Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Taito was also the Japanese publisher for the Lufia and Pocky & Rocky series. They didn't develop the former though, not sure of the latter either.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    skeldare wrote: »
    Imagine trying to sell a console without a controller.

Suits me fine, I am only interested in using their joystick with PC or Mister.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh man, why did no one ever tell me Violence Fight existed.
    Oh man, I agree. The internet really dropped the ball not making us aware of this until now.
    wikipedia wrote:
    The contestants, drawn from all across the country, compete for large sums of money and the title of "No. 1 Quarreler".
    I'm watching a play through on Youtube and in the bonus stage, you violence fight a tiger.

forty on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The mad lads have done it. A CD-32 controller! Hopefully this runs CD-32 games then...

Kind of skeptical of the separated playstation d-pad though. Usually uncomfortable and it's not particularly true to the original either.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I notice how there's no mention of putting your own games on it like the C64 one. But I missed the Amiga (I had an Atari ST so 99% of the games are familiar), so that could be very cool.

Edit: I made dis.
    ghve1xfek8u3.jpg

Jazz on
  • Options
    More info on the official page. And yes, you can load your own games on USB, and contrary to the name it also emulates A1200. (Hopefully CDTV / CD-32 as well?)

720p can be a bit iffy for scaling PAL resolution. Hopefully the black space in most of them is cut down to 240p or so.

• Options

This is very cool! The A500 Mini is set for an early '22 release. The bijou Amiga comes complete with 25 preinstalled games (including Kick Off 2, Alien Breed 3D, Speedball 2, Worms, The Chaos Engine), and you can load your own titles via USB. Price will be $139.99.

So probably £100-120 here. I think I can stomach that, all things considered.

• Options
    Any reason they haven't mentioned Zool as a game when they are plastering him on the freaking box?

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Good question. Seems like an odd oversight.

Edit: Zool is mentioned on the official site you linked above.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Could swear it wasn't earlier but oh well. That list does seem to cover everything in the trailer, which would make sense. Here is 12 of the 25 for reference:

Alien Breed 3D
    Another World
    ATR: All Terrain Racing
    Battle Chess
    Cadaver
    Kick Off 2
    Pinball Dreams
    Simon The Sorcerer
    Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
    The Chaos Engine
    Worms: The Director’s Cut
    Zool: Ninja Of The ”Nth” Dimension

I feel like James Pond II: Robocod is almost obligatory, but the rights holders seem to like reselling their lackluster PS1 remake on recent consoles instead.

Moonstone would be awesome but I don't know if anyone even owns that.

Lotus II really belongs here for racing representation. Also one of the early strategy games like Populus or mega lo mania.

And something from Sensible (Cannon Fodder please. Use the CD32 version!)

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I saw this Thumby portable online and it looks like the most ridiculous and unplayable console ever.

forty on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Thumby on Kickstarter

That is pretty cool and crazy. You might want to edit out your link since they are not allowed here.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Ah, I was not aware. I wasn't suggesting anyone pay money for it because I think it looks ridiculous and stupid beyond the gimmick factor. Is a Gizmodo article OK?

forty on
  • Options
    Ah, I was not aware. I wasn't suggesting anyone pay money for it because I think it looks ridiculous and stupid beyond the gimmick factor. Is a Gizmodo article OK?

Yep, I'm pretty sure articles that link the KS is kosher. I almost backed it just because it has a RPi in there and I wonder how much you can actually do with it. Plus I'm a sucker for electronic gizmos.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    That NES Classic had a good collection of games.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I would say it had a good variety as well as a good representation of the lifetime of the console (i.e., a few black box games, a couple late era games, and a bunch in between), but for my money it definitely had some stinkers. Like if it's the desert isle scenario and all I have is an NES classic to play for a year, there were a lot of NES games with significantly more lasting fun than some of what was included.

I do realize for some of the better games out there that licensing would have been an issue.

• Options
    I would say it had a good variety as well as a good representation of the lifetime of the console (i.e., a few black box games, a couple late era games, and a bunch in between), but for my money it definitely had some stinkers. Like if it's the desert isle scenario and all I have is an NES classic to play for a year, there were a lot of NES games with significantly more lasting fun than some of what was included.

I do realize for some of the better games out there that licensing would have been an issue.

They had to put Simon's Quest on it. Also, the Donkey Kong is missing a level compared to the arcade. Everything else is great.

Yeah. There are some cult classics on the NES.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    NES Classic was missing too much and included too much trash for my liking. SNES Classic was a better lineup, while still lacking some goodies I would have liked to see.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    The NES Donkey Kong is pretty sucky. The arcade version has alot more animations.
    I did like the NES Popeye.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    For the time they were fine since they were what people were looking for, but all the NES games that are just ports of single screen arcade classics (DK, Galaga, Mario Bros., Pac-Man, etc.) are just things that I have no interest in playing in current year for more than 15 minutes. I'd rather play the more long form, interesting, and deep games that the console brought to the table (Mega Mans, Zeldas, Crystalis, etc.).

Also screw Ghosts 'n' Goblins.

• Options
  • Options
    For the time they were fine since they were what people were looking for, but all the NES games that are just ports of single screen arcade classics (DK, Galaga, Mario Bros., Pac-Man, etc.) are just things that I have no interest in playing in current year for more than 15 minutes. I'd rather play the more long form, interesting, and deep games that the console brought to the table (Mega Mans, Zeldas, Crystalis, etc.).

CONGRATULATION. THIS STORY IS HAPPY END.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    The Amiga 500 Mini's firmware/software side has gone gold and manufacturing is underway. To celebrate, they've announced two more games that will be included, The Sentinel and Project-X Special Edition 93.

