As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Those eggs fucking died.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I meant about the toxic machismo, not that Navy and Air Force pilots are the same.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I meant about the toxic machismo, not that Navy and Air Force pilots are the same.

Yes I'm just joking that either would get mad at you for confusing them

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Is Top Gun really a beloved film? I mean lets be honest here its not exactly The Adventures of Ford Fairlane.

Hell yea. I love Top Gun.

Unironically.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'd say Top Gun is a Top 20 movie for me, maybe Top 25 if this trend continues of one new good movie a year getting on my list (how many Paddingtons will we get?!?!?!?!?!). The plane stuff is still aces, the drama/romance portion is solid if really predictable now because so much copied it

edit: and it's soundtrack is still one of the best ever, maybe Caddyshack has a better one

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Mc zany wrote: »
    This sounds a lot like when HD became a thing.

Movies were more then HD before HD came along.

Yeah. 35mm is equivalent to 4K, and 70mm is close to 12K.

I'm not sure if its a conversion thing or what but there's definitely some HD conversions of old movies where shit jumps out at you

like wires or makeup that are totally noticeable on blu-ray that were fine on 35mm

Some of it is literally just because you're watching it on a smaller screen.

This was less of an issue back when all televisions were also SD.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I'd say Top Gun is a Top 20 movie for me, maybe Top 25 if this trend continues of one new good movie a year getting on my list (how many Paddingtons will we get?!?!?!?!?!). The plane stuff is still aces, the drama/romance portion is solid if really predictable now because so much copied it

There is a really good book written by the pilot of one of the planes in Top Gun. He did (one pilots) flying for the movie. If you're into aviation its super neat and nerdy (an entire chapter on pre-launch carrier stuff which is fascinating) and also pretty cool from a movie making perspective on how they got some of those shots.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's kind of sad Top Gun is considered the standard for dog fighting films, we need something like Ace Combat with full on squad VS squad aerial warfare. Most of Top Gun is just training with one random skirmish that wasn't due to a battle.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    When it came out, Top Gun was like Star Wars and the Marvel movies rolled together and then some. The soundtrack was on every radio, dudes all over were wearing that jacket and those shades, and Tom Cruise was the sexiest man in the Milky Way. It raised recruitment levels of the Navy, caused a bump in motorcycle sales, and even made volleyball more popular.

Movies just don’t hit the culture that hard anymore.

• Options
    Ace Combat 4 is one of my Top 3 games ever, and that story told onscreen would be perfect (they even have basic storyboards ready with the chapters and narration already there). I mean I'd settle for a good quality animoo movie with good 3d modeling, that final mission of taking out Stonehenge could be a beauty in the right hands.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Is Top Gun really a beloved film? I mean lets be honest here its not exactly The Adventures of Ford Fairlane.

You mean The Pest starring John Leguizamo

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It's kind of sad Top Gun is considered the standard for dog fighting films, we need something like Ace Combat with full on squad VS squad aerial warfare. Most of Top Gun is just training with one random skirmish that wasn't due to a battle.

I think you can really tell it's real flying and not CGI craziness that we would get now-a-days.
    Plus, thats what i really like about it. The antagonist isnt some maniacal villain, its the inherent danger of being a fighter pilot. The flying itself is the conflict, not the action. If that makes sense.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    But he was just rhyming Danger Zone with Danger Zone!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I think you can really tell it's real flying and not CGI craziness that we would get now-a-days.
    Plus, thats what i really like about it. The antagonist isnt some maniacal villain, its the inherent danger of being a fighter pilot. The flying itself is the conflict, not the action. If that makes sense.

True, but I do so love a good cinematic dogfight. Rogue One had some amazing capship battles.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ace Combat 4 is one of my Top 3 games ever, and that story told onscreen would be perfect (they even have basic storyboards ready with the chapters and narration already there). I mean I'd settle for a good quality animoo movie with good 3d modeling, that final mission of taking out Stonehenge could be a beauty in the right hands.

Go on. How does one play that game?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Go on. How does one play that game?

