As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    It looks like the Mega Drive 2 doesn't have a mini Sega CD, which is a disappointment.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Sony announces Mini Mega Drive II.
    The Mega Drive Mini 2 will include 50 Mega Drive and Mega CD titles, including arcade ports and what Sega describes as a “mysterious new work”.

The list of games confirmed for the console so far is as follows:

Silpheed (Mega CD)
    Shining Force CD (Mega CD)
    Sonic CD (Mega CD)
    Mansion of Hidden Souls (Mega CD)
    Popful Mail (Mega CD)
    Virtua Racing (Mega Drive)
    Bonanza Bros (Mega Drive)
    Shining in the Darkness (Mega Drive)
    Thunder Force IV (Mega Drive)
    Magical Taruruto (Mega Drive)
    Fantasy Zone (new Mega Drive port)
    The original Fantasy Zone was never released on the Mega Drive. The version on the Mega Drive 2 Mini is a new Mega Drive port based on its sequel, Super Fantasy Zone.

The Mega Drive Mini 2 will be released on October 27 in Japan and will cost ¥9,980 ($75). Sega has yet to confirm a western release.

Well, there are some good games in there, but it's a very...small amount compared to other minis.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Isn't 50 games about twice as many as what came on the Nintendo minis?

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    Isn't 50 games about twice as many as what came on the Nintendo minis?

Yeah, I missed the part that there were going to be 50 games and assumed it was just the ones shown there. Let's just blame covid brain or something.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Japan-only Mega Drive is starting to feel a bit weird, this is a system that definitely sold much better outside of the country. Unless Japan is eating up these minis in a way that other markets aren't.
    It looks like the Mega Drive 2 doesn't have a mini Sega CD, which is a disappointment.

There's some cosmetic-only attachments sold separately like the Tower of Power was for the mini 1. (It's literally called "Tower 2" despite not being a tower at all...)

img-tower01.png

They even include an expansion piece so you can connect your Mini 1, just like I did back in the day.

img-tower04.png

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I loved Silpheed in the day. Thunder Force is always welcome. Shining Force CD is great. Fantasy Zone is a weird series that I enjoyed. Popful Mail was fun!

This is a great list, I wish we'd get this here. But we wouldn't see it with a Working Designs translation, I'd guess.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Japan-only Mega Drive is starting to feel a bit weird, this is a system that definitely sold much better outside of the country. Unless Japan is eating up these minis in a way that other markets aren't.

Edit: forget what I found earlier, interview indicates that release *is* planned for the West, but could be quite a bit later due to chip shortage.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

There's some cosmetic-only attachments sold separately like the Tower of Power was for the mini 1. (It's literally called "Tower 2" despite not being a tower at all...)

img-tower01.png

They even include an expansion piece so you can connect your Mini 1, just like I did back in the day.

img-tower04.png

Still pissed that we never got the original over here.

Anyway, who had this in the "threads I didn't expect to see get resurrected" betting pool?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Mansion of Hidden Souls is another classic, but let's get some Night Trap, then baby we got a stew going.

nt8.gif

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I got my replacement A500 mini in the mail. See if the controller works on this one.
    I never heard of Mansion of Hidden Souls.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Now, you got me looking at Sega CD games.
    https://retrododo.com/best-sega-cd-games/

Krathoon on
  • Options
    You might as well get the Night Trap remaster. It is like 10 times better and has a bunch of extras.
    I wish it was on gog.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    You might as well get the Night Trap remaster. It is like 10 times better and has a bunch of extras.
    I wish it was on gog.

I already own it. Twice over. (PS4 and Switch)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The JP Mega Drive Mini 2 is now preorderable.

• Options
    I upgraded my A500 Mini to firmware 1.1.1. Can I still flash it with PCUAAE?

• Options
    Yeah. Updating to 1.1.1 on the A500 mini prevents you from modding it. There is a neat little curated package to use with it out there though.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    The JP Mega Drive Mini 2 is now preorderable.

Still pisses me off how we got hosed over here on the original Tower of Power.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
  • Options
    That is a lot of Nintendo 64s.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    The Gebs has been entertaining me. She has been focusing on the A500 mini allot.

What is great about the Amiga is that there are all these weird little games on it. Lots of stuff lost to time.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    FS-UAE makes no damn sense. All I want to do is run a lha file. I can do it with no problems on a A500 mini.

• Options
    Ah, it sounds like FS-UAE has a directory button and a file button. It was not made obvious.

• Options
    30 best Amiga games.
    https://youtu.be/kCIV1wd6rjw

• Options
    Top ten Psygnosis Amiga games.
    https://youtu.be/9Wh45OSsiSI

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The bad news: the Intellivision Amoco is probably dead, since its trademark is now listed as "abandoned."

