As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

QUILTBAG: Hi gay, I’m Dad!

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Also hey @Erin The Red I’m sorry you’re having a hard time at work!! Pls accept this art gift, hope it cheers you some, you’re really lovely and cool and a total badass and it was awesome to meet you at PAX

3q2ingvob4b9.jpeg

You're adorable and this is great. Thank you <3

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Doobh wrote: »
    I've understood the prominence of UK TERFs as primarily a small number of people pretending to be a much larger group

you know, multiple sockpuppet social media accounts and e-mails, combined with an influence over key media avenues

just a small and incredibly shitty group of people, determined to be as utterly hateful and pathetic as possible

This is my understanding, but there are also prominent terfs (including a large number of second-wave feminists) in the media, which serves to both make the group look more prominent and recruit more people into it. The Guardian, for instance, has prided itself on providing a voice to feminists for many years and was unprepared for the advent of say, Germaine Greer suddenly having an issue that they're a raging shithead about.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    lets not ignore there aren't very significant other reasons not to associate with germaine greer.

I agree with everything you said, but like... she's got many many more problems than just being a terf.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    In other...good?...news...

(mild content warning for the spoilered text; it's about Jussie Smollett but shouldn't contain anything upsetting)
    The CPD has dismissed reports that the racist and homophobic attack on Jussie Smollett was staged or a hoax.
    BBC News wrote:
    Superintendent Eddie Johnson has contacted local media in Chicago to tell them their "supposed" Chicago Police sources are "uninformed and inaccurate".

Bigots are gonna keep pointing at it and crowing, of course, and it's still horrible that it happened, but if even the CPD admit that their investigation into hoax claims turned up nothing, at least "famous black gay man lied about being attacked by bigots for publicity because he was getting written off his TV show" should stop being bandied about like a serious news story.

Shadowen on
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Terfs are a gateway to white supremacy, britain is a rainy fascist island.

In better news, I've been umming and ahhing about going to lgbt meetups until I found a london lgbt gaming discord. They've been really welcoming and chill, gonna head along to a rpg night a few are going to this weekend. I might actually make queer friends?

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Do you mind if I ask for the info for that discord?
    Seems like something I could be interested in

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    cool, Social Security denied my second hearing and now I no longer qualify for SSDI

plus I get to wait another three years for this to get through this shitty fucking welfare system for maybe a shot at SSI

don't really have any other place to post this

but social security is incredibly fucking broken, and nobody in power actually cares about disabled people (despite what they may say)

real cool how one judge could decide that their one clinician I saw once, who only tested me to see if I can represent myself, outweighs literal years of therapeutic and medical documentation of all my mental health problems

if I didn't have a partner and friends to support me through all these years I probably wouldn't be here right now

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's totally fucked that i believe that it's easier to get a country basic income than it is to get it a proper disability service

liEt3nH.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Welp. My credit score tanked by about 150 points literally overnight thanks to student loan debt.

Shoot, it almost feels like this whole system is bizarrely arbitrary and designed to be punitive.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    It would actually be easy to force my hand with HR.

All I would need to do is change my LinkedIn. Enough upper management and co-workers would then know they'd be forced to deal with it.

I'll just hold onto that as my last resort plan.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Welp. My credit score tanked by about 150 points literally overnight thanks to student loan debt.

Shoot, it almost feels like this whole system is bizarrely arbitrary and designed to be punitive.

I may just be cynical but I feel it's less arbitrary and more intentionally tuned to ensure that those of us with debt remain disadvantaged. Stack that deck as hard as possible in their favor, y'know.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I may just be cynical but I feel it's less arbitrary and more intentionally tuned to ensure that those of us with debt remain disadvantaged. Stack that deck as hard as possible in their favor, y'know.

Oh yeah definitely the fetid spawn of the ruling class never has the dagger of permanent, increasing, undischargeable debt hanging over their heads. It's a means of social control, top to bottom.

Edit: I was up around 650! Climbing toward 700 in fact. Pretty good! Now I'd be lucky if I could get into the apartment I live in right now.

Metzger Meister on
    God that's some horseshit, I'm sorry, man

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I never hurt anyone. I'm not a bad person. I didn't wanna take advantage of anyone or try to get something for nothing. I wanted an education and my stepdad started rotting from the fuckin inside out during my last semester and I couldn't handle it and now I have to suffer until I'm dead because of it.

Too sick in the head to hold down a job, not sick enough in the body to get any help but just sick enough to never feel quite right.

The stuff in the spoiler is just me feeling sorry for myself I guess.

