As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The current hidden stretch goal is speculated to be Dinosaurs + Hunter Class.

It better unlock I want those Dinosaurs.

Edit - and confirmed. Final stretch goal of the campaign, Dinosaurs will be available as animal companions and mounts.

Is a Deinonychus a potential mount option in Pathfinder? Just asking...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Edit - and confirmed. Final stretch goal of the campaign, Dinosaurs will be available as animal companions and mounts.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/dinosaur/deinonychus/
    You can apply the young simple template to create statistics for smaller, more agile velociraptors. Conversely, you can either increase the deinonychus to Large size and its Hit Dice to 8 or simply apply the giant and advanced simple templates to create a formidable megaraptor.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipmenT/goods-and-services/animals-animal-gear/#Riding_Animals
    Dinosaurs and Megafauna
    The following animals are classified as either dinosaurs or megafauna, and garner a significantly higher price than most animals on the open market. The prices listed are for dinosaurs and megafauna that have been reared from birth in order to serve as pets or mounts. Combat-trained dinosaurs and megafauna are incredibly rare and have similarly extravagant costs (if one can even find a seller). Though not normally readily available, combat-trained dinosaurs and megafauna typically cost an amount equal to 1-1/2 × the price of the standard animal.

Deinonychus 600 gp

Yep.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Well the Smilodon will finally have competition.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/dinosaur/deinonychus/
    You can apply the young simple template to create statistics for smaller, more agile velociraptors. Conversely, you can either increase the deinonychus to Large size and its Hit Dice to 8 or simply apply the giant and advanced simple templates to create a formidable megaraptor.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipmenT/goods-and-services/animals-animal-gear/#Riding_Animals
    Dinosaurs and Megafauna
    The following animals are classified as either dinosaurs or megafauna, and garner a significantly higher price than most animals on the open market. The prices listed are for dinosaurs and megafauna that have been reared from birth in order to serve as pets or mounts. Combat-trained dinosaurs and megafauna are incredibly rare and have similarly extravagant costs (if one can even find a seller). Though not normally readily available, combat-trained dinosaurs and megafauna typically cost an amount equal to 1-1/2 × the price of the standard animal.

Deinonychus 600 gp

Yep.

Daaaw, looking through it you can even have a compy familiar!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Apparently in PnP Pathfinder you can even have an animal companion T Rex, that starts medium size and grows to Large size?

Cause I want ride a Rex into battle with some demons.

The devs said even if this doesn’t get reached, they will leave a paypal slacker option open and that would count to the stretch goal.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Apparently in PnP Pathfinder you can even have an animal companion T Rex, that starts medium size and grows to Large size?

The devs said even if this doesn’t get reached, they will leave a paypal slacker option open and that would count to the stretch goal.

Yeah, they did that with Kingmaker as well, which eventually managed to cobble together another ~$100k to unlock one last stretch goal.

Considering that less than half of that is needed for Wrath, I think we'll be getting our dinos.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

If only there was a Lizardmen race, I'd make Krok'gar.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

On that note, which "animal person" race ended up winning the poll?

• Options
    edited March 2020

On that note, which "animal person" race ended up winning the poll?

Offical poll Hasn't done it yet, but most of the straw polls I've seen have it a race between Skaven fans (Ratfolk) and anime fans (Kitsune).

The racial archetype stretch goal might have been a boon for ratfolk though, since theirs would almost certainly be the Plague Bringer Alchemist archetype, for the Clan Pestilens fans.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Finally got to the kingdom building part of the game last night before I went to bed. Seems pretty complicated. Also hope to find an economic advisor soon since thats the only one I don't have to start.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Finally got to the kingdom building part of the game last night before I went to bed. Seems pretty complicated. Also hope to find an economic advisor soon since thats the only one I don't have to start.
    There are some good kingdom building guides out there, but there are so many moving parts it doesn't make a lot of sense at first. :lol: But! There are a lot of tricks to the system. Let us know if you have questions! I'm excited to talk about it.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    For an economic advisor (and party member) visit the ford to the southwest of your capital.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    So I was browsing the forum and saw the thread title and my eyebrows went up.

I've not played Kingmaker (yet), but I have played quite a bit of Pathfinder in the past, including the Wrath of the Righteous mythic campaign. So I gotta ask: How close to the PnP ruleset does the video game stick? Are they reworking the mythic rules for the video game? Because....having played mythic Pathfinder a few times, it gets really crazy really fast. But Wrath was pretty fun from the Crusade management aspect.