The good (?) news: some crypto bros have created the Polium One, a game console that will harness the power of Web3 to do... I dunno, a bunch of buzzwords?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The bad news: the Intellivision Amoco is probably dead, since its trademark is now listed as "abandoned."

The good (?) news: some crypto bros have created the Polium One, a game console that will harness the power of Web3 to do... I dunno, a bunch of buzzwords?

They actually filed a whole new one instead, so that shambling corpse of a grift is still going on, somehow.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Sega Mini 2, coming in hot. 10/27, over 50 games preloaded, Amazon exclusive, no price yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPGTxSHKDFI

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Really curious about the Sega CD games that make it on there.

• Options
    "The new Sega Genesis Mini 2 is here"

No it isn't.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Really hope we get Lunar 1 & 2 on this. Such superb RPGs.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    oe9yw0nuggee.jpeg

Enhance 224 to 176. Enhance, stop. Move in, stop. Pull out, track right, stop. Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

70xz6gvn2gur.jpeg

Enhance 34 to 36. Pan right and pull back. Stop. Enhance 34 to 46. Pull back. Wait a minute, go right, stop. Enhance 57 to 19. Track 45 left. Stop. Enhance 15 to 23. Give me a hard copy right there.

pidae8ctguow.jpeg

So that's Afterburner confirmed then!

• Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    Is it weird that I'd like to get the Genesis Mini 2 when I had no interest whatsoever in the first one? I had the Genesis 2 when I was a kid, and I always thought the first model looked janky as hell. The first Genesis Mini didn't hit me with the same nostalgia wave that this new one does, even though the games list is completely different between the two. I never had a Sega CD, so the games on this model would all be new to me. Truth be told, I only had a small handful of games for that Genesis, so the library isn't something I'm super knowledgable about or attached to. Hell, the game I played the most was MetalHead on 32X, but when you have five games as an 8 year old, you play those games.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Not weird at all, that model pushes the nostalgia buttons for you and that's a substantial part of the mini consoles' appeal.

I'm curious why you thought (not sure if you still do) the first model looked so janky though.

Jazz on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    The currently announced games are nice, though outside of a couple I'm not sure if I'd get it myself.
    After Burner 2
    Alien Soldier
    Bonanza Brothers
    Fantasy Zone (new Genesis port, previously released on Master System)
    Lightening Force
    Mansion of Hidden Souls (Sega CD)
    Night Striker (Sega CD)
    Ninja Warriors (Sega CD)
    OutRun
    OutRunners
    Rainbow Islands Extra
    Rolling Thunder 2
    Shining Force CD (Sega CD)
    Shining in the Darkness
    Silpheed (Sega CD)
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic CD (Sega CD)
    Splatterhouse 2
    Star Mobile (new Genesis port, previously released on PC Engine)
    Super Hang On
    The Ooze
    Vectorman 2
    Virtua Racing

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Not weird at all, that model pushes the nostalgia buttons for you and that's a substantial part of the mini consoles' appeal.

I'm curious why you thought (not sure if you still do) the first model looked so janky though.

When I was a kid, the second model Genesis, the one I had, looked very sleek. There was no extra crap on it. It looked like a high end piece of AV equipment of the time. The first model Genesis looked like it had a lot of extra bits and bobs super glued on to make it look complicated or high tech. The first one looked more ungainly to me at the time, and the second one looked more streamlined.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    ouchies wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

When I was a kid, the second model Genesis, the one I had, looked very sleek. There was no extra crap on it. It looked like a high end piece of AV equipment of the time. The first model Genesis looked like it had a lot of extra bits and bobs super glued on to make it look complicated or high tech. The first one looked more ungainly to me at the time, and the second one looked more streamlined.

As someone who only had the Genesis 2 model growing up, I pretty much agree with this.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I think the significant asymmetry of the model 1 was a big factor in why people might have considered it to look janky.

• Options
    The Genesis 2 game list is so far identical to the Japan release of the Mega Drive 2.

I wonder if they are just slapping an English box on a Japanese product and you'll have to pick English from a startup menu.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The Genesis 2 game list is so far identical to the Japan release of the Mega Drive 2.

I wonder if they are just slapping an English box on a Japanese product and you'll have to pick English from a startup menu.

Not quite, as there are some differences in each version:

So the US exclusive titles are:

- Rainbow Islands Extra
    - Rolling Thunder 2
    - Vectorman 2
    - Sonic 3D Blast
    - Outrunners
    - Super Hang-On
    - The Ooze

Where as the Japanese exclusives seem to be:

- Columns 3
    - Popful Mail
    - Magical Taruruto-Kun
    - Megapanel
    - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
    - Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I wish they would pick some of the weird stuff.
    Like the Sega CD Eternal Champions.