As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    If you’re not first you’re last!

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Pitax has been axed, I'm in the home stretch.

Pitax palace was my second favorite dungeon in kingmaker.

It was a good one. The layout was a little weird, with the basement you can pop in and out of. I liked that there were just bedrooms for the various monsters or hellspawn Irovetti had been hiring.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Pitax has been axed, I'm in the home stretch.

Pitax palace was my second favorite dungeon in kingmaker.

It was a good one. The layout was a little weird, with the basement you can pop in and out of. I liked that there were just bedrooms for the various monsters or hellspawn Irovetti had been hiring.

Also super enjoyed all the secret option fights like the ogre magi and the ghost.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I have filled it out!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I have filled it out!

For the love of all that's good and pure in CRPGs, everyone please fill out this survey. It has some questions that directly query a lot of our concerns. I would specifically like to mention that it lets you specifically indicate that Act 5 and 6 are too short and don't have enough content. So, if you're like me, and think the game was excellent through the end of Act 3 and that Act 4 was good but not as good as the previous acts, and that Acts 5 and 6 were way too short, now you can tell that to Owlcat!

I personally would love to see them flesh out the last two acts. That, to my mind, would do much more for future re-playability than DLC.

htm on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Personally, I found Act 4 to be the worst. By a huge, huge margin I felt Act 4 was the worst. I was perfectly fine with Chapter 5 and 6. And I said so.

I also repeatedly said how the late game mythic paths need to be available way earlier.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I've filled at least three of the text fields with complaints about where they put Mythic 10 in the story.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I liked Act 4 but the city's "gimmick" and layout was BS.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    The game completely lost me in Act 4.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    act 4 would've been a lot better if navigating the city wasn't absolute trash and the gimmick wasn't buggy as all get out

• Options
    Huh. I liked Act 4 a lot. Act 5-6 was when the wind left my sails.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Act 3 is too long (if you want to do everything, at least). I ran out of steam before even getting to 4.

Crusade mode definitely doesn't help there.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    I found that Act 3 is definitely paced around having you participate in the Crusade mode. Using the mod to just instant-win army battles, I was finishing most quests faster than the game was anticipating, so I'd be getting ready to start Act 4 and then whoops, a new set of companion quests are now spawning.

I liked Act 4 but the camera rotation thing was awful. At one point, I lost like an hour of progress because the landscape just stopped moving and I was stuck on an island, and even my last save it was still bugged. Had to go two back to finally be at a spot where it would work again. Also almost had to restart from a save point because the rotating platforms in that mage tower got my main PC stuck on one and it stopped rotating, so he couldn't get off. Thankfully I had a dimension door spell saved up so he could zap himself across the gap.

And then yeah, Act 5 is still a little un-polished and Act 6 basically doesn't even exist. Getting mythic 10 at the last second doesn't help anything.

• Options
    I'm actually totally fine with Mythic 10 being at the last minute. I've done similar things as a DM, so it worked for me. I totally understand why it would upset people though, and I don't really have a preference. Leave it where it is, make it sooner, I'm fine either way.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    I'd have had a better time with Act 5 if the crusade mechanics had just died by that point.

• Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I'm actually totally fine with Mythic 10 being at the last minute. I've done similar things as a DM, so it worked for me. I totally understand why it would upset people though, and I don't really have a preference. Leave it where it is, make it sooner, I'm fine either way.

For 7 of the 10 paths, it doesn't matter that much. For the original six, you've been playing as that the whole time and there isn't much of a capstone, just extensions of what you've already been doing.
    Legend is sort of its own thing, it doesn't really have a last-second addition. You do your quests and then get a fuckton of XP and off you go.

For the 3 "extra" mythic paths though, it seriously handicaps them since you basically only get Act 5 to play as them. And they all have some kind of big capstone ability at the 10th level that you really don't get to use at all and yet is actually the big mechanical draw of the path itself.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Huh. I liked Act 4 a lot. Act 5-6 was when the wind left my sails.

