As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Forsaken: A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Guess I'd better buckle down and grind out the EP stuff. All I got to show for beating it once is a cloak.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Is there a suggested video for the raid chest I need to look for?

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Ikelos shotgun get! Now to farm for nodes on mars for sleeper

I wish I had know I needed to do that step before I blew all 40 of my mats farming for the bray sniper and shorty prior to 2.0

Part of me thinks I should wait to do these exotic quests until that slot is the one I need for power level gains

616610-1.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    So, I got another exotic, the Black Talon. Hilariously I got it during the Ascendant challenge this week, literally like 10 seconds after muttering in clan chat about how much this challenge annoyed me because I hate using swords.

And at first I was a bit underwhelmed. Cause really, the weapon is really simple. It's a sword. And instead of a normal heavy attack, it shoots a projectile. And that's it. There's really nothing else to the thing. But you start running around with the thing a bit and I think it's actually quite strong. Especially for PvP.

The big thing is this: the ranged heavy attack is almost literally just a void version of the dawnblade super. Like, straight up almost the same. It shoots a similar looking projectile that both tracks it's target and explodes on contact and as far as I can tell is a straight up OHK in PvP. The big differences between the two are the Black Talon projectile is slightly smalled, I think the aoe is slightly smaller too, and it also shoots faster, straighter and further.

You can pump those projectiles out SUPER fast. To the point where you have to be careful or you will burn through your whole ammo pool in less then 10 seconds or something. The AoE explosion is solid. It's got the perk that gives ammo back on heavy attack kills, so it takes 3 but if you secure a kill you get 1 back. This makes it quite good for clear adds. It also does some damn good damage against yellow bars, taking huge chunks from their HP with each hit. Not so great against bosses as it runs out of ammo real fast so I'd stick with Whisper for that kind of thing.

In PvP the benefits of a tracking OHK projectile with an AoE explosion seem pretty obvious.

Biggest thing to watch out for is that using the heavy attack still makes you lunge forward, even when it's firing the projectile. So you can easily accidentally lunge yourself off a ledge if you aren't paying attention. You also gotta be a bit careful if you are trying to hit stuff on ground above or below you since it can be hard to aim the thing so it doesn't hit the ground on the way to a target from the 3rd person perspective in those situations.

Also, it looks pretty baller.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Got a Tigerspite from a kitty offering. Perks are pretty trash but damn this gun is straight up savage even still.
    I didn't think anything could come between me and Ether Doctor, but here we are and I think if I can get one of these puppies with some worthwhile perks on it then me and ghetto AR-15 are history.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I still find it monumentally funny that Cerberus+1 has a bunch of shotgun barrel perks on it

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Got a Tigerspite from a kitty offering. Perks are pretty trash but damn this gun is straight up savage even still.
    I didn't think anything could come between me and Ether Doctor, but here we are and I think if I can get one of these puppies with some worthwhile perks on it then me and ghetto AR-15 are history.

I got an outlaw/kill clip godroll one last night and I actually like it alot. Richochet rounds for some extra range ain't bad. Handling masterwork is ... kinda whatever. The first few with ok but not really great rolls I wasn't a fan of but this recent one is really clicking with me.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I had that same sword drop last week, and thought it was neat, but I wasn't really into Sword and it chugged through ammo really fast so I'd shelved it for now.

I do want to try and use it more because it looks awesome.

But then I'd have to stop using my Cerberus+1 and that's hard to do since that gun melts adds like butter.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    My sub par Tigerspite has Grave Robber and Tap the Trigger which are utterly forgettable, however it does have Rick O'Shea rounds and Polygonal so honeslty it's not a total write off.
    I think I'd rather have a stability MW instead of range but whatever, the gun feels really easy to control as is so I'm even considering skipping on a counterbalance mod in it in favour of major damage or backup mag,

This might be my favourite AR so far tbh and I can see why I've been getting tuned up by it so much in Crucible.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I know no one really responds to lower level players, but I wanted yo restate that Legacy Strikes are fucking stupid.

You unlock this stuff at level 15 and even can buy bounties, but they appear to calibrate to the highest level guy in the party.

This is almost always level 20 which makes everything immune to lower level guys.

Why the hell even unlock these events at this level? It's just a colossal waste of time.

Three times I've ended up in a strike with two guys who have the same clan tag. I'm guessing they hoped they would get a third guy who could actually damage enemies, but we're stuck with me instead.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    They finally left once I guess they realized it's doable to cheese one low level through these things, but not two.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I know no one really responds to lower level players, but I wanted yo restate that Legacy Strikes are fucking stupid.

You unlock this stuff at level 15 and even can buy bounties, but they appear to calibrate to the highest level guy in the party.

This is almost always level 20 which makes everything immune to lower level guys.

Why the hell even unlock these events at this level? It's just a colossal waste of time.