It's not our Stonehenge, it's a different Earth that had frequent asteroid attacks so the world's nations built a big base full of railguns to shoot down asteroids and the enemy country took it over to use against everyone else. And the whole point to the mission is to also have your character go up against the l33t Ace Squad of the enemy country, it's really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF030SKoeCA

And then there was another mission called Megalith where you blow it up Death Star 2 style while dogfighting outside with asteroid fragments falling around you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogmNZqlrBGQ

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

edit: and it's soundtrack is still one of the best ever, maybe Caddyshack has a better one

I like the implication that every year you’re adding one Paddington movie to the top of the list until they stop making them, and that’s it for new good movies

And by “like” I mean I don’t understand you at all

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its not a true Top gun sequel if Maverick and Iceman aren't living in wedded bliss.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

I like the implication that every year you’re adding one Paddington movie to the top of the list until they stop making them, and that’s it for new good movies

While Paddington 1 rocketed up to the #3 all time spot behind Goodfellas and Spinal Tap, and P2 is probably #11 going by the quick math in my head, there was also Your Name, What We Do In the Shadows and Hell or High Water, the latter is probably #5 right now.

Look, we just have to see how well Angel Has Fallen will be, ok? Will it be like Rocky III being better than I & II (meaning _____ Has Fallen #4 will be the best in the series)? More than likely!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I've never seen Top Gun and have no opinion about it but I enjoyed this review of it
    Top Gun
    Jim Cash, Jack Epps Jr., and Tony Scott, 1986

Top Gun is my standard answer on those rare occasions that someone asks me what my least favorite movie is. Quite often those who ask — usually students — are stunned, having expected me to name some low-budget B-movie. But Top Gun is the archetype of formulaic tripe, and its blatant attempt to narrow the range of acceptable thought is borrowed directly from the old "less filling tastes great" commercials. Will you support that devil-may-care Maverick, or are you more of a by-the-book Navy brass type? Either way, you end up on the same side at the end when our boys are blowing up insectoid Soviet pilots... who are defending their own airspace, but never mind that. Apparently this was one of the most effective military recruitment films ever, though I have to imagine that the Marines commercial that promises that the people you kill will just blink out of existence is a close second. Well, third, behind the one that offers the chance to fight lava monsters.
    http://adamcadre.ac/calendar/12/12530.html

wandering on
  • Options
    wandering wrote: »
    I've never seen Top Gun and have no opinion about it but I enjoyed this review of it
    Top Gun

Top Gun is my standard answer on those rare occasions that someone asks me what my least favorite movie is. Quite often those who ask — usually students — are stunned, having expected me to name some low-budget B-movie. But Top Gun is the archetype of formulaic tripe, and its blatant attempt to narrow the range of acceptable thought is borrowed directly from the old "less filling tastes great" commercials. Will you support that devil-may-care Maverick, or are you more of a by-the-book Navy brass type? Either way, you end up on the same side at the end when our boys are blowing up insectoid Soviet pilots... who are defending their own airspace, but never mind that. Apparently this was one of the most effective military recruitment films ever, though I have to imagine that the Marines commercial that promises that the people you kill will just blink out of existence is a close second. Well, third, behind the one that offers the chance to fight lava monsters.

My one quibble is that Top Gun is hilariously vague about just who they are fighting. The enemy are bad guys in Migs with big red stars on the wings - generic commie menace. They might as well have been Cobra.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Top Gun

My one quibble is that Top Gun is hilariously vague about just who they are fighting. The enemy are bad guys in Migs with big red stars on the wings - generic commie menace. They might as well have been Cobra.

It's an artifact of the movie having not set up any conflict before then that allows them to have a dogfight.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Man it would've been sweet if they were Cobra though

Solar on
  • Options
    Its not a true Top gun sequel if Maverick and Iceman aren't living in wedded bliss.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o7IgwDqJhno

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Top Gun

As a young(er) nerd with something of an enthusiasm for warplanes of the era, borne by the ubiquity of the 8- and 16-bit flight simulator genre on home computers of the time, my biggest quibble with Top Gun was that the "Soviets" were flying F-5 Tigers. Which the likes of Viper and Jester (IIRC) were also flying in earlier training sequences.

Damn the realities of Cold War era filmmaking, and the difficulty/expense of the amazing footage they did shoot (some of that shit is breathtaking and CGI simply would not be the same) but I would have loved to have seen actual MiGs. Or at least something I didn't instantly recognize as a USN/USMC fighter :)

They were the right planes to be used as adversary trainers, though, so that part was right!

