As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh Geth I was just kidding bud [chat]

BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left UnfinishedRegistered User regular
Geth I'm actually very busy today.

But here's [chat]?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    mediocre

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    We were surprisingly civilized in this long period of [chat]lessness.

Everybody must be commuting or something.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Qanamil wrote: »

I’m in a hospital room waiting for my brother who is in surgery

Edit: so I’ve been pretty peeved at the long wait!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Oh man sorry to hear that, is he going to be ok?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Speak for yourself!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Thread needs some Metal Jesus.
    https://youtu.be/sr4y_HHCEok

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

God I dunno. I’m not in the operating theater or anything. Hopefully? Please?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    shiv did you do any research prior to selecting canada as your next destination, and if so, is it in sharable form

I am trying to decide if canada might be an option for my next move and what that would mean in terms of my objections to my current country of residence

I mean, we looked into Canada, but it was really the only option while still staying closeish to family. The research was me looking at a million bureaucratic nightmares. If you have any specific questions, I could try and answer them?

well, canada seems like an easy(ish) move in terms of culture, language, proximity to family still living in the states, etc

but I haven't looked to see like, what are governmental positions on lgbtqia rights, abortion, religion, hate speech, corruption, healthcare, and so on -- basically, current state of law and culture, I guess?

does that make sense? like if I was going to leave the US because I was dissatisfied with our position on eg climate change, I'd want to know that the country I was moving to had a better one

(that one's easy, every other country is party to paris climate accord l o l)

@skippydumptruck ok, so, basically, Kennedy was all "I, the fifth justice who legalized gay marriage, am retiring, Trump gets to pick my replacement lololololololol," and I was like "but I literally just got gay married like three months ago, fffffff." I'd actually wanted to look into Canada for a while, but Querry was not down. Until that night, when she said "so, Canada: should we move there? I think yes. Ok. Yes. Did we just decide to move to Canada? Yes."

So, that was the entire explicit thought process at that point. But it makes sense. We are leaving America specifically and (at the time) exclusively because of worry of top-down persecution. I mean, we're not worried about being murdered*, but it was, even then, transparently clear that Kennedy's retirement meant that my brand new marriage was going to get attritioned down to as small a thing as possible. That was the whole of it, and now is still most of it (once we made the decision, other positives became clearer).

So I have not looked into other issues a ton, because there is a single point on which America is quickly going to become intolerable and Canada is not. Canada also is closer to family than, like, New Zealand. We also meet the requirements to immigrate very quickly, because we are skilled young people with education. Canada also has Pacific Northwest, which I have wanted for a long time. I miss the Pacific. We were always going to move back there. It is the one big thing I have always asked of her.

Anyhow, everything I've looked into other than queer stuff has basically been: Canada has all the problems the US has, but less bad. It has a Trumpish populist - but he's premier of Ontario, not Prime Minster of Canada (incidentally, Ontario dropped from tied with first to tied-with-everyone-who-isn't-British-Columbia because we're leaving America to flee that kind of shit). Healthcare has problems, from what I can tell - but it's better (and way more stable) than what we have here. I think it's been largely the same in most of the ways I've looked at. I don't really have a sense of the specifics of some of those - hate speech and corruption? No idea. Probably better to ask actual Canadians. They seem disappointed about recent elections, for what that's worth?

But it's better in the ways that I care about, and I am not going to have to worry about what the next court case is going to mean for my marriage, or watch the legislature like a hawk, and that means everything right now. Can you imagine not worrying about the government deciding overnight that you don't get all the marital benefits others do? I can't, but I bet it's nice.

*in the places we'd live. I am absolutely on the lookout for being murdered in rural areas.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Feral wrote:
    Not exactly, but some conventions have arisen around PDF for that purpose.

There's no such thing as a read-only document. Once you send me a copy of a file, that's just bits on a storage drive and I can do whatever I want to it.

You can cryptographically sign a document, which tells you if the doc was tampered with.

You don't need PDF for that, you can do it in Word, but most PDF products make it easy.

Yeah, this is how we use PDFs to do e-signing. It works very well as far as getting responses back. Likely because the recipient doesn't have to be capable of sending a word document back.

Fill in* the spaces, do a digital signature, we both get a copy, hooray.

Qanamil on
  • Options

Well I mean is it like a scheduled thing or was this like after an accident or something?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Well I mean is it like a scheduled thing or was this like after an accident or something?

I will be cryptic and respect his privacy by saying neither

Edit: which is to say it is urgent, scheduled yesterday, not routine, and it has not been immediately obvious precisely what is wrong.

Hopefully we’ll at least know after today

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I continued my run of Bad North today, I got to where I saw the last island. Then three islands before it things started going south, I had to flee once and lost 3 of my reserve commanders. Then the second to last one was one where you recruit - so I couldn't run my full A squad because I had to have room for the recruit. Lost everyone on that island. Which left my ace pikemen as the only squad I had for the final island, and I charged into a mass of people and died valiantly.