Spoilering because it's talk about my time playing Wrath and I know people don't always enjoy reading about someone else's RPG experience:
    So when I played, I was playing a Cleric of Erastil, but I grabbed domains that gave me an animal companion (Roc), feats that brought them up to druid levels, and then just pushed my feats toward archery and mounted archery. My friends were confused by this path until they all realized: Oh yeah, Mythic kinda makes the other stuff irrelevant. Being able to swift cast anything I wanted out of the goddamn book was just.....it's the stupidest thing ever. Being able to start granting a domain to my followers was cool, though, and really tied in nicely to the Crusade stuff. So here's hoping that maybe sticks around!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

I've not played Kingmaker (yet), but I have played quite a bit of Pathfinder in the past, including the Wrath of the Righteous mythic campaign. So I gotta ask: How close to the PnP ruleset does the video game stick? Are they reworking the mythic rules for the video game? Because....having played mythic Pathfinder a few times, it gets really crazy really fast. But Wrath was pretty fun from the Crusade management aspect.

Spoilering because it's talk about my time playing Wrath and I know people don't always enjoy reading about someone else's RPG experience:
    So when I played, I was playing a Cleric of Erastil, but I grabbed domains that gave me an animal companion (Roc), feats that brought them up to druid levels, and then just pushed my feats toward archery and mounted archery. My friends were confused by this path until they all realized: Oh yeah, Mythic kinda makes the other stuff irrelevant. Being able to swift cast anything I wanted out of the goddamn book was just.....it's the stupidest thing ever. Being able to start granting a domain to my followers was cool, though, and really tied in nicely to the Crusade stuff. So here's hoping that maybe sticks around!

They are talking about the mythic paths being their own campaign, Might and Magic-style tactical battles, and spells and rituals that impact the entire map. Looks like they are swinging for the fences on this one.

• Options
    I've not played Kingmaker (yet), but I have played quite a bit of Pathfinder in the past, including the Wrath of the Righteous mythic campaign. So I gotta ask: How close to the PnP ruleset does the video game stick?

Kingmaker hews pretty close to the PnP rules, and does so even more if you use the Turn-Based Combat mod (which I recommend to everyone, ever).

There are other mods out there that add in other pieces, as well - like flanking fixes, extra classes, extra feats, etc.

One "major" wrinkle vs. PnP is that they've reduced the skills available, and so reduced the number of skill points classes get at each level.

• Options
    I've not played Kingmaker (yet), but I have played quite a bit of Pathfinder in the past, including the Wrath of the Righteous mythic campaign. So I gotta ask: How close to the PnP ruleset does the video game stick?
    Kingmaker is probably about as close to the PnP ruleset as the Baldur's Gate series is AD&D 2e. It's primarily a combat game with skill checks peppered throughout.

Also I gotta assume it's tuned WAY THE FUCK towards combat, because expecting characters to have 30+ AC at, like, level 8 seems bonkers.

I'm trying to play through Varnhold's Lot right now and good lord these characters do not feel built to play this game. Or maybe I'm just spoiled. :lol:

• Options

Pretty close, from what I understand.

Probably the most significant (and hilarious) difference is flanking rules. Basically, everyone is treated as having the Pack Flank feat (minus the animal companion restriction) and being "flanked" is enough to trigger ranged sneak attacks. Plus there is no cover penalties for shooting over your allies' heads, just the -4 fire-into-combat that is removed via precise shot.

This is due to how difficult it is to get proper flanking positions with the RTwP mechanics, and also why I have no problems with companion wizard Octavia starting out with a Rogue level and always spec her into Arcane Trickster.

If you do use the turn based mod though, there is another mod that restores flanking to the PnP rules and a few more changes besides.

As for the Mythic Paths, they seem to more or less be doing their own thing with them to tie them closer to the story. Biggest change is that Trickster is the only original path from tabletop, and with one exception, the rest involve transforming yourself into crazy powerful beings. Namely, Lich, Angel, Demon, Aeon, Azata, Gold Dragon, or Worm-that-Walks. Also mentioned that there will be story steps you have to take before you actually start going down any of the paths.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    There are some good kingdom building guides out there, but there are so many moving parts it doesn't make a lot of sense at first. :lol: But! There are a lot of tricks to the system. Let us know if you have questions! I'm excited to talk about it.

