As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SCOTUS] Kavanaugh hearings etc - time to get even madder

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Kavanaugh just send the signal that wealthy and connected men have droit du seigneur.

I don't speak French, but I'm assuming that means wealthy, connected men can do whatever the goose they want.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Despite Kavanaugh's personal shittiness, his SCOTUS decisions wouldn't be any different than anyone else on that short list.

We'd still be freaking out about VRA, Roe, and marriage regardless of who it was.

At least over half the senate wouldn't be all-in on a rapist who lied to their faces.

Republicans have trouble taking this seriously given Senator Feinstein and her colleagues did literally this in 1999

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    The party with more members gets the majority which gives you power like what McConnell is using to destroy this country. As well as stuff like who gets chairs and stuff on committees

It’s useful to have him even if he isn’t useful in votes

Only if the majority votes on the same majority leader, which would not be a lock with Manchin.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Manchin’s vote on this depresses Democrats and voters everywhere in every state

We can either continue to pay that “both sides are the same, at least one Dem voted for the rapist” cost that makes everyone everywhere feel like politics doesn’t matter and voting is useless

Or we could primary his ass and have a chance at winning that seat with a Democrat who votes a little more often with us

At this point why not? I’ve defended keeping Manchin but this vote is beyond the fucking pale, for him and every other yes

I mean, we can't. So the question is what you do if you're in West Virginia in 32 days. Definitely not a campaign you contribute to though.

It shouldn't change the rest of the country's outlook on the Democratic Party though. They voted no except for him. Even people who were probably told it was bad for them politically like McCaskill and Heitkamp and Donnelly.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The other day I was going to make a joke about how the thread title kept proving itself ever more accurate.

Today that seems even truer, but substantially less funny.

I'm not surprised, but remain furious at those who have chosen this path all the same. I don't care if it's in their nature, the fabled scorpion is still an asshole (no I also don't care that this analogy/tale doesn't line up perfectly either).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Manchin’s vote on this depresses Democrats and voters everywhere in every state

We can either continue to pay that “both sides are the same, at least one Dem voted for the rapist” cost that makes everyone everywhere feel like politics doesn’t matter and voting is useless

Or we could primary his ass and have a chance at winning that seat with a Democrat who votes a little more often with us

At this point why not? I’ve defended keeping Manchin but this vote is beyond the fucking pale, for him and every other yes

I mean, we can't. So the question is what you do if you're in West Virginia in 32 days. Definitely not a campaign you contribute to though.

It shouldn't change the rest of the country's outlook on the Democratic Party though. They voted no except for him. Even people who were probably told it was bad for them politically like McCaskill and Heitkamp and Donnelly.

The nihilistic left will still paint it as “both sides” and stay home on Voting day.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Menza is a writer who has written for Vogue and Vanity Fair and Susan Collins is a thousand fetid beetles in a human suit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    This is exactly like Trump, these pieces of filth are turning victims into victimizers. "How dare they point out what a shitty person I'm being."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    This is exactly like Trump, these pieces of filth are turning victims into victimizers. "How dare they point out what a shitty person I'm being."

Hey, it's been working pretty great for him! No wonder more people are jumping on that train.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    How horrible it must be to have to hear and see your constituents at your office, voicing their concerns to your elected representatives.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Kavanaugh just send the signal that wealthy and connected men have droit du seigneur.

I don't speak French, but I'm assuming that means wealthy, connected men can do whatever the goose they want.

It literally means 'right of the lord of the manor'. So, yeah.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Menza is a writer who has written for Vogue and Vanity Fair and Susan Collins is a thousand fetid beetles in a human suit
    Ugggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I need to not pay attention to politics or humanity in general for a bit

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

What a fucking crock of shit. This terrible thing I did is your fault. Language of an abuser.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That tweet sounds shocked at that answer. It's hard to convey that in text. Good on the author.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    If you want Manchin out over his impending vote for Kavanaugh, I think we need to understand where you can push effectively.

I think we need to change the ground underneath him. Push the culture in West Virginia around. Make it so people are more socially connected. Push them to actually believe in having a democratic government that functions. Build toward the majority of people in WV cannot believe someone like Kavanaugh's lies and bullshit, and will not tolerate a Senator who does.

Manchin is a symptom. Not supporting him will not solve the problem. Push the people so that Manchin gets primaried out from the progressive side, and that candidate goes on to win the general even harder.