I liked Act 4, but I also think that the Act 4 geography gimmicks were kind of stupid. I never really understand the really vocal hatred for them, though. In terms of city navigation, getting around in Act 4 is generally faster and easier than getting around Kenabraes in Act 1.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Act IV but I think it is where the game really started to fall apart. Bugs went from "this is annoying" to "this wasted two hours of my time" and the good bits of the game started to collapse under the bad bits. Lots of high concept ideas that just didn't work very well. Coming out of Act IV to be punished by Act V doesn't help either.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Act 4 was fine quest/content wise.

But then you had to do all the fiddling around with the camera rotation waiting for setpieces to move just so you could get to quests, or see turn-based movement just completely break with your characters somehow not able to move in any direction but one because of what I can only assume was the gimmick fucking up pathing. Navigating the city in a reasonable time before you got any of the coins for mid/upper city is a pita too.

• Options
    It took me a little while to figure out the camera rotation thing but once I did I oscillated between really liking it and really hating it.

They needed to do something to make it feel like...ahem...where Act 4 takes place.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    It took me a little while to figure out the camera rotation thing but once I did I oscillated between really liking it and really hating it.

They needed to do something to make it feel like...ahem...where Act 4 takes place.

I think that they should have had things be kinda random in the zones. Connected together in constant ways, but people are always in different places every time you arrive.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    When it comes to Act 4
    There was nothing in it that I was invested in. I wasn't expecting it to be a whole chapter, I thought I was going into a dungeon to stop the crystal stuff and that I'd be back in the real game with the overworld map in an hour or two, getting a chapter about watching what happens to the Crusade with the Queen in charge. Instead Chapter 4 yanked me away from everything I was interested in story wise and just went on and on and I didn't care about any of it at all.

I think that's probably why I am fine with Chapter 5. That chapter gave me the aftermath of all the stuff I actually wanted to see in chapter 4 and didn't get to.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Well I guess I'm done again until something resolves or I figure something out or they overhaul the game, this was just my 100th bug, my 100th bug report, fuck it, I'm out.

My Inquisitor "died." He got back up again, had death's door. I go back to camp. Well, the Act 2 even that happens in camp, happens in camp. So I can't rest. So I use a scale to remove Death's Door, and I head outside, and....uh....why aren't my teamwork feats showing up anymore? I grab more party members, maybe that's the problem! Yeah, just not enough dudes. I grab more dudes, my class feature and feats still aren't working. I'm guessing they're just gone until I rest but fuck this game has just broken me, I'm done, I can't anymore.

• Options
    Finally, finally finished Kingmaker. I might make a longer post late but I just want to say now that the House at the End of Time suuuuucks. Fuck that dungeon, the worst ever.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I used bag of tricks liberally to get through House at the End of Time. The mist changing your world state, but not obviously, teleporting you, and having to fiddle with the lantern were driving me nuts. I just turned on the teleport key and did my own. Would never have finished the mirror sidequest otherwise. The gall of thinking that was a good idea. The ghostly guards that come in packs of no less than 4, immune to sneak attack and crit, evasion+high reflex and with 20 damage reduction. And they'reeverywhere. Fuck you.
    The actual boss was a fucking joke after them. Do encounter building right, Owlcat.

The actual final level was way better. Reasonable enemies in reasonable amounts. Mandatory buffs were never more mandatory, since most of my party had no chance against their AoE paralyze attacks. But once I realized everyone just needs freedom of movement, it was no problem. That and them being vulnerable to my old friend Stinking Cloud. Had gotten used to just blowing up enemies, not disabling them.

I managed to get Irlene's Grandmaster Rod before the last dungeons and boy is that thing amazing. 3x/day Maximize and Empower, plus pierce spell resistance and immunity. Throwing out 410 damage hellfire rays and 180 damage stormbolts. Made my sorcerer's damage very relevant again.

Tried to get away from using Tristian in the end with mostly success. His buffs and heals are great but unless he's casting he's dead weight. Piss poor shot with his crossbows but ironically my best Perception character. Sorcerer/Alchemist/Bard cover a lot of the needed buffs.

