Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    They should go the full nine and put stuff like Night Trap on there. I wonder if Working Designs has the rights to the Lunar games, which complicates things?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I wish they would pick some of the weird stuff.
    Like the Sega CD Eternal Champions.

Hellfire, Gynoug/Wings of Wor, Sol-Feace, the Sega CD version of Snatcher in English...

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    They should go the full nine and put stuff like Night Trap on there. I wonder if Working Designs has the rights to the Lunar games, which complicates things?

I imagine Vic Ireland does, but he hasn't been heard from in a few years after talking about health issues on GaijinWorks' forums.

Other fun Sega CD curveball suggestions that probably won't make it on there for various reasons:

Batman Returns - the driving sequences are fun, the platformer bits are just the Genesis game with CD music
    Dark Wizard - strategy RPG with hex-based maps
    Ecco the Dolphin - it's got some extra stages, and I remember the music being pretty good
    Final Fight CD - the only version of Final Fight with some voice acting, also has a pretty good soundtrack for that era
    Heart of the Alien - Another World/Out of This World sequel
    Road Avenger - basically a laserdisc game except in a car, aka Road Blaster in arcades
    The Terminator - not bad at all, just difficult

It would be nice for them to get some of the Working Designs stuff on there...but honestly, WD really messed with some of those games in a bad way at times. I tried playing through Popful Mail a few years ago and found it very frustrating. Turns out WD had made it a lot grindier than the JP version. I finally played through it last month using a patch that restored it to the more balanced Japanese difficulty and enjoyed it a lot more.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    All this talk about the ugliness of the Genesis model 1 and the superiority of the Genesis model 2 has me thinking ... I have no clue which one I had. I know I had a Genesis as a kid. I was obsessed with the X-Men and needed those X-Men games. But do I remember the model 1 because I had it, or because of all those hours playing Sonic 2 on my cousin's Genesis, who had it way before me?

• Options
    We only had the model 1 in my household and we liked it!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The American model of the Megadrive is cosmetically inferior to the European and Japanese model. Fight me IRL.
    It's completely natural I'd feel this away, given that I'm not an American. I think the "Genesis" is actually more convenient from a space standpoint, but I do think it's a bit of an eyesore compared to the less exaggerated, more utilitarian look of the Megadrive

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I really hope Popful Mail doesn't stay exclusive to the Japan edition. That game is really fun.

Also Lunar 1 & 2 and the Sega CD version of Ecco was kinda fantastic. Speaking of, I cannot remember, were any of the Ecco games on the first one?

Edit: The first Mini did have several games that were surprises due to licensing and such like Castle of Illusion. So I hope this one has a couple of neat surprises like that. Maybe X-Men 1 & 2 or Jurassic Park. The Genesis had some really neat licensed games at the time.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The American model of the Megadrive is cosmetically inferior to the European and Japanese model. Fight me IRL.
    It's completely natural I'd feel this away, given that I'm not an American. I think the "Genesis" is actually more convenient from a space standpoint, but I do think it's a bit of an eyesore compared to the less exaggerated, more utilitarian look of the Megadrive

Agreed - and the Japanese original one with the red detailing, blue reset button, and cooler "16-BIT" font was the pick of the pack. It's so gloriously early '90s, which is a little forward-looking for a machine released in the late '80s.

And I loved the asymmetry of the original, it all added to the very distinctive aesthetic.

Jazz on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I really hope Popful Mail doesn't stay exclusive to the Japan edition. That game is really fun.

Also Lunar 1 & 2 and the Sega CD version of Ecco was kinda fantastic. Speaking of, I cannot remember, were any of the Ecco games on the first one?

Edit: The first Mini did have several games that were surprises due to licensing and such like Castle of Illusion. So I hope this one has a couple of neat surprises like that. Maybe X-Men 1 & 2 or Jurassic Park. The Genesis had some really neat licensed games at the time.

