Options

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Azata gets kind of amusing in a "well lawful good isn't working, so how about we do it with the power of Freedom and Friendship this time around?" kind of way. It's all about doing things with a different kind of good than Lawful Stupid. I quite enjoyed it so far, but I kind of put it on the back burner until they give us the ability to toggle Aivu's fear aura - because after a certain point in the game Aivu learns a fear aura that's permanently on, and you end up having to start chasing enemies around the map much of the time because they run in fear all over the place and there's no maximum radius to where they might run. It gets incredibly frustrating really quickly.

Witches are neat on paper but in practice you kind of just get relegated to the role of Hex satellite and don't get a lot of opportunity to break out of that.

Also, nice chonky 2.4GB patch coming down today.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1184370/view/3104663180648771076

Nothing particularly groundbreaking, which makes me hope that the next patches are finally going to start fixing class bugs.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Ok. Thinking Grenadier Alchemist. But I also feel like i should be one of the new classes/archetypes.

Arcanist seems like an ideal combo but I just finished a Sorcerer. And really their 4 casts per day is going to feel low after my sorcerer's 8. Though I guess part of that is from high Charisma. The arcane pool seems most useful for bumping your existing spells rather than casting new ones.

Seems like there's a lot of Barbarian mix-ins. Bloodrager is sorcerer-barb, Skald is bardbarian. There's a new barbarian archetype that's sort of a monk barbarian.

Hunter also seems cool, the parts I like about ranger (animal companion, spells) without the cruft (favored enemies, terrains). Though I guess favored enemies is easy this time.

I don't think I saw a good bard NPC, which is unfortunate. They are apparently really good in pathfinder. Dirge Bard seemed good, drop some minor stuff for cool fear and undead/death abilities. Beast Tamer maybe too, I rarely use anything but inspire courage. I wish there was some kind of Intelligence bard so I could go nuts with skills.

Your observation on Arcanist is pretty spot on. Though there are some useful exploits that can replace spells you'd normally slot (such as the one that casts Mage Armor and then Shield of Faith on yourself) most of the best ones just make your normal spells better. Even then though, the arguably best exploits for a spellcaster-focused Arcanist didn't make the jump from PnP to Wrath (specifically, trading your exploit for a metamagic feat, spend a point (and the adjusted spell slot) to basically become a 5E D&D sorc with said metamagic feats, and spend a point and full-round action to swap out a spell that you had memorized.) so while it will get you through the game, it won't have quite the same ommph that a sorc or Wizard does.
    Oh, Witch. It seems like one of the favorite companions is one so I probably wouldn't go for it. But what's their deal? It seems like a Wizard, as it's a full caster-intelligence-prepared. But they lose a chunk (not sure how big) of the wizard spell list. In return they get hexes, which I believe are spammable? And a patron which sounds similar to a cleric domain (extra spells to your list, a minor ability or two).

Witches have hexes which are typically capped at per target (rather than per day) and can include some pretty fantastic debuffs and other effects which can be extended using Cackle (which is a move action, meaning you can still cast spells/more hexes in the meantime), while their spell list could best be described as "Bard, but 9 levels worth and more damage spells" picking up healing, buff, and CC spells that wizards normally don't get access to even before you figure in the extra spells they get from their patron.

And since Ember's archetype is pretty different from the norm (spontaneous caster whose curse has her focusing on fire spells), you could still probably come up with a build that differs from her enough that you don't feel like you're overlapping from bringing her on as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Yeah when I played the PnP WotR we had an Arcanist in the party who had that metamagic shit, and he took Archmage for his Mythic Path and it got nuts.

He was regularly casting what he referred to as a "Magic Missile Storm" as well as maximized fireballs.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Azata bardsongs benefit from Bard/performance features and feats.
    This isn't true. Azata songs do work like bard songs in that you get a number of rounds/day you can sing them, but that's separate from your bard song counter. This seems like a bummer, but its actually really cool because you can sing both an Azata song and a bard song at the same time.

Less cool is that bard stuff like Lingering Performance and Move/Swift action singing doesn't affect Azata songs.

• Options
    I don't think I saw a good bard NPC, which is unfortunate. They are apparently really good in pathfinder. Dirge Bard seemed good, drop some minor stuff for cool fear and undead/death abilities. Beast Tamer maybe too, I rarely use anything but inspire courage. I wish there was some kind of Intelligence bard so I could go nuts with skills.
    You probably could do a skills bard if you wanted to. CHR 16 will get you the entire Bard spellbook, so you could pump INT without really jeopardizing your Bard features as long as you're willing to take Lingering Performance and micro your bard songs. Also, one of the early companions makes a pretty great bard, if you're willing to multi-class in a way that's a bit incongruous with the story.

