Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I’d never buy one of those cabinets unless they could be easily hacked to add more games.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I’d never buy one of those cabinets unless they could be easily hacked to add more games.

I don't know about easily, but it's doable. That said, I've seen arcades with the cabs that have more games that I could ever play in a lifetime, I don't mind having one with a narrower focus.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    To be fair, 8 games is significantly more than you usually get in an Arcade1Up cabinet. But you'd better really like a bunch of similar fighting games because that's all you're getting.

That said, I'd personally still never sink hundreds into something so limited.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I really like the idea of having an arcade cabinet in my house, and I'm sure it's probably trivial to load up other roms/emus on these devices, but I do worry the novelty will wear off, and I'll just want to play those games on the 65" TV while sitting on the couch with a wireless gamepad.

That being said, the MVC2 cab is the most tempting, since it has cool art and plenty of buttons. Visually, the Pac-Man cabinet is the most appealing to me, but it's lacking the necessary inputs for all the games I would want to add.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's not trivial, but it's doable. But honestly, I have a kid and I'd love to have one for her to play around with as well. This being a series of games I put an absurd amount of time into makes it all the better for me.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    If I had the room I would have bought the Star Wars cabinet. That thing is super specialized and I wouldn't have cared at the least if it didn't run any other game.

I swear I put in almost as much quarters into it to buy one. It was the one arcade I would play any time I saw it in the arcades.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I feel like I'm being targeted
    6p6k49ryl6if.jpg

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
      So take this with a grain of salt, but Victor Ireland himself reached out to me via DM on twitter after I tagged him about the Lunars on the Genesis mini.

He said I can't quote him verbatim, but he said that, basically, Sega of Japan aren't offering enough money to make it worthwhile, since they only want to pay a flat fee to get as many games on there as possible without offering royalties, and they're confident it'll sell out anyway, so they're not eager to go overboard more than they have to.
      (Sadly, they're probably right.)

Still, he said not to give up hope, so maybe there's a chance.

wVEsyIc.png
    • Options
      KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
      Must, resist, $599 MvsC2 cabinet...

• Options
      SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
      edited August 2022
      EDIT: Nope, I'm dumb, we're talking about completely different things, @KoopahTroopah.

i6764p7epzz8.png

So...does anyone have any experience with the "second wave" update that came out more than a year ago? It looks like SNK/the manufacturers at least listened to some of the customer feedback (bad buttons), and made a very small effort to correct them, while not impeding any user-end solutions (if anything, the cabinet seems even easier to take apart to access the sticks and buttons, and it's still hackable).

Assuming it's not flat-out unusable (I'm really not a button connoisseur, I'd be more worried about the sticks, and you can change the retaining plate underneath pretty easily if you can find something that actually fits the current sticks), I would absolutely buy the combo for my study next time they're on sale (which seems like one of those things that's inevitable, given this sort of niche high-cost product).

Synthesis on
    • Options
      SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
      They announced a few more titles for the JP Genesis Mini 2 a few days ago.

Cartridge Titles
      Gain Ground
      Phantasy Star II
      Populous
      Sorcerian
      Tougi Ou: King Colossus
      Viewpoint

SEGA / Mega CD Titles
      Ecco the Dolphin CD
      Robo Aleste
      Romance of the Three Kingdoms III
      Shin Megami Tensei
      Tenka Fubu: Eiyuu-tachi no Houkou

I have played Tougi Ou: King Colossus and I found it to be a very enjoyable action RPG. I played it about 2-3 years ago using a fan translation patch.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsnZzWS6Y10

• Options
      rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
      Note that "Ecco the Dolphin CD" supposedly contains 1 & 2 as they released as a bundle in Japan.

• Options
      KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
      edited August 2022
      The international neo geo mini has some extra shooters compared to the holiday edition. I need to contrast and compare.

Krathoon on
    • Options
      Since the odds of getting the WD games seem to be slim-to-none, is it safe to assume that Genesis mini hacking is more on point than the NG mini? (In that it's an actual thing?)

wVEsyIc.png
    • Options
      cj iwakura wrote: »
      Since the odds of getting the WD games seem to be slim-to-none, is it safe to assume that Genesis mini hacking is more on point than the NG mini? (In that it's an actual thing?)

There are two Genesis Mini hacking methods: hakchi and Project Lunar. I'm vaguely affiliated with the group that does Project Lunar, but there haven't been any updates on it since the pandemic. Not sure how hakchi is with the Genesis Mini. Honestly, I'm not even sure how Project Lunar is with it either since I do not have a Genesis Mini.