This is also how you push around the Supreme Court by the way, such as we can.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    FYI, the opposition fund for Collins' opponent is back online, and is up to nearly $2.1 Million.

minor incident on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

This is just some guy, but “legitimacy crisis” is underselling it

We literally live under minority rule

I don’t think it’s doomsaying to ask at what point we are literally no longer a functioning democracy

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    thank you Harry Reid for invoking the nuclear option and dispensing with filibustering. Im sure it was worth it.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Kind of weird that Collins feels "bullied" over hearing from her constituents

• Options
    edited October 2018
    thank you Harry Reid for invoking the nuclear option and dispensing with filibustering. Im sure it was worth it.

Because that was a sacred line which Mitch McConnell would never cross!

Just, fucking own your shit, conservatives.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So bullied by their heart-wrenching stories of sexual assault...that she’s going to vote for a man credibly accused of the same.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

That's kind of a GOP standby. It's the basis for why so many Congresspeople refuse to hold town hall events in their home districts anymore.

Then when their constituents come to their DC offices, they're being "bullied".

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

I don’t think it’s doomsaying to ask at what point we are literally no longer a functioning democracy

This is old news. The way America's system was designed is to have some votes be more equal than others.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Versailles on the Potomac, y'all.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

Nope. I wanna go there, but I just can't, because the first shot was fired by McConnell refusing to accept *any* Obama judiciary appointments, putting the country in a serious judicial crisis.

That's where the system was broken by bad faith actors. Everything since has just been the inevitable spiral.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

democrats never do anything and the gop breaks all the rules so why bother doing anything

democrats cause all the rules to be broken so it's not the gop's fault so why bother doing anything

ok.

harry reid's greatest flaw was not dispensing the non-scotus judicial filibuster, but not doing it sooner! recognizing the game that was being played is easy from 2018 without the many years of belief in institutions and norms that had yet to be entirely torn down though.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Conservatives are trying to turn the majority into a minority. If you are in the latter category, it is worth thinking about how conservatives treat minorities in America.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    The party with more members gets the majority which gives you power like what McConnell is using to destroy this country. As well as stuff like who gets chairs and stuff on committees

Useful in some sense, sure. But it feels like a Faustian bargain at times like this.

It presumes one believes he’d not vote for McConnel

After this I have no trust he wouldn’t

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

Wall Street Journal reporter

Grassley says they can't get any Republican women on Judiciary because Judiciary is a lot of work and it's just too much for their ladybrains. But yeah, sure, this was a fair hearing.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    god i hate chuck grassley

i wish i had something more insightful to say but god what a fuckin' sack of shit that dude is.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

This is old news. The way America's system was designed is to have some votes be more equal than others.

Reminder that American Society has had to goddamn claw the franchise into the hands of the wider citizenry and away from being the sole domain of white male landed gentry from the very founding

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Useful in some sense, sure. But it feels like a Faustian bargain at times like this.

It presumes one believes he’d not vote for McConnel

After this I have no trust he wouldn’t

Unless he explicitly starts caucusing with the Republicans, he doesn't have the option to vote for McConnell. It's not like the House where everyone votes for speaker. The party with the biggest caucus gets the leadership no matter what.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I got the pleasure to see him in action for the first time during this whole thing and I had to google who would let such a dinosaur in.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Wall Street Journal reporter

Grassley says they can't get any Republican women on Judiciary because Judiciary is a lot of work and it's just too much for their ladybrains. But yeah, sure, this was a fair hearing.

I can quite believe that Republican female politicians are all idiots, after today.

• Options
    edited October 2018

they won the House by 2 million votes, not sure how they lost the senate by 10 million at the same time

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    edited October 2018

they won the House by 2 million votes, not sure how they lost the senate by 10 million at the same time

California, with no Republican in the race.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Homer captures my feelings better than I could

(Kerry O’Malley is an actor)

(Emily Wilson is a classicist and translator)

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Y'all may find the latest issue of Why is this happening by Chris Hayes enlightening.

It's an interview with Rebecca Traister on Women, Rage, and Power in America, and they talk extensively on the Kavanaugh situation. It's a good listen.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    This isn't really a place for retweeting Twitter takes.

• Options

California, with no Republican in the race.

Ah, good point. That undercuts the legitimacy crisis angle a little bit.

This discussion has been closed.