As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUILTBAG: Hi gay, I’m Dad!

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Okay that triggered something in my memory.
    I was in England in January, and holy shit apparently England really hates peanut butter.
    No-one there admitted to liking it, I couldn't even find peanut butter M&M's.

What's the deal with peanut butter in England?

The bf is Scottish, and he can't deal with peanut butter. Like, he's allergic to mayo, which I understand (kind of, long story), but he's tried peanut butter and just doesn't get the appeal.
    What kind of food can I just constantly shovel into my mouth which won't drive me to an early grave?

Nuts. Peanuts, cashews, brazil nuts, almonds, whatever your preference. Also seeds, like chia, pumpkin, sunflower, etc.

When I used to do keto, nuts and seeds and something like pork rinds/chiccarones with a chipotle mayo dip were some of my favourite snacks. High in protein (fills you up) low in carbs (good for diabetics) but if you're going with nuts, you're also adding a lot of fat, which might not be the best thing.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I was in England in January, and holy shit apparently England really hates peanut butter.

The bf is Scottish, and he can't deal with peanut butter. Like, he's allergic to mayo, which I understand (kind of, long story), but he's tried peanut butter and just doesn't get the appeal.
    What kind of food can I just constantly shovel into my mouth which won't drive me to an early grave?

Nuts. Peanuts, cashews, brazil nuts, almonds, whatever your preference. Also seeds, like chia, pumpkin, sunflower, etc.

When I used to do keto, nuts and seeds and something like pork rinds/chiccarones with a chipotle mayo dip were some of my favourite snacks. High in protein (fills you up) low in carbs (good for diabetics) but if you're going with nuts, you're also adding a lot of fat, which might not be the best thing.

Hi-five for Keto, doing that right now. 6 months in and like 60 pounds down.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Embrace death, and get another slice of double bacon pizza.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

The impression I've gotten is that the Nutella or Marmite people probably bust your kneecaps if you get caught associating with peanut butter over there.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I had to go to buy onions and the shop had some protein bars on special offer so I bought a bunch of those. I just need an alternative snack available to stop me going for toast and cereal all the time. My proper meals are (mostly) pretty healthy.

Oh! Hard boiled eggs, if you like them, are portable and last a while and have good protein and are low in calories and decently filling

And you can pretend you're a snake

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I did keto for a solid year, and went from 235lbs to 165. The hubby lost 100 lbs in that same time frame. Then we went on a cruise and purposely fell off the rails and haven't really been worried about getting back to it since.

I'm back up to 215, which I'm comfortable with, but my general physician wants me to go back on a diet of sorts so I can come down on my diabetes meds. I want to, buuuut... pizza. And french fries. And pasta. And salty pretzels with a zesty white queso dip.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    HR tried to set up a meeting today but I am out with my wife's eye surgery.

Moved it to tomorrow so hopefully they have more than "we hear you are wanting to move . Continue to remain patient"

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I had to go to buy onions and the shop had some protein bars on special offer so I bought a bunch of those. I just need an alternative snack available to stop me going for toast and cereal all the time. My proper meals are (mostly) pretty healthy.

Oh! Hard boiled eggs, if you like them, are portable and last a while and have good protein and are low in calories and decently filling

Just swallow the egg whole. Chewing slows you down.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I think it just never grew popular as a childhood staple and so most people just don’t have a taste for it.

I’ll eat it, but I really only came to peanut butter as an adult and it doesn’t wow me.

Also M&Ms and many other US candies (like Reese’s) taste far too saccharine to people who grew up with UK-style candies.
    Wyvern wrote: »

The impression I've gotten is that the Nutella or Marmite people probably bust your kneecaps if you get caught associating with peanut butter over there.

Also, our typical sandwiches are different! Popular combinations when I were at school were cheese & pickle (not US pickles, but Branston’s pickle), cheese & marmite, turkey, salad & salad cream, etc.

This is also reminding me that Heinz’s Sandwich spread is pretty popular in the UK (it’s a very tangy vegetable/cream chunky spread), and I also had a fair few meat and fish pastes that you don’t find in the US.

Janson on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

This is the first I've heard of this. We go through peanut butter like it's going out of style in this house.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I did keto for a solid year, and went from 235lbs to 165. The hubby lost 100 lbs in that same time frame. Then we went on a cruise and purposely fell off the rails and haven't really been worried about getting back to it since.