• Options
      SteevL wrote: »

There are two Genesis Mini hacking methods: hakchi and Project Lunar. I'm vaguely affiliated with the group that does Project Lunar, but there haven't been any updates on it since the pandemic. Not sure how hakchi is with the Genesis Mini. Honestly, I'm not even sure how Project Lunar is with it either since I do not have a Genesis Mini.

Kind of ironic that the only one I bought is the one with no headway on a hack. :P Not that I regret it, even with just what's out the box, the TG16 mini's great.

wVEsyIc.png
    • Options

Kind of ironic that the only one I bought is the one with no headway on a hack. :P Not that I regret it, even with just what's out the box, the TG16 mini's great.

Yeah, I think the Project Lunar team was on the verge of properly getting a hack for the TG-16 Mini. They were waiting for folder support in Project Lunar, and then a very similar hack could be applied to the TG-16 Mini, and then the pandemic happened, people had to take care of their families, and it's been stalled ever since as people moved on.

• Options

Yeah, I think the Project Lunar team was on the verge of properly getting a hack for the TG-16 Mini. They were waiting for folder support in Project Lunar, and then a very similar hack could be applied to the TG-16 Mini, and then the pandemic happened, people had to take care of their families, and it's been stalled ever since as people moved on.

Is the Project Lunar team still doing things, or gearing up for the mini 2?

wVEsyIc.png
    • Options

Is the Project Lunar team still doing things, or gearing up for the mini 2?

I haven't noticed any activity from them recently, unfortunately.

• Options
      LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
      Thread title was due for an update. Anyone got anything better?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    • Options
      The Only Lunar Coming To The Mini2 Will Be The Hack

wVEsyIc.png
    • Options
      NFL blitz was confirmed today for the next Arcade1up cabinet. Apparently they're doing a bunch of changes to get rid of late hits and some of the more harsh hits. It feels weird... probably the right thing, but also at that point why bother? I dunno.

At least this all but confirms the leak from earlier this year. Just waiting for Time Crisis now.

• Options
      Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
      Lmao removing late hits defeats the point entirely, that was easily the most satisfying part of the game

• Options
      shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
      The Real NFL lies about the fatal trauma that they KNEW their activity was causing for DECADES. But videogames can't pretend to have a comically violent over the top version for funsies. Sure, that's ethical.

• Options
      Shadowfire wrote: »
      NFL blitz was confirmed today for the next Arcade1up cabinet. Apparently they're doing a bunch of changes to get rid of late hits and some of the more harsh hits.
      WTF!? It's a video game. What a terrible decision and a way to ensure reduced sales. Unless it's some dumb thing the NFL forced on them in order to license it, in which case, just scrap the idea.

• Options
      edited August 2022
      forty wrote: »
      NFL blitz was confirmed today for the next Arcade1up cabinet. Apparently they're doing a bunch of changes to get rid of late hits and some of the more harsh hits.
      WTF!? It's a video game. What a terrible decision and a way to ensure reduced sales. Unless it's some dumb thing the NFL forced on them in order to license it, in which case, just scrap the idea.

It's absolutely a demand from the NFL.

Edit for source.

Shadowfire on
    • Options
      1041132.jpg?b64lines=VE9TUyBJVCBJTiBUSEUgR0FSQkFHRS4=

• Options
      DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      At least this all but confirms the leak from earlier this year. Just waiting for Time Crisis now.

Any word on which games would be included?

• Options
      Sega Genesis Mini 2 full games list revealed

Regular Genesis games:
      • After Burner II
      • Alien Soldier
      • Atomic Runner
      • Bonanza Bros.
      • ClayFighter
      • Crusader of Centy
      • Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
      • Earthworm Jim 2
      • Elemental Master
      • Fatal Fury 2
      • Gain Ground
      • Golden Axe II
      • Granada
      • Hellfire
      • Herzog Zwei
      • Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar
      • Midnight Resistance
      • OutRun
      • OutRunners
      • Phantasy Star II
      • Populous
      • RAINBOW ISLANDS -EXTRA-
      • Ranger-X
      • Ristar
      • ROLLING THUNDER 2
      • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
      • Shining Force II
      • Shining in the Darkness
      • Sonic 3D Blast
      • SPLATTERHOUSE 2
      • Streets of Rage 3
      • Super Hang-On
      • SUPER STREET FIGHTER II THE NEW CHALLENGERS
      • The Ooze
      • The Revenge of Shinobi
      • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
      • Truxton
      • VectorMan 2
      • Viewpoint
      • Virtua Racing
      • Warsong

