As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUILTBAG: Hi gay, I’m Dad!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Doobh wrote: »
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Sonicfox won best esports player of the year.

And ended his speech giving thanks to the LGBTQ+ community.
    "As you guys also may know -- or many not know -- I'm also super gay, so I mean, I want to give a super shoutout to all my LGBTQ+ friends that have always helped me through life.

Obviously I'm a furry, so shoutout to the furries. Um, guess all I've gotta really say is that I'm gay, black, a furry -- pretty much everything a Republican hates -- and the best esports player of the year, I guess! Thank you so much!"
    Watching TGA now and just saw this!

And also a transwoman performed with Hans Zimmer and later got to present an award and was nominated for another one, and the whole universe is just a little bit brighter.

funny enough, the choker is what clued me in

Is that a thing?

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Doobh wrote: »
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Sonicfox won best esports player of the year.

And ended his speech giving thanks to the LGBTQ+ community.
    "As you guys also may know -- or many not know -- I'm also super gay, so I mean, I want to give a super shoutout to all my LGBTQ+ friends that have always helped me through life.

Obviously I'm a furry, so shoutout to the furries. Um, guess all I've gotta really say is that I'm gay, black, a furry -- pretty much everything a Republican hates -- and the best esports player of the year, I guess! Thank you so much!"
    Watching TGA now and just saw this!

And also a transwoman performed with Hans Zimmer and later got to present an award and was nominated for another one, and the whole universe is just a little bit brighter.

funny enough, the choker is what clued me in

Is that a thing?

Yep. Pretty common way to hide a pronounced Adam's Apple.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    it’s a trans girl stereotype

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I love my choker and wore it all the time without knowing it was a trans thing. I also wore it wayyy before transitioning. My fiancée doesn’t like chokers though so I wear them less, also I kinda got tired of it.

Neco on
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'm envious of anyone who can wear a choker a lot of them are so fashionable but i can't handle having anything around my neck like that it's a weird reflex i can't even wear necklaces.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I associate chokers with 16-17 year olds rather than trans people. Maybe it's a regional thing

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    It's either genetics or posture, but I just don't have a long enough neck to make a choker viable

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It has been awhile since I checked in with the thread on how things are going with me. So let’s see...
    • Decided to not pursue continued voice work with a new SLP, since she wants me to learn completely different methods from what my prior one was teaching. Especially considering that I’ve been getting compliments on my voice and have been getting properly gendered on the phone. Whee for not spending that money every week!
    • Had a final session with my old therapist wherein many tears were shed, and I decided to accelerate those coming-out-at-work and changing legal documents things.
    • Went to my work’s annual conference, and attended multiple sessions on Intersectionality, Allyship, and Solidarity. Half of which were lead by a trans dude of color. Those were pretty rad.
    • Drafted a task list and communication plan for the aforementioned coming-out-at-work thing. Will review it with my new therapist tomorrow, and may actually get that ball rolling this week? And try the name change order stuff the week after? Eep!
    • Have been spending waaay too much money on clothes lately, but I guess I will need them given the above?
    • Got ma’amed for the first time in person yesterday while out at Whole Foods.

MsAnthropy on
    Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    i always associated chokers with, like, edgy cool girls, and that holds true.

edit: like in the real sense of the word edgy and cool, not ironic

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    MsAnthropy wrote: »
    Went to my work’s annual conference, and attended multiple sessions on Intersectionality, Allyship, and Solidarity. Half of which were lead by a trans dude of color. Those were pretty rad.

Whoa, for real? That's awesome! :D

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    MsAnthropy wrote: »
    Went to my work’s annual conference, and attended multiple sessions on Intersectionality, Allyship, and Solidarity. Half of which were lead by a trans dude of color. Those were pretty rad.

Whoa, for real? That's awesome! :D

Yeah! I mean, I won’t say that the sessions were super-strongly attended, but it’s nice to see our HR group emphasizing meaningful inclusion that much during an event where like 75-80% of the company will be at.

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    So my GRS application is taken care of...

Except that I need to get a second opinion from another psychiatrist, and I was not informed of this at ANY point over the past year.

So now I have to wait until after Christmas, and I'm just a seething mass of rage and depression.

Can't handle shit, y'all. I cannot.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

Except that I need to get a second opinion from another psychiatrist, and I was not informed of this at ANY point over the past year.

So now I have to wait until after Christmas, and I'm just a seething mass of rage and depression.

Well.. shit. :( That seems like pointless busywork.

Anything we can help with?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Can you imagine if other surgeries needed that?

“You’re gonna need a root canal. Please submit proof you had teeth for at least 30 years, three medical opinions from independent dentists that you need teeth and see a psychiatrist to get their okay for having teeth. “

This just makes me really mad.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Gatekeeping at its finest, it’s especially mind-boggling given the fact that it is not only fucked up in principle but is a massive waste of resources even if you could ignore the first part. It’s costly concern trolling at best and straight up exclusionary and discriminatory at worst.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    If I needed a second opinion from a GP to confirm that I'm physically fit for the surgery that would actually be fine, that kinda makes sense.

But needing to prove my fucking identity that's already on my license and birth certificate and approved by the government, and a psychologist, and my psychiatrist?!?!

It's utter shit. It feels physically painful.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    If I needed a second opinion from a GP to confirm that I'm physically fit for the surgery that would actually be fine, that kinda makes sense.

But needing to prove my fucking identity that's already on my license and birth certificate and approved by the government, and a psychologist, and my psychiatrist?!?!

Yeah that's intended only to hurt you and it can fuckin suck it

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed that seven years later that's still a requirement.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I never looked into the GRS side of things but it's probably those stupid WPATH guidelines again

• Options
    Gatekeeping is just straight up transmysogony.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

No ifs, ands, or buts. Those requirements are put in by bigoted douchebags hoping to throw so many roadblocks up that you get discouraged and give up (similar to states enacting laundry lists of requirements to get an abortion). It's some serious fucking bullshit.