X-Men and Jurassic Park on Genesis was my jam. Need to be able to play those again.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I would pay good money for a Working Design collection. Ideally, it would feature:

Cadash
    Lunar: SS (Sega CD + PS)
    Lunar: EB (Sega CD + PS)
    Popful Mail
    Magic Knight: Rayearth
    Albert Odyssey
    Dragon Force
    RayStorm
    RayCrisis
    Alundra
    Arc the Lad Collection

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That sounds like a licensing nightmare, but yeah, I would too.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Here is a little PS1 gem. Vanark.
    https://youtu.be/AlZ5tjKJXAM

Some more gems you don't here about.
    Evil Dead: Hail to the King
    https://youtu.be/qMZQYKJ6bSI

Crypt Killer
    https://youtu.be/1rZ0N8VBfMQ

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Sometimes, the PS1 versions of games are better than the PC versions. You don't have to mess with installation.
    Also, the video clip quality seems to be better.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Loved this game on Dreamcast. I'm sure the PS1 version was good too.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    skeldare wrote: »

Loved this game on Dreamcast. I'm sure the PS1 version was good too.

Ah. I did not know there was a Dreamcast version. There is also a PC version.
    It was actually a pretty tight sequel to the movies. It totally does not make sense why he goes back to the cabin.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Agreed - and the Japanese original one with the red detailing, blue reset button, and cooler "16-BIT" font was the pick of the pack. It's so gloriously early '90s, which is a little forward-looking for a machine released in the late '80s.

And I loved the asymmetry of the original, it all added to the very distinctive aesthetic.

When I was a stupid kid, I liked Genesis Model 2 more because "it looked more like the Super NES."

Yep, that was the beginning and the end of that logic for me.

These days, I really prefer the Model 1, and have an early one, along with my original Model 2.

Now I just want to get a Model 1 SEGA CD to go underneath, because honestly, I love the look of the whole thing together. I just wish a) the SEGA CD had the LED readouts that the Mega CD had, and 2) they were real and not just painted on.

Side note: I'm still pissed at how SEGA of America handled the whole "Tower of Power" thing over here. I'd go for the Japanese one, except 1) they're probably sold out and expensive AF right now, and b) I just really like the SEGA CD logo on the front more, and when this is purely about aesthetics...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I imagine Vic Ireland does, but he hasn't been heard from in a few years after talking about health issues on GaijinWorks' forums.

Other fun Sega CD curveball suggestions that probably won't make it on there for various reasons:

Batman Returns - the driving sequences are fun, the platformer bits are just the Genesis game with CD music
    Dark Wizard - strategy RPG with hex-based maps
    Ecco the Dolphin - it's got some extra stages, and I remember the music being pretty good
    Final Fight CD - the only version of Final Fight with some voice acting, also has a pretty good soundtrack for that era
    Heart of the Alien - Another World/Out of This World sequel
    Road Avenger - basically a laserdisc game except in a car, aka Road Blaster in arcades
    The Terminator - not bad at all, just difficult

It would be nice for them to get some of the Working Designs stuff on there...but honestly, WD really messed with some of those games in a bad way at times. I tried playing through Popful Mail a few years ago and found it very frustrating. Turns out WD had made it a lot grindier than the JP version. I finally played through it last month using a patch that restored it to the more balanced Japanese difficulty and enjoyed it a lot more.

I own most of those, and they're fantastic games, but I would definitely get the mini if they included them on general principle.

Heart of the Alien is especially underrated, and I don't think it's ever been ported to anything else because the creator disavowed it since he had nothing to do with it.

Road Avenger's a classic, too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Growing up I was completely a Nintendo kid, and I wasn't even aware that the model 2 was a second model. I thought that was just the genesis. I was very confused when I saw a model one for the first time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Nothing threw me harder than when I saw the top loader NES for the first time as a kid

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Nothing threw me harder than when I saw the top loader NES for the first time as a kid
    I never even saw one in person. Everyone I knew with an NES had the OG VCR style. I don't think I learned of the top loader (and its different controllers) until years later from a magazine or something. By the time it released, we had mostly moved on to the 16-bit consoles. Any NES playing was just games we already had when we were bored of our 16-bit games.

forty on
  • Options
    Late model Nintendo console revisions always surprise me, like the second version of the SNES

369p0xclrsr5.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The sliding buttons on the SNES were the best part?? Why

• Options
    The sliding buttons on the SNES were the best part?? Why

Hell, I was bummed when they started making the SNES cartridges that didn't lock in when you turned on the system.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The Model 1 Genesis looks like it was made in the 80's. The Model 2 looks like it was made in the 90's.

