Plug 'n Play Paradise - TurboGrafx-16 mini Delayed, No Points for Guessing Why

1666768697072»

• JazzJazz Fuck cancer. Un-UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 22
    Yeah, they didn't get the entire intended production run out, apparently, but they did get some out there. :+1:

Jazz on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Have you guys added extra games to your SNES minis?

Steam: offday
    XBL and PSN: AnOffday
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

Yeah, I've added a few.
    Roughly 1800.

Capt HowdyKreutzDark Raven X
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Yeah, I've added a few.
    Roughly 1800.

Wow, I finally just added some more rpgs to it to turn it into a nice little 16 bit jrpg machine.

You had to add some kind of storage to it, right?

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

About 20. More before I removed the Sega MD games to put on my Megadrive Mini.

I might take the Neo Geo and other arcade games off as well, since the Megadrive's six-button controller D-pad seems a lot more usable than what we get on the SNES controller (for circular motions anyway).

Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
    Nice.

I also picked up a genesis mini and barely touched it. I'm assuming we can do some stuff with that one as well?

SteevL wrote: »

Yeah, I've added a few.
    Roughly 1800.

Wow, I finally just added some more rpgs to it to turn it into a nice little 16 bit jrpg machine.

You had to add some kind of storage to it, right?

Yeah, I use external expanded storage (SD card with an OTG adapter). It's kind of ridiculous, but I've had fun doing this over the last two years or so.

IIRC I've got about 45 extra games on my SNES Classic. Just enough to fill one folder to its limit on the stock UI.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    IIRC I've got about 45 extra games on my SNES Classic. Just enough to fill one folder to its limit on the stock UI.

Yeah I think I only added like 15. Only games I know I'll play more than once, and I really don't want to lose the stock UI. It's too nice.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Jazz
    I've been leaning more on the snes mini and roms in general lately. As much as I love my actual snes and games, I've lost a couple save files in the past year to link to the past and then DKC, and it was enough to say maybe it's time to put at least my more serious or longer playthroughs on the mini.

edited March 22
    Yeah, while it's certainly doable, the SNES Mini makes a pretty poor comprehensive Neo Geo machine, between the storage constraints (not really an issue if you settle on just 10 or so games) and the controller, which is not great for Neo Geo titles. I think the Megadrive controller is a bit more suitable, but I'd have to test that out, and I wouldn't have dove into the world of RetroPie if it weren't for the issues with SNES Mini's limitations.

Synthesis on
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I always thought hakchi with the otg external storage was pretty simple to do.

Of course I did have a couple of adapters apparently just die.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

About 20. More before I removed the Sega MD games to put on my Megadrive Mini.

I might take the Neo Geo and other arcade games off as well, since the Megadrive's six-button controller D-pad seems a lot more usable than what we get on the SNES controller (for circular motions anyway).

This brought to mind a question: Sonic 3 & Knuckles is, of course, the best way to play, but Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles each have their own individual charms as well.

Is there a way to make the two link together on the mini, or would I need three ROMs in order to get everything (or four for Knuckles in Sonic 2, I guess)?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The answer is Sonic 3 Complete. One ROM, a bazillion options, including playing the games separately and together, or bringing back various 3 touches like the original music to 3&K.

Lindsay LohanKoopahTroopah
    edited March 24
    And that works in this thing? Awesome.

In other news, The Verge got one of the PC Engine minis.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    KoopahTroopahJazz
    If the Genesis Plus GX emulator will play it, there's no reason it wouldn't play the MD Mini.

Synthesis wrote:

And that works in this thing? Awesome.

In other news, The Verge got one of the PC Engine minis.

It's so beautiful.

edited March 24
    Here's some video capture of the PCE mini + a quick teardown. Apparently its the same hardware as the Genesis/MD mini, which should be way more than enough for PCE emulation.

rahkeesh2000 on
    Jazz
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 25
    I'm hoping I can discuss this since I know there are some minis out there playing the stuff my PlayStation Classic is. Has anyone played the arcade version of Hook? It's batnuts crazy. The bosses are really nice big sprites, you can cut ropes and drop stuff on enemies, and it feels like one fun surprise after another. I'm shocked at how decent it is.

Lindsay Lohan on
    Shadowfire
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I'm hoping I can discuss this since I know there are some minis out there playing the stuff my PlayStation Classic is. Has anyone played the arcade version of Hook? It's batnuts crazy. The bosses are really nice big sprites, you can cut ropes and drop stuff on enemies, and it feels like one fun surprise after another. I'm shocked at how decent it is.
    I didn't not realize this existed. Looks neat!

The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
    edited March 26
    Watching MLIG livestream of PCE mini and they are getting nitpicky about the lack of any mild interpolation to combat shimmering, uneven scanlines, significant sound delay. I guess stuff you should expect from M.2 after the Genesis Mini but just some caution for perfectionists.

rahkeesh2000 on
    If sound delay is significant, is that really a nitpick?

If it's on par with the Genesis Mini, I'll take it.

forty
    I don't really judge, actually I'm pretty pissed about the shimmering. On the genesis mini you could at least pick a straight 3x scale that avoided shimmering on 320px games. Many of the games they showed off here had obvious shimmering even trying all of the different scaling modes, as well as uneven scanlines. If they weren't going to mess with interpolation they should've at least offered a mode that 3x'd the pixels exactly regardless of game resolution. I just know some here aren't going to want to obsess over this stuff and I'm not trying to piss in their cheerios, but letting people who are interested know what's going on.

Anyway if you want to peruse the archive of the 4 hour livestream(!), you can skip the unboxing/setup to see gameplay start around 31:49. They have a lot of fun/cool things to say but you will hear some nitpicking about the shimmer here and there.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I wonder if part of the decline is how easy they are to hack these. Although I think it comes down to the quality. Truth is, if you own one, you can run all the games the others do.

I think it's quality myself but who knows.

My Life in Gaming's 20-minute review of the PC-Engine Mini:

(I haven't watched it in full yet)