Sorry you're having to deal with that friend.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    hm pretty much everyone on my team refers to me as 'she ummm sorry I mean he'
    was sort of hoping that wouldn't happen if I showed up fresh at a new job as a he but I guess my OVERWHELMING AURA OF FEMININITY is just too much
    it's kinda bullshit
    but yeah w.e I guess people can't get over the concept that they're interacting with a woman
    but I didn't want to wait to get a new job until the T took more effect cause I was really struggling psychologically and needed to switch immediately
    blehhhhhh

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Yeah that's intended only to hurt you and it can fuckin suck it

If it wasn't transphobia, there'd be the same regulations for people who want to get face tattoos.

Butler on
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    hm pretty much everyone on my team refers to me as 'she ummm sorry I mean he'
    was sort of hoping that wouldn't happen if I showed up fresh at a new job as a he but I guess my OVERWHELMING AURA OF FEMININITY is just too much
    it's kinda bullshit
    but yeah w.e I guess people can't get over the concept that they're interacting with a woman
    but I didn't want to wait to get a new job until the T took more effect cause I was really struggling psychologically and needed to switch immediately
    blehhhhhh

Yeah. I came out to my boss during our weekly one-on-one and he told me about a friend of a friend who transitioned, which was encouraging... but he then proceeded to slip-and-correct on pronouns immediately when talking about them. Looking forward to more awkward conversations with our HR rep later.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    can i interrupt this with lighter news?

Seems like Nintendo caught on to my tweets because....

they made it true.

Waluigi is now canonically ace.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

It affects transmasculine people, too

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Two and a half years at my job and I’ve given up on half my coworkers to keep my pronouns or even name right, though I don’t typically correct them because I don’t feel comfortable enough to confront people in general, especially at work where I’m typically read as male anyway, since my hair is usually tied back and I don’t have makeup on. It’s a bit frustrating that that is all it takes for people to see me as male, but whatever

Neco on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

I planned a Christmas lunch for our team and I'm gonna be a gotdamn reindeer

• Options
    edited December 2018
    My wife asked me to be myself and get dressed up for her on her birthday for dinner and a movie out, on the 21st, and I said yes.

So that's exhilarating and terrifying.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Two and a half years at my job and I’ve given up on half my coworkers to keep my pronouns or even name right, though I don’t typically correct them because I don’t feel comfortable enough to confront people in general, especially at work where I’m typically read as male anyway, since my hair is usually tied back and I don’t have makeup on. It’s a bit frustrating that that is all it takes for people to see me as male, but whatever

This! This is the worst. I'm too averse to conflict to correct them so I put my pronouns in my email signature and slowly increase the size every time that person fucks up

So far it's kinda working?

• Options
    My wife asked me to be myself and get dressed up for her on her birthday for dinner and a movie out, on the 21st, and I said yes.

OK SO
    Is there anything we can help with between now and then? Clothes ideas? Makeup tips? Hair tips? Encouragement?

Because you fuckin got this. I know it. It won't be perfect but you'll get to be you. And that's HUGE.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular

OK SO
    Is there anything we can help with between now and then? Clothes ideas? Makeup tips? Hair tips? Encouragement?

Because you fuckin got this. I know it. It won't be perfect but you'll get to be you. And that's HUGE.

Seconded on the encouragement part... don’t ask me about any of the other items there though, you definitely don’t want my help with any of those.

• Options

OK SO

I have clothes down. I am learning makeup though I am definitely not great at it. I could definitely use tips for makeup and hair.

I do need a lot of encouragement. I am terrified.

Thank you so much for the vote of confidence! I think I have this. . . Maybe?

• Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular

OK SO

I have clothes down. I am learning makeup though I am definitely not great at it. I could definitely use tips for makeup and hair.

You TOTALLY have this! No 'maybe' about it. And there are loads of people here who've metaphorically got your back!

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    And, although it seems terrifying now, the more you do things, the more commonplace they get. I'll never forget how much my hands were shaking the first time I was applying mascara.

Now it's like, beep boop, slap that shit on, out the door.

You can do it! Repetition breeds familiarity!

• Options

OK SO

How do you normally do your hair? As you can see mine is a bit all over and curly, so I have tips for that kinda thing.

As far as makeup, which parts are you struggling with? Brows, eyeliner, mascara, lips?

• Options
    edited December 2018

OK SO

How do you normally do your hair? As you can see mine is a bit all over and curly, so I have tips for that kinda thing.

As far as makeup, which parts are you struggling with? Brows, eyeliner, mascara, lips?

I didn't even think of brows! Eigh.

I have eyeliner but I am afraid of it. I make sure to stare it down and grab items in my train case really fast so it doesn't bite me.

Right now I just condition and blow dry my hair..sometimes I put a clip on one side.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Listen, here's the thing about makeup - do what makes you happy.

No part of it is strictly necessary. (Except for things like washing/priming before doing a given step - take care of your goddamn skin!!) Wearing makeup is about artistry and enhancement - about getting the look you want. So if there's something that you don't want to do, don't do it.

But if you want to try it and just need an encouraging word or some technique advice, that's what we're here for. <3

Brows can be as simple as just taking a brow pencil and coloring in your existing brows to give them a little more shade and definition. Some people go ham with them and like, draw their brows into other shapes, or elongate them along their eyes. Eyeliner can similarly be as simple as drawing a simple small line along your upper eyelid, or just adding a little hook end to the corner of your eye, or going hard femme with full cat eyes and blackened waterlines.

It's all about expression; there's no rules, just outcomes.

Nullzone on
This discussion has been closed.