As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUILTBAG: Hi gay, I’m Dad!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Entaru wrote: »
    Meh.

Just had to explain that, no, It is not about wearing women's clothes and that there is a difference.

I am NOT a crossdresser.

Ah yes that old chestnut. Ugh.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Oh this is really cool. I don't know how many have been following disney cartoon Star vs. the Forces of Evil, but a recent episode revealed that the main character Star Butterfly is bisexual.

Basically she's adventuring in a dimension where her best friend Marco spent years becoming a buff badass, and they meet up with an old lady warrior friend of his, and she spends most of the episode blushing over both of them.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Hm my everyday colleague and collaborator is having a really hard time with my pronouns; sometimes she just decides to use my name cause that’s easier, and the rest of the time it’s “she...he” (self-correct) or at very best “...he” (self-policing before arriving at the right answer)
    Which...I mean, it doesn’t require action on my part; she gets what the deal is and is trying to talk correctly. But it’s also a clear sign to me that my presentation just *completely* doesn’t work.
    I need a beard >:[
    Or I need to stop talking and acting like a friendly millennial girl but ehhh

I wouldn’t take responsibility on your self, it’s probably just that her mental mapping is off. I too, look forward to you joining the beard club however. Beards are good.

I second this. While I replaced the name for my friend when she started transitioning relatively quickly, pronouns took much longer for me to get down, and it had nothing to do with the way she looked or behaved. It was as simple as my brain filling in the pronouns before I could think, cause when we would hang out and conversation was flowing, it would fill in before I could think about it. I had to start slowing down my responses to make sure I was getting the pronouns right. Not slowing down as in saying things more slowly, but just taking a moment to think of my response before saying it. After awhile the brain’s autocorrect got fixed and I started not slipping up nearly as often.

Also beards are fun, and for most people who grow them, there is a style you can rock that will make you look good.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Hm my everyday colleague and collaborator is having a really hard time with my pronouns; sometimes she just decides to use my name cause that’s easier, and the rest of the time it’s “she...he” (self-correct) or at very best “...he” (self-policing before arriving at the right answer)
    Which...I mean, it doesn’t require action on my part; she gets what the deal is and is trying to talk correctly. But it’s also a clear sign to me that my presentation just *completely* doesn’t work.
    I need a beard >:[
    Or I need to stop talking and acting like a friendly millennial girl but ehhh

I wouldn’t take responsibility on your self, it’s probably just that her mental mapping is off. I too, look forward to you joining the beard club however. Beards are good.

I wonder if it’ll ever be possible. Men on both sides of my family have good beards (and are not bald) but I cannot count on any of that actually working for me, so I’m not going to particularly anticipate it happening. Maybe 5 years from now; maybe never. I’ll be sad if it’s never, but what can you do.

I suspect that even if you don't get the full lumberjack (most people don't) you'll be able to grow some kind of facial hair that you can extract some joy out of. It's one of the reasons that I don't like beard-shaming: beards are a lot of fun and unique to each individual and people should be encouraged to enjoy the individualities of their appearance.

I have a ginormo beard but I find that a lighter mustache and chin beard (which is usually indicative of an inability to grow a ginormo beard) is very fetching on a lot of guys as long as it well-kept

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    do we have a taxes thread because holy shit i'm mad

turns out, starting THIS YEAR, only active duty military gets to claim moving expenses

so i guess i'll probably just go die.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Oh shit thats terrible Metzger

Also H&A has a thread about taxes and maybe somebody there can help somehow

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Nah I did a bunch of googling and it seems like there's just no way to claim those expenses so, eh. C'est la vie!

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    "This letter isn't specific enough. It has to say you have successfully undergone transition surgery. Come back once you have that"

After waiting an hour

LOVE IT

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    why the fuck

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    That's been a pretty common requirement across most jurisdictions going back over a decade ago and it was garbage then and continues to be unacceptable garbage now

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    It's bullshit we have to perform these gatekeeping feats of gender to prove ourselves trans enough for them to give us these boons.

Fuck gatekeeping.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    literally just to change a fucking word

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Well you see the government needs to make sure trans people are sterile before they're willing to recognize you.

Some government explicitly state you need to be sterilized, most just hide behind saying you need to have had GRS first.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

A letter! A single letter on an ID

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I'm so sorry this is happening to you, Erin.

