As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

QUILTBAG: Hi gay, I’m Dad!

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    They gave me an epidural. Their policy was only to give you general anesthesia if you had pre-existing medical complications requiring it, or if you were also having other surgeries done at the same time (implants, FFS, body shaping), because apparently general anesthesia is one of the most dangerous parts of any surgery.

I was just having GRS, and had no medical issues, so they just gave me an epidural. I woke up once during the surgery and asked them when we were starting, they said we were about haflway through, my response was "oh, ok" and I went back to sleep.

Psykoma on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    They gave me an epidural. Their policy was only to give you general anesthesia if you had pre-existing medical complications requiring it, or if you were also having other surgeries done at the same time (implants, FFS, body shaping), because apparently general anesthesia is one of the most dangerous parts of any surgery.

I was just having GRS, and had no medical issues, so they just gave me an epidural. I woke up once during the surgery and asked them when we were starting, they said we were about haflway through, my response was "oh, ok" and I went back to sleep.

Yep. Good surgeons will try to use other methods whenever possible to avoid general anesthesia, and it's part of why they're hugely reticent to do multiple serious operations within a months-long period.

• MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I’m still fully expecting the US media to take some cues from the UK in the near future, but I’m hopefully wrong.

I am sure the Heritage Foundation and the US-based dominionist groups that back the UK’s TERFs are trying.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Oh well good to know I'm never getting any surgeries ever again

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure anti-anxiety/panic meds are a matter of course as part of the anesthesia.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    In other news, I think I'm getting the T-induced increased appetite that I've read about. I'm super hungry every 3 hours. I see people walking around and they have delicious sandwiches for heads like in a cartoon.

Yeah, all of my male trans friends have said this once they started on testosterone. "Why am I sleeping and eating so much?!"

I haven't felt either of these things
    My appetite has after a brief period of being low-normal, gone back to being very suppressed because of work stress. And I continue to not sleep sufficiently :/ not ideal.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

you're just the first person I know who was conscious for theirs

coming out of anesthesia was low key terrifying for me

so there's a mix of things going on in my head right now

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »

you're just the first person I know who was conscious for theirs

coming out of anesthesia was low key terrifying for me

so there's a mix of things going on in my head right now

I think Canada is about the only place that does that for SRS. General ansesthia is rough, but handled correctly not that unsafe.

It's also incredibly weird, for those of you who haven't experienced it.

I can barely tolerate getting blood drawn. Getting a cavity filled or hypotethically getting stitches is, like, the absolute limit. If I'm gonna get a fucking surgery I need to be incapable of knowing what's happening

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    In other news, I think I'm getting the T-induced increased appetite that I've read about. I'm super hungry every 3 hours. I see people walking around and they have delicious sandwiches for heads like in a cartoon.

Yeah, all of my male trans friends have said this once they started on testosterone. "Why am I sleeping and eating so much?!"

My appetite has after a brief period of being low-normal, gone back to being very suppressed because of work stress. And I continue to not sleep sufficiently :/ not ideal.

Hey you! Take better care of yourself.

That is all.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm curious what coming around from anaesthesia is like because lots of people say it sucks.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I haven't found it horrible either time I've had it but I did spend a couple hours browning out after I had technically woken up each time, which is not super great.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm curious what coming around from anaesthesia is like because lots of people say it sucks.

I got put under briefly for my wisdom teeth, ages and ages ago.

Going under was weird. I distinctly recall asking how long it would take and understanding the answer before I even finished asking. (and then being out like a light seconds later)

Waking up was like coming out of a nap.