Three times I've ended up in a strike with two guys who have the same clan tag. I'm guessing they hoped they would get a third guy who could actually damage enemies, but we're stuck with me instead.

I think when I first unlocked the strikes I couldn't actually load into them due to being too low level.
    I'm not sure why but it seems like Bungie assumes people will play through their campaigns start to finish before doing other stuff despite them unlocking other stuff during the campaign.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Just started another legacy strike with a level 20 and 50, for some reason can damage enemies.

• Options
    Just started another legacy strike with a level 20 and 50, for some reason can damage enemies.

So far as I'm aware in Destiny 2 the damage falloff algorithm is entirely based on power level, not level...level. Somewhere on the selection screen in the Director there should be a PL recommendation. If your PL is within 50 of it you'll be able to do damage.

• Options
    There's a bunch of stuff that the changes in Forsaken kinda broke about the sub-Forsaken experience.

The way it used to work in Destiny 2 as I remember is you basically couldn't access the playlists till you finished the campaign. The entire base game was designed to force you to do the entire campaign as a sort of single-player/co-op experience and then at the very end, right before the final missions, it starts slowly unlocking things bit by bit via quests. You get one for strikes and then one for patrols and one for crucible and as you do each you unlock the milestones for them. Basically introducing you to the MMO-like endgame of Destiny as the campaign closes down.

This all tended to work pretty well, although it meant getting your alts ready involved having to rerun everything all over again, which got a bit tedious by the 3rd time.

From the comments I gather that it's less coherent these days.

• Options
    edited September 2018

So far as I'm aware in Destiny 2 the damage falloff algorithm is entirely based on power level, not level...level. Somewhere on the selection screen in the Director there should be a PL recommendation. If your PL is within 50 of it you'll be able to do damage.

Yeah, your actual level is essentially irrelevant in this game. It's basically a new number you grind up to with each expansion and it gates higher light level gear and that's it.

The only number that matters for what content you can and cannot do is your light level, which is based on the average of the big number on all the gear you are wearing.

So as long as your power level is high enough, you can damage stuff and your actual level doesn't matter.

Also of note, the game caps out your damage vs PvE enemies after a while. If you are a certain amount below the power level of the activity, you will do no damage. You also take more damage if you are below the activities power level.

Your damage scales upward slightly as you go above the power level of the activity (it's actually only based on your weapons power level for that still afaik) and but that caps out eventually too. So basically a lvl 50 player at 600 power and a lvl 13 at 125 power will be doing mostly similar damage in a 100 power strike.

PS - I think D2 actually uses power level and D1 uses light level but they mean the same thing and people just use one or the other constantly.

shryke on
  • Options
    I'm a brand new destiny player and just none of this makes sense.

You unlock activities you can't participate in and constantof are told to grind for reputation for equipment you cannot use.

It's just a constant feed of stuff the game tells you to do, but you can't actually participate.

Like, they expect you to ignore prompts to crucible, strike team, or farm reputation and instead drill down to the third option for the next story quest?

• Options

You unlock activities you can't participate in and constantof are told to grind for reputation for equipment you cannot use.

It's just a constant feed of stuff the game tells you to do, but you can't actually participate.

Like, they expect you to ignore prompts to crucible, strike team, or farm reputation and instead drill down to the third option for the next story quest?

There's not actually a reputation system in the game. What's the specific thing it's asking you for? Cause I'm actually not sure what thing you are talking about when you say that.

Like, do you have a bunch of milestones on the side of the map screen that pull out when you hit tab? Or is this stuff all just the flashy icons over various planets and such in the map screen, next to the planet/activity's name?

• Options
    Every quest hub npc has a list of equipment and the little zone specific items you grind for? And you can spend those same items to increase a horizontal bar under their name.

I assumed it was a reputation thing?

• Options

If you look back around halfway through the last thread you can find many pages of people who've been playing Destiny for years complaining about the same thing due to the level of the recently-released raid. Bungie makes weird decisions.

• Options
    Every quest hub npc has a list of equipment and the little zone specific items you grind for? And you can spend those same items to increase a horizontal bar under their name.

I assumed it was a reputation thing?

Only kinda.

The way it works is each planet has a currency it drops. You get this from harvesting it while running around the map, from chests, from doing public events, from adventures, etc, etc. Basically anything you are doing on the planet.

Each zone also has a set of armour that drops there and a small set of weapons that drop there too.

You turn in the currency to the planet's vendor and you get an engram with something from that planet's lootpool in it.

The other thing you can do is you can turn in that currency, plus some glimmer (the Destiny equivalent of gold) and maybe some shards too I don't remember and directly buy things. Each vendor will sell their entire armour set and 1 of their weapons, with the weapon being sold rotating every X number of hours. This is basically so that if you want to collect the entire armour set or a specific weapon you don't have to rely entirely on the engrams, which are 100% purely random.