So my end party was me (Sylvan sorc), my leopard, Valerie, Ekundayo, Jubilost, Nok-Nok, and Octavia. Octavia was probably the weakest link but she was giving us that level 9 communal Greater Heroism. Still probably should have taken the kineticists or Tristian though. Valerie tanks, as do the pets. Nok-Nok does insane sneak attack damage. Jubilost has key buffs and bombs to target touch AC and different damage types. Ekundayo does nearly as good damage as Nok-Nok just from range. Octavia had a few more good buffs and a bunch of Disintegrates. Scrolls and potions for healing.

There were a lot of ending slides, probably too many. But I like that kind of stuff so I didn't mind much. Most things went well but I had some guide help there.

captaink on
  • Options
    I have tried to beat Kingmaker 3 times but every time I hit get to that House and my party either wipes horribly or barely makes it and then just hobbles to the next encounter to die horribly.
    I really should try again and cheat my way through it or something just to see the end.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    I have tried to beat Kingmaker 3 times but every time I hit get to that House and my party either wipes horribly or barely makes it and then just hobbles to the next encounter to die horribly.
    I really should try again and cheat my way through it or something just to see the end.

I gave up at the house and never came back. I also just finished WotR a few days ago. I’m not actually sure it really improved in KM’s flaws but I didn’t hit a similar road block as the house.

• Options
    I endorse cheating outrageously through the House. You're incredibly close to the end, get there and see it!

• Options
    Does anyone have any super-synergistic combos for class/mythic path? Either storywise or ability-wise. I'm looking ahead to the first character and next couple of alts that I will surely make.

• Options
    Does anyone have any super-synergistic combos for class/mythic path? Either storywise or ability-wise. I'm looking ahead to the first character and next couple of alts that I will surely make.

For the most part you don't really need to worry about it ability-wise, most mythic abilities key off of your mythic level and character level and don't touch your ability scores at all.

Story-wise, the mythic paths do correlate to certain alignments.

As for synergies:

Aeon and Inquisitor stack their abilities.

Trickster and Demon grant more sneak attack dice.

Azata and Bard go very well together, as they should.

Gold Dragon and Druid work well together if you focus on shapeshifting and grabbing weapon focus on Claw and Bite, as well as grabbing general mythic abilities amping up your wild shape (these apply to your eventual Gold Dragon form), plus as you go Angel 3-7 until you can become a Gold Dragon, you get an expanded spellbook.

Angel, Demon, Lich, and others also grant the ability to expand spellbooks which makes them very potent combined with a full 1-9 caster class.

• Options
    Well I guess I'm done again until something resolves or I figure something out or they overhaul the game, this was just my 100th bug, my 100th bug report, fuck it, I'm out.

My Inquisitor "died." He got back up again, had death's door. I go back to camp. Well, the Act 2 even that happens in camp, happens in camp. So I can't rest. So I use a scale to remove Death's Door, and I head outside, and....uh....why aren't my teamwork feats showing up anymore? I grab more party members, maybe that's the problem! Yeah, just not enough dudes. I grab more dudes, my class feature and feats still aren't working. I'm guessing they're just gone until I rest but fuck this game has just broken me, I'm done, I can't anymore.

Several days later, I loaded my save again, and my shit was turned back on, so uh, hooray, onward.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Of the starting ones:

Angel and Lich can combine their spellbooks with that of caster classes able to reach lvl 9 spells (IIRC Divine for Angel, Arcane for Lich) which often means getting access to higher level spell slots sooner than normal, while using what is probably a higher DC for Mythic Path only-spells than you would normally have for those starting out, since stand-alone mythic spellbooks use your Mythic Rank rather than an attribute for their DC calculations.

Azata bardsongs benefit from Bard/performance features and feats.

Aeon and Inquisitor Judgment uses stack.

Trickster gains sneak attack die, and some skill trick options require you to be good in those skills (sometimes only counting ranks rather than adding all your skill bonuses too) to be effective.

Demonic Rage activates Barbarian Rage powers (though not Bloodrager bloodline powers, unless they've fixed that. There's a mod that lets you do that if they haven't/not a bug)

Those are all more about "special" combos, however. Pretty much every one of the Mythic Paths has things you can pick up that can be beneficial to pretty much any class or role. There are Lich options that are amazing for martial classes, for example, and one of the more powerful Demon builds is as a traditional caster who picks Demonic Aspects to turn their rage into a powerful spell-boosting ability rather than a martial one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Several days later, I loaded my save again, and my shit was turned back on, so uh, hooray, onward.