Sega CD:
      • Ecco the Dolphin (CD Ver.)
      • Ecco: The Tides of Time (CD Ver.)
      • Final Fight CD
      • Mansion of Hidden Souls
      • NIGHT STRIKER
      • Night Trap
      • Robo Aleste
      • Sewer Shark
      • Shining Force CD
      • SILPHEED
      • Sonic The Hedgehog CD
      • THE NINJA WARRIORS

Bonus games:
      • Devi & Pii – Paddle-style game developed by Takashi Iizuka in 1993, before he developed Sonic 3. Iizuka-san designed the game, characters, and sprites. The game never released.
      • Fantasy Zone – New port from the same team who ported Darius for the original Genesis Mini.
      • Space Harrier II (+Space Harrier) – New ports using the sprite zoom function!
      • Spatter – M2 “hobby” port of a small arcade game released by SEGA in 1984. The game was created by the graphic designer of Flicky.
      • Star Mobile – Puzzle game developed by Mindware in 1992; it was completed at the time, but never released.
      • Super Locomotive – M2 “hobby” port of a small arcade game released by SEGA in 1982.
      • VS Puyo Puyo Sun – “Demake” of Puyo Puyo Sun, only featuring VS mode, with new rules not found in the original version.

Some good games in there, but certainly there are disappointments, especially with the Sega CD lineup!

Pretty cool to see Warsong in the Genesis list, though.

• Options
      shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
      https://youtu.be/FQfjjlt13Ss
      A video they released so you can see a bit of each game.

• Options
      [*] Space Harrier II (+Space Harrier) – New ports using the sprite zoom function!

This is deeply weird but I'm here for it.

Kind of a shame they didn't touch up the Sonic 3 rom with the origins music to be releaseable.

• Options
      Warsong is a nice get indeed, I own most of the heavy hitters though.

wVEsyIc.png
    • Options
      JazzJazz Registered User regular
      edited August 2022
      Despite the obvious disappointments, there's some nice deep cuts in there; Hellfire is an underrated gem, and Super Hang-On was even better than the arcade version.

Kinda sad I'm not gonna be able to get one of those now.

Edit: and I see Out Run has once again had to have the main car sprite re-edited because Ferrari gonna Ferrari about licensing.

Jazz on
    • Options
      Apparently this made my info from Ireland go viral from people looking for answers, lol. (Despite some skepticism)

wVEsyIc.png
    • Options
      LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
      edited August 2022
      Wow, so not only is Canada still not getting it, but Japan's getting the North American version as well!

I'd honestly be less irritated by and even respect SEGA's apparent "fuck Canada" approach if they just came out and said it.

Btw, @MNC Dover, just wanted to let you know that I seem to be covered right now. I'm just pissed that it's necessary at all.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
      qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    • Options
      BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
      Seems like you are not alone if I am reading Jazz's post right.

Also, I love how the price for Amazon keeps on dropping slowly (going to guess exchange rate). It was $99.99 yesterday. My pre-order didn't say it was price guarantee so I just reordered it. Cancelled my Amazon Japan order since that one isn't going down. Guess if I wanted to help anyone get one (outside of the US) I would have to buy an Amazon Japan one.

oosik_betsuni.png
      Steam: betsuni7
    • Options
      JazzJazz Registered User regular
      Definitely not alone :disappointed:

• Options
      edited August 2022
      Now here's a mini I can get behind:

This machine has quite a few incredible arcade conversions, and it's challenging to get a hold of, or make any sense of, outside Japan. I don't even know the name of any good emulators outside of the Mister! Hopefully they can score some great software and make a friendly GUI to navigate. Even if you can't read a single character, trial and error through any kind of GUI menu with pictures/symbols sure beats messing with a command line.

rahkeesh2000 on
    • Options
      X68000 is also known for having that Castlevania game which was ported to PS1 as Castlevania Chronicles.

• Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Wow, so not only is Canada still not getting it, but Japan's getting the North American version as well!

I'd honestly be less irritated by and even respect SEGA's apparent "fuck Canada" approach if they just came out and said it.

Btw, "MNC Dover", just wanted to let you know that I seem to be covered right now. I'm just pissed that it's necessary at all.

OK cool. If that falls through, let me know and I'll try and order a unit for you.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page