I've been playing melee Azata bard and it's good fun, especially if you like playing martials. My MC is super-tanky, hits pretty hard, brings a bunch of buffs you can't get anywhere else, and smites evil through the power of friendship and song.

And the Azata story is also pure wholesome ridiculousness. It's like a D&D campaign written by 11 year-old kids who have eaten too many Sour Patch Kids.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My bard was an Archer bard, with all the buffs he did decent damage though he had trouble hitting bosses. But almost any fight has minions, and clearing them out fast pays off.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    The game would really benefit from another companion or two, not to mention (Aeon spoilers):
    Making it so that when you go back in time and redeem Staunton that you can add him to your party. That would be cool.

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    My bard was an Archer bard, with all the buffs he did decent damage though he had trouble hitting bosses. But almost any fight has minions, and clearing them out fast pays off.

Can you not set Kinnean to be a bow? He's a huge boost to hit anything that's not undead or a golem.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Even without Finnean there's some pretty decent long- and shortbows in WotR.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    The game would really benefit from another companion or two, not to mention (Aeon spoilers):
    Making it so that when you go back in time and redeem Staunton that you can add him to your party. That would be cool.
    I ended up killing two of the ones you do get in my LG Paladin/Angel run. Is there a list of which companions can be killed?

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I ended up killing two of the ones you do get in my LG Paladin/Angel run. Is there a list of which companions can be killed?
    I think all of them eventually, except maybe Seelah.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Owlcat probably feels that they don't have to be precious with their own characters since they have the merc system if people start emptying their party out.

• Options
    Hellbore wrote: »
    Even without Finnean there's some pretty decent long- and shortbows in WotR.

Yeah, but Finnean's Brilliant Energy effect is worth like... +8 or more to hit on high AC targets.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Just finished my first playthrough here. Lets check that playtime...

ackpnhvytih1.png

Yeah that's roughly about the combined playtime of the last 4 CRPGs I played, holy shit they did not fuck around here

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    Just finished my first playthrough here. Lets check that playtime...

ackpnhvytih1.png

Yeah that's roughly about the combined playtime of the last 4 CRPGs I played, holy shit they did not fuck around here

I'm approaching that time and I'm still not even close to done yet. I recognise that this is mostly my fault, and not just the game's. I just can't decide on what Race/Class/Mythic I want to play so I keep starting over.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think I should make a save at right before the conclusion of the Gray Garrison. I don't think any story/mythic decisions are permanent up to that point, as long as you've done what you need to do to unlock stuff right. I guess I'll spoiler this
    Seems like you need to do specific things around the city to unlock Aeon and Azata. It seems like Angel and Demon are always available. At least Angel is. It doesn't seem like any of the further paths have any additional requirements before then.

Oh I guess you're locked in to Lann or Wenduag huh. And that's super early. Damn.

• Options
    I'm just past that into the bit where you can start commanding armies. I took Ascendant Element-Fire on my alchemist. I was tempted by Abundant Casting but really bombs are going to be my thing as a grenadier. I gave abundant casting to almost all the companion casters though. I gave Seelah the one where she does a little AoE damage on a miss, since with Defensive Fighting she misses constantly. Lann got the Aoe ranged cleave thing since that seems stupid-good for him.

Is a real Shifter Druid (or other class) viable? It seems like there's some mythic support, but the actual forms seem like they're behind the curve in terms of the buffs they give and the levels you get them at.

I wish the beginning wasn't so restrictive in terms of viable classes. With demons being immune to electricity and very resistant (for low levels) to fire/ice/acid, elemental damage is hugely constrained. My bombs were pretty worthless, a non-physical blast kineticist would be completely nerfed, arcane casters can't do much damage. And archers/natural weapons don't seem to have a good way to penetrate the cold iron resistance early on. Seelah is an ok tank but needs Defensive Fighting on all the time so her hit chance is garbage. Woljif did basically all my damage. If he went down I usually reloaded. A mercenary fighter or barbarian to sit up front with a cold iron weapon and do damage is probably a better idea than bringing yet another caster plinking with a crossbow if I do it again.

• Options
    I'd say Druid is very viable. Mine was built for shifting, as I was planning on going Golden Dragon, and that worked out really well.

