As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Slashing Grace can do it for certain other weapons as well.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »
    What let's some characters add their modifier to weapon damage?

You might need to be more specific. Are you talking in general, for non-Strength bonuses?

Well I wasn't sure what I was talking about, that was the problem :P

I had noticed that some characters just got dice damage while some got a modifier as well, and I struggled to see consistency

But I think it was a mix of ranged weapons and finesse weapons that was confusing me, and it makes sense now. Just wondered if there were any must-have feats or something

Anyway, managed to clear out the Boggard cave at level 4. That took quite the effort

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So, found out something today in the category of "Why is there nothing anywhere in game about this?"

You ever come across a seemingly "random" container that when opened, instead of the normal loot window you get the full-screen window normally reserved for your stockpile?

Those are actually puzzles! Almost every one of them have an item (or sometimes several!) which, once placed inside, causes something to happen. Maybe you get loot, or spawn a monster, or do something else. There is usually something you can observe and/or nearby writing that "might" give you a hint, but otherwise you're on your own.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Finally finished my first playthrough after owning this thing for what feels like years now. Last two chapters were kind of a shitshow, but I'm still very happy with the playthrough.

Now that I've seen some of the NPC stories, it's time to jack up the difficulty to normal or better, make a merc party from hell, and tear this thing open all over again. =)

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, found out something today in the category of "Why is there nothing anywhere in game about this?"

You ever come across a seemingly "random" container that when opened, instead of the normal loot window you get the full-screen window normally reserved for your stockpile?

Those are actually puzzles! Almost every one of them have an item (or sometimes several!) which, once placed inside, causes something to happen. Maybe you get loot, or spawn a monster, or do something else. There is usually something you can observe and/or nearby writing that "might" give you a hint, but otherwise you're on your own.

... Huh.

I have never noticed that.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Finally finished my first playthrough after owning this thing for what feels like years now. Last two chapters were kind of a shitshow, but I'm still very happy with the playthrough.

Now that I've seen some of the NPC stories, it's time to jack up the difficulty to normal or better, make a merc party from hell, and tear this thing open all over again. =)

shitshow how?

I'm only using one merc(a cleric because woof both the ones you get are bad) and my party is so leveled and geared and my kingdom is so developed that little poses a threat anymore

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    What specifically makes Tristan bad? By mid game he’s got so many Channel Positive Energy charges and buffs that the game has to throw broken enemies at me to hurt me.

Harrim is pretty awful, yeah.

-Loki- wrote: »
    What specifically makes Tristan bad? By mid game he’s got so many Channel Positive Energy charges and buffs that the game has to throw broken enemies at me to hurt me.

Lack of armor and offensive capabilities combined with bad ai. He could be made powerful with good gear and feats, but I’d rather just make a normal cleric of serenrae

Elvenshae wrote: »

... Huh.

I have never noticed that.

Yeah, and it's not nessisarily "every container that opens up as a stockpile is a puzzle," but there are several puzzles that involve putting the right thing in such containers.

For example, putting herbs in
    the container at the place the Stag Lord grew up at, and supposedly the one where his father is imprisoned
    will cause additional loot to spawn in there, and placing "Fish from Silverstep Lake" on the "container" in the NW corner of Silverstep village (the one already there, not the one you founded) will spawn an Ancient Wyvern.

steam_sig.png
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Harrim is a pretty good offensive caster cleric.

PiptheFair wrote: »

Lack of armor and offensive capabilities combined with bad ai. He could be made powerful with good gear and feats, but I’d rather just make a normal cleric of serenrae

He's a buffbot, though admittedly he doesn't reach his full potential without the Turn-based mod. Then having him spam Blessing of the Faithful or using Touch of Good to help someone with their must-succeed attack rather than try to use his crossbow attacking something he only has a 1 in 20 chance of hitting becomes feasible and not something only too tedious to do otherwise. Also basically having all his healing spells being Empowered isn't bad either.

Harrim's a lot tougher to find a spot for, but I've found a bit of a niche for him with melee touch spells and debuffs, particularly those with only one save chance, as well as spells that don't target reflex (since I get enough power in that regard from Octavia.) His starting strength might be mediocre for a traditional frontline cleric, but I've found it to still be good enough to land a Curse or Cause Wounds spell when it really matters.

steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Also later levels Tristian gets some pretty powerful offensive spells.

so do normal clerics

and they can wear armor and hit things!

