As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car trouble

EstherSEstherS Registered User new member
Car began to make a horrid squealing sound while I was attempting to make a U turn. Car started clanking when steering wheel was turned like metal was stuck in the pulley system then choked up and died. Now every time I turn the car on it squeals and I can’t turn the wheel too far either direction without it choking up and dying. Didn’t have any problems steering before hand. I was able to “drive” the car home very slowly just going straight then putting it in neutral when having to turn. The only problem I was having before this is that the Ac wasn’t allowing me to accelerate properly and was making a somewhat high pithed sound like some sort of race car. The ac clutch didn’t seem to be engaging at times and when it did I’d have to drive relatively slow because I couldn’t accelerate properly. Anywho I don’t know if that has anything to do with me not being able to turn the wheels anymore, but I figured it’s worth mentioning. My car is a 2006 Kia Sportage has 176900 miles and was bought used in Relatively good condition.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    EstherS wrote: »
    Car began to make a horrid squealing sound while I was attempting to make a U turn. Car started clanking when steering wheel was turned like metal was stuck in the pulley system then choked up and died. Now every time I turn the car on it squeals and I can’t turn the wheel too far either direction without it choking up and dying. Didn’t have any problems steering before hand. I was able to “drive” the car home very slowly just going straight then putting it in neutral when having to turn. The only problem I was having before this is that the Ac wasn’t allowing me to accelerate properly and was making a somewhat high pithed sound like some sort of race car. The ac clutch didn’t seem to be engaging at times and when it did I’d have to drive relatively slow because I couldn’t accelerate properly. Anywho I don’t know if that has anything to do with me not being able to turn the wheels anymore, but I figured it’s worth mentioning. My car is a 2006 Kia Sportage has 176900 miles and was bought used in Relatively good condition.
    It sounds like a few things need to be checked. First how handy are you?

Check your Serpentine Belt. If you are real real lucky, you just need to replace your serpentine belt, it's a cheap fix to do it yourself, and most mechanics generally won't beat you up for more than 70 bucks to do it.

• Options
    EstherSEstherS Registered User new member
    If im being completely honest I’m not handy at all. The belt looks fine to me and I had a friend look at it yesterday before we got it home and he said it looked fine, but one of my pulleys seemed to be loose and he thought that the belt seemed to be getting tighter when attempting to turn the wheels. He said the pulley wanted to wiggle around but the belt got so tight that it choked itself out and caused the car to die. I have no idea what any of this means and I can’t say what pulley it was other than he had to get under the car to find it and it had a weird name and he said it was small

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea the belt is probably shot. The AC and power steering are controlled by the same belt in a lot of cars (like mine).

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Going from what your friend said it sounds like a sheave is loose/damaged and/or the belt tensioner is fucked up. I wouldn't trust that serpentine belt either because when sheaves or tensioners fail the belts get eaten up pretty quickly. Get your car towed to a qualified mechanic and do not attempt to drive it any further.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    This also lines up with the AC and power steering issues you were having (that's why it's hard to steer; the car isn't helping you anymore in those instances)

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Obvious stuff - have you checked the power steering fluid? If it's low, the pump will be unhappy, and the wheel will be hard to turn.