As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    I saw a PC Engine Duo (Japanese version of the Turbo Duo, of course) go for not stupid money on eBay the other day! It was even nice and not scratched up! My finger was seriously twitching but I managed to hold off. It's the thought of how much it would cost to keep the thing fed with games. And it still wasn't cheap, just... not as daft as they usually are.

I can't remember the last time I saw a US Turbo Duo on there, though. Still stings that I don't have mine any more. The absolute pride and joy of my retro console collection when I was in the US. And it did make me chuckle that it was always the one that got the "what's that?" reaction.

But I would love one day to run my fingers over those sensuous, sleek, ever-so-'90s lines again, some day. That's on my "if I win the lottery" list.

Yeah, I bet all the TurboDuos are now in collections and will not see the light of day again...

:sad:

I bet you'll get an e-mail from Amazon soon saying that your mini delivery date is changing. Yours did take longer to be "uh, we have no idea when this will ship" than ours did.

I bet I'll get the one saying "estimated delivery date: December 31st"...

When one of you guys gets your TG-16 we're going to need a hilarious photo of it with other minis, showing how massive it is by comparison. By my estimation it should be at least the size of the SNES and Genesis put together, and then some!

I still don't have a Genesis... Was waiting for it to go sub $50 for some strange reason.

I like mine aesthetically more than my Euro SNES, but the Megadrive Mini has a rather odd "bug": any sort of Hakchi modding breaks Alisia Dragoon.

Granted, you could just upload your own working version of the game. But still.

• un_run_r San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Of course they move the delivery date to May immediately after I gave up and got a PC-Engine mini from Amazon Japan.

un_r on
    3DS : 1048-8983-0850
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    My TG-16 is now May 26.

I don't really miss my Duo. It had the audio capacitors die, which is very common with Duos, and I was very unlikely to ever actually fix it myself.

I sold off nearly all of my older hardware and games a few years ago and was very happy with the extra space and with the amount of money it brought in, though I am very careful not to look at retro auctions these days. I got over $400 for one SegaCD game and thought I was robbing the guy blind, and the last time I made the mistake of looking it was going for upwards of 5k.

Which game was that?

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I remember as a kid the tg16 being discounted to like $70 and coming with 10 games. Always wanted that as a kid.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My TG-16 is now May 26.

I don't really miss my Duo. It had the audio capacitors die, which is very common with Duos, and I was very unlikely to ever actually fix it myself.

I sold off nearly all of my older hardware and games a few years ago and was very happy with the extra space and with the amount of money it brought in, though I am very careful not to look at retro auctions these days. I got over $400 for one SegaCD game and thought I was robbing the guy blind, and the last time I made the mistake of looking it was going for upwards of 5k.

Which game was that?

I shouldn't have read this because Panzer Dragoon Saga is now over a grand. I sold that for $400 a couple years ago.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    un_r wrote: »
    Of course they move the delivery date to May immediately after I gave up and got a PC-Engine mini from Amazon Japan.

Ah you were the sacrificial consumer. Thank you for your sacrifice!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    My TG-16 is now May 26.

Which game was that?

It seems to have dropped a lot since I last looked (the highest recent sold auction is only $1799) but Keio Flying Squadron.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    My TG-16 is now May 26.

Which game was that?

I shouldn't have read this because Panzer Dragoon Saga is now over a grand. I sold that for $400 a couple years ago.

I feel your pain, as I did the same thing. I got just south of $500 for mine, but the thing just keeps appreciating.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I'm always kind of curious if I have any big money games gathering dust at my parents' house.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The most valuable game I own is a CIB MUSHA, and it only keeps climbing in value.

wVEsyIc.png
    I don't think I have any really valuable games any more. My STUN Runner arcade machine was probably the spendiest one I ever had. But most of my old collection has long since gone (divorces and international moves can do that; my Turbo Duo was one of the victims).

