As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Cross-posting from SE++ because I really like this movie and want as many people to see it as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkAAAGEyFS8

Heavy Trip is an absolute blast to watch. It is undoubtedly the funniest, and sweetest, film about a Finnish symphonic post-apocalyptic reindeer-grinding christ-abusing extreme war pagan fennoscandian metal band that you will ever see. It's about a group of friends who only want to be a successful metal band and are unsurprisingly misunderstood and poorly treated by the people of their small town, and how they finally start to move beyond playing covers in their guitarist's parents' basement. I went into it totally blind, only knowing it involved a Finnish death metal band and that the movie was a big hit with the crowd at a film festival I normally attend but missed this year.

You don't need to like metal to enjoy it - the movie is at 91% on Rotten Tomatoes and has done very well at film festivals in the past year. Hell, I haven't listened to metal in 25 years, and never enjoyed death metal anyway. I've watched Heavy Trip twice since it became available on demand in late October, with two different groups of people, and everyone who I've seen it with has loved it. It's a legit contender for my favorite film of 2018. At its core it's a typical underdog story, but done very well and about people who rarely get such a human portrayal on screen.

It's available to rent for 99 cents on VUDU right now, or to own digitally for $6.99. I think it's well worth that price to own, but if it seems even remotely appealing you should at least try the 99 cent rental and give it a shot.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Watched MI Fallout, which was eh? Okay? Hey what the hell does IMF stand for? I bet they all do not work for the International Monetary Fund.

Also, watching Kurt Russel Christmas and goddamn. I am down with a fuckable Santa Claus.

Its dumber than you expect

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Impossible Mission Force, isn't it?

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Watched MI Fallout, which was eh? Okay? Hey what the hell does IMF stand for? I bet they all do not work for the International Monetary Fund.

Also, watching Kurt Russel Christmas and goddamn. I am down with a fuckable Santa Claus.

Impossible Missions Force, but the acronym for a real life group being used bugs me every time.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    They should have just made them the lethal forces branch of the actual IMF.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Impossible

Impossible Mission Force.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Kurt Russel Santa Claus is a fantastic movie with real heart and if it had come out in 1993 it would be on constant rotation every holiday season on my house.

Probably still will be assuming Netflix doesn't go bankrupt.

There were two yelp moments for me.
    When Ugg the Elf trips with the chainsaw and cuts the hat of his fellow elf I audibly said "What the fuck!" because from the angle it looked like he cut his buddy's head clean off. Then the Ms. Claus cameo is beautiful.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Spiderverse was so fucking good, you guys

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Improvised Explosive Force

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Reviews for The Mule are harsh and yet not remotely surprising.

Apparently, it’s another paean to right-wing granddads who know better than everyone, especially uppity women and brown folk.

Clint, you rascal!

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

Clint, you rascal!
    v2viuad7mwa0.jpg

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Clint, you rascal!
    v2viuad7mwa0.jpg

Man those pants are high

• Options
    S H O E G A S M

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Reviews for The Mule are harsh and yet not remotely surprising.

Apparently, it’s another paean to right-wing granddads who know better than everyone, especially uppity women and brown folk.

Clint, you rascal!
    Yeah, it looks extremely "hard man does hard things for the good of his unappreciative family, why don't you love him?". And I just don't have the energy to give a shit about that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i know i'm late to the party and i'm repeating what others have said but Fantastic Beast was a waste of so much opportunity. See Grindelwald shows a vision of world war 2 and the bomb and other stuff and he wants to save people suffering....this is kind of compelling but
    literally two scenes earlier they kill a BABY to show how evil these people are
    i wish it had been crazy adventures of Newt rangling up some new beast or setting it free or learning the power of love or something but this is just bad. AVOID!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    S H O E G A S M

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    To early in the day for that.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    S H O E G A S M

But enough about Quentin Tarantino

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    S H O E G A S M

But enough about Quentin Tarantino

Nah, shoes get in the way for him

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The Funeral

More 80's Japan! This one is the first feature by Juzo Itami, the man best known for his second film, the vignette driven food and sex comedy Tampopo. This one's different, much more in line with the focus of traditional Japanese filmmaking, but it carries some of the satirical edge of the film that followed it. It's a pretty interesting movie.

It's set over three days, observing the death of an elderly man through to the final speeches given in his honor. It might sound a bit dour, but it's handled with a gentle optimism and even some surprising bawdiness. The drama doesn't come so much from inter-personal conflict on the part of the family, but almost private conflict between the many characters and their expectations and executions of ritual and tradition; what loss and preservation mean to people of different generations and understandings. It's nothing new for its time, but Itami's emotional, middle-brow sensibilities make it far more approachable than the more solemn or austere interpretations this kind of material is often given. It's the sort of film that many people will walk away remembering, quite vividly, a different moment of.

Tenzytile on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Woohoo - three movie nights in a row! First, Shoplifters (by Hirokazu Kore-eda), which I liked a lot, though perhaps not as much as critics and juries. It is a beautiful depiction of an unconventional family, with the usual fantastic performances (seriously, are there any other directors as good as Kore-eda at directing kids?), but I wouldn't say I liked it better than, say, Still Walking or After Life, which is still my favourite Kore-eda. I'll have to think about the film some more, mind you, because it's definitely not letting me go.

Followed by The Diary of a Teenage Girl. I wasn't quite prepared for how much sex there'd be; I knew it was about a 15-year old girl's affair with her mother's boyfriend, but boy, does the main character get it on a lot with others as well. It's a tightrope walk of a film because it could easily become tasteless and exploitative, and the whimsy of the style makes it even more difficult to pull this off well, but the actors and especially Bel Powley as the lead make it work very well, balancing humour, poignancy and an earnest (but not uncritically so) look at characters who are messy, insecure and prone to fucking it up big time - without the film ever becoming moralistic in the process.