"Well no shit Sherlock" you might say, seeing as that's literally true. Still, the Model 1 just has an uber clear 80's aethetic to it. A fact that still breaks my mind, because I associate the Genesis as the opposite of the SNES. The SNES came out in the early 90's, and I associate it as such. To remember that the dang Genesis came out in 1988 wigs me out.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Something about the volume slider on the Genesis 1 tickles my brain.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Late model Nintendo console revisions always surprise me, like the second version of the SNES

369p0xclrsr5.jpg

I have never seen this model of the SNES in person. I saw it for sale in a store exactly one time in 1997. I remember it was 1997 because it was when I was buying my copy of Goldeneye 007 for the N64. At the time, I remember thinking it was very svelte, and now I’m struck just by the novelty of that thing.

I’ve seen two NES top-loaders in person, and I sort of like the look of it. It sort of looks like alt-history 80s, and not the 80s that we actually lived through. It would fit in nicely with the aesthetic in the Control game or the Loki tv show.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    The Model 1 Genesis looks like it was made in the 80's. The Model 2 looks like it was made in the 90's.

"Well no shit Sherlock" you might say, seeing as that's literally true. Still, the Model 1 just has an uber clear 80's aethetic to it. A fact that still breaks my mind, because I associate the Genesis as the opposite of the SNES. The SNES came out in the early 90's, and I associate it as such. To remember that the dang Genesis came out in 1988 wigs me out.

It was very much the "opposite" of the SNES, in terms of being the same generation of hardware - in fact the Mega Drive and Super Famicom launched two years apart in 1988 and 1990 in Japan, and renamed as Genesis and SNES, launched in North America in 1989 and 1991 respectively. The really weird bit, certainly from my perspective, is to think they only hit Europe officially (the Sega machine reverting back to the Mega Drive name) in 1990 and 1992*. By that point, both machines (and others of the era, like the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16) had been sold by so-called "grey" importers (many very reputable) since close to their Japanese launches, and already been covered extensively by the magazines of the time - that also carried plenty of ads from the importer companies (checking out the British magazines of the era on the Internet Archive is something I'd highly recommend to any retro game fan, it's a fascinating period). The magazines would continue to cover import games which would often hit Japan and America well ahead of European releases, if they even got them at all (for example, very few JRPGs got European releases in this period, especially on the Nintendo side; meaning Europe and the UK didn't get any Final Fantasy titles until FF7 on the PlayStation, for example - although Sega did release the Phantasy Star series and a few others), and defeating the region locks on the consoles was obviously pretty common when you faced either a lengthy wait for a game release, or it not getting an official release at all.

It's hard to overstate the effect that the industry change to simultaneous (or at least near-simultaneous) worldwide releases has had on particularly European gamers - for so long we were very much treated as an afterthought by console makers. Just one more reason the home microcomputer scene (Spectrum, C64, etc in the 8-bit era, later the 16-bit ST & Amiga) continued to dominate here until the PC and PlayStation took over in the mid-'90s (although, to be fair, the Mega Drive and SNES did lay far more groundwork for the consoles to come than the Master System and NES did here - the latter in particular was little more than a footnote here).

* - SNES launching in Europe a mere two years before the PlayStation and Saturn launched in Japan is still mind-blowing to me.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Now I'm trying to remember how old I was when I first played a Genesis. I know I got my NES when I was in 5th grade, so that was 1987 (and I'd been playing it for the past year or two at other friends' houses). I'm guessing I first played the Genesis at a store. A friend of mine got a Genesis in either 1989 or 1990. We didn't get one in my household until around 1993.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Sonic didn't hit until 1991, which really blew up the Genesis in the U.S. as a pack-in game. So in that sense they were practically contemporaries with the 1991 SNES release.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Sonic didn't hit until 1991, which really blew up the Genesis in the U.S. as a pack-in game. So in that sense they were practically contemporaries with the 1991 SNES release.