Reckon I'll just get a job dropping fry baskets somewhere. Or working a counter at a gas station or something. Like I was born to! That's all there is for a 3rd generation misplaced Okie.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I never hurt anyone. I'm not a bad person. I didn't wanna take advantage of anyone or try to get something for nothing. I wanted an education and my stepdad started rotting from the fuckin inside out during my last semester and I couldn't handle it and now I have to suffer until I'm dead because of it.

Too sick in the head to hold down a job, not sick enough in the body to get any help but just sick enough to never feel quite right.

The stuff in the spoiler is just me feeling sorry for myself I guess.

Reckon I'll just get a job dropping fry baskets somewhere. Or working a counter at a gas station or something. Like I was born to! That's all there is for a 3rd generation misplaced Okie.

I don't know if this makes you feel any better but I have a college degree and so do a ton of my friends and we're still screwups. I know a ton of people that a degree didn't do a goddamn thing for. Don't let that hold you back.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Oops spoilered for big image

I awesomed this post too because it wouldn't let me awesome your pic of Erin twice.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular

Having built and independently vetted credit scorecards like FICO / Vantage / etc, I can say that those are not developed with the idea of loading people with debt—they are in fact designed to identify the people who may not be able to pay back a loan. That said, The financial services industry does a ton of drug-dealer-esque stuff to encourage people to increase their debt loads via marketing, etc.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
    MsAnthropy wrote: »

Having built and independently vetted credit scorecards like FICO / Vantage / etc, I can say that those are not developed with the idea of loading people with debt—they are in fact designed to identify the people who may not be able to pay back a loan. That said, The financial services industry does a ton of drug-dealer-esque stuff to encourage people to increase their debt loads via marketing, etc.

I dunno, I think a system where you can have a really healthy score and then drop like 150 points in almost an instant is absolutely developed with the idea of loading people with debt. Especially considering just how much of your actual LIFE is dependent on having a good score.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular

I dunno, I think a system where you can have a really healthy score and then drop like 150 points in almost an instant is absolutely developed with the idea of loading people with debt. Especially considering just how much of your actual LIFE is dependent on having a good score.

The score is basically a statistically-derived pattern recognition device, where the pattern being matched is that of people who have defaulted in debts. If something in the input data set changes, and the new pattern is closer to that typical of someone who defaults on a loan, then, yes, the score should decline. It is actually designed to tell lenders who to NOT lend money to! It is also, not at all designed with the intent to be used for non-lending related purposes—and organizations that try to use it for other areas are sleazoids. I am now going to refrain from discussing further as this is off-topic for the thread, and I’ve quite frankly already had my fill of people telling me I obviously don’t understand an area where I’ve done actual years of work today.

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
    I don't doubt your expertise on the technical aspect, I simply feel that the environment in which a system is used is an essential part of the system's design, and thus the evaluation of the ethical value of the system, regardless of what the people actually building it intend.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Any system built on exploitation will end up exploiting people. Lenders, their policies and employees, they're not the enemy. Capitalism. The commodification of humanity and our experience as a whole.

It costs money to be born. It costs money to die. I suppose expecting anything of the in-between is foolish.

I don't doubt your expertise on the technical aspect, I simply feel that the environment in which a system is used is an essential part of the system's design, and thus the evaluation of the ethical value of the system, regardless of what the people actually building it intend.

I am now breaking my own rule. I will simply say that I do believe there should be regulation restricting who can use credit scores, what purposes they can be used for, and that ethical considerations should be mandated as part of validation processes for statistical / machine learning models in regulated industries.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Blameless Cleric your short merman comic was super cute

YL9WnCY.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

Talk of the financial system itself aside.

That sounds like super interesting work.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    in, uh, happier news

For a couple hours today I laid on a table and read naruto while a very nice old lady with a big honkin nose ring electrocuted my dick

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Why is the UK press so anti-trans? Even the normally terrible American press isn't as bad as they are. I'm confused as to why they seem so much in accord with being awful.

Not necessarily the press, but the whole TERF thing is huge in the UK. My limited understanding is that feminism in the UK never had to grapple with the intersectionality that their counterparts in the US did or the legacy of being an occupied/colonial state like Ireland, which left them very white middle/upper class focused. There’s a heavy overlap between TERF-y groups, conservative dominionist groups, and white supremecists. I would imagine that that along with the general tabloid-y-ness of the UK press plays a big part. But I am absolutely not an expert in any of this, so I would defer to those who actually live there and social scientists who study this kind of thing.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because UK comedy is packed to the gills with men dressing up as women. The Two Ronnies, Les Dawson, pantomime, Paddington, Monty Python, Little Britain... It presents a view that a man identifying as a woman is something done for a laugh, and ensures that it's the foremost image in people's minds when they think about it, if they think about it at all

Or that could be a symptom rather than the cause, or a completely separate issue about sexism in TV ensuring that no women could get a role in comedy that wasn't being felt up by Benny Hill

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I’m still fully expecting the US media to take some cues from the UK in the near future, but I’m hopefully wrong.

