As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is no such thing as a moral or immoral [book] thread

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I meanwhile finally finished the rest of Gone Away World on the flight from Shanghai yesterday.

HOW ABOUT THAT BOOK HUH.

No I really thought it was awesome and fun and funny and a clever/unique adventure, and good job recommending it, I will now be recommending it also.

Genuine spoilers:
    I did not anticipate the twist being quite what it was (when Gonzo/our narrator get covered in the Stuff I thought something totally different was going on and kept trying to work it out and failing).

And also Ike Thermite and the Matahuxee Mime Combine showing up as the School of the Voiceless Dragon was The. Best.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Great Expectations killed my love of reading for a few years.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Great Expectations killed my love of reading for a few years.

I’m sorry it wasn’t all you’d hoped for.

I’m also sorry for this terrible Dad joke.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I think I wish the various Black Company books had been actively subtitled "Book of [name]"

Had I known going in, I might have chosen to pick up different formats for the different Annalists. There's something appealing in that idea.

Tamin on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2019
    I read Three Moments Of An Explosion yesterday.
    Mixed bag, overall, but there were one or two stories in there which were genuinely brilliant.

tynic on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Spook Country includes a character who rants about Cultural Marxism and new world order conspiracies

this book was written in 2007

people need to listen to William Gibson

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    Spook Country includes a character who rants about Cultural Marxism and new world order conspiracies

this book was written in 2007

people need to listen to William Gibson

Each of the Blue Ant series was so startlingly prescient that it's actually hard to look back now and realise they were written before a lot of their contents became part of the common zeitgeist.

• Options
    it definitely makes his latest book real goddamn scary

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    it definitely makes his latest book real goddamn scary

we do seem to be hurtling towards it as fast as we can

Nick Harkaway and William Gibson follow each other on twitter and watching them interact sometimes feels like eavesdropping on a couple of wizards.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    There is no rollicking fun actiony scifi that will make you feel like shit like The Peripheral does, like man if you're feeling positive and want to fix that pick up The Peripheral

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I look forward to extinguishing this flicker of hope I've been nurturing

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    A supervisor's meeting was just interrupted for about ten minutes while another supervisor and I bullied the other three into putting the Vorkosigan saga on their reading lists.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    A supervisor's meeting was just interrupted for about ten minutes while another supervisor and I bullied the other three into putting the Vorkosigan saga on their reading lists.

*jake happy gif*

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I still haven't begun reading small angry planet

I always have so much trouble starting things

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    But why bother? For years now, Bret Easton Ellis has been accused of being a racist and a misogynist, and I think these things are true; but like most things that are true of Bret Easton Ellis, they are also very boring.

God damn.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I need to stop at the local book store on the way home and get Tiamat's Wrath.

I am excited!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My copy just downloaded. Yay! Kind of sad the series is going to be over, though.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    There's still one more book though. I grabbed mine from Google's store but have to wait until I get home to do the stupid Adobe Rights/Calibre dance to get it on my Kindle.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    There's still one more book though. I grabbed mine from Google's store but have to wait until I get home to do the stupid Adobe Rights/Calibre dance to get it on my Kindle.

Oh shit, they added a 9th book? At some point they were saying it was capping at 8. Nice!

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I missed if it was ever meant to be 8 but wiki still lists an unnamed 9th book in the series.

Haven't opened Tiamat's yet but series speculation:
    One more book makes sense to me for a series arc at least. Tiamat's either about the crazy proto-mars forces and their opposition. Establish a new status quo that probably includes a fair amount of passive/active resistance to the occupation and the formation of at least some Sol based groups buying into them given how the series goes. I wouldn't be shocked if we get some humanization of some of them. That'll probably end up being spiked by the original anti-protomolecule forces emerging and becoming an actual threat. 9 is going to be dealing with them and coming up with a new status quo.

That or they just eat everybody but I'd be shocked by that.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Everything for the advertisement of Tiamat calls it the penultimate. So I always assumed there would be one more.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I missed if it was ever meant to be 8 but wiki still lists an unnamed 9th book in the series.

