazz on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I think the Playstation 1 is just not near as nostalgic as the SNES and NES, mainly because the nostalgia for those older consoles is partially driven by the fact they're 2D sprite-based consoles.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Has there been an official power comparison done yet between the PS and SNES minis? Like, one can run PSP and the other can't, or SNES is better at PS than the PS is?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Maybe PlayStation was just the right thing at the right time, positioned as a more sophisticated, "mainstream" (as in, public recognition of Sony as a major Electronics and movie/TVcompany versus Nintendo as simply a game/"toy" company), mature "grown-ups can play, too" sort of machine.

And the message of the original has been drowned out now, in a world where that's the norm. Whereas Nintendo has that sort of "recapture your childhood" vibe, what is Sony recapturing?

It's like when asked if you'd want to relive your high school days knowing what you know now, and people still say "hell no."

Or, as noted, it's just that Sony was more of a platform than a brand unto itself-- the reason I got one was so I could keep playing games I grew up with on Nintendo, like Mega Man, Street Fighter, Metal Gear, and Castlevania (after getting an N64 and realizing the games PlayStation was getting weren't coming), or what I felt were better versions of other third-party titles, like WWF War Zone.

The third-party thing was great for business in the short term, but maybe not so much for their heritage in the long term. Hell, I'd need to look at a list to see if I had any first-party PS1 games at all.

On a side-note, I picked up PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for cheap recently. Haven't gotten to play much beyond training with Ratchet, but it seems alright. Probably would have made a bigger splash as a PS4 launch title than a PS3 sendoff.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The SNES was a perfected version of the current landscape. The PSX was attempting to frontier into the next thing. The same way a lot of NES games had amazing concepts that were limited by tech and ultimately delivered in their SNES counterparts, a lot of PlayStation games were larva that would later become something greater.

• Options

Yes. At least, the Xbox 360 one is.

I haven't tested my PS3 recently because a borrowed PS4 is taking up that HDMI port. And also every time I turn it on I can clearly hear the fan dying and the system overheating. :sad:

• Options
    I mean, EVERYONE was frontiering into the next thing at that point. I think there's a reason Nintendo hasn't forged ahead with an N64 mini.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I still think one of the reasons (though certainly not the only one) we haven't heard a peep officially about an N64 Classic is the controller. It's more complicated and much more cumbersome than any of the Classic system controllers we've gotten so far. I could see it causing logistical and cost hurdles.

• Options
    I still think one of the reasons (though certainly not the only one) we haven't heard a peep officially about an N64 Classic is the controller. It's more complicated and much more cumbersome than any of the Classic system controllers we've gotten so far. I could see it causing logistical and cost hurdles.

Given the support for four players, the size (and complexity) of the controllers, I think it's pretty likely that any N64 Classic comes with only one controller, possibly two, and Nintendo sells additional ones (which will work with the earlier mini consoles hint hint hackers). Especially if they're concerned about the psychology of a impulse purchase price point.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I thought Reggie made it pretty clear that the classics were just a safety measure to have some revenue in case the Switch didn't do as well as expected.
    And then he said they're not looking into anymore classic systems OR making more of the NES and SNES ones.

Considering those facts, I doubt they even got as far as worrying about design issues.

And the controller is still a billion times simpler than even joycons. It's just a very simple PCB (a tiny bit more complex than the SNE's) with a thumbstick. They wouldn't even need to have the expansion port. just a few buttons and the stick, which they got a LOT better at making. No batteries, no wireless, no sensors (movement or light)...

I honestly don't see what's so complicated or expensive about a n64 classic controller within the context of everything we have around today, unless Nintendo wanted to sell the n64c for 15 dollars.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Compared to the other Classics, though, the size, weight, and material costs must be several times more.

If they ever did do an N64 Classic, it wouldn't surprise me if it WAS the controller, and you'd just daisy-chain them for multiplayer.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Apparently work is still slowly being done to mod the Neo Geo mini, but they have not successfully dumped the NAND yet. The Discord channel all of this is happening in has a crapton of activity in the Sony sections, which I ignore, and a moderate amount of traffic for people on the Nintendo side.

I just recently played through this game. Kind of a fun little platformer/brawler:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS3NMDGt5NY

It never came out in the US and was only available on Nintendo's Satellaview service until last year, when some company produced a limited run of Super Famicom cartridges. Pretty cool of them, but it sounds like they were charging the equivalent of $60 which is way too much for a ~1 hour experience that didn't have much replay value to me.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    <snip> $60 which is way too much for a ~1 hour experience that didn't have much replay value to me.

Authentic to a lot of the 8/16-bit era on consoles, though! :wink:

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Kojima plays MGS on the Playstation Classic

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Just a heads-up to anyone who has not yet bought an SNES Classic: convincing fakes are all over the place now. I had two people come into our hakchi support channel in the last 24 hours saying they couldn't get their news system to connect to their PC; a few questions later and we had determined they had bootleg consoles. I expect this to become more common now that Nintendo's not going to be making them anymore.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    And I'm guessing they didn't have charming little "variations" for the eagle-eyed to spot, like the old "Nintondo" bootleg carts for GBC & GBA.

(Speaking of which, that brings back a memory. Once when I was working at an indie game store back in the early '00s, someone traded in a Pokemon Green cart for original Game Boy. Yes, Green. On a green cart and everything with a professional looking label. I knew it wasn't legit but took it in anyway and called up a good mate who was a huge Pokemon fan, who loved it as a curio for his collection. It actually ran, too, with a title screen, an atrocious translation and glitches, so it was a proper ROM hack or something of Red, Blue or Yellow. Someone had put some effort into it! Never saw another one, so I'm glad I grabbed that for my friend.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    The only clear physical thing that identified one of the bootleg SNES Classics was the power adapter. I showed the guy a picture of what a real one looks like, and apparently his looked nothing like it.

The other guy opened his up and shared a picture and it was clearly not the same as a standard SNES Classic.

The other easy symptom to identify is if the system can't boot into FEL mode. If you hold reset while turning it on, the power LED should not come on. This is FEL mode, which is required in order to flash a custom kernel. If the LED comes on anyway, there's a 99% chance it's a bootleg, with a 1% chance that the reset button isn't working.

• Options
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Nah

• Options
    I'm going to have to admit... I picked one up for $49.95... >_> I'm ashamed and not ashamed at the same time.

Maybe living in denial? Dunno.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm going to have to admit... I picked one up for $49.95... >_> I'm ashamed and not ashamed at the same time.

Maybe living in denial? Dunno.

Nah that's not a bad price for those games to be honest.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what price would get me to grab one. The game list is so lackluster to me that I just don't see me playing it except maybe once.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    It's a good price for the content and hardware itself. It's just a shame it sounds like the emulation software is so junky. I'm still holding out hope that the hacking community can make something good out of it yet.