Finally, The Salesman. Again, very good thanks to its performers, but it's difficult for Farhadi to top About Elly, the one of his that I've liked best so far. The Salesman makes one big mistake, as far as I'm concerned: in telling the story of a middle-class Iranian couple whose relationship is seriously threatened when the wife gets assaulted in her flat, the film criticises the husband for making her trauma all about himself and his need for... justice? revenge? or perhaps just understanding exactly what has happened? ... but in doing so, The Salesman also makes itself primarily about him and his second-hand trauma. The critique rings a bit hollow if the film basically does the same thing as the one it critiques. Sure, form follows function, but to my mind the film would be better if it gave the female lead more to do, as a counterpoint.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Clint, you rascal!
    Apparently he has not just one but two
    threesomes
    in the film.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Aistan wrote: »
    Impossible Mission Force, isn't it?

Improvised mollusk fest

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Cross-posting from SE++ because I really like this movie and want as many people to see it as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkAAAGEyFS8

Heavy Trip is an absolute blast to watch. It is undoubtedly the funniest, and sweetest, film about a Finnish symphonic post-apocalyptic reindeer-grinding christ-abusing extreme war pagan fennoscandian metal band that you will ever see. It's about a group of friends who only want to be a successful metal band and are unsurprisingly misunderstood and poorly treated by the people of their small town, and how they finally start to move beyond playing covers in their guitarist's parents' basement. I went into it totally blind, only knowing it involved a Finnish death metal band and that the movie was a big hit with the crowd at a film festival I normally attend but missed this year.

You don't need to like metal to enjoy it - the movie is at 91% on Rotten Tomatoes and has done very well at film festivals in the past year. Hell, I haven't listened to metal in 25 years, and never enjoyed death metal anyway. I've watched Heavy Trip twice since it became available on demand in late October, with two different groups of people, and everyone who I've seen it with has loved it. It's a legit contender for my favorite film of 2018. At its core it's a typical underdog story, but done very well and about people who rarely get such a human portrayal on screen.

It's available to rent for 99 cents on VUDU right now, or to own digitally for $6.99. I think it's well worth that price to own, but if it seems even remotely appealing you should at least try the 99 cent rental and give it a shot.

Saw this last night and it was the best movie about a Symphonic Post-Apocalyptic Reindeer-Grinding Christ-Abusing Extreme War Pagan Fennoscandian Metal band with a crowd surfing coffin. Would totally buy a special edition Blu-Ray with an Impaled Rektum demo track if they ever make it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Damn did Mortal Engines flop, only $7.5 milly on a 100 milly production (so likely $200m total budget). Now I bet Universal tries to greenlight another Fast & Furious movie or Jurassic Park spinoff to recoup that loss.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Damn did Mortal Engines flop, only $7.5 milly on a 100 milly production (so likely $200m total budget). Now I bet Universal tries to greenlight another Fast & Furious movie or Jurassic Park spinoff to recoup that loss.

Fast & Furious 9: Triassic Drift

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Nothing says a Velociraptor can't drive a car

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I was just about to post this. I might be able to Red Box this movie in a month!

• Options
    They really seemed to struggle to come up with a target in their marketing. Like is it an end of the world movie? Young adult? Just real weird?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    They really seemed to struggle to come up with a target in their marketing. Like is it an end of the world movie? Young adult? Just real weird?

"That del Toro punk thinks he can make a hit with giant robots fighting giant monsters? Well I, Peter Jackson, will make a movie about gianter robots fighting even gianter robots! Gwa ha ha!"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

"That del Toro punk thinks he can make a hit with giant robots fighting giant monsters? Well I, Peter Jackson, will make a movie about gianter robots fighting even gianter robots! Gwa ha ha!"

Jackson didn't direct this though.

• Options

They really cut back on the "Its about giant cities that move" thing in their later marketing in favor of "look at this girl, she's a special girl, there'll be reasons". Which I mean I guess that's fine as far as marketing goes but it didn't really do much for them.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    shryke wrote: »

Jackson didn't direct this though.

You're right and I feel Universal was trying to trick me here.
    cfoamh2dmgdl.jpg

emnmnme on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Peter Jackson has been talking about the movie in the social media trailer I see every time I open Instagram. I don’t know what he did for the movie but they seem to be trying to sell it with his name.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Wait... Peter Jackson didn't actually direct it? The fuck? I thought that was the selling point.

Ah screen writer with 4 other people.

urahonky on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    If they don't explicitly say "From the Director of", they are trying to trick you.

Usually version are:
    From the makers of
    From the team that brought you
    From the creators of
    From the producers of

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Don't worry, I heard that one of the reasons the film isn't so good is that Peter kept telling them to change things.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That first Mortal Engines teaser had me on board. What was that, last year? Then there was nothing, for what felt like ages and I forgot about it. Then a new trailer that was all, uhhh... hmm. Shit, even the change of logo was a step down from that first teaser. Now I pretty much don't care. I'll probably see it eventually but I'm not going out of my way to do so.

In other news, apparently Bumblebee's release date over here is now the 26th. That is not what they'd been saying even recently, I'm sure, and I missed a couple of preview screenings today. I'd been hoping to go tomorrow or Tuesday, but that's out of the window.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Isn't the original Mortal Engines about walking cities that attack smaller, weaker moving cities for resources?

Like that sounds bonkers weird.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Also opening against Spider-Man in a holiday already packed with youth-focused offerings is pants-on-head

This discussion has been closed.