• Options
    I wish the beginning wasn't so restrictive in terms of viable classes. With demons being immune to electricity and very resistant (for low levels) to fire/ice/acid, elemental damage is hugely constrained

Yeah, it’d be cool if Ascendant Element were available earlier, but Fire spells get the job done until it is. I haven’t played a Kineticist yet, but elemental nukers are very viable and big damage Chain Lightning builds are definitely a thing. There’s also four items that let you bolt on elemental damage to any spontaneous caster, so it’s pretty easy to make Ember, Daeran, or a spontaneous casting MC put out solid elemental damage in addition to the other things they do.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I think I should make a save at right before the conclusion of the Gray Garrison. I don't think any story/mythic decisions are permanent up to that point, as long as you've done what you need to do to unlock stuff right. I guess I'll spoiler this
    Seems like you need to do specific things around the city to unlock Aeon and Azata. It seems like Angel and Demon are always available. At least Angel is. It doesn't seem like any of the further paths have any additional requirements before then.

Oh I guess you're locked in to Lann or Wenduag huh. And that's super early. Damn.
    Angel and Demon are the defaults, yes. Demon will show up even if you never pick a single Demon option before making the choice at the end of Chapter 2.

Aeon requires you to "keep" the Aeon's vision when you pick up the shard in the square you need before you go back to Grey Garrison, and then pick the Aeon choice when you actually get back to the Wardstone (any other choice, even one that the Aeon is satisfied with, will lock you out.)

Azata requires you to agree not to kill the Desna Priest when you find him (he's invisible outside of the temple, almost right at the cliff) and then do the sidequest that pops up afterwards and join with the others in singing at the end.

Trickster means picking the Trickster option at the library.

Finally, Lich requires you to (spoilers for your point)
    Find Zacharias' Wand in the caves at Leper's Smile, then at the Lost Chapel, enter the catacombs and find Zacharias.
    I'm just past that into the bit where you can start commanding armies. I took Ascendant Element-Fire on my alchemist. I was tempted by Abundant Casting but really bombs are going to be my thing as a grenadier. I gave abundant casting to almost all the companion casters though. I gave Seelah the one where she does a little AoE damage on a miss, since with Defensive Fighting she misses constantly. Lann got the Aoe ranged cleave thing since that seems stupid-good for him.

Is a real Shifter Druid (or other class) viable? It seems like there's some mythic support, but the actual forms seem like they're behind the curve in terms of the buffs they give and the levels you get them at.

I wish the beginning wasn't so restrictive in terms of viable classes. With demons being immune to electricity and very resistant (for low levels) to fire/ice/acid, elemental damage is hugely constrained. My bombs were pretty worthless, a non-physical blast kineticist would be completely nerfed, arcane casters can't do much damage. And archers/natural weapons don't seem to have a good way to penetrate the cold iron resistance early on. Seelah is an ok tank but needs Defensive Fighting on all the time so her hit chance is garbage. Woljif did basically all my damage. If he went down I usually reloaded. A mercenary fighter or barbarian to sit up front with a cold iron weapon and do damage is probably a better idea than bringing yet another caster plinking with a crossbow if I do it again.

You can buy quivers of Cold Iron arrows from a couple of shops (including the very first one you find in the mongrel village) They have a finite number of uses though, so you need to make sure your archers are only using them when they need to. Also any weapon that's +3 or higher is considered to be Cold Iron for damage reduction and
    If you kill the drow that you can find wounded in the town square, you can get a +3 composite Longbow long before that sort of thing is normally available

Also, AFAIK on the base difficulty and lower, the amount of actual damage reduction for enemy resistance is capped at 1/2 of the incoming damage, so turning it down to that level if you've made a terrible build for the first chapter might be an option, as even if what you are using for damage isn't the "best" thing for the situation, you can at least be sure that it will do something.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hit Mythic Level 2 on my Alchemist and was kind of underwhelmed by the feat options for him. I ended up taking Mythic Point Blank shot because I'm in that range basically all the time. It might be better to just start taking more mythic abilities with my remaining feats. I could use Abundant and Persistent spells, for instance. The only other one I can see is mythic potion making. But I can't find anyone to sell the higher-level scroll and potion kits anymore.

• Options
    When I first picked up Regill, he was crappy. But then I took Mythic Weapon Finesse and I guess he hit a BAB threshold? He's now attacking 4x for decent damage. I don't know why he gets so many attacks, it must be the Gnome Hooked Hammer being a double weapon but I don't know how they work.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I believe double weapons function like two separate weapons when they hit and they also benefit from dual wielding perks but don't quote me on that.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Double weapons are basically the same thing as dual wielding with a light weapon in your off-hand, except you get (usually) a better damage die and can double-dip your weapon-specific feats.