Game is hard. That was about a 4 hour run, and nothing carries over. Got super far though, first try!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

Hope it all goes well :bro:

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    we should do a chat lol pickems for worlds, with like $10 buy in or something small that will give it some stakes

https://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/special-event/worlds-pickem-coming

@credeiki @Sir Landshark @Casual Eddy @spool32 idk who else watches pro league

• Options

Edit: which is to say it is urgent, scheduled yesterday, not routine, and it has not been immediately obvious precisely what is wrong.

Hopefully we’ll at least know after today

Well I hope everything turns out all right in your understandably scared time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Geth is phoning it in

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    we should do a chat lol pickems for worlds, with like $10 buy in or something small that will give it some stakes

https://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/special-event/worlds-pickem-coming

credeiki "Sir Landshark" "Casual Eddy" spool32 idk who else watches pro league

oh god I really have no idea

Uzi to win it all, but TL will at least make it out of groups, 100T probably won't, and beyond that I got nothing

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

credeiki "Sir Landshark" "Casual Eddy" spool32 idk who else watches pro league

oh god I really have no idea

Uzi to win it all, but TL will at least make it out of groups, 100T probably won't, and beyond that I got nothing

I'm on the KR hype train as always. I expect a good showing out of Afreeca.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    shiv did you do any research prior to selecting canada as your next destination, and if so, is it in sharable form

I am trying to decide if canada might be an option for my next move and what that would mean in terms of my objections to my current country of residence

I mean, we looked into Canada, but it was really the only option while still staying closeish to family. The research was me looking at a million bureaucratic nightmares. If you have any specific questions, I could try and answer them?

well, canada seems like an easy(ish) move in terms of culture, language, proximity to family still living in the states, etc

but I haven't looked to see like, what are governmental positions on lgbtqia rights, abortion, religion, hate speech, corruption, healthcare, and so on -- basically, current state of law and culture, I guess?

does that make sense? like if I was going to leave the US because I was dissatisfied with our position on eg climate change, I'd want to know that the country I was moving to had a better one

@skippydumptruck ok, so, basically, Kennedy was all "I, the fifth justice who legalized gay marriage, am retiring, Trump gets to pick my replacement lololololololol," and I was like "but I literally just got gay married like three months ago, fffffff." I'd actually wanted to look into Canada for a while, but Querry was not down. Until that night, when she said "so, Canada: should we move there? I think yes. Ok. Yes. Did we just decide to move to Canada? Yes."

So, that was the entire explicit thought process at that point. But it makes sense. We are leaving America specifically and (at the time) exclusively because of worry of top-down persecution. I mean, we're not worried about being murdered*, but it was, even then, transparently clear that Kennedy's retirement meant that my brand new marriage was going to get attritioned down to as small a thing as possible. That was the whole of it, and now is still most of it (once we made the decision, other positives became clearer).

So I have not looked into other issues a ton, because there is a single point on which America is quickly going to become intolerable and Canada is not. Canada also is closer to family than, like, New Zealand. We also meet the requirements to immigrate very quickly, because we are skilled young people with education. Canada also has Pacific Northwest, which I have wanted for a long time. I miss the Pacific. We were always going to move back there. It is the one big thing I have always asked of her.

Anyhow, everything I've looked into other than queer stuff has basically been: Canada has all the problems the US has, but less bad. It has a Trumpish populist - but he's premier of Ontario, not Prime Minster of Canada (incidentally, Ontario dropped from tied with first to tied-with-everyone-who-isn't-British-Columbia because we're leaving America to flee that kind of shit). Healthcare has problems, from what I can tell - but it's better (and way more stable) than what we have here. I think it's been largely the same in most of the ways I've looked at. I don't really have a sense of the specifics of some of those - hate speech and corruption? No idea. Probably better to ask actual Canadians. They seem disappointed about recent elections, for what that's worth?

But it's better in the ways that I care about, and I am not going to have to worry about what the next court case is going to mean for my marriage, or watch the legislature like a hawk, and that means everything right now. Can you imagine not worrying about the government deciding overnight that you don't get all the marital benefits others do? I can't, but I bet it's nice.

*in the places we'd live. I am absolutely on the lookout for being murdered in rural areas.

There is some chance that, were the USA to invalidate same-sex marriage, yours would no longer be recognized by Canada either.

spool32 on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

There is some chance that, were the USA to invalidate same-sex marriage, yours would no longer be recognized by Canada either.

Seems an easy problem to solve if they are living in Canada.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

*comes out dressed as the Count*
    TWO
    TWO WEDDINGS
    AH AH AH

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I've heard from Canadian lawyers that Canada has stricter hate speech laws than then US.

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »

Skippydumptruck ok, so, basically, Kennedy was all "I, the fifth justice who legalized gay marriage, am retiring, Trump gets to pick my replacement lololololololol," and I was like "but I literally just got gay married like three months ago, fffffff." I'd actually wanted to look into Canada for a while, but Querry was not down. Until that night, when she said "so, Canada: should we move there? I think yes. Ok. Yes. Did we just decide to move to Canada? Yes."