Now, the game technically tracks how many of those engrams you've picked up. And that's kind of like a reputation level. But that number doesn't actually matter at all. Literally the only thing it does is you need a certain number of turn ins before you can buy certain pieces directly from the vendor. This caps out at 10 though.

There is literally nothing else going on there and absolutely no need to grind it. Unless you want to collect the gear from that vendor or you specifically want something they are selling, you don't need to worry about this stuff at all.

Just run through the campaign. The game is designed so that you do the campaign first and everything unlocks at the end and by then you will be high enough level to actually do those activities. Till then you just need to get high enough power level to do the next mission. Your best bet there is either do some PvP for fun or run some adventures on the planet you are on or just do some public events.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Ok, this might help a bit.

Here's what your map screen should look vaguely like, although you might not have all these planets and such unlocked yet:
    lyvibzzgure4.jpg
    This is what you should see when you hit Tab and hold (you are on PC right?). Except for the bright primary coloured boxes that I added obviously.
    It's called the Director btw. That's the official Bungie name for it, so if you see people talk about the director, that's what they mean.

The stuff circled in red? That's your big objectives. That's the next campaign mission and probably at your level a few other things telling you to try a match of PvP one time or something. You'll get a few more things here as you go along and then a lot less over time. (by endgame there's nothing there)

These are the important things you should do. Specifically, as I said before, the campaign. If you aren't done the campaign, that's the only thing you should really be worried about. If there is other things there, you should probably do them eventually but campaign first and foremost.

The icons circled in blue are linked to the stuff in red and the icon is telling you "To do this thing on the side, you click on this thing on the map".

The stuff circled in green all over the place? Those little yellow icons? Those are milestones. Their purpose is that in the endgame, after you've done the campaign and everything, these are the things you run around the game doing in order to get big rewards that will raise your level up. You basically don't need to worry about any of these things till after you've finished the campaign.

Maybe that will help.

If you need help with anything else I can walk you through like the vendor screens and such too.

shryke on
  • Options
    @shryke I really appreciate the explanation of what's going on. I'm not unfamiliar with opaque game systems, but wow did I have no idea what was going on.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

I think I responded in the old thread after this one was already open but this is basically just borked because of how the rejiggered things because of Forsaken. All of that stuff and the place you unlock it in the campaign (near the end) used to be perfectly fine. However with the release of Forsaken they made the Legacy Playlist for people that did not buy Forsaken (and maybe none of the other DLC either) as such they set it at the Light Level people would be at at max level with close to max level gear from the vanilla game.

It's unfortunate - it is one of those weird quirks that comes with MMO (or quasi MMO) systems when they add/update content but don't go back and adjust old stuff to take that into account.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    @shryke sadly I am on ps.

Okay, how does reputation work? I spent 10 "Vanguard Technician Tokens" and got...nothing, expect the little reputation bar went up.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

There's not actually a reputation system in the game. What's the specific thing it's asking you for? Cause I'm actually not sure what thing you are talking about when you say that.

Like, do you have a bunch of milestones on the side of the map screen that pull out when you hit tab? Or is this stuff all just the flashy icons over various planets and such in the map screen, next to the planet/activity's name?

The irony is that D1 had something closer to a "real" reputation system where you earned faction for doing bounties/patrols/quests to whichever faction you pledged to and every time you raised your reputation a level you got a package of loot. With some of the loot/exotic class items being tied to reaching a certain rank threshold. It is a little more like that now in Forsaken (although not with actual Factions ala FWC, NM or DO like D1) but it definitely was just effectively "turn in x tokens to get loot from this vendor" when D2 launched.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    shryke sadly I am on ps.

Okay, how does reputation work? I spent 10 "Vanguard Technician Tokens" and got...nothing, expect the little reputation bar went up.

Most of the vendors that still take tokens (or planetary materials now for that matter) give you some random loot from their loot pool when you give them enough tokens. Vanguard and Crucible are 20 tokens per reward, Gunsmith is 100 parts per reward. Factions were 20 as well, not sure what they will be whenever they come back.

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    @squall99x oh so I keep donating to this bar and when it gets full I get an item?

• Options
    @squall99x oh so I keep donating to this bar and when it gets full I get an item?

Correct.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    As a heads up though, if it still works like pre-Forsaken, you won't be able to claim or use the gear you get from token/material turn-ins until level 20.

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    As a heads up though, if it still works like pre-Forsaken, you won't be able to claim or use the gear you get from token/material turn-ins until level 20.

That makea sense as I didn't just get anything for completing my Io bar.

Man, imagine if they took a moment to explain any of this via tool tips.