I have noticed that some "always on" buffs like teamwork feats and the bonuses from certain rings will occasionally disappear, but they come back after a reload/scene change. I never did check if they're no longer listed in my active buffs; I just assumed it was a visual glitch and the buffs were still there.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I didn't do Act V yet, but Beastcaller Bard Azata felt really powerful up to Act IV. Mainly because your summons can keep up thanks to performance and all the team mythic abilities, and you don't give a fuck if they die. So you have this floating hp/damage pool that gets into melee, allowing you to run 4 companions with magic / ranged (+bard + 1 tanky person)
    The only downside is that one of the Azata summons loves to spam lightning bolt with no regard for where your team is....

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Ok. Thinking Grenadier Alchemist. But I also feel like i should be one of the new classes/archetypes.

Arcanist seems like an ideal combo but I just finished a Sorcerer. And really their 4 casts per day is going to feel low after my sorcerer's 8. Though I guess part of that is from high Charisma. The arcane pool seems most useful for bumping your existing spells rather than casting new ones.

Seems like there's a lot of Barbarian mix-ins. Bloodrager is sorcerer-barb, Skald is bardbarian. There's a new barbarian archetype that's sort of a monk barbarian.

Hunter also seems cool, the parts I like about ranger (animal companion, spells) without the cruft (favored enemies, terrains). Though I guess favored enemies is easy this time.

I don't think I saw a good bard NPC, which is unfortunate. They are apparently really good in pathfinder. Dirge Bard seemed good, drop some minor stuff for cool fear and undead/death abilities. Beast Tamer maybe too, I rarely use anything but inspire courage. I wish there was some kind of Intelligence bard so I could go nuts with skills.

captaink on
  • Options
    Oh, Witch. It seems like one of the favorite companions is one so I probably wouldn't go for it. But what's their deal? It seems like a Wizard, as it's a full caster-intelligence-prepared. But they lose a chunk (not sure how big) of the wizard spell list. In return they get hexes, which I believe are spammable? And a patron which sounds similar to a cleric domain (extra spells to your list, a minor ability or two).

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't feel too locked in to specific class/mythic combos because the mythic paths I tried mostly worked completely independently of anything my class was doing. Can you get merged spellbooks and certain synergies going off? sure, but not doing those doesn't tank you either - my aeon monk and azata fighter got along just fine mostly using whatever mythic features enhanced their martial aspects (monk flurry of blows with aeon bane is actually pretty nuts because it's per hit, azata free teamwork feats and in-combat permahaste benefited fighter a lot) with the added on spells being used for utility/buffing. summons are usable as fodder regardless of your build so you don't lose out too bad there either.

• Options
    Witches are a really cool class that gets some light healing abilities and hexes are a great class feature, while also having a really decent spell list.

Alchemists are extremely powerful in this particular game because bombs use the splash weapon mechanics, which means you're always targeting touch AC, and you can rig yourself up to not give a shit about fire resistance/immunity. So certain bad lads that the rest of us have been complaining about, just kinda melt under the onslaught of a well-built alchemist. Quite a few guides consider it the best class in WotR.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    It's also worth keeping in mind that the first 10 levels or so of the game will be played before you even pick your mythic class, so you aren't going to have any real synergy at all in the first third of the game.

Cleric/Angel or Oracle/Angel is probably the strongest combo in terms of pure synergy, and Angel is very good as a first Mythic Path in terms of story. I've played most of the way through Aeon as well, and it's cool, but without getting into spoilers, the plot gets a little more convoluted and I think it's helpful to see a more straightforward version of events. I've heard Azata is similar, whereas Lich, although very powerful, diverts from the main story and you can't really be the True Neutral "guy who just wants to stop the Worldwound at all costs" character that a lot of people went into Lich trying to do. I'd go Angel and a divine caster, or Azata and an Arcane caster, or a martial character with Angel or Legend.

This discussion has been closed.