The latter I don't recall playing but is a highly regarded shmup. But the former is a real old favourite of mine, a game I played a lot on the Spectrum and ST, massively significant for its early 3D visuals, procedural generation, and incredible and intricate design, and is a hugely welcome addition. (It later had a PC/PS1 sequel, The Sentinel Returns.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

CONGRATULATION. THIS STORY IS HAPPY END.

I’m pretty sure that’s spelled “CONGRATURATION”. Get it right. :P

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    They should have put Startropics 2 on the NES Classic. I wonder if they accounted for the "put the letter in water" part of Startropics 1.

• Options
    They also had the Punch Out without Mike Tyson.

• Options
    They should have put Startropics 2 on the NES Classic. I wonder if they accounted for the "put the letter in water" part of Startropics 1.
    I think there's an image of the letter with the code in one of the manuals that comes on the Classic.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

It's better than the first one, but still a giant pain in the ass. Especially the final boss where they got lazy and said, hey let's just have the player fight ALL of the previous bosses + 3 forms of the final boss all without dying once! That would be so much fun!

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote: »

It's better than the first one, but still a giant pain in the ass. Especially the final boss where they got lazy and said, hey let's just have the player fight ALL of the previous bosses + 3 forms of the final boss all without dying once! That would be so much fun!

They pulled similar shit with Wind Waker.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Has anyone been able to run Sega CD games on the Legends Flashback Deluxe? I can get it to run the bios, but not the games. The cue files will not show up. Only the bin files show.

Edit: I still could not get it to work. I tried compressing the games into chd files and they did not show up in the menu at all.

Might as well run them in Retroarch.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

This is very cool! The A500 Mini is set for an early '22 release. The bijou Amiga comes complete with 25 preinstalled games (including Kick Off 2, Alien Breed 3D, Speedball 2, Worms, The Chaos Engine), and you can load your own titles via USB. Price will be $139.99.

Found this on my Amazon "you might like to check this out and spend more money with us" area today.

https://smile.amazon.com/A500-Mini-electronic-games/dp/B09CM1C3LX/

$139.99 pre-order ships March 31, 2022.

Fake Edit: Found the UK link for you @Jazz
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-A500-Mini-Electronic-Games/dp/B09BW8N7JZ/

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

Found this on my Amazon "you might like to check this out and spend more money with us" area today.

https://smile.amazon.com/A500-Mini-electronic-games/dp/B09CM1C3LX/

$139.99 pre-order ships March 31, 2022.

Fake Edit: Found the UK link for you Jazz
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-A500-Mini-Electronic-Games/dp/B09BW8N7JZ/

Already pre-ordered one back at the start of October! But thank you :heartbeat:

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, remember that Intellivision/Amico thing? They're asking for more money (for the fourth time!), but the project appears to be close to dead:
    On Monday, Intellivision Entertainment Inc. began its fourth round of public prelaunch fundraising in less than four years. The fundraising campaign, which aspires to raise $5 million, includes an SEC filing that contains page after page of "risk factors" for the company going forward. While such disclosures tend to include broad statements of potential risk factors to cover all foreseeable catastrophes, Intellivision's filing goes into brutal specifics about the company's current debt—and suggests a clear timeline for the game console's potential dissolution.

In particular, the company tells investors that it has "generated no revenues" since its formation in 2018, and its handlers predict Intellivision can only operate until July of this year at its current zero-revenue pace before needing to drastically change course.

Brutal details on just how much money the thing's lost and where it went at the link.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    It's too bad. I liked the idea of the Amico when it was first announced, but was less enthusiastic as more information came out about it.

• Options
    Jenovi's been bagging this thing for its low quality and misleading marketing but even he seemed to expect it would at least launch like the Ouya. But this is looking more like another kickstarter hole that produces nothing at all.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Jenovi's been bagging this thing for its low quality and misleading marketing but even he seemed to expect it would at least launch like the Ouya. But this is looking more like another kickstarter hole that produces nothing at all.

All I saw was this post when I initially clicked the link for this page and yet instantly I knew exactly what rahkeesh was talking about. A Chinese firm (allegedly) stole 1.3 million from them and there's no way they can get the cash or the hardware they paid for. Also they're more than 8 million dollars in debt and are asking for another 5 million in crowdfunding to "deliver hardware". If they continue as-is without some type of revenue stream the company won't survive past July. GG Tommy, GG. You really owned them haters.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Sony Sega announces Mini Mega Drive II.
    The Mega Drive Mini 2 will include 50 Mega Drive and Mega CD titles, including arcade ports and what Sega describes as a “mysterious new work”.

The list of games confirmed for the console so far is as follows:

Silpheed (Mega CD)
    Shining Force CD (Mega CD)
    Sonic CD (Mega CD)
    Mansion of Hidden Souls (Mega CD)
    Popful Mail (Mega CD)
    Virtua Racing (Mega Drive)
    Bonanza Bros (Mega Drive)
    Shining in the Darkness (Mega Drive)
    Thunder Force IV (Mega Drive)
    Magical Taruruto (Mega Drive)
    Fantasy Zone (new Mega Drive port)
    The original Fantasy Zone was never released on the Mega Drive. The version on the Mega Drive 2 Mini is a new Mega Drive port based on its sequel, Super Fantasy Zone.

The Mega Drive Mini 2 will be released on October 27 in Japan and will cost ¥9,980 ($75). Sega has yet to confirm a western release.

KoopahTroopah on