• Options
    Bungie seems to have some kind of internal policy opposing explanations.
    I think they probably have a room where they store the twitching husks of developers forced to produce the 'how to play Gambit' pop-up tips.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Also, if you've got Forsaken, for Shaxx/Zavala at least, I'd recommend waiting until the 40's until turning in their tokens.

They aren't ever powerful rewards so they generally won't do anything for you there, but once you're in the 40's you can start getting their set pieces, and iirc, after 40, they will be power 500, even though you can't use them until 46/47 I believe; but it's not a bad thing to just have as much 500 stuff as you can the second you can equip it to get any amount of jump start on the 500-600 grind. Nothing in the Forsaken campaign rewards powerful engrams, so it doesn't matter if you're at the cap before doing Forsaken...

However, unless they changed it with Forsaken (and I'm not going to delete/relevel to find out) both CoO and Warmind handed out a bunch of powerful engrams during their questlines, despite there being a lot of assumptions they didn't. I'm not sure if they would remain powerful rewards at 50, if you leveled via PE's and such prior to doing those campaigns? Or if the rewards for those campaigns are now locked below 400. I know for sure, however, that even after Warmind came out, doing the CoO campaign at level 30 would still give powerful rewards from it, with Warmind power levels. So they would have had to go through and actively change those to not do so in Forsaken.

My point is, if you can handle the grind, it could be worth just leveling to 50 before doing any of the CoO/Warmind content, for more powerful level gear...

Though it wouldn't necessarily be the most exciting way to play the game. Maybe something worth considering for alts, if you choose to make some?

I'm really realizing right now how hard it is to communicate to someone who just wants to play the game without all the details of the power level grind and how to optimize that coloring all the ways I personally play the game. I recall in D1 getting the game for a friend and giving him all these tips on how to "best" do things to maximize light and ease the end-game grind, when all he wanted from the game was to play the campaigns and call it good. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

Also, if you've got Forsaken, for Shaxx/Zavala at least, I'd recommend waiting until the 40's until turning in their tokens.

They aren't ever powerful rewards so they generally won't do anything for you there, but once you're in the 40's you can start getting their set pieces, and iirc, after 40, they will be power 500, even though you can't use them until 46/47 I believe; but it's not a bad thing to just have as much 500 stuff as you can the second you can equip it to get any amount of jump start on the 500-600 grind. Nothing in the Forsaken campaign rewards powerful engrams, so it doesn't matter if you're at the cap before doing Forsaken...

However, unless they changed it with Forsaken (and I'm not going to delete/relevel to find out) both CoO and Warmind handed out a bunch of powerful engrams during their questlines, despite there being a lot of assumptions they didn't. I'm not sure if they would remain powerful rewards at 50, if you leveled via PE's and such prior to doing those campaigns? Or if the rewards for those campaigns are now locked below 400. I know for sure, however, that even after Warmind came out, doing the CoO campaign at level 30 would still give powerful rewards from it, with Warmind power levels. So they would have had to go through and actively change those to not do so in Forsaken.

My point is, if you can handle the grind, it could be worth just leveling to 50 before doing any of the CoO/Warmind content, for more powerful level gear...

Though it wouldn't necessarily be the most exciting way to play the game. Maybe something worth considering for alts, if you choose to make some?

I'm really realizing right now how hard it is to communicate to someone who just wants to play the game without all the details of the power level grind and how to optimize that coloring all the ways I personally play the game. I recall in D1 getting the game for a friend and giving him all these tips on how to "best" do things to maximize light and ease the end-game grind, when all he wanted from the game was to play the campaigns and call it good. :lol:

On that same note: I only play one character and don't really pay attention to the 'best' way to play re: optimizing my drops but I'm in the 560's this week, so while you won't be on the bleeding edge and maxing out your level like Elki it's totally viable to just play the game.

• Options
    I did just get a rifle that looks like it was stolen from the Stargate movie prop room.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Got up to Riven with some folks tonight. I don't understand how anyone figured Vaults out organically.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    So, breakthrough is garbage. There's essentially no reason to try for the breaker at all. Just stand back and defend and you win or go to a tie every time. Poorly designed, as is the case for most of the PvP efforts lately. We tried to play it as it was meant a few times, but once we realized that the team in control of the breaker has a much further run back it was easy. We've yet to lose doing it so far.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    The little bit of breaker I played it seemed like you could spawn camp the defenders pretty hard which might be a counter incentive

I think in theory it’ll play like overwatch which has similar soaen advantages but you learn to fall back and not trickle

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Sure would be nice to be able to get this boss to show up in Gambit

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    The little bit of breaker I played it seemed like you could spawn camp the defenders pretty hard which might be a counter incentive

I think in theory it’ll play like overwatch which has similar soaen advantages but you learn to fall back and not trickle

In order to get the soaen advantage, do you have to spend super mitboost gates? Or is that only for the cutest molaihts?

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)