I'm back up to 215, which I'm comfortable with, but my general physician wants me to go back on a diet of sorts so I can come down on my diabetes meds. I want to, buuuut... pizza. And french fries. And pasta. And salty pretzels with a zesty white queso dip.

Honestly I've found calorie restriction plus an aggressive exercise plan during the work week and then no real rules on weekends has been very successful for me for dropping weight, and doesn't require you to completely restructure your diet. If you're looking for advice! You may not be, in which case sorry!

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    -
    3clipse wrote: »

Honestly I've found calorie restriction plus an aggressive exercise plan during the work week and then no real rules on weekends has been very successful for me for dropping weight, and doesn't require you to completely restructure your diet. If you're looking for advice! You may not be, in which case sorry!

Without turning this into the fitness thread, I'll be looking into that for after Keto. But I am sticking with it for now until this fall. After I marry my BF, then its probably time to come up with something less restrictive but still healthy.

To bring it back to the topic on hand, we have a date and a venue, and are now planning the ceremony! It's still kind of amazing to me how the wedding industry has latched on to gay marriages once they realized they could make money.

Maybe its also being in the Bay Area, but nobody has batted an eye about us. It's kind of nice, knowing that a decade ago when we met none of this was even an option.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    milski wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    On the anaesthesia front: going under anasthetic was one of the best things I've ever done, so it seems super variable. I loved it, the one time I got to go to sleep without any fuss. Waking up was also awesome. Supposedly when I woke up the nurse asked if I was ok and I said "How am I suppose to know if I died when all the nurses look like angels?" and she rolled her eyes so hard she sprained her skull. I cannot remember this.

Supposedly, while going under to remove my wisdom teeth I proposed to one of the nurses.

All I remember is waking up in my grandma's house in a recliner, feeling totally fine but hungry, standing up to go get food, launching out of the chair, taking one step, and eating absolute shit as my brain forgot how legs are supposed to work

My granddad used to have a little chainsaw carving of a bear at the head of his driveway.

He went in for surgery years ago, and when he came out of anesthetic the first thing he said was, “You know who I like? That little bear in the driveway. He’s always in such a good mood, always happy to see you. We should have a party for that bear.”

This was completely out of character for my granddad. He was generally a pretty stoic guy, funny but not really sentimental like that.

Needless to say, we had a party for that bear.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Janson wrote: »

I think it just never grew popular as a childhood staple and so most people just don’t have a taste for it.

I’ll eat it, but I really only came to peanut butter as an adult and it doesn’t wow me.

Also M&Ms and many other US candies (like Reese’s) taste far too saccharine to people who grew up with UK-style candies.

See, that's something else I'm familiar with as a difference between North American and European chocolate.

There used to be a Hershey's chocolate factory about 2.5 hours outside of my city. So Reese's, Jersey Milks, Hershey's Cookies N' Cream chocolate bars, etc. Hershey's is probably the big staple American brand chocolate/candy provider. You also have your Cadbury brand, which I don't think is as big down in States, but it's all over Canada and the main brand for the UK.

I like both Hershey's and Cadbury, and sometimes I crave some peanut butter cups, but sometimes I want a Cadbury Crunchie bar. The Scottish bf regularly goes to a British import shop and gets his Double Deckers, his Twirls, his Wispas. He's happy that we have Cadbury Creme Eggs and doesn't need to pay import tax for those because he will ravage the shopping aisle.

If I'm being honest, I'm actually not a big fan of Belgian chocolate, despite some people claiming it's the best. I'll eat a 3 pack of Lindors, but give me Ferrero Rocher or Raisinettes over them any time.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    On the anaesthesia front: going under anasthetic was one of the best things I've ever done, so it seems super variable. I loved it, the one time I got to go to sleep without any fuss. Waking up was also awesome. Supposedly when I woke up the nurse asked if I was ok and I said "How am I suppose to know if I died when all the nurses look like angels?" and she rolled her eyes so hard she sprained her skull. I cannot remember this.

Supposedly, while going under to remove my wisdom teeth I proposed to one of the nurses.

All I remember is waking up in my grandma's house in a recliner, feeling totally fine but hungry, standing up to go get food, launching out of the chair, taking one step, and eating absolute shit as my brain forgot how legs are supposed to work

My granddad used to have a little chainsaw carving of a bear at the head of his driveway.