You can also wield them as two-handed weapons instead of dual-wielding them, though that’s a more niche application (and isn’t in WotR, IIRC).

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    When I first picked up Regill, he was crappy. But then I took Mythic Weapon Finesse and I guess he hit a BAB threshold? He's now attacking 4x for decent damage. I don't know why he gets so many attacks, it must be the Gnome Hooked Hammer being a double weapon but I don't know how they work.

One of the annoying little foibles with the Pathfinder ruleset is that weapons that use dex to hit still rely on str to calculate damage, unless you are a rogue or certain other job dips that have a finesse trait that lets you use dex for damage as well. Mythic Weapon Finesse basically just lets you do that without having to drop levels into a class that you may not want to drop levels into.

Double-ended weapons are considered dual-wielding(even though it's a singular item), and Gnome Hooked Hammers are dex weapons. So Mythic Weapon Finesse is basically required for Regill, and anything that boosts dual wielding will also boost him. (conversely 2H weapon feats will not benefit him)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    There are also a handful of feats - Fencing Grace and Slashing Grace, I think are the names - that let you sub Dex for damage for basically anyone.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Angel and Demon are the defaults, yes. Demon will show up even if you never pick a single Demon option before making the choice at the end of Chapter 2.

Aeon requires you to "keep" the Aeon's vision when you pick up the shard in the square you need before you go back to Grey Garrison, and then pick the Aeon choice when you actually get back to the Wardstone (any other choice, even one that the Aeon is satisfied with, will lock you out.)

Azata requires you to agree not to kill the Desna Priest when you find him (he's invisible outside of the temple, almost right at the cliff) and then do the sidequest that pops up afterwards and join with the others in singing at the end.

Trickster means picking the Trickster option at the library.

Finally, Lich requires you to (spoilers for your point)
    Find Zacharias' Wand in the caves at Leper's Smile, then at the Lost Chapel, enter the catacombs and find Zacharias.

You can buy quivers of Cold Iron arrows from a couple of shops (including the very first one you find in the mongrel village) They have a finite number of uses though, so you need to make sure your archers are only using them when they need to. Also any weapon that's +3 or higher is considered to be Cold Iron for damage reduction and
    If you kill the drow that you can find wounded in the town square, you can get a +3 composite Longbow long before that sort of thing is normally available

Also, AFAIK on the base difficulty and lower, the amount of actual damage reduction for enemy resistance is capped at 1/2 of the incoming damage, so turning it down to that level if you've made a terrible build for the first chapter might be an option, as even if what you are using for damage isn't the "best" thing for the situation, you can at least be sure that it will do something.

There's another Azata path:
    You can miss the sidequest, come up on Staunton and crew about to execute the priest, and then immediately attack him as your first dialogue option. The priest lives and the quest continues.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    There are also a handful of feats - Fencing Grace and Slashing Grace, I think are the names - that let you sub Dex for damage for basically anyone.

Those have a lot of restrictions to them however such as only working with light and one-handed slashing weapons, and only when your other hand is free.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Those have a lot of restrictions to them however such as only working with light and one-handed slashing weapons, and only when your other hand is free.

Still might be ideal for some builds though. My Magus took one of those rather than Mythic Finesse since I already have one hand free for spell combat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Fighters can also get a feat that gives them dex for damage for a group of weapons. But mythic finesse is for sure the most accessible.

• Options
    I respecced my Grenadier now that I've got a few more levels to play with. Dropped Ascendant Element Fire now that I can throw Holy bombs. Picked up Enduring/Greater Enduring Spells. I have Infusion so now I can give out 24 hour Expeditious Retreats and Shields and all to everyone. Since I dropped Ascendant Element, I also dropped Explosive bombs for Dispelling bombs, now that buffed up enemies are becoming a big problem. The Drezen end boss resisted the last Dispel Magic I had left, would have liked to strip more buffs off of him.

• Options
    Enduring Spells is really just a "feat" tax for Greater Enduring Spells. Spells that last an hour already, or 10 min/level, are not the problem. It's the 1 min/level buffs that really do the trick.

• Options
    I tried to get out of Drezen last night but there's so much shit that unlocks that I only went to one spot. I had to do some Aeon stuff, which was very cool. Then a bunch of crusade management now that the building and council stuff is open. I started a second army with a Ranger general, and he's just so much worse than my mage one. Going to stick with it, but I could use some better troops for hire. I have a bunch of random guys from events or something? 2 Paladins, some Rogues and Bandits, Sharpshooters, some other odds and ends. But nothing in stack sizes that can actually do much, and I can't hire more. Luckily I can hire Hellknights, who kick the shit out of everybody.