I spent the next two hours giggling for unknown reasons.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Going under was weird. I distinctly recall asking how long it would take and understanding the answer before I even finished asking. (and then being out like a light seconds later)

Yeah that's pretty similar to my experience

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Anesthesiologists exist as such a highly specialized branch of medicine, and for very good reason. I remember doing a ton of research on the subject prior to some surgeries many years ago and it's why every time a piece of media has someone being knocked out for hours on end due to a tranquilizer, or whatever other drug they use to make people swoon instantly, it shatters my suspension of disbelief instantly. Especially if they wake up perfectly fine with no medical attention whatsoever.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I had anaesthesia for ear stuff, so the whole "suddenly, I am waking up" thing became a little more familiar than I should be.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I was there when my ex got her wisdom teeth out. She got general anesthesia and just had no real short term memory for about an hour. It was very adorable. She'd basically run through a loop of: wow, that went fast; thanks so much for being there for me; did they give me any painkillers for later; sorry, I'm not really retaining anything you're telling me; pause; wow, that went fast! :lol: Then she slept for a few hours when I got her home.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!

I only have really positive memories of it.

I woke up to conscious memory in a chair after top surgery (about a year ago). I was a little nauseous and scared of throwing up, but I knew about this risk beforehand so I told them and they gave me zofran and then I felt fine. I was sort of tired and high and really happy I'd just gotten the surgery, and I felt nice that Dan was with me and holding my hand and taking care of me. They told me to sit around until I'd recovered enough to drink some juice and eat a cracker, so for a while I just sat there and floated a bit in an almost 'just woke up' sort of state, probably talking a little bit with Dan; can't remember too well, honestly. But overall the feeling was really positive. I do recall that the nurses were confused about what pronouns to use for me but I wasn't bothered by it. Overall I just felt very pleasant and well-cared for, and after sitting around for some time (an hour or two?) returned pretty fully to my senses and was able to eat a bit, so we took an uber home.

When Dan had brain surgery two years ago (he is fine now), he had more trouble with the anaesthesia and recovery. It made him really nauseous and he wasn't quite able to express that. But the difficulty of the immediate recovery was also because of the nature of the surgery itself.

• PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

When I woke up in post op it was like waking up from a nap. I felt very chatty for some reason, almost giddy, but realized I was kind of out of it and kept my mouth shut before passing out again. I don't remember going under. In fact I don't even remember getting wheeled into OR. There's a whole block of time where I must have been awake and aware before surgery that I just don't remember because of the effects of anaesthesia. Still can't quite wrap my head around that. When I woke up later that night in my room I was feeling a lot less chatty.

Poketpixie on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Last time I had surgery I was out for the whole thing. (Freeing a trapped nerve then putting it someplace it would never get trapped again.)

I somehow managed to make my way home myself after having a taxi ordered for me, then spent a while sitting on the couch staring at a tv that I couldn't figure out how to turn on. Good times, good times.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Aw man, having a bad time with general anesthesia would be terrible :( I've also only had a positive experience with it, the one time I had general anesthetic, another wisdom teeth removal surgery. It was the smoothest most pleasant medical procedure I've ever had, just "I'm counting down from 10 and you'll get sleepy. 10, 9," and then I was in a comfy armchair under a blanket.

I think I've had a similar "hearing answers to questions before I ask them" time-perception illusion while under nitrous oxide for dentist work I think.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Aw man, having a bad time with general anesthesia would be terrible :( I've also only had a positive experience with it, the one time I had general anesthetic, another wisdom teeth removal surgery. It was the smoothest most pleasant medical procedure I've ever had, just "I'm counting down from 10 and you'll get sleepy. 10, 9," and then I was in a comfy armchair under a blanket.

I think I've had a similar "hearing answers to questions before I ask them" time-perception illusion while under nitrous oxide for dentist work I think.

To clarify mine, it wasn't hearing the answer before I asked, it was asking how long it would take and feeling it take hold mid-sentence, thereby answering my question.

Like it was literally "How long does this usually ta.... never mind, there it is *asleep*"

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ah ok, yeah I had weird time-distortion in my perception

BahamutZERO.gif
    A less pleasant experience is standing on the train and waking up suddenly very confused, on the floor of the train, wondering why people are fanning you with pieces of paper because you fainted.