*comes out dressed as the Count*
    TWO
    TWO WEDDINGS
    AH AH AH

And a half funeral

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I’m so conflicted about LoL worlds

Don’t wanna support Riot but worlds is so hype

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I suspect that I will be registered as married as soon as I'm in the system. But who knows. We'll see, within a year or so.

• Options
    I am really excited to visit Vancouver. We're doing that this spring.

• Options
    edited October 2018

Only if they become residents citizens. Performing a marriage in Canada that isn't valid for US citizens may not have any validity here - Canadian officials might not even be willing to perform it. There are kinds of marriage legal in various countries that we don't recognize. It wouldn't have any real-world impact though, except on the 1040 form where they wouldn't be able to file a joint return.

spool32 on
  • Options

Only if they become residents. Performing a marriage in Canada that isn't valid for US citizens may not have any validity here - Canadian officials might not even be willing to perform it. There are kinds of marriage legal in various countries that we don't recognize. It wouldn't have any real-world impact though, except on the 1040 form where they wouldn't be able to file a joint return.

The program we are applying for skips straight into permanent residency, because I ain't got time to slow down.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure nobody's laws are ever going to work that way.
    Like even if the US did try to retroactively annull every gay marriage (instead of the much easier tactic of refusing to honor the benefits of those marriages) why would Canada go though the trouble of finding gay expats?

Canada would still recognise it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Bonsai update: things continue to get more out of hand.

The grand display of everything (... except for the large plant and my avocado sprout that I maybe killed):
    utmdf0tr2tyz.jpeg
    The first and third here are the maple sprouts I collected. Today I finally found some sprouts of this one plant that has kind of oak looking leaves, so I moved one of the maple sprouts to clear room for those. The fourth is the delonix regia from the original batch.
    s1nai3ldy1qp.jpeg
    The first two here are the unsprouted delonix regia and jacaranda mimisifolia seeds, followed by the first pinus aristata and the picea mariana (a second one sprouted!):
    k2h2s0rympiv.jpeg
    The first and last here are the other pinus aristata sprouts, the second is a bit of cedar that I broke off and which probably won't grow roots and will die, and the third is the jacaranda mimisifolia sprout:
    uwcyfg6gcoa4.jpeg
    This is the biggest maple sprout I found, followed by some offshoot from a bush by the grocery store that had put down roots:
    bb42gc0wqbtu.jpegdecb5yfyeqjk.jpeg

All in all, they seem to be doing all right.

@So It Goes @desc

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    I've heard from Canadian lawyers that Canada has stricter hate speech laws than then US.

They have a more restrictive idea of speech and their freedoms in that regard are guaranteed less strongly.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    @AresProphet re: path of exile is perfect

the way the game is designed absolutely is brilliant and also internally consistent/true to itself in a way that gives me a boner

but

it takes too long for me to get where I wanna get in the game. I've spent hundreds of hours playing the game but I've never been consistent or committed enough to really be able to play around with builds and see end game stuff. I know this is an easy topic to debate so it's not like I think I'm "right", but I personally know that I need PoE to develop a little faster to love it as much as I want to. it's the main thing diablo 3 has that makes me bother to play it.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

Only if they become residents. Performing a marriage in Canada that isn't valid for US citizens may not have any validity here - Canadian officials might not even be willing to perform it. There are kinds of marriage legal in various countries that we don't recognize. It wouldn't have any real-world impact though, except on the 1040 form where they wouldn't be able to file a joint return.

The program we are applying for skips straight into permanent residency, because I ain't got time to slow down.

That doesn't change your citizenship though!

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure nobody's laws are ever going to work that way.
    Like even if the US did try to retroactively annull every gay marriage (instead of the much easier tactic of refusing to honor the benefits of those marriages) why would Canada go though the trouble of finding gay expats?

Canada would still recognise it.

Yeah they wouldn't bother at all. For purposes of living in Canada, they'd still be considered married. Hell, Canada might even take a positive stance against such a move in the USA.
    it's just, not cut-and-dried.

• Options
    Actually the tax thing would be a big deal, since the US collects from citizens abroad, and while my income + Querry's are likely to collectively be underneath the married allowance, mine alone is likely to be above the single person allowance (and it gets taxed as though it had the allowance underneath it, instead of starting at the lowest rate).

• Options

That’s not relevant here tho. I’m a US permanent resident. If I want to get married I don’t have to fly back to the UK for it, I can get married in the US just fine. No matter what the citizenship status of my marriage partner is

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited October 2018

That’s not relevant here tho. I’m a US permanent resident. If I want to get married I don’t have to fly back to the UK for it, I can get married in the US just fine. No matter what the citizenship status of my marriage partner is

That's correct, but only because the UK says it's cool if you get married abroad and they'll count it as a UK marriage as long as $basic_conditions are met. And further, the USA recognizes UK citizens who are married according to their home country as being married people here as well.

But they don't have to! We don't recognize foreign child weddings here, for example.

spool32 on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm downloading forza now, woo game pass. Add me in xbone you car peoples. Sniperguy710

• Options

@credeiki @Sir Landshark @Casual Eddy @spool32 idk who else watches pro league

I'm down for this!

This discussion has been closed.