Is Greybor actually on any kind of timer or is that just fluff text? I'm working towards the area he wants to go to but not very quickly.

• Options
    I tried to get out of Drezen last night but there's so much shit that unlocks that I only went to one spot. I had to do some Aeon stuff, which was very cool. Then a bunch of crusade management now that the building and council stuff is open. I started a second army with a Ranger general, and he's just so much worse than my mage one. Going to stick with it, but I could use some better troops for hire. I have a bunch of random guys from events or something? 2 Paladins, some Rogues and Bandits, Sharpshooters, some other odds and ends. But nothing in stack sizes that can actually do much, and I can't hire more. Luckily I can hire Hellknights, who kick the shit out of everybody.

Is Greybor actually on any kind of timer or is that just fluff text? I'm working towards the area he wants to go to but not very quickly.

It's not particularly clear in telling you but basically it's a warning to do it before the end of the act.

If anything I'd hold off on even talking to him until later in the act because that dragon is a real shithead if it starts harassing you early on in the act, but it doesn't actually start spawning until you initiate his quest.

• Options

From what I recall I did a whole slew of stuff before I got to doing his quest and it was fine. That doesn't mean a timer doesn't exist, but if there is one it's generous.

• Options
    Lann got crazy good while I was trying out a few other characters for DPS. I think level 11 gets another bow attack with Flurry of Blows. Plus Monks are a full BAB class so he's got 3 attacks normally, and a Speed bow so that's 6 total. I just got him Improved Critical/Mythic Improved Critical so now longbows are 19-20 (x4). Nasty. Not even sure what else could make him better.

Finally installed a buffbot mod and have seen the light. Bubbles buffbot is stupid-simple, fast to setup, and instant-cast (out of combat). Now I see where people think this game is easy on Normal, because quick and consistent application of buffs means I use them more. And because I use them all at once, I eat up a lot of spell slots, which makes me want to rest more, which definitely makes the game easier. I'm always so resistant to resting ingame because it seems so stupid to take 2-3 naps inside a scary dungeon. But there's no actual penalty or even much risk.

Other character coming online very well is Nenio, who I'm making an Illusion specialist. Specifically Phantasmal Killer, which works on most Demons. Great to have a level 4 spell that's such a potent save-or-die. Plus she does the other Wizard shit: pits, Haste, ranged touch spells, etc. I need to sit down and reorganize her memorized spells for maximum efficiency instead of going wide for utility.

• Options
    Now I'm thinking about trying that Illusion-focused Arcanist archetype. They spend Arcane pool points to add various metamagics to Illusion spells. Persistent on Phantasmal Killer or Shadow Evocation?

And thinking of rests, maybe it's time to think about Extend for my buffers. that or going respeccing a few for Greater Enduring.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I've finally managed to play a game all the way to Act IV. As a Demon. And I have to imagine Act IV plays a bit differently if you're not a Demon.
    'Cuz there are a lot of people going 'Oh, hey, it's you, go right on ahead'. I imagine those big gates between sections of the city are going to be an obstacle to non-Demons.

Also, Seelah and the Hand of the Inheritor were very unimpressed by the fact that I'm known in the Abyss as Nocticula's New Favourite.

• Options
    I managed to play through Blackwater as someone who doesn't have a lot of ranged touch attacks. That was rough.

• Options
    KS update - so many collector's editions had physical defects that they had to delay the release of the CEs. As any apology, anyone who pledged for a Collector's Edition will get the season pass for free.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/3387339
    We want to update you on the situation with the physical rewards. We had a busy November, and managed to ship a number of Collector’s Editions. However we kept encountering various issues with one of our manufacturers. The production of the items they were making for us took much longer than was anticipated, and the last batch of items we got from them had too many defective ones. It was a trusted partner of ours, and we tried to solve these issues with them in recent months but failed, unfortunately. After some consideration, we decided that we don’t want to risk you getting defective items, and we will have to change the manufacturer.

Sadly, it means the shipping of your rewards will be delayed again. We can’t express how sorry we are about it. To all the affected backers, who haven’t got their Boxed Editions with the Arueshalae figurine, Collector’s Editions, Collector’s Editions with add-ons, Premium Collector's Edition, and Ultimate Editions signed until the end of this year, we will offer a Season Pass as an apology. The key will be available in your Digital Download tab.

We are fully committed to delivering you the rewards you paid for, not sacrificing the quality, and we plan to ship them during the first quarter of 2022. We are deeply sorry for this situation, and hoping for your patience and understanding.

This discussion has been closed.