I heard that you can lose the game via doing bad at the kingdom part, so mostly just want to make sure that doesnt happen.

Like i got to the part where i first opened the map and noped out cause i am worried i will mess something up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

I heard that you can lose the game via doing bad at the kingdom part, so mostly just want to make sure that doesnt happen.

Like i got to the part where i first opened the map and noped out cause i am worried i will mess something up.

There’s two things that can kill your kingdom and lose your game - Unrest and leaving main quest timers to run out.

If you’re particularly concerned there’s an option in the difficulty settings called ‘Invincible Kingdom’ which means only letting main quest timers run out will kill your kingdom.

It’s outside of the main difficulty options so it doesn’t drop you to Custom difficulty.

• Options

There’s two things that can kill your kingdom and lose your game - Unrest and leaving main quest timers to run out.

If you’re particularly concerned there’s an option in the difficulty settings called ‘Invincible Kingdom’ which means only letting main quest timers run out will kill your kingdom.

It’s outside of the main difficulty options so it doesn’t drop you to Custom difficulty.

And they fixed a lot of the feedback loops that the initial release had with the enhanced edition, so Stability should only be an issue if you completely ignore unlocking and ranking up advisor positions, which would eventually lead to them no longer able to reliably deal with Problems that can potentially drop stability if ignored or failed.

Also, AFAIK the time between chapters doesn't change regardless of how long it took to complete the last one, so going out to do all the adventuring you need to as soon as shit gets weird and then doing the kingdom managment stuff later is usually a good idea in most cases.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I was super intimidated at first, too. The distilled version of what I've learned so far:
    • Assign advisers with the best stats, then (generally) do what they suggest (or they'll get mad and quit).
    • Pay attention to Events. These come in two flavors, Opportunities and Problems. You can ignore Opportunities if you have to (try not to), but don't ignore Problems if you can avoid it.
    • Don't run a BP deficit ever.
    • Don't ignore Bald Hill.
    • Claim every Region you can. You can buy BPs
    • Build one Bulletin Board in every town (if your Kingdom is Lawful).

From there things get a little complicated and "when X do Y" (ie, what to build in Towns). I can go into it more if you like, but it won't make a ton of sense until you can start claiming new Regions and building new Towns.

• Options
    Don't run a BP deficit ever.

This is more lenient now. If you go into BP deficit, you get a day to bring it back before it affects stability.

• Options
    Should I wait on getting a new region til iI fill out my first town?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Should I wait on getting a new region til iI fill out my first town?
    It's complicated, but the short answer is: prioritize getting new regions over filling out towns. I'm not sure where your spoiler threshold is, so it's sort of hard to get into details on why.

Light kingdom building spoilers:
    New regions unlock Artisans (one or more per Region), which - once you secure their services (via Events and quests) - make stuff for you. Like, really awesome gear. Worst case, it's free money (which you can use to buy BP, which you can use to improve your Kingdom).

Longer term (also light kingdom building spoilers)
    You're going to need 6 buildings in three Villages in order to upgrade a Village to a Town.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    holy shit the hellknights quest is horribly designed from top to bottom

• Options
    Oh I am not worried about kingdom spoilers too much. Its been an interesting time playing since I never made it past the first chapter?, til I tried the turn based mod. Didn't think it'd make a huge difference in my enjoyment but it really does make it alot more fun to play, even if I am pretty sure the build I am doing is suboptimal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Yup, at the end of it my NG Sorcerer was basically saying, "Welp, screw you, and screw you, and screw everyone nearby this. I'm putting bodies in the ground and I'll let the afterlife sort it out."

• Options
    edited March 2020
    One of the things I really like about Kingmaker is that it's totally feasible (and makes total sense) to have an, e.g., Chaotic Good character who picks Lawful Good or Neutral Evil or whatever dialog options without being meaningfully dinged. You have to basically stop picking CN, NG, or CG options entirely for a long time to see a shift in your character.

So, don't feel like the game will punish you if, from time to time, you character hits their "Fuck this" limit and kills some bastards what got it coming to 'em.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Yup, at the end of it my NG Sorcerer was basically saying, "Welp, screw you, and screw you, and screw everyone nearby this. I'm putting bodies in the ground and I'll let the afterlife sort it out."

