Options

Dear G&T, are you doing enough to make this a forum that you are happy with?

2»

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Toons, no amount of me liking you will prevent me from red carding you again if you pull the same crap in this thread. Stop what you're doing.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    That goes for Wren too, and for everyone else. The line is here. No more warnings.

Captain K on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited May 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    And Ramius...what is this thread for then, if not to point out problems the forums have? Just to chastise us for not using our buttons, which by the way, I used about an hour ago to apparently 0 effect? I don't mean to sound like a prick here, but we've got problems, and making a thread to call us retarded isn't gonna fix it.

This thread was to point out one specific problem that the forums had and to offer one particular method that the forumers can use to help counter such a problem.

Nothing more.

If I were to open this up into the "everybody tell me what you think is the biggest problem with x" thread, we would spin our wheels for 2 days and come out really no better on the other side.

What I did by bringing this specific problem and solution to everybody's attention is a more productive use of everyone's time.

p.s. I certainly never called anyone retarded, so please don't insinuate that I did.

Ramius on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am pretty sure that with Tube warning me, and with the infractions I received, I will not be acting like that again. I don't think I'd enjoy being flat-out banned, so I'll be doing what I can to avoid that. I had a moment of weakness, I guess.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Yeah sure, but what could you say besides 'Oh, jolly good prank there Bungie! What a hoot!'

I mean...read the OP and move on. There wasn't much to discuss. That's what rational people do. Trying to hold a conversation in an thread that is pure moron bait is futile.

i'm more of the opinion that it is possible to discuss such topics in a responsible manner, but at the same time, it's pretty-much going to be a magnet for wayward discussion. But then that would be shifting the responsibility for the discussion onto whoever makes the OP, and to me, it seems like a perfectly legitimate OP that got out of hand. It's up to us to make sure it stays on topic.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    omgboomlol wrote: »
    I think the end of your post contradicts the beginning of your post, boomlol.

Howso?

Well, the beginning of your post seems to suggest that the character of a forum is defined by it's users. Then you seem to contradict that by saying that there isn't a characteristic behaviour of any particular forum.

You didn't get the whole of my point. I was saying that while the users define the forum, I meant the boards as a whole. Treating the other subforums like competition is pretty well retarded. There are, I'm sure, a pretty deep userbase that post all over the forum.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I ignore those threads so I never even went in to it to see what was going on.

rayofash on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    so, this may come off sounding inflammatory, but youre basically asking us why we dont do more of your work (as mods) for you?

if i see a thread i dont like, i just wont post in it, and if it looks especially volatile i expect a mod to be doing their duty. i dont know if everyone running around crying wolf because of one bad thread is a solution. a thread that amazingly was left alive after one page considering it clashed 2 of this community's most outspoken fanbases.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ramius wrote: »

If I were to open this up into the "everybody tell me what you think is the biggest problem with x" thread, we would spin our wheels for 2 days and come out really no better on the other side.

p.s. I certainly never called anyone retarded, so please don't insinuate that I did.

Isn't that a HUGE problem in and of itself? We've got problems, which is why this stuff happens. Lets identify them, instead of handing everyone a gun and saying "Shoot it if it shows up looking dangerous."

We're not preventing which seems to make more sense.

And my apologies for insinuating, pheezer's post after yours put a bad taste in my mouth.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that with Tube warning me, and with the infractions I received, I will not be acting like that again. I don't think I'd enjoy being flat-out banned, so I'll be doing what I can to avoid that. I had a moment of weakness, I guess.
    Sorry, this was what I was trying to say with my last post.

We got what the mods think we deserved and that's all taken care of. I just wanted to address the side/back seat modding in this thread.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    so, this may come off sounding inflammatory, but youre basically asking us why we dont do more of your work (as mods) for you?

Mods aren't robots that read every thread, every post. They won't catch everything.

Henroid on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited May 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    That goes for Wren too, and for everyone else. The line is here. No more warnings.

K, it seems like this is increasingly becoming a thread that people are posting in simply because they can.

Also, I'm leaving and won't be here to respond to any legitimate posts that do deserve a reply, so I'm just going to go ahead and lock it.

If a G&T mod wants to try and carry the discussion forward, feel free to unlock, but I don't know how much more there is to be said.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    snak that's a decent observation. But we enabled the Report Post option to help catch situations like this one, where no mods for a particular subforum happen to be online. I got home from work a few hours too late to catch the thread, and the other mods online at the time weren't reading G&T. The Report Post function is useful for getting the attention of all mods, so somebody can crossmod if they have to.

It's also useful for reporting posts that may have slipped under the radar in otherwise decent threads.

Captain K on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Ramius wrote: »

Isn't that a HUGE problem in and of itself? We've got problems, which is why this stuff happens. Lets identify them, instead of handing everyone a gun and saying "Shoot it if it shows up looking dangerous."

We're not preventing which seems to make more sense.

And my apologies for insinuating, pheezer's post after yours put a bad taste in my mouth.

It's actually more like giving everyone a cell phone and saying "Call the cops if it looks like things are getting out of hand." A false report isn't going to do anything besides waste 30 seconds of someone's time. And really, wasting 30 seconds of a mod's time with an overreaction on a reported post isn't a big deal. It's much worse to waste users time by letting a thread sit there because a mod hasn't happened to get to that one yet.

We've got a lot of shit to read, it's not like we can divvy up the forum and make sure every post in every thread gets read through by a mod. If something looks bad, report it. We're not going to yell at you for doing it. If you report things that aren't problems on a constant basis, someone will tell you to stop. If you don't, post reporting can be disabled from your account. You aren't going to get banned, or anything.

If it looks like a post would need action by a mod, either PM someone via Forum Leaders, or report it. At the very worst you'll be told that either the behavior is OK, or that it's already being taken care of.

Monoxide on
This discussion has been closed.