Platy on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

A letter! A single letter on an ID

It's also bullshit
    http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1.nsf/58c968bd569b099986256cdc000806eb/bf53b205455ad9d0862564ae0058feab?OpenDocument
    A medical statement signed by a physician stating that the applicant has undergone a successful gender change/reassignment.

That does NOT say surgery. So that DMV clerk can go screw themselves even harder.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Had the same issue at the passport office, they wanted the letter to state that I had "already completed transition". You know this shit takes time right?

Thankfully my GP was super helpful and sorted me out, hope you have similar luck Erin.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    lmao "completed" transition

it's a lifelong journey fuckos.

I was gonna say "when'd any of y'all stop growing and expanding your understanding of self" but then I remembered that a core component of conservatism is a refusal to grow or change as a person.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I got kinda snippy with the guy at the counter. I know it's not his fault the policy is there

But I was like "you can't COMPLETE transition. I am going to take hormone pills every day until the day I die. I'll be complete when I'm in the ground.

And doesn't it suck that I have to be basically sterilized for the state to see me as who I am? Nobody else needs to do that to change something on their license. Nobody else needs a doctor's note."

He just nodded, shrugged, and slid the paper back across the desk

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    One day I shall complete my transition to immaculate corpse.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Last night I colored my hair and today I went and got my ears peirced.

I fucking love being a girl.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Hells yeah, sister. You be you!

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

what color!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh yeah, like the week after I came out at work I dyed my hair. Then a few weeks later I got my ears pierced.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    There is something about taking ownership of one’s body. I am talking to someone at a tattoo place for my birthday this year to talk about 3-4 ideas I have, and I’ve never been interested in them before. Then here in a few months when my hair gets to the point where my wig is too difficult to keep in place, I think I am going to switch to a topper and get both it and my hair dyed purple or blue.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options

what color!

Copper red!

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Transgender Victoria has put together a really cute website for TDOV.

• Options
    aStoryAboutYouaStoryAboutYou Registered User regular
    hey y'all my partner and I are engaged as of wednesday

I'm utterly melted over this turn of events and I love them with all my doofus heart

they've been my person for about as long as I've been lurking this forum/board (so, 11 years)

wow life.

oWv6S12.gif
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    hey y'all my partner and I are engaged as of wednesday

I'm utterly melted over this turn of events and I love them with all my doofus heart

they've been my person for about as long as I've been lurking this forum/board (so, 11 years)

wow life.

Congrats!

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Bachelorettes party tomorrow, wedding in 189 hours aaaaaaaaaaaa

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

This actually put a thought in my head. I wish men got more of a pass to feel comfortable doing this. It's a shame that society paints an idea that it's okay for women to colour their hair and pierce their ears and wear some eccentric jewelry. Whether you see a woman on street, or at work (formal, business or otherwise), most interactions with people would seem "normal".

Outside of very specific environments however, if a guy shows up to work (thinking more office/corporate type stuff) with radically dyed hair, pierced ears and anything other a simple ring, wedding band or metal-banded Rolex watch, there would be an incredibly different perception of them. Why does it have to be Armani suits and matching ties all the time?

Don't get me wrong - a nice Italian suit can feel great, but I know if I showed up to work with highlights or dual-coloured hair, some ear studs or a cartilege piercing, and maybe a visible tattoo somewhere, my upward progression in my company would likely grind to a halt.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    To be fair, I do expect colored hair affects the perception of a woman and her upward progression at work. Just not as much as being a woman already affects that.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Triple J (the Australian national youth radio station) has a weekly program on love, dating and sex called "The Hook Up", and this week they devoted the two hours to the topic of being trans while dating. You can listen online here (after a 45 second promo for the weekday morning show).

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    I will be celebrating tdov today by staying indoors and playing videogames

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My dad sent me a message saying "Happy LGBT day". I assume that means TDOV. I have no idea how he knows that's a thing but it was a nice gesture.

• Options
    My dad sent me a message saying "Happy LGBT day". I assume that means TDOV. I have no idea how he knows that's a thing but it was a nice gesture.

that's so cute aaaaa
    I'm delighted!

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    I keep seeing TDOV and thinking it is something about Vampires.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    i, for one, welcome the new Trans Day Of Vampirism

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I keep thinking it's Trans Day of Vengeance.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I don't 100% know what trans day of visibility is, but I assume it means post selfies to be visible :D

xoaixrmfuxfy.jpg
    pardon the mess in the background
    qlgr2exjs7iu.jpg

credeiki on
This discussion has been closed.