One more book makes sense to me for a series arc at least. Tiamat's either about the crazy proto-mars forces and their opposition. Establish a new status quo that probably includes a fair amount of passive/active resistance to the occupation and the formation of at least some Sol based groups buying into them given how the series goes. I wouldn't be shocked if we get some humanization of some of them. That'll probably end up being spiked by the original anti-protomolecule forces emerging and becoming an actual threat. 9 is going to be dealing with them and coming up with a new status quo.

That already basically happened in book 7.
    They fire off some ultra-weapon and the black nothing orbs that the Miller persona and Jim found previously appear on the flagship.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    But why bother? For years now, Bret Easton Ellis has been accused of being a racist and a misogynist, and I think these things are true; but like most things that are true of Bret Easton Ellis, they are also very boring.

God damn.

As a shitty nihilist edge lord teen, I tried getting into Ellis and just...woof, are his books awful.

They made 1 1/2 good movies out of his stuff though! (Less than Zero is a turd with some great performances it doesn't deserve).

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I liked American Psycho when I read it, but it was after I'd seen the movie and I definitely think that influences things. The other book I read by him was just kind of boring postmodernism, from what I recall.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

That already basically happened in book 7.
    They fire off some ultra-weapon and the black nothing orbs that the Miller persona and Jim found previously appear on the flagship.
    I don't think the jerkface humans really understand what that meant. At this point only Holden and company have any clue about the anti-protomolecule things and even that's pretty hazy. Given past history, the baddies will see completely inexplicable phenomenon and poke it to try and turn it into a weapon. I half expect to see active intelligent opposition from them. The stuff so far seems...automatic? If they're really that opposed to the protomolecule they've got a lot of smashing to do.

Also, I should probably glance at a wiki to try and remember various faction names instead of jerkface and such.

• Options
    Tiamat's Wrath just starts, huh?

• Options
    Eric made me laugh really really fucking hard when Eric began to get his second wish.

Need to just lay down with a cup of tea qnd a book more often

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Finished Vicious, it was good! I think I'm going to go back and finish the color of magic books, I lost it half way through the second one.

Peen on
  • Options
    I think the business card scene in American Psycho is one of the funniest goddamn things I've ever seen

Other than that I thought it wasn't terribly interesting

• Options
    Tiamat's Wrath just starts, huh?

They waste very little time fucking around.
    Avasarala :(:(:(:(:(

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    American Psycho was the best I read of his, but even then, the movie was way better. It captured the essence of a guy who would just list brands at you and think he was clever better than actually just listing brands at you.

Being filtered through Mary Harron also helps my opinion as well.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Finished Black Leopard, Red Wolf.

Can’t say I would recommend it unless you’re really really really interested in African folklore. The story is fairly engaging once it finally starts 200 pages in, then it goes for a while and then stalls out again. And then horrible stuff keeps happening and then the book just kind of ends.

• Options
    I did start Foundryside though, and I can already tell this book is very much my kind of thing.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Finished Vicious, it was good! I think I'm going to go back and finish the color of magic books, I lost it half way through the second one.

It was not very good. Literally nothing happens in it, and then when shit does finally start to happen, it ends with a cliffhanger for the third one. Thankfully, that one was much better.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    It appears Octavia Butler's wild seed is getting a show.

How hard would it be for me to read if i struggled with Kindred?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Today I did not want to be at work anymore so I went to check out a new bookstore and cafe I was told about.

Oops.

eMP2kgZl.jpg

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I can't decide if I want Hot Dog Taste Test to be fiction or non fiction . :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Lisa Hanawalt is a gift to the world

I was laughing so hard reading it on the train that I was crying and I had to stop because I was getting Looks

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So I thought The Terror was a pretty good read so I started Abominable and holy flippin flyin FUCK there is a lot of climbing chat, like yeah it's a book about climbing a mountain but boy hold on to your whole ass because there is a big ol pile of shit to climb before we get to that mountain and also am I crazy or is everything stated at least twice, like goddamn I'm not even paying much attention to this rope treatise but even I remember the myriad uses of twelve point crampons as outlined fifty fuckin pages ago when we painstakingly inventoried the entire fuckin expedition!

This discussion has been closed.