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

so do normal clerics

and they can wear armor and hit things!

Yeah but normal Clerics can only use the one Domain slot for those spells, while Tristian can Fireball all day. I know it's not the optimal use of a Cleric but it's a fun build.

But yes, if I were building an Ecclesitheurge I'd probably buy a few Wizard levels and make a Mystic Theurge.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

shitshow how?

I'm only using one merc(a cleric because woof both the ones you get are bad) and my party is so leveled and geared and my kingdom is so developed that little poses a threat anymore

Without being spoilery, I didn't care for the House At The End chapter in terms of dungeon mechanics (and the enemies within) and the character changes that happened to my party as a result of that chapter. I felt like I was Aerith'd a bit without any clear indicators to be prepared for it or any way to recover from it. But hey, I dug the crap outta the game and will play again. =)

shitshow how?

Without being spoilery, I didn't care for the House At The End chapter in terms of dungeon mechanics (and the enemies within) and the character changes that happened to my party as a result of that chapter. I felt like I was Aerith'd a bit without any clear indicators to be prepared for it or any way to recover from it. But hey, I dug the crap outta the game and will play again. =)

gotcha

yeah, I'm about to do the house but already spoilered myself on it

not doing companion quests "right" or having them time gated with no indication of how much time you have is a shitty decision

but yeah, I dig a lot of the game, even though parts of it are very rough

edited March 2020
    one of my artisans just gave me Grandmasters Rod

it is 3/day maximized and empowered spell that bypasses any SR

what the fuck

EDIT: my mistake, not DR, it ignores magic immunity

PiptheFair on
    Unlocked a secret passage in a crypt

Suddenly the enemies were a lot harder, so I decided to back out, but my original passage was blocked!

Had to sneak past a super strong skeleton to escape

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Unlocked a secret passage in a crypt

Suddenly the enemies were a lot harder, so I decided to back out, but my original passage was blocked!

Had to sneak past a super strong skeleton to escape

yeah, that place is very dumb

the second floor is meant to be a super late game thing, and the top floor can be accessed way too early

https://owlcatgames.com/news/44

Owlcat working from home

edited March 2020
    Going through Varnhold's Lot a second time, picking up some transferable rewards I didn't find the first time as well as
    hopefully meet the conditions of the Varn Romance cheevo.

I must say, the final dungeon isn't nearly as hard when you realize Kingmaker ain't a game you can bulldoze through with overwheleming firepower, and know to spec for encounters with a shitton of fey, oozes and magical beasts. I don't even think I'm going to use all of the 60 or so rations I had been hoarding and started thr dungeon with.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Are there melee weapons for casters in this?
    Not to actually melee with, but to give stats or bonuses to casting? Like a wizard's staff

Currently I just have Octavia completely unarmed. She looks a bit silly as if she's about to challenge someone to fisticuffs

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I don't know if Kingmaker implements this (I assumed so) but in PF you always want to hold a weapon (unless you are a kineticist) Since without a weapon you are not considered a flanker. Giving Octavia a crossbow is also good, because if you meet a magic immune or spell resistance enemy it may be better to take the to hit penalty than to try the extra roll to overcome SR.

There are a few midgame items that actually help casters, but anything like that is +2 equivalent or more (Meaning it costs more than 8k gold), so they don't show up in C1.
    Usually in the tabletop game casters use rods as weapons, since those count as a mace and have to be wielded (which impacts their action economy), but in Kingmaker they are belt slot items.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    there’s staffs and daggers later with bonuses Octavia likes.

edited March 2020
    Are there melee weapons for casters in this?
    Not to actually melee with, but to give stats or bonuses to casting? Like a wizard's staff

Currently I just have Octavia completely unarmed. She looks a bit silly as if she's about to challenge someone to fisticuffs

Yeah, there are a few. Most of them don't show up until after chapter 3 or so.

If you're really desperate, focus on unlocking the Magister office, which happens when you get Divine to Rank III and qualify for rank IV. Almost immediately after the artisan that specializes in "acquiring" spellcasting gear will show up, and you can start getting rods and staves and maybe something Octavia can use and benefit from.

But yeah, like others have said you still want her to hold a staff or short sword or something in the meantime so she can qualify as a flanker should anyone get close.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Octavia should almost never be attacking, anyway, so the only thing you really care about in her loadout is whether or not the stats help you out.