My valentines day this year was rough, is what I am saying.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I don't remember anything from the first couple of hours after my surgery. I had my tonsils, uvula and adenoids removed and my soft palate lifted. Apparently the nurses were supposed to wake me up and check my status every so often while the anesthetic was wearing off. So they'd wake me up, I'd vomit a little blood, and they'd ask me how I was feeling. To which my answer was always "Fine, thanks. How are you?"

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Entaru wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »

Hey you! Take better care of yourself.

That is all.

I appreciate this
    I am trying to be healthy wrt stress management, but my work situation is stressful at the moment, and this weekend I had another emotionally difficult conversation with my husband who is divorcing me, and I of course somaticize this stress into lack of appetite/lack of sleep/acid reflux instead of idk processing it in a useful way
    It's not too too bad though; nothing like where I was last year. Just not optimal.

Hope that things settle down for you, cred. I process stress in a similar way. Not fun stuff...

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Having done a fair amount of ketamine at uni I would hope I wouldn't have much problem with anaesthesia-induced consciousness weirdness, but it is probably the thing I'm most sketched about with potential surgery.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    So while I was working an AV event today, the president of the LGBT+ employee group went and tore the head of Diversity a new ass and now they've decided to go forward with the Trans Day of Visibility event

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

I've woken up in every surgery I've ever had. Yay for red heads being resistant to anaesthesia!

Also after my nose surgery to get it so I could breathe I ripped all my tubes out and tried to fight people and like... Everyone had to hold me down and put me back under? I was confused and woke up covered in my blood and felt very embarrassed

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    So while I was working an AV event today, the president of the LGBT+ employee group went and tore the head of Diversity a new ass and now they've decided to go forward with the Trans Day of Visibility event

Please don't tell us that the head of Diversity is a cis hetero white male. Please.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I sent off my weekly email to HR basically stating that I have paperwork for a name change filled out and it is less than a month to my HRT start date.

Gently reminding them that too much more delay and they will lose the chance to control the message.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    On the anaesthesia front: going under anasthetic was one of the best things I've ever done, so it seems super variable. I loved it, the one time I got to go to sleep without any fuss. Waking up was also awesome. Supposedly when I woke up the nurse asked if I was ok and I said "How am I suppose to know if I died when all the nurses look like angels?" and she rolled her eyes so hard she sprained her skull. I cannot remember this.

Tube man your subconscious is smooth as fuck

edited February 2019

Please don't tell us that the head of Diversity is a cis hetero white male. Please.

Nope! But we are finding out after talking to other groups that nobody else gets nearly the scrutiny or push back that we do, and that's a Bad Look (tm)

Erin The Red on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Given what we've already read about the organization, would you expect anything else?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised if Erin came back saying that they were. Thankfully that's not the case, but it seems like there's a deeper issue going on there.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    When I went under for wisdom teeth removal, I woke up feeling tired as all hell and needed physical help to get in my mother's car. I recovered rapidly with minimal pain and took maybe two tablets of vicodin total.

When my brother did the same, he woke up high as a kite, punched himself in the face because he was laughing how he couldn't feel it, and yarfed out the car window on the way home. He recovered slowly and emptied his pill bottle.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I've been put under four times (comically nasty wisdom tooth, appendix, SRS, gallbladder).

The wisdom tooth was...ok imagine you could teleport but doing so made you drunk and feel like someone punched you in the face. They said they were starting then surprise! Another room.

Gallbladder was fine, except I had vision side effects. My eyes kept tracking upwards without me telling them to. Ending up cursing my optic nerve which made the nurse laugh.

I don't remember coming out of SRS. Probably because it was by far the longest of the four. I'm not sure I could handle being awake for that! I've had minor stuff done and yeah it was numb but you still feel them pushing around. Though I guess an epidural is probably a far more complete block.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Got enough to do laser on Monday!

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.