I have an MGS3: Subsistence Limited Edition, US three-disc version, that sold out two weeks before launch; and a regular MGS3 signed by Hideo Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa. Besides them, the Mass Effect 1 CE, US version, is pretty scarce. And a UK release of Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii that I found in a charity shop once - it unfortunately has a bad scratch that needs fixing, so it'll probably never be worth a ton, but copies of that aren't cheap now. Moving into current gen, I also have a copy of Godzilla on PS4, which goes for quite a bit now despite being crap :lol:

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I picked up a JP copy of Subsistence when I was abroad, I didn't notice until I got home it wasn't complete but I'm still proud to have it on my shelf lol

Wait what? I have to check but I think I have a copy of Godzilla on the PS4. Got it for cheap too.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Wait what? I have to check but I think I have a copy of Godzilla on the PS4. Got it for cheap too.

A couple of years back it was pretty cheap. But look at it now, it's amazing.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    It is baffling to me that a current gen game would be worth a lot.

Wow. Yeah.... Wow. I found mine. It is still sealed. Hahahaha. I should sell it.

So I had to go look and found out they lost the rights to it so it is delisted digitally and now people want it. I seriously think I bought my copy from Woot for something cheap. I think I also have it digitally.

oosik_betsuni.png
    forty wrote: »
    It is baffling to me that a current gen game would be worth a lot.

I know, right? I think it was down to a combination of being pulled from digital sale (probably because licensing) shortly before Godzilla suddenly ramped back up in western public consciousness as the KOTM movie hit and then things like the Criterion set came along. And, naturally, the game hadn't sold all that well the first time around. So now you have a PS4 game that's worth at least $150.

Wow. Yeah.... Wow. I found mine. It is still sealed. Hahahaha. I should sell it.

So I had to go look and found out they lost the rights to it so it is delisted digitally and now people want it. I seriously think I bought my copy from Woot for something cheap. I think I also have it digitally.

Still sealed? Holy shit. Ker-ching!

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up. I bought one on impulse. Believe it or not I never played a TG16. That’s an awful lot of shoot em ups in that collection. Not exactly my favorite genre so I might end up regretting the purchase -but that’s what makes it an impulse purchase, right? Still, that’s a lot of games regardless.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --

Still sealed? Holy shit. Ker-ching!

Haha yeah but knowing me I'll just hold onto it till it is worth $10 or something like that.

oosik_betsuni.png

:+1:

You'll notice the European release date is still TBA...

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Somehow, the screen got lightly scuffed on my TMNT Arcade 1up. You don't notice it when it is running. I think it might have came from the factory that way.

I thought about polishing it out with a scratch remover kit.

Krathoon on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Somehow, the screen got lightly scuffed on my TMNT Arcade 1up. You don't notice it when it is running. I think it might have came from the factory that way.

I thought about polishing it out with a scratch remover kit.

Lame. That’s really odd because it comes with the plastic film. Hope you can DIY a solution - with the pandemic happening I’m sure it would take a long time to get a replacement.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    Yeah. It is just really light scratches. I just notice it when light hits it at an angle.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Man, you're making it hard for me to not want to tinker with one. I'm trying to be good and not buy a FPGA just to check this out.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    If MiSTer ever gets CPS2 support I'm going to light my pants on fire from pulling out my wallet so fast.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    dav3yb wrote: »
    If MiSTer ever gets CPS2 support I'm going to light my pants on fire from pulling out my wallet so fast.

I'd say give it about a year?

CPS1 is getting released publicly very soon, then he has to get the Qsound sorted for the "CPS 1.5" games, then start working on CPS2. No idea how long that's gonna take because I only started following the Capcom stuff closely recently. My guess is less than a year.

EDIT: if you want to support CPS2 development, jotego's patreon is here.

august on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I saw a PC Engine Duo (Japanese version of the Turbo Duo, of course) go for not stupid money on eBay the other day! It was even nice and not scratched up! My finger was seriously twitching but I managed to hold off. It's the thought of how much it would cost to keep the thing fed with games. And it still wasn't cheap, just... not as daft as they usually are.