There are some decent daggers that'll help her out early on (carry bonuses to AC, because if she's accidentally in combat she'll need it), but generally you'll want to have her autocast a cantrip by right-clicking on it (acid splash is good 80% of the time, disrupt undead 15%, and jolt 4%). In Kingmaker's implementation, you can get flanking going on ranged attacks, and those ranged-touch-spells count as weapons, so you get to add your Sneak Attack bonuses to them.

Man, I'm almost at the point where Octavia can drop a Sneak Attack Maximized Chain Lightning, and it's going to be awesome.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    Octavia should almost never be attacking, anyway, so the only thing you really care about in her loadout is whether or not the stats help you out.
    Like I said, I don't mean to actually attack with

Usually in games the wizard will be holding a staff or dagger or wand or orb or something while they're attacking with spells

Like in 5e you have an arcane focus that can be a staff or orb etc., and you have magic items like Staff of Fire, Staff of Power, Wand of the War Mage +1, etc.

Yeah, there are a few. Most of them don't show up until after chapter 3 or so.
    there’s staffs and daggers later with bonuses Octavia likes.
    Cool, happy to know they exist at least. :) Will keep a lookout

Note when judging staves, that in Pathfinder spells cast from staff charges/ per day uses use the wielder's caster level, rather than a set level like scrolls and wands, so something that let's you cast Fireball two more times a day might be more valuable than one that gives stats.

steam_sig.png
    Nok-Nok is a beast

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Nok-Nok is the character that's played by the min-maxer in your group, except the DM only let him play the absurd character he created if he played it absolutely straight.

They posted an update on one of the companions for Wrath

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2793719
    It's the gnome with the purple hair and dark armor from the stair fight art. He's a lawful evil Hellknight

They posted an update on one of the companions for Wrath

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2793719
    It's the gnome with the purple hair and dark armor from the stair fight art. He's a lawful evil Hellknight

AKA
    Sir Not-Appearing-in-Elvenshae's-Party

I was cursed... with youth and attractiveness?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

The Devil take this predictable colon!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

That curse is different depending on how you handled the situation in the inn earlier.

I'm past Season of Bloom in the main campaign. Liking the game so I decided to play the DLC and this seemed like a good spot to do it

Finished Varnhold and just started on Tenebrous Depths

From what I understand
    To get the full story, I need to find four artifacts before fighting each boss. Found the one on the first floor, but already on the second floor I seem to be missing one
    I'm level 10 and feeling way over-leveled for the first two floors, yet I'm still missing perception checks? My MC has +25 Perc! And my companions are at 16, 14, 14, 12 and 4
    So I either have to reload the entire floor or wait until I ding and check again. Since I've cleared most of the map, that probably won't happen until the next story mission

Bring Jaethal with an eye of the eagle + Good Hope (Or maybe greater heroism if you have it already).

She then should have lvl*1.5 + 5 + 3 + 2 + wis, around a +30 at lvl 10.

You only get 1 roll per character level. So yeah, waiting for a new level or bring new characters

Also there is a steam forum thread that has maps and the names of the item.

Wall perception checks only trigger if you are pretty close.

If you, like me, think this is pretty bullshit, there is also mods. With Bag of Tricks you can enable 'always succeed skill X' which makes you roll 20s.

Or you can just add the correct item to your inventory.

I just re-did the floor. It only took a few min since there are so few enemies and my party is high level

Might have to try those options if I run into the same problem on deeper floors where the fights are more challenging

Eldritch Arcana mod adds Detect Secret doors as an available spell, which will light up any and all hidden doors and containers.

Note however that even the version of the Depths in the main game still has some procedural generation going on, so you might see a place that's obviously a hidden door but you can't seem to detect it no matter how much you've jacked perception, but if you Bag of Tricks/Eldritch Arcana it you'll find out the room is completely devoid of anything to loot or kill because that door wasn't tagged to be normally detectable or opened in the first place.

steam_sig.png
    I'm nearing the endgame and they are throwing some stupid items my way.

Ek is putting up crazy numbers. I'm pretty sure I got an archery improving item in bracers, belt, head, neck, gloves, chest and ring.

But nothing beats the crimes high level casters can commit. Swimming in rods.

This discussion has been closed.