As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Close Enough to October to talk about Horror [Movies]

19495969798100»

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Spoilers for the Lego Movie
    I think it had one of the best third act reveals ever. Just the way it reframes the movies while keeping with it's theme is pretty genius.

cursedking3cl1ps3N1tSt4lkerCentipede DamascusAndy JoeTaminMuddy WaterLegacySolarReynolds
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Also Thunderdome makes text Max's existence as a weird mythic culture hero and obviously I am into that

Grey GhostShortyCommander Zoom
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I quite like gnosticism in films.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    There is a wide gulf between people being excited for something and harping on something for so long you destroy all my potential enthusiasm for that thing.

I've noticed that when I'm already looking forward to something, I tend to actively ignore all discussion of it until I can experience it for myself. No reviews, no consumer impressions, no analysis; nothing. Just me and the thing, unimpeded by the opinions and thoughts of people who are not me, so I can come to my own conclusions and then go talk about it and maybe even learn something new.

Because the cascading of voices has in the past clouded over my personal agency and influenced my opinion on something before I ever lay hands on it, and that's no fun at all.

Now, if it's something I was eyeballing and on the fence about, I'll read all the other people's opinions I can before jumping in. It's how I got turned towards Hollow Knight, and that shit paid off.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Everytime I watch Fury Road I see something new. There's so much going on in the action scenes they're is no way to process it all in one viewing.

HEY SATAN! HERE'S MY WISHLIST! GO NUTS YOU DEVIL!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1JI9WWSRW1YJI
    ProhassDouglasDangerMolotovCockatoo2 Marcus 2 Ravenssarukun
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i don't trust anyone's opinions but my own

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    i don't trust anyone's opinions but my own

And your opinion is fucking trash.

Fencingsaxdarunia106L Ron HowardShortySolar
    i am a goddamned tastemaker

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    More like a wastemaker

FencingsaxSweeney TomL Ron HowardGrey GhostShorty2 Marcus 2 RavenswanderingSorceSolar
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    i think theres also something to human psychology where we enjoy "discovering" something on our own. The sense of finding something you like for your own reasons and kind of having your mark on it is pretty strong

I tend to low key recommend things to my friends. Like I dont gush over something I love because I want them to discover it on their own. I sort of go "I really enjoyed this film" when secretly my lizard brain is screaming "WATCH THIS FILM IF YOU DONT LIKE IT YOURE DEAD TO ME!"

Prohass on
    Legacy

I'm a Freshmaker

how dare you

6vjsgrerts6r.png

edited November 2018
    I don't recommend movies to anyone around me because then they'll think I'm a fucking weirdo sociopath.

Co-worker - "Steve, whats a good movie to watch this weekend."

Me - "The Greasy Strangler!"

and they never spoke again...

Raijin Quickfoot on

DarkPrimusMagellMaddocL Ron HowardwanderingReynoldssarukunJayrichoBear_thescond
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I don't recommend movies to anyone around me because then they'll think I'm a fucking weirdo sociopath.

Me - "The Greasy Stranger!"

i mean

are you trying to imply that you aren't?

minor incidentL Ron HowardLegacy
    3clipse wrote: »

Me - "The Greasy Stranger!"

i mean

are you trying to imply that you aren't?

No but they don't need to know that!

3cl1ps3darunia106BobbleL Ron HowardReynolds
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Most of the discourse around media is just exhausting to begin with. People constantly talking about a thing I don't watch/play/etc. is even moreso. I don't want to engage with a thing that exhausts me. Hence, the inverse relationship between general hype and interest.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I think the "YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS" "THIS IS THE BEST SHOW" levels of excitement just make the prospect of watching whatever show/movie feel more like homework than something I look forward to

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
    OmnipotentBagelShorty3cl1ps3StiltsCommander ZoomReynoldsBear_thescond
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I have these conversations sometimes and I'm always like "I regret to inform you that The Witcher 3 is good"

rhylithProhass2 Marcus 2 Ravensminor incidentStiltsDamnItCohaagen
    i recommend things and then no one sees them for months, but loves them and by then i don't feel like talking about it anymore

life is hard when you are ahead of your time, friends

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Hermano
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I literally don't have the time to keep up with television at least. I had a super busy October and missed like six talked about shows. And now I have a hell schedule till the end of the year. Which means I'll miss the next six too.

Though it's been kind of freeing in a way. It's finally removed that desire to be caught up, which is nice.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Also I frequently find that everyone is, in fact, wrong about how good a thing is.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Reynolds
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I'm a Freshmaker

dunk raijin in a tub of coca cola

BahamutZERO.gif
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

I'm a Freshmaker

dunk raijin in a tub of coca cola orange juice

L Ron Howard on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The official Birds of Prey title is

"Birds of Prey (or the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)"

which is a mouthful, but fun

• MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    I think Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome suffers mainly by feeling like several decent to good episodes of a mythical Mad Max TV show edited together into a movie (I still like it just fine).

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    The official Birds of Prey title is

"Birds of Prey (or the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)"

which is a mouthful, but fun
    I haaaaate it

Like I don't need it to be an overly dour superhero flick or whatever but that title sucks ass

CYpGAPn.png
    OmnipotentBagelrhylithPreacherMagelldarunia106ShortyDarkPrimusStiltscursedkingDonovan PuppyfuckerLegacy
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

I'm a Freshmaker

LOVE TAKER DON'T YOU MESS AROUND WITH ME

Raijin QuickfootCommander ZoomSolar
    it is a very dumb title but whatever

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I feel like if you replaced Fantabulous with like three other adjectives I would like it

I like those sort of weird long subtitles normally, but that specific word sticks out

It feels too whimsical and twee, while also not really making the long title as long as it could be

Rorshach KringleBlankZoeOmnipotentBageldarunia106BobbleEtchwartsShortyGarlic BreadCentipede DamascusStiltsJimothyph blakeLegacy
    edited November 2018
    Yeah that title is trying way too hard to be cute.

In fact, The Emancipation of One Harley Quinn would have worked great. They gilded the lily

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

BlankZoeStraightzidarunia106EtchwartsShortyStiltsJimothyLegacySorceSolar
    marketing icarus, that's what that title is

6vjsgrerts6r.png

StraightziOmnipotentBageldarunia106EtchwartsAndy JoeStiltscursedkingLegacySorceSolar
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I can already see the posters where the BoP logo and team are standard superhero style and Harley has drawn over it with marker and hand written the subtitle

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    StraightziSweeney TomBahamutZEROBobbleAndy JoeStiltscursedkingwanderingLegacySorce
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    That title is overwritten garbage. Talk about it in the next thread

geth close the thread.

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.