I can't remember the last time I saw a US Turbo Duo on there, though. Still stings that I don't have mine any more. The absolute pride and joy of my retro console collection when I was in the US. And it did make me chuckle that it was always the one that got the "what's that?" reaction.

But I would love one day to run my fingers over those sensuous, sleek, ever-so-'90s lines again, some day. That's on my "if I win the lottery" list.

Yeah, I bet all the TurboDuos are now in collections and will not see the light of day again...

I bet you'll get an e-mail from Amazon soon saying that your mini delivery date is changing. Yours did take longer to be "uh, we have no idea when this will ship" than ours did.

When one of you guys gets your TG-16 we're going to need a hilarious photo of it with other minis, showing how massive it is by comparison. By my estimation it should be at least the size of the SNES and Genesis put together, and then some!

I still don't have a Genesis... Was waiting for it to go sub $50 for some strange reason.

Speaking of which: While my wife was recording something earlier, I decided to finally give my Retro-Bit wireless 8-button pad a spin with Eternal Champions on the Genesis Mini I have hooked up to a monitor in the bedroom. Aaaaaaand the battery was drained.

I considered using the USB powering the console to charge it up a bit, but didn't out of fear that it might not work as hoped for and damage it.

Anyone know if that charger will work with the controller? For now, I just plugged it into my computer to recharge, but that's less convenient for a few reasons.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited May 2020
    It should be fine, I'd have thought.

(Usual disclaimers apply, etc etc.)

Jazz on

Speaking of which: While my wife was recording something earlier, I decided to finally give my Retro-Bit wireless 8-button pad a spin with Eternal Champions on the Genesis Mini I have hooked up to a monitor in the bedroom. Aaaaaaand the battery was drained.

I considered using the USB powering the console to charge it up a bit, but didn't out of fear that it might not work as hoped for and damage it.

Anyone know if that charger will work with the controller? For now, I just plugged it into my computer to recharge, but that's less convenient for a few reasons.

Well sonofa... Why did you have to go and do that? Why? Now I'm obligated to buy one... Hahahahaha...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Dooooo eeeeeet

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So I'm looking to add the Reset Option mod to my NES/SNES Classics...along with a few games. Is there anything I should know/do before getting started? Also, I'm assuming most tutorials out there are easy enough to follow.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    So I'm looking to add the Reset Option mod to my NES/SNES Classics...along with a few games. Is there anything I should know/do before getting started? Also, I'm assuming most tutorials out there are easy enough to follow.

Just make sure you use hakchi CE 3.8. Do not use hakchi 2.31. There are older video guides that use 2.31, so if you see the person using that version, seek out a different tutorial. As long as they're using hakchi CE 3.5 or above, you should be good.

Also, there are compatibility lists out there for both systems. Some games require patches to work properly.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Sigh. It kills me to say it, but I think I'm out on the TurboGrafx-16 mini.

As much as I want it, and have wanted it since it was announced (and wanted to get into TG16 since I was a kid), I just can't pull the trigger on a nearly $200 cost for this thing.

Pisses me off that Amazon.ca doesn't sell them (well, save for secondhand dealers who want around $350). Might alleviate a lot of the problem with shipping, import fees, and if Google is to be believed, Amazon's rip-off conversion rate.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Sigh. It kills me to say it, but I think I'm out on the TurboGrafx-16 mini.

As much as I want it, and have wanted it since it was announced (and wanted to get into TG16 since I was a kid), I just can't pull the trigger on a nearly $200 cost for this thing.

Pisses me off that Amazon.ca doesn't sell them (well, save for secondhand dealers who want around $350). Might alleviate a lot of the problem with shipping, import fees, and if Google is to be believed, Amazon's rip-off conversion rate.

It only cost me around $108, from Amazon.jp no less...

wVEsyIc.png
    Are they already sold out on US Amazon?

edited May 2020
    Are they already sold out on US Amazon?

Still shows you can pre-order it.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QD9GQ9J/

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    I got those True Blue Minis. Amazon keeps selling them and they are not getting sued for some reason.