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Top Gun

As a young(er) nerd with something of an enthusiasm for warplanes of the era, borne by the ubiquity of the 8- and 16-bit flight simulator genre on home computers of the time, my biggest quibble with Top Gun was that the "Soviets" were flying F-5 Tigers. Which the likes of Viper and Jester (IIRC) were also flying in earlier training sequences.

Damn the realities of Cold War era filmmaking, and the difficulty/expense of the amazing footage they did shoot (some of that shit is breathtaking and CGI simply would not be the same) but I would have loved to have seen actual MiGs. Or at least something I didn't instantly recognize as a USN/USMC fighter :)

They were the right planes to be used as adversary trainers, though, so that part was right!

Ha! That reminds me of all the war/spy movies of that era who used to film in Israel because they had so much captured Soviet-made gear lying around after the wars.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    The Hobbit in 48 fps looked like a 1980's made-for-tv movie with how incredibly fake everything looked.

I really likd the 48 fps, it made everything clearer.

yeah, sure, I could see that some of the "metal" was rubber etc. but that's an issue with prop quality.

I could also what the hell was going on in what would otherwise be a confusing action scene, which is something I appreaciate a lot more.

Maybe it's just bad eye sight on my part, but I am sad that the 48fps thing hasn't caught on. I personally liked it.

It's also a quick way to completely stomp out small studios from doing anything other than "Real World Things" without sfx, since anything requiring props or special effects will likely balloon budgets far beyond where they are now. Double the frames, double the render time.

• Options
    Just happened to watch two wildly different yet highly praised Korean films back to back.

Train to Busan

Original premise, well made, but... it's still, frankly, very predictably a zombie movie. Firing on all cylinders, production-wise, but predictable as f.
    Also,
    needlessly depressing. I'm glad the ending didn't go full Night of the Living Dead, but it's still pretty damn bleak. There's no way Busan has a prayer against what's coming, and I think they should have let the father get there with his daughter.

Now The Handmaiden... that's a masterpiece, twists on twists on twists.

Don't watch that among family though, yeesh. That makes Blue Is The Warmest Color look like a Disney channel movie.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Top Gun

I had the exact same complaint watching it as a kid! I wish they could have even used another NATO plane, like a French Mirage or something, to distinguish from the F-5's.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Astaereth wrote: »

While Paddington 1 rocketed up to the #3 all time spot behind Goodfellas and Spinal Tap, and P2 is probably #11 going by the quick math in my head, there was also Your Name, What We Do In the Shadows and Hell or High Water, the latter is probably #5 right now.

Look, we just have to see how well Angel Has Fallen will be, ok? Will it be like Rocky III being better than I & II (meaning _____ Has Fallen #4 will be the best in the series)? More than likely!

If Angel Has Fallen is bad, will that mean that the Has Fallen series has fallen off?

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The enemy planes in Top Gun weren’t defending their own airspace, they were threatening a disabled ship in international waters.

I always kind of liked Iron Eagle but it’s been years since I saw it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Captain Marvel is supposed to be a mix of "Top Gun and The Terminator" and the cat in the trailers name is Goose.

Which, yeah, Top Gun.

I loved Iron Eagle as a kid, but like Dan it's been since the year started with 19 that I saw the movie.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    You guys. I'm not alone. <3

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I've always loved top gun, even if it is silly. I was actually on the enterprise in the navy, which is depicted in the film , and used a lot of their pilots for the film if I remember right, but was only used for one scene in the movie. Can't remember which carrier most of it was filmed on.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    There’s also Clint Eastwood’s Firefox which was technically advanced for the time but got panned by most critics.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    There’s also Clint Eastwood’s Firefox which was technically advanced for the time but got panned by most critics.

Firefox is also dark and nihilistic. It’s tonally the opposite of Top Gun.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The enemy planes in Top Gun weren’t defending their own airspace, they were threatening a disabled ship in international waters.

Actually, the ship was in foreign territory. It had been in international water, then became disabled, and drifted into somewhere it wasn't supposed to be, probably because it was a spy ship.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    My issue with Top Gun is that the F-14 is supposed to blow you the fuck out of the sky from miles away. This actually happened with Libya a couple times in the mid-80s.

But yes, dogfights are more exciting.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The story for Top Gun is interesting because Maverick fucks up and makes the wrong choice at literally every turn and still ends up the hero somehow.

• Options
    I mean I always blamed Iceman for Goose's death, not Mav. Stop taking so long to line up the damn shot, you either got it or you don't.

This discussion has been closed.