IIRC either the quest, or at least the NPC that the Hellknights were hunting was designed by a backer, hence the wannabe Samien Havaren.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't know who that is. All I remember is saying to myself, "That's it, everyone dies!" and feeling no remorse afterwards.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Just finished that guy's tomb and really digging getting into later game.

It's kind of insidious how this game (really, I guess, the system) encourages you to think about builds so much that you already have your next party envisioned before you even finish with your first one.

• Options
    I am starting to think my monk/sorc/DG/DD build was poorly thought out from a mechanics standpoint. I don't really have the spells to hang back but I am also not great at being in melee either. Tis abit fustrating.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DG?

• Options
    I am starting to think my monk/sorc/DG/DD build was poorly thought out from a mechanics standpoint. I don't really have the spells to hang back but I am also not great at being in melee either. Tis abit fustrating.
    What's the full build you're aiming for? This one sounds close and seems pretty good.

• Options
    I don't know who that is. All I remember is saying to myself, "That's it, everyone dies!" and feeling no remorse afterwards.

Probably butchered and/or thinking of the wrong name, but he was a pirate and recurring character in Baldur's Gate 2 and the Throne of Bhaal xpac that had a gift and weaseling out of trouble, usually by directing said trouble towards you.

He was "love to hate" though, both because of Bioware's writing at his heyday and because the only reason why he was constantly successful is because the trouble was so gods-damn stupid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    DG?

Divine Guardian. Mostly took two levels for the cha save bonus.
    What's the full build you're aiming for? This one sounds close and seems pretty good.

I so far am 1 scaled fist/ 2 DG/ 2 sorc/ 1 DD. Mostly saw I could turn into a dragon and wanted to try and tear stuff up on the frontline in dragon form.

Also kinda floundering on trying to balance kingdom stuff and actual adventuring. Got the treasurer guy but could probally stand a few more melee people since most of my party is kinda squishy.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I so far am 1 scaled fist/ 2 DG/ 2 sorc/ 1 DD. Mostly saw I could turn into a dragon and wanted to try and tear stuff up on the frontline in dragon form.
    I think grabbing DG might have been a misstep, DH is a bit better if you want to Pally dip. But your Sorc is going to suffer regardless. Do you have respec enabled? If not, you might consider pivoting to Eldritch Knight or Eldritch Scion if you want to melee.
    Also kinda floundering on trying to balance kingdom stuff and actual adventuring. Got the treasurer guy but could probally stand a few more melee people since most of my party is kinda squishy.
    Who's in your party right now? Val/Amiri/You in the front, Linzi/Tristan/Jubilost in the rear?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    pathfinder typically rewards staying in a single class, much more than 3.x did

• Options
    I think grabbing DG might have been a misstep, DH is a bit better if you want to Pally dip. But your Sorc is going to suffer regardless. Do you have respec enabled? If not, you might consider pivoting to Eldritch Knight or Eldritch Scion if you want to melee.
    Who's in your party right now? Val/Amiri/You in the front, Linzi/Tristan/Jubilost in the rear?

I do have respec enabled, but it doesnt seem to play well wigh a mod that introduced traits. I am not super worried about casting aside from using it for buffs before going dragon. I just dont think its gonna hold up well as a melee fighter.

And my normal party is Me/Amiri/Reg as a front line and Linzi/Octavia/Ekundayo as the rear atm. I do tend to swap people out for specific quests if it seems like its rrlevant to them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I do have respec enabled, but it doesnt seem to play well wigh a mod that introduced traits. I am not super worried about casting aside from using it for buffs before going dragon. I just dont think its gonna hold up well as a melee fighter.

And my normal party is Me/Amiri/Reg as a front line and Linzi/Octavia/Ekundayo as the rear atm. I do tend to swap people out for specific quests if it seems like its rrlevant to them.
    That's a perfect use case to pivot towards Eldritch Knight I think. What do your stats look like? Edit: I think you'll qualify for EK by 9 if you go Monk (SF) 1 / Paladin (Divine Guardian) 2 / Sorcerer 4 / Dragon Disciple 2? ...wait, shit, your goal is to hit DD10 right?

How's Reg holding up in fights? Also who is your healer? I'd drop Ekundayo for Tristan or Ek and Amiri for Harrim and Jaethal (if you can't stand Tris). Also also, if they're not already in your spell book, Lesser Restoration, Delay Poison (Communal), and Resist Energy (Communal) should be.

jdarksun on
This discussion has been closed.