He went in for surgery years ago, and when he came out of anesthetic the first thing he said was, “You know who I like? That little bear in the driveway. He’s always in such a good mood, always happy to see you. We should have a party for that bear.”

This was completely out of character for my granddad. He was generally a pretty stoic guy, funny but not really sentimental like that.

That bear sounds great

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod

That bear sounds great

I mean, yeah.

He was made with a chainsaw.

What’s not to love?

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

See, that's something else I'm familiar with as a difference between North American and European chocolate.

There used to be a Hershey's chocolate factory about 2.5 hours outside of my city. So Reese's, Jersey Milks, Hershey's Cookies N' Cream chocolate bars, etc. Hershey's is probably the big staple American brand chocolate/candy provider. You also have your Cadbury brand, which I don't think is as big down in States, but it's all over Canada and the main brand for the UK.

I like both Hershey's and Cadbury, and sometimes I crave some peanut butter cups, but sometimes I want a Cadbury Crunchie bar. The Scottish bf regularly goes to a British import shop and gets his Double Deckers, his Twirls, his Wispas. He's happy that we have Cadbury Creme Eggs and doesn't need to pay import tax for those because he will ravage the shopping aisle.

If I'm being honest, I'm actually not a big fan of Belgian chocolate, despite some people claiming it's the best. I'll eat a 3 pack of Lindors, but give me Ferrero Rocher or Raisinettes over them any time.

Lindor isn’t Belgian, it’s Swiss; the Lindt brand is actually way more about their chocolate bars than the fondant balls they sell under the Lindor name. Frankly I can take or leave those myself but their dark chocolate bars are excellent. Not surprising when they effectively invented the concept.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Last year I managed to find a very similar chainsaw carving of a bear for a reasonable price and picked it up. It’s at the head of my driveway, and makes me happy whenever I see him.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    When's the party?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    When's the party?

When you got a chainsaw bear waiting for you at home, every day’s a party

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I want a bear made out of chocolate now, for some reason...

Oooh or chocolate-covered gummy bears!

In other news: brain problems continue to make the logistics of transitioning all the more difficult. Pardon me while I lie on the floor for a day or two...

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

eggs are wee bit high on the cholesterol

which is mostly a concern for me because my endo keeps bringing it up and I'm absolutely terrified he'll think I value my life more than I value HRT

I will roast him alive if I have to

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »

eggs are wee bit high on the cholesterol

which is mostly a concern for me because my endo keeps bringing it up and I'm absolutely terrified he'll think I value my life more than I value HRT

I will roast him alive if I have to

Dietary cholesterol doesn't matter much. Of course that probably won't convince him :/

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm just worried about my blood tests

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Yeah I had blood tests assigned 4 months ago that I haven't done because I'm legit worried it'll come back in such a way that they'll stop my hrt

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    threatening my HRT is threatening my life as far as I'm concerned

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    threatening my HRT is threatening my life as far as I'm concerned

This was part of the reason I had SRS when I did. Might be able to stop my E but I'll take menopause over T thankyouverymuch.

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    the book is uh, doing okay. im apparently going to los angeles for an award thing for LA times book festival and sweating profusely. a who's who of author types and whatnot, im hoping there are no celebs so i dont have sort of public meltdown

also i moved to baltimore recently, in one of baltimores weirdest years on record. they put old bay on everything here

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    nicest thing about baltimore has been swapping gay war stories and some decent italian food. for some reason Indian pizza is really big now and i gotta say butter chicken pizza is a no brainer now

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    butter chicken pizza is v good

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    damn I never considered Indian pizza, butter chicken pizza sounds amazing

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Butter chicken pizza sounds so good that I'm mad it took us this long as a civilization to bring it to my personal attention.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    is it served on naan or is it like a normal pizza crust?

i have questions and my tummy demands answers.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    butter chicken poutine

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I don't know what butter chicken pizza is, but that name sounds american as hell.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    is it served on naan or is it like a normal pizza crust?

i have questions and my tummy demands answers.

I believe it's on normal pizza crust. We have a couple places around Seattle that do it as well.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Butter chicken pizza is pretty common here in Australia, Dominoes even offers it.
    Can confirm it is a real good time.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I would gladly go for a double pepperoni pizza right now.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I have returned gayer, bier, and queerer.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    I don't know what butter chicken pizza is, but that name sounds american as hell.

It's Indian Food +Italian food, so kinda.

This discussion has been closed.