Neco on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The UK media are essentially terrorists. I have yet to encounter a single person who's reacted negatively to me telling them I'm transitioning but I kept it hidden for years because the headlines made me feel like a pariah. Which is exactly what they want.

My grandpa always said you never really hear what real people think, just the fella who owns the paper.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Why is the UK press so anti-trans? Even the normally terrible American press isn't as bad as they are. I'm confused as to why they seem so much in accord with being awful.

Not necessarily the press, but the whole TERF thing is huge in the UK. My limited understanding is that feminism in the UK never had to grapple with the intersectionality that their counterparts in the US did or the legacy of being an occupied/colonial state like Ireland, which left them very white middle/upper class focused. There’s a heavy overlap between TERF-y groups, conservative dominionist groups, and white supremecists. I would imagine that that along with the general tabloid-y-ness of the UK press plays a big part. But I am absolutely not an expert in any of this, so I would defer to those who actually live there and social scientists who study this kind of thing.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because UK comedy is packed to the gills with men dressing up as women. The Two Ronnies, Les Dawson, pantomime, Paddington, Monty Python, Little Britain... It presents a view that a man identifying as a woman is something done for a laugh, and ensures that it's the foremost image in people's minds when they think about it, if they think about it at all

Or that could be a symptom rather than the cause, or a completely separate issue about sexism in TV ensuring that no women could get a role in comedy that wasn't being felt up by Benny Hill

As someone who used to work for a men's cruising site, most times, if I needed to moderate something from the UK, this was like, 90% of what I came across. The profiles of the reported were usually men who identified as crossdressers, and it seems like this community is very different, from a behaviour standpoint, than other similar communities in other parts of the world. I don't believe these were even trans-identifying people; just men - gay, bi or what have you, who enjoy dressing up as women as a fetish, and the discourse between other members on the site was extremely derogatory.

Don't get me wrong - online anonymity, especially when it comes to sites or apps designed for hooking up, all have some very negative heels who fill their profiles with stuff like "no fats, no femmes" or whatever, and if you're not someone's type, you can get an incredibly derogatory remark from someone just for saying hello. What I was moderating when I would look at the UK boards and profiles though was usually above and beyond. I don't know if that was a symptom of the culture and media?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Crossdressing is also big in Germany and neighboring countries but it's something I otherwise don't really know a lot about

It's part of some carnival traditions and a few people on OkCupid thought I was a crossdresser

Platy on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I wonder if it might harken back (in the UK at least) to something like Elizabethan theatre when there were no women players so all the female characters were played by men.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Nazi-era stuff
    There was recently a book published with photos of crossdressing Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS soldiers, often at "formal" events. It seems it was tolerated and even institutionalized to some degree at a time when, you know what happened.

Platy on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Germany was among the queer capitals of the world. Unsurprisingly, the Nazis put an end to Germany’s Gay Golden Age, and I’m sure most of you are familiar with the burning of trans research.

YL9WnCY.png
    In other news, I think I'm getting the T-induced increased appetite that I've read about. I'm super hungry every 3 hours. I see people walking around and they have delicious sandwiches for heads like in a cartoon.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I see people walking around and they have delicious sandwiches for heads like in a cartoon.

It's the side-effect no one talks about.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    In other news, I think I'm getting the T-induced increased appetite that I've read about. I'm super hungry every 3 hours. I see people walking around and they have delicious sandwiches for heads like in a cartoon.

Yeah, all of my male trans friends have said this once they started on testosterone. "Why am I sleeping and eating so much?!"

I see people walking around and they have delicious sandwiches for heads like in a cartoon.

It's the side-effect no one talks about.

Or maybe I'm taking LSD instead by mistake...

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Facebook reminded me that today is my 7 year anniversary of GRS, and roughly now is the time of day when I was waking up from falling asleep during surgery (I wasn't knocked out, surgery was just early in the morning and I fell asleep during it).
    It's been both longer and less long than I had consciously realized.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    wait, you were conscious for yours?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
This discussion has been closed.