Yeah, Sonic blew the doors off in the UK as well. (Considering what I said previously about delayed releases in different regions, it's worth noting that Sonic arrived in UK & Europe very quickly by the standards of the time, the month after the US release.)

Consider that the previous pack-in game was Altered Beast, and, well... yeah. Kinda easy to see how it gave the machine a huge boost.

Jazz on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Once again, I'll recommend the shit out of Console Wars, a well-researched book about the Genesis and SNES days. It covers all the bases but the majority is about how Sega of America took Sega stuff from "oh hey, I guess this exists too" to something that beat Nintendo for a few years, to the bafflement of Sega of Japan. Absolutely fascinating stuff, and as a bonus it also chronicles the rise of the PlayStation in the background. Because while most people know the PlayStation sprang from the botched SNES CD add-on deal, it also has some strong, depressing ties to Sega as well.
    Essentially, to launch the PlayStation in the west, Sony hired away all the best talent from Sega, only to fire them all a year or so later.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I know my first time playing the Genesis was in a store. I believe it was a Shopko, and I believe it was Altered Beast, but I would have been about 8 back then so the memory is pretty fuzzy.

I know the first time I played it in a home was at my friend's house, where his parents rented a Model 1 from Blockbuster for the weekend, including Sonic 1, so that would have been in 1991.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    My family ended up getting a Genesis thanks to the following promotion:
    https://youtu.be/ytistojxzn4
    The only other game we bought for the system was Sonic Spinball, because shortly after that the Sega Channel launched and we subscribed to it.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    My family ended up getting a Genesis thanks to the following promotion:
    https://youtu.be/ytistojxzn4
    The only other game we bought for the system was Sonic Spinball, because shortly after that the Sega Channel launched and we subscribed to it.

I got a Sega Saturn thanks to the 'three free games' promotion, along with a NiGHTS bundle and Dragon Force.

Very busy holiday, that. :D

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I had the Model 1 with Sonic packin. My son has been collecting and has a Model 1 and 2. He bought the 2 specifically to go with the Model 2 Sega CD we're trying to repair.

• Options
    edited July 2022

This Tweet seems to imply the Lunar games (so both of them?) will be on the new Mini?

forty on
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    forty wrote: »

This Tweet seems to imply the Lunar games (so both of them?) will be on the new Mini?

If so, that will be the steal of a LIFETIME.

But uh, I wouldn't hold your breath for a US release....

But maybe they can get hacked with the US versions?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Yeah, might have to import the Japanese one, or do what you said.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    The following were just announced for Japan:
    Cartridge Titles
    Aah! Harimanada
    Alien Soldier
    Fatal Fury 2
    Gyuwanburaa Jikochuushin Ha Katayama Masayuki no Majong Dojo (comic Sumo game?)
    Spatter
    Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
    Tatsujin

SEGA / Mega CD Titles
    Final Fight CD
    Lunar: Eternal Blue
    Lunar: The Silver Star
    Wondermega Collection

A bit worried about where the rights are for Working Design's english translations. Not feeling confident about Lunar.

Surely Capcom has their act together enough for Final Fight, which is a great pick for Sega CD.

Didn't the Genesis Mini 1 let you flip between the separate Japanese and English libraries? Or was that only the Turbografx?

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    The following were just announced for Japan:
    Cartridge Titles
    Aah! Harimanada
    Alien Soldier
    Fatal Fury 2
    Gyuwanburaa Jikochuushin Ha Katayama Masayuki no Majong Dojo (comic Sumo game?)
    Spatter
    Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
    Tatsujin

SEGA / Mega CD Titles
    Final Fight CD
    Lunar: Eternal Blue
    Lunar: The Silver Star
    Wondermega Collection

A bit worried about where the rights are for Working Design's english translations. Not feeling confident about Lunar.

Surely Capcom has their act together enough for Final Fight, which is a great pick for Sega CD.

Didn't the Genesis Mini 1 let you flip between the separate Japanese and English libraries? Or was that only the Turbografx?

No idea on the Genesis, but the TG-16 definitely did(and even had different games whether you got a TG or a PCE).

Maybe they're holding off on announcing the